The Legend of Tecmo Super Bowl via the Ringer

Knobbe

Great look into the how Tecmo influences today's popular culture

https://theringer.com/the-legend-of-tecmo-super-bowl-8824647ea94d#.yc30k1k5o

Also, this was a new one for me

CxepAsrVEAA6oSJ.jpg

Also @ragu0012 mentioned by name about tracking down the Tecmo programmers!

Good article. I liked this part:

By now, Tecmo Super Bowl and its stars are inextricable. The players, particularly the ones who’ve mostly avoided the limelight since retiring from the NFL, have long since come to this realization. “You basically become a legend,” said former Giants linebacker Carl Banks.

to me the thing that makes TSB so great is: #1 - the quality, the gameplay, and the genius of the game itself.  you can sit and pop 1000x NES roms in and out all day and MAYBE find 1 in 25 that are even worth playing for more than 1 minute.  most are a joke and make the NES look like a piece of ancient novelty gaming garbage.  but, TSB makes the NES an actual immortal and indispensable gaming system.  

TSB is just a great game and feat of programming insight and execution.  TSB really stands out from other NES games, I mean it stands out like a bar of gold sitting on a pile of cow shit.

then of course, #2 is the star power in the game, like the article says.  but man, the early 90s were just a GREAT time in history for the NFL.  barry, bo, joe, jerry, bills, cunningham, LT.  just great times and great football players!  it'd be hard to go wrong making a game with those players and teams, but TSB is just an unequaled game.

to paraphrase a knobbe quote, "TSB is easy to pick up and learn, but hard to master".

Edited by buck