Playing tecmo in Car what do I need?

segathonsov

Thinking of doing this beast

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Power-Inverter-Adapter-Charging/dp/B00UFERZKO/ref=pd_lpo_86_tr_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VQFE59RX52A8JKCZX0TR

51rYuFpkLFL.jpg

Product Description

BESTEK Amaerica's #1 Power Inverter Brand

• The highest average review rating of any power inverter brand.
• BESTEK is devoted to providing portable power inverters of the highest quality and performance for powering up multiple loads and major household appliances on the go.
• Providing the best quality products with professional customer service.

Product Specifications:

• Rated Power: 400W, Maximum Power: 500W, Peak Power: 1000W
  • Input Voltage: DC 12V, Output Voltage: AC 110-120V
  • USB Output Power: DC 5V 4.2A (5.2A Max). Two 2.4A ports, one 1A port and one automatic 0~2.4A port. 
• Built-in replaceable 30A/32V (2) fuses and cooling fan for a safer and easier to maintain inverter.
• AC Outlet Standard: North American 
• Product dimensions: 6" x 4.8" x 2" 

Optimal Use / Precautions:

• Converts DC power in your 12V batteries in your car, truck, boat or any other DC power sources into the AC power that home appliances, electronics and tools need.
• Always tighten the Positive (+) and Negative (-) terminals when the inverter is in use otherwise a loose connection can overheat due to poor contact.
• Always make sure that the total rated power of the connected devices is less than 400W.
• Avoid placing the inverter in a location that receives prolonged direct sunlight or near to heat sensitive materials as the inverter can become warm during use.
• If the rated input of any connected AC devices exceed 150W use the included battery clamps to directly connect to your vehicle’s battery as most vehicles 12V ports are rated and fused for 150W.

What's in the box:

• 1 x 400W Power Inverter 
• 2 x Battery Clip 
• 1 x Cigarette Lighter Plug
  • 1 x User Manual

Good to know:

• This product is sold with an 18 month warranty. We aim to provide friendly and easy to reach support.

3 hours ago, davefmurray said:

@tecmoaz should answer this. POWER MAN!

My worry with that inverter, as with all inverters, is the strain on the alternator to recharge the battery while driving. Over 3-4 hours, if your alternator is not running at full capacity, you would drain your cars battery to the point that stopping for gas, turning the car off and back on, becomes a dicey situation.

11 minutes ago, tecmoaz said:

My worry with that inverter, as with all inverters, is the strain on the alternator to recharge the battery while driving. Over 3-4 hours, if your alternator is not running at full capacity, you would drain your cars battery to the point that stopping for gas, turning the car off and back on, becomes a dicey situation.

Thanks for reply!  Do you have a recommendation for an inverter? Maybe a less powerful one?

it's only gonna draw as much power (current) as it needs, right?  I mean, it's not 100% efficient, but if he's only pulling ~75 watts from the inverter, it's probably only gonna consume like 80W.  conclusion - just because the inverter can handle 400W does not mean that it will draw 33 Amps the whole time, it will just draw what it needs.

quick electric lesson:

car battery = approx 12V (12.6 V DC)

P = I*V    (power in Watts) = (DC Current in Amps) * (DC Voltage in Volts)

so if your setup needs 100 W ( very conservative, NES + TV), the inverter (let's say it's 90% efficient, not sure though) on the DC side, will draw 1.1*100/12 = 9.2 amps.

then, the inverter will do whatever it does to make a pseudo 120 VAC wave to supply to your AC products (TV and NES) 

that is a decent amount of current, but my point is that the inverter is not (should not) gonna draw more current than it needs to supply (minus inefficiencies).

Edited by buck

anyways, it looks like that inverter gets pretty good reviews.  I would just use the smallest, simple tube TV you can find - the power consumed by the TV should be posted on the back of the TV.

my daughter has a Zenith tube TV in her room, looks like a 13-14 inch, and it says 60 W.

the NES adapter says 17 W.

so this TV + NES combination would use 77 watts.  I think that inverter could handle that.

when Knobbe,my friend, and myself drove from Lincoln to the 2010 CHI tournament, we rolled hard with a tube TV and NES in the backseat.  it was on for a good part of the trip there.  I don't recall it being a very fancy inverter.

Edited by buck