davefmurray

[Tourney Discussion] Glossary of Terms

21 posts in this topic

Bros!

Back again with another discussion point! This time we are talking Tecmo terms. Tecmo XIII has some pretty exciting partnerships this year, however, we can't fully disclose them yet. :/ - With those partnerships comes the task of creating a glossary of terms for our beloved game that we can use to educate those not in the know. Lastly, we are going to come up with names for playstyles.

Why am I telling you all of this? Well, let's make this a group thing! I'll keep a collective list running here.

Terms - Lingo we use to identify moves, actions or etc. Obvious incomplete list. Feel to list some out. Trying to keep the initial post shorter for now.

• JJ - Jumping Jackass - when a player jumps to catch the ball.
  • Timed JJ - A purposeful JJ performed at an exact time of a receiver's route
  • CC - Coverage Catch - When an offensive player catches the ball while having a defender in the same player space.

Playstyles - Identifiable playstyles that known players stick to

Here is a list of playstyles that we've picked out and have named a few. Can you help list playstyles with player examples?

• Majority pass, lots of JJs, medium pass distance, few forced bombs. (Gats/Sconnie)
  • Majority pass, shorter pass distance, bombs when appropriate none forced. Also, scared of Peter Kerins. (Josh Holz)
  • Balanced, literally perfectly balanced between pass and run (Bruddog/Mort)
  • Run tilted, passes for first downs. (Chet/Regulator)
  • Heavier run, not aggressive passing. (Psycho/Coconuts (based on Coco's latest stream vids. He seems to change a lot.))
  • Majority run, QB run from pass plays, fewer than 5 passes a game. (Matt Miller/Jimmy Bontempo)
  • Heavy pass players, lots of deep looks. (Orenga/Skunker)

this is fun...

Burn Route - Throwing a pass when wr is about to do a button hook and catches the pass in stride with the DB far behind

Lurch - Taking a DE or NT and diving as soon as the play is hiked tackling the QB

Popcorn - When a high HP player collides with a low HP player and is thrown like a popcorn kernel

Back & B - Just running back with QB and throwing hail mary bombs

Juke - a quick evasive run that makes the Defender lose their momentum 

Zig Zag - An evasive run exploit to drones when defenders are behind you that causes them to lose speed

BSD - Big Swinging Dick, QB Bills Nickname

44/44 - Scrub QB ratings that are perfect for throwing the JJ bomb

Tecmo Gods - an 8 bit Deity or Deities that cause fumbles, overthrows etc.  Not to be trifled with

Tapper - someone who can tap very fast 

Ghost Dad - a glitch when a player runs through another player without touching him 

KR/PR Speed - Is not the actual player MS but the MS of the LT? or SS

Edited by segathonsov

I like the list above.  my list below is a lot of the stuff that I and a few people I know say.

"quick dive" - where you avoid grapple by making a very quick dive (B) at ballcarrier, must have good timing

I always used the word "buck" (personally dating back to the original Tecmo Bowl) for what is commonly called "popcorn" (hence my screen name from 2006).  Nowadays, I call a popcorn just "pop" or "popped".

"tappa tappa" - again, another colloquial term where the defender does not really try to "win" the grapple as much as just hold on to the ballcarrier so that another defender can catch up and perhaps dive into ball carrier to cause a fumble.

"ghost" "ghosted" "ghosting" (not sure about "dad")

"moonwalk", sometimes after you score a TD your player will run backwards.

"camping out" (in your mind) - when you get inside your opponents head and call a ton of his plays, due to actual prediction or even just luck/chi.

"bump", where you knock a defender free from a block with your MAN controlled defender

"bounced", a failed bump. colloquial. I got (fukking) bounced.

"came up short", when the WR or QB does not go/throw long on a pass that was supposed to go deep

Edited by buck

Your right on Ghost Dad.  Fairf used it once on vid riffing on the Ghosting and it stuck

Moonwalk is a great one

Picked Play - self explanatory like camping out.

Bump & Cover - when trying free another engaged defender then covering pass

Tecmo Oddities - Lonnie Young's high RS,  Bob Nelsons high RP, no other same position players have those skills.

Attributes that don't do anything - Pass Accuracy, Quickness 

JJ Pick - if the Defender INT 3 notches higher than QB PC the defender can jump and INT the ball

INT Math - PC + REC vs INT

Popcorn Math -What is it again 25 HP on Lineman and 50 when running?

