To QB run or not?

Tecmo-Mad-Brad

Read plenty of debates here whether or not it's for the betterment of the game to limit QB runs.  I've received brushback about the 1 QB run per qtr rule we use during our regular house sessions.  We have some distinct reasons why we limit QB runs, and it has to do with a deep understanding of the game's mechanics, and how we get the best tactical / strategical experience from playing it.  It's a level of understanding Tecmo Bowl, that virtually nobody else has achieved, so I can see why people are not receptive to the idea of limited QB runs.     

In a recent tournament in Des Moines, IA (with no rules in place) we faced a player who QB ran the majority of the time.  He ran an effective run/pass option and beat other from the field anywhere from 38-0 to 52-0.  However when he played us, we held him to 0, 6, and 7 points.  Our defensive principles held up really well, and ultimately his offense lacked an ability to generate big plays downfield.  This was due to a combo of our knowledge to create CPU pass coverage help, discipline on defense preventing the big pass plays, and not biting early on his QB rushes.  I will say that QB running helped him in a way that others struggled against us.  He was able to better control time of possession than others, and ultimately limit our offensive opportunities.  Against far lesser players he repeatedly torched them with 15-20 yard passes as they came up to stop his QB.  When he needed larger chunks of yardage than the standard 4-5 yard runs against us, he got into semi unfamiliar territory needing to fit passes in certain sized windows, and I forced a couple INTs.    

From the standpoint of playing inferior players it worked wonders.  For the record this guy didn't know the amount we do about defense, but he had a system that worked pretty well forcing us to drive down the field in smaller chunks of yardage.  He had a complete game IMO.  In 3 tournaments, I can say that he is without question the absolute best player we faced from outside our group.  There's merit to QB running, but it's still a flawed offensive approach.

One thing unlimited QB runs does is basically nullify the different playbooks and player personnel.  If you use it a ton, it removes the differences from one team to the next....for the most part.  That's where I take issue with unlimited QB runs.  Granted the majority of games I play are against friends, and we draw up schedules for each of the 12 teams, and do a season with all of them...so our usual format has more to do with the "team match-ups" and builds up to the playoffs.  Whereas the tournament setting is more about my skills vs your skills, and less about the teams...which I'm not as enthusiastic about despite winning 3 tourneys this year.  

Perhaps I'm a purist, or I just know too much, but QB running 17 times a game just isn't for me.  A friend of mine used to QB run a ton, and it limited his production.  I was always admonishing him because of the yards and opportunities he lost by taking the safe route with QB runs.  Eventually he became one of the greatest passers in TB that I have seen, and an all around elite player.  Before he embraced the pure QB style, he had little chance to beat me...now it's 50/50.

Master the passing attack, and the world is yours 

I don't know if a lot of people know about this, but there is actually a "cheat" you can use to beat any computer or help coverage.  It entails running the QB to the line of scrimmage and just as you are about to pass the line pass it to any computer covered receiver.  The defense will run back towards the QB and the receiver will be wide open.  I have posted about this in the past.  Found out about this years ago on accident when my friends would always play pick Pass 1 against the Niners and render Jerry Rice a non factor. 

If this were to happen in a tournament how would you rule on this. I don't play a whole lot of Tecmo Bowl anymore, but with little or no practice I can do it regularly. What if someone used this as a "viable" offense.  They would be unstoppable if they timed it correctly.

If you open the attached ROM in Fceux and go to the menu and hit watch movie and select the .fm2 file then you can watch this movie and at the end you will see what I am talking about.

Tecmo Bowl (USA) (Rev A)-0.fm2

Tecmo Bowl (USA) (Rev A).nes

Edited by TheFes75

I can't say I've played regular Tecmo Bowl much so this may not apply as much. The risk-reward with many things in Tecmo is a bit broken in terms of how it would work normally. It's this way for Qb running. Especially in a tournament setting or preseason mode where injuries are off. 

Normally running/taking hits a lot with your QB the risks would be

1. He gets injured. The better the QB...the worse your backup is the more this de-rails your entire offense. In a season mode if he's lost for a whole season its a massive hit. In tecmo super bowl if you l 

2. He fumbles... I don't have any data for this but you would think QB's in general would fumble more than other skill positions. However I put this risk much lower than #1. 

Also strategically you can't force the Qb not to run. You can't have a LB spy while manning a DB. 

The rewards are:

1. It's usually a pretty safe way to either get 5-6 yards and go out of bounds to avoid any chance of fumble or hit a WR for a big play who is open. 

2. Their randomized fumble rate is only a tiny bit higher than most other players. 

So the main risk of the QB running a lot is taken away in Tecmo. 

I don't really like the idea of a rule as I'd rather see the game fixed by fixing the above problems. Since you sort of need the qb scramble/ open man dilemna to make the passing game work as intended at least in TSB. Otherwise on a fair number of pass plays the decision boils down to throw it to your deepest and and best WR.