Madden-Tecmo Calculator

For my next project, I am working on a calculator that converts ratings from annual Madden football games to Tecmo-friendly numbers.  Bear in mind, this is not the end-all-be-all of ratings, but it's pretty close and should be used for reference purposes.

My reason for doing this is because over the years, I've left the annual TSB games to the other members of the site.  The only annuals I've released are historcal annuals from past seasons.  Well, I would like to contribute to the annual releases by throwing my ROMs in the metaphorical hat.  I will be using this calculator for personal use, but I will make it available for everybody else to use. 

Although still in its infancy, it's coming along nicely.  At the moment, I've only got the Running Backs programmed.  For a preview, I've attached a screenshot of what Pittsburgh Steeler Le'Veon Bell's attributes will look like when plugged into the calculator.

Untitled.png

Here's the scale I used (The number in parenthesis is the Madden rating, the number to the left is the associated Tecmo rating).  In Madden, the highest CTH (catch) rating among running backs is 75, and in the original TSB the highest Receptions rating among RBs and FBs is 69.  Same with the lowest ratings of 42 (Madden) and 19 (Tecmo).  From there, I grouped ratings accordingly.  This is the process I'm using for the entire ROM.

Untitled.png

keep in mind that 69 rec was keith byers, who could actually catch like a boss in real life and, more importantly to my point, had 31 MS and 38 HP.  and he was the only rb with 69 REC on the whole game.  

I understand you're using M@dden as a starting point, and it's cool, but I would take the 69/63 REC for a RB with a grain of low MS salt.

or else you are gonna end up with RBs that are better than most WRs.

I've kept a small sampling of RBs in the high REC rating grouping.  In regards to Le'Veon Bell, I think he's pretty deserving of a high REC rating.  Take this year for instance: He's the team's #2 WR in both receptions and receiving yards.  He's #2, behind Antonio Brown.  There won't be a lot of RBs in the 60's, or even 50's.  From my sampling, a majority will fall in the 31-44 range.

it's all good.  I thought you were using madden ratings -  are you using stats, too?  

but as I am seeing it, leveon bell, with his 8 Y/rec and 1 REC TD, is gonna be better than most WRs, I bet.  and that is because of his 56 MS/RS.

and doesn't john l williams of tsb have like 25 MS...

like I said above, I would take the high RB REC with a grain of low MS salt.  madden doesn't exactly translate to tsb, wait, it does now.  never mind.

Edited by buck

is it automated - or do you have to go in and manually type in madden numbers?  I would suspect that after a while of typing in numbers and seeing the results you would start to be able to assume the translation and eventually not even need the tool

7 minutes ago, buck said:

is it automated - or do you have to go in and manually type in madden numbers?  I would suspect that after a while of typing in numbers and seeing the results you would start to be able to assume the translation and eventually not even need the tool

It's manual.  I'm pulling the Madden ratings from https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/player-ratings/

Over time, you're right, you probably won't need the tool.  For me, although the actual ratings could be up for debate, at least they'll be consistent.  For all of the Tecmo ratings, there is a bell curve... small samplings at the extreme edges (miniumum and maximum), with the largest sampling being in the middle.  I'm trying to make the calculator reflect this, as well.  For every Throwing Accuracy Mid-Rating Ben Roethlisberger (96) and Tom Brady (98) at one end, and Jake Coker (67) and Cardale Jones (69) at the other, there is a huge sampling of Derek Andersons (76) and Matt Cassel (76) in the middle.  This heavy middle sampling will likely get the heavily sampled TSB rating of 44 for Pass Control.

39 minutes ago, Baron von Lector said:

It's manual.  I'm pulling the Madden ratings from https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/player-ratings/

CSV import option? wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink 

Just now, davefmurray said:

CSV import option? wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink 

I hate to admit this, but in the realm of Visual Basic programming, this is beyond my expertise level.  I don't take Advanced VB programming until next semester.

Pretty cool tool as a starting point. Might want to incorporate a few more of the madden ratings that don't translate at all to tecmo make up for speed being almost everything in tecmo. It would probably make the formulas more complex. Example for WR's you would lower their reception value if their route running rating and awareness was poor.  

0755d0372b.png

Vlookup tables/formulas in excel would likely let you use a .xls file to mass convert ratings without having to spend a lot of time coding a CSV importer and converter.

I will likely adjust my formulas as right now they are simple one-to-one comparisons.  I noticed that in my Brady-Griffin comparison, they both had equal "Avoid Pass Block" ratings of low 44s.  My APB rating is taken from "Throw on Run."  I will likely incorporate Awareness into the forumla as well, for starters.  I've got Madden's "Throw Power" as the determining factor for Tecmo's "Pass Speed" and Accuracy Short and Mid (Madden) determining Pass Control and Accuracy (Tecmo).

This was @Tecmonster's sheet for converting ratings. Another data point if you will http://tecmobowl.org/forums/topic/54894-new-player-ratings-based-on-madden/

I would do it differently but every person is going to have slightly different opinion. 

The biggest difference in Madden is that players raw athletic ratings (agility, accelartion, speed) match the position they play much more. If you used a linear scale basically all corners would be 56+MS and all DT's would be like 13 MS. LOL 

Where as in OG tecmo basically all defensive positions have the same spread of speed ratings. 

13 hours ago, MartinFN said:

Nice,

Just a quick note, (not to be an ass) ,it might be easier to make an Excel spreadsheet and convert whole teams/rosters? One by one is a pain in the derier. Vlookup for the win.

I completely agree.  However, this vlookup that you speak of is completely out of my realm of expertise.  I wouldn't know where to begin.  Is this a programming thing?  An Excel thing?