Onside Player 2 - rarely works due to Tecmo Gods hatred of Player 2

Safety glitch on a blocked pass in own endzone - counts in tourney play

Madison Gibberish Language - When two Madisonites play each other in tecmo they code switch to a different language with weird hand gestures

Online Garbage - Tecmo players that play in leagues/online through the year that are battled hardened at these tourneys compared to the players that just pick of the controller for tourneys

Tube TV - (for the youngerst) an outdated technology that must be used to play Tecmo or timing will be off.  Causes hundreds of injuries a year to player who have to haul and set up for tourneys

Conditions - Players and tecmo can go into 4 conditions, AVERAGE the normal condition, BAD 1 notch lower, GOOD 1 notch higher, Excellent 2 notches higher.  Can change game dramatically when this happens.   Chosen by Tecmo Gods to bring favor to their competing temples. 

Yeaaaa.., this is amazing and there are a ton of terms I hadn't thought of or written down yet. BOOM!

UMM-YEAH-GREAT-THANKS-meme-30237.jpg

As far as playstyles go, there's one that hasn't really been mentioned

The JJ Abuser - Runs a playbook with only passes that offer JJ routes, and abuses JJ catches to progress. (swampc, Jeid)

7 minutes ago, Neerrm said:

As far as playstyles go, there's one that hasn't really been mentioned

The JJ Abuser - Runs a playbook with only passes that offer JJ routes, and abuses JJ catches to progress. (swampc, Jeid)

Abuser... lol - you sound a bit salty. ;)

Treadmilling - when your would-be blockers are busy treadmilling at the back of the endzone

"Get offa my dick" - When you're in a grapple, and it's a nuisance - because you know you're gonna break it - and you just say, "get offa my dick"

JJ abuser has no ring to it at all.  The correct term is jj slut. 

Actually, I just prefer slut.

Me:  You name the teams.

Other person: CLE vs GB

Me: You slut!

Edited by kberger

there is a playing style known as a RUN3 MOTHERFUCKER... which I define as someone whose offensive gameplan revolves heavily (more than it should) around the setting up of the run and shoot toss down play

I'd to double up on the "involuntary dive" in pass defense. Super annoying.

There's also the "perma-grapple" when you grapple with a drone and can never break out of it (usually after a diving CC).

Funny that you mention "buck" @davefmurray versus popcorn. My brother and I always called it "bucking".

Edited by vikingmoe02

Butt-fumbling - When you get locked up behind or in the OL and get drone tackled.

HP Factory - When your team's collective HP far exceeds their MS. (MS is for pussies)

Playstyle - Offset til the day I dye. (Manyo, Bo, me I suppose)

Gangnam Style - When you call run3 for every defensive play. (TSBGOD)

I like to call popcorning and bucking... "Gettin a semi"

Lippett before you Tippett - self explanatory

Slip n slide - when you dive to stop a touchdown pass and decide to party instead.

Rage Quit - Did we mention this yet?

Contra'd - when you score by so far you have enough time to press up, up, down, down, left, right, left right (b, a, b, a, select, start) just to be a dick.

Fucking Whore - When you call run 3 on offense 4 or more times in a row.

Laces Out - missing an easy field goal

Uncle Jessie - when you decide not to run up the score. ("HAVE MERCY"

Surfin' - when you score a TD, and yo defendahz be like (body-)surfin', johnz ...

"Escalatin' crab" [alternatvely, Crab escalating] - When you score a TD, and you start escalatin' - like those walking-'escalators' at O'Hare (or Denver) - except, sideways like a crab

"Mort theory"....When Mort or whomever does something incredible or perhaps something  you never seen before. Then gives you an theory or explanation or even bullshit why it worked. 

On 11/6/2016 at 10:17 PM, madmanyo360 said:

there is a playing style known as a RUN3 MOTHERFUCKER... which I define as someone whose offensive gameplan revolves heavily (more than it should) around the setting up of the run and shoot toss down play

In Wisconsin this is known as Bontempo-ing

On 11/4/2016 at 9:58 AM, buck said:

I like the list above.  my list below is a lot of the stuff that I and a few people I know say.

"quick dive" - where you avoid grapple by making a very quick dive (B) at ballcarrier, must have good timing

I always used the word "buck" (personally dating back to the original Tecmo Bowl) for what is commonly called "popcorn" (hence my screen name from 2006).  Nowadays, I call a popcorn just "pop" or "popped".

"tappa tappa" - again, another colloquial term where the defender does not really try to "win" the grapple as much as just hold on to the ballcarrier so that another defender can catch up and perhaps dive into ball carrier to cause a fumble.

"ghost" "ghosted" "ghosting" (not sure about "dad")

"moonwalk", sometimes after you score a TD your player will run backwards.

"camping out" (in your mind) - when you get inside your opponents head and call a ton of his plays, due to actual prediction or even just luck/chi.

"bump", where you knock a defender free from a block with your MAN controlled defender

"bounced", a failed bump. colloquial. I got (fukking) bounced.

"came up short", when the WR or QB does not go/throw long on a pass that was supposed to go deep

Correction sir, 

A dive tackle is not a "quick dive" it is called "getting rubled"