Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Knobbe

The Legend of Tecmo Super Bowl via the Ringer

6 posts in this topic

Good article. I liked this part:

By now, Tecmo Super Bowl and its stars are inextricable. The players, particularly the ones who’ve mostly avoided the limelight since retiring from the NFL, have long since come to this realization. “You basically become a legend,” said former Giants linebacker Carl Banks.

to me the thing that makes TSB so great is: #1 - the quality, the gameplay, and the genius of the game itself.  you can sit and pop 1000x NES roms in and out all day and MAYBE find 1 in 25 that are even worth playing for more than 1 minute.  most are a joke and make the NES look like a piece of ancient novelty gaming garbage.  but, TSB makes the NES an actual immortal and indispensable gaming system.  

TSB is just a great game and feat of programming insight and execution.  TSB really stands out from other NES games, I mean it stands out like a bar of gold sitting on a pile of cow shit.

then of course, #2 is the star power in the game, like the article says.  but man, the early 90s were just a GREAT time in history for the NFL.  barry, bo, joe, jerry, bills, cunningham, LT.  just great times and great football players!  it'd be hard to go wrong making a game with those players and teams, but TSB is just an unequaled game.

to paraphrase a knobbe quote, "TSB is easy to pick up and learn, but hard to master".

Edited by buck

44 minutes ago, buck said:

most are a joke and make the NES look like a piece of ancient novelty gaming garbage

I'd still take @davefmurray dream of a nothing but Tebows TSB over 10 Yard Fight. 

I'm trying to put myself in snoop dogg's shoes... playing Tecmo on my small TV with Sunday Night Football on my big tv, get high as f---, see my Tecmo team's running back on television, I guess I'll pick up the phone and holla at him. Boss