DT.

Portland, OR - 01/28/17 - Johnny Johnson in the Beaver

101 posts in this topic

Here we go. We're actually doing it. We're gonna let Johnny Johnson run wild in the Beaver (state).

SirTed and I will be crossing the mighty Columbia to bring the Tecmo heat into the Rose City. Even though Gripsmoke and Tailback King are the only Tecmoers to make much noise out of P-town (one with his play, the other with his spray), they are both HOFers, and Oregon is due for some hot Tecmo action.

WHEN

January 28th, 2017, 11 am. 

(The Saturday between the Conference Championships and the Superbowl)

WHERE

Concordia Ale House 3276 NE Killingsworth St, Portland, OR 97211

(Ground Kontrol isn't big enough for all us heavyweights, I'm still down to hit it up after)

WHAT

Tecmo Super Bowl... and more...

(get some)

WYMAN

well...

Seattle has juice and Centralia is... centrally located, but it's time to mix it up and let Portland get some shine. The City of Roses. Bridgetown. Rip City. PDX. One of the jewels of the region and home to something in the sports world we are sorely lacking in Seattle- NBA Basketball.

Ted and I will be parlaying our journey South into Friday Night Memphis Grizzlies at Portland Trailblazers action 1/27. Hope you can join us.

AND This tournament will not just be a Tecmo Super Bowl showdown. In honor of Clyde the Glide, Terry Porter, and Rick Adelman's mustache, this event will also feature a (very small) Tecmo NBA Basketball Tournament. RIP CITY

WHERE YOU AT TBK!? LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

(as if there was any doubt... I'm already putting you on the list, best make it happen)

1. Gripsmoke

2. Tailback King

3. DT

4. SirTed 

5. Kamphuna

6. MAD MANYO

7. Tick

8. Xtra Largent

9. '91 Huskies

10. The Walrus

11. SuperSonics

12. Coach Pearson

13. GoBlue84

14. Cervin

15. RPW44

16. xavalepdx

17. LT#56

18. '91 Cousin

19. Invader Star

20. COULD WE GET TO TWENTY??

Oh this is gettin juicy. WHO ELSE??

Shout out your presence here in the forum or message me or SirTed up! This is your chance to be a part of the FIRST MAJOR PORTLAND TECMO Tournament and the FIRST (albeit very small) TECMO NBA BASKETBALL Tournament!

MORE DETAILS

We are STARTING at 11 am. Please don't be late. Show up EARLIER than 11, so we can do last second adjustments, explain the rules, and get to playing right away.

Entry Fee: $30. Payouts: $60 to the top newcomer. 3rd place gets their money back. $60 for 2nd place. Champ takes home the rest. Loser's bracket champion will once again have their choice of two prizes with the Loser's bracket runner-up getting the other.

FORMAT

Standard Madison Rules for all matchups. You may only call a certain matchup ONCE the entire day.

There will be 5 rounds pitting two random participants vs each other. Names will be drawn out of a hat and pitted against each other. At the conclusion of 5 rounds, the 8 competitors with the best winning percentage will be put into a double-elimination bracket to decide the Portland Tecmo Champion.

ALL GAMES in round 3 will be Dallas vs Phoenix: The JOHNNY FREAKIN JOHNSON round.

The 1st tiebreaker will be opponent's winning percentage, the 2nd tiebreaker will be Tecmo NBA winning percentage and the 3rd tiebreaker will be combined Tecmo NBA and TSB score differential. (Don't worry if you can't hoop, The 2nd and 3rd tiebreak shouldn't be a factor, really)

Cash prizes will be given out to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and the Top Newcomer.

The remaining competitors will be seeded into the loser's bracket to duke it out for their choice of a consolation prize.

If you were in Seattle this September, it will be very similar in structure to that only this time-

1) If you are late, you take an L. Be there at 11 am or risk forfeit. Exceptions will be made if we took a while to get organized or there is a shortage of TVs and there were delays otherwise, but lets everyone try to be there and ready to play by 11 am!

2) Everyone will get at least 6 games. Last time a certain amount of losses booted you, but this time, you can keep rollin and fight for improved seeding.

And also, there will be some action on the side-

A March Madness style single elimination Tecmo NBA tournament. Seeded randomly, this will only be for a trophy and bragging rights.

Pick and rolls will be executed. Facials will be administered. Roundball will be run, but the focus will be on Tecmo Super Bowl, cause thats whats up.

SEE YOU SATURDAY

@PortlandTecmo 

Edited by DT.

I have a STRONG feeling this is going to be the greatest and most insane tecmo tourney of all time..... a massive and towering event of historically epic proportions, to be talked about for decades to come! whoever wins this tourney will feel compelled to mount the trophy on his gravestone so that his descendents and all other tecmo pilgrims of future generations may know exactly what quality of man lies beneath its magnificent splendor and glory!!!

I am willing and eager to help out anyway I can, just let me know.

Edited by manyo360

I work literally upstairs from ground kontrol. If you need any face to face or recon done, let me know.

Worth noting, ground kontrol is currently going under massive expansion, might be done in time for January

1 hour ago, sonofpatbeach said:

Dear lord this sounds amazing. Damn you, geography and family!

I've been saying that for 5 OUT of the last 6 years 

the gentleman's clubs in close proximity to this event also present tantalizing possibilities, i must add

<<READ: will manyo hire a stripper to dress up as a tecmo cheerleader and give him a lapdance as he plays in the championship? AND/OR will he bring a trampoline so she can bounce on it at halftime, leap high into the air  and FINALLY realize the pantieless dreams of every tecmo dude in the house?!?>> HOLY SHIT!!!

Dang yo. We are already up to 10 participants and I know more are on the way. Everyone is FIRED UP to tackle the Rose City and get a few shots up while they are down there. Four months away but start workin on your Tecmo NBA matchups!

Hmm, maybe. Long story short, a friend in Beaverton ships everything I sell on eBay, and I have 2 different trading card products coming out a week before and after this tournament. I was planning on helping him sort so ... .

15 hours ago, sonofpatbeach said:

Looks like Ground Kontrol hosts pinball tournaments: http://www.vice.com/read/inside-portlands-competitive-pinball-scene

May be time to reach out to them for the tourney, if you haven't already. 

Thanks for the heads up Tecbrother, but I think we have decided that the Ground Kontrol, despite being awesome, is not large enough for all of us and our Joe Nash sized shoulders, so we will be exploring other options.... It will be a large part of the weekend, however.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you are yearning to participate in our PNW Tecmo shenanigans and breathe our clear PNW air. To that I say yolo. Pull the trigger. I got your room and board fo sho.

I'm a newcomer to the site but I'd love to attend if that's okay and my schedule allows. A short 3 hour drive down I-5 and I'll be their. Plus, a stop at Voodoo donuts might be a wild card. Hope to see y'all in January. Go Hawks!

I'm off to go buy a box of '89 upper deck (baseball) on ebay. Got my fingers crossed on a Griffey RC or two. 

Cheers,

SuperSonics

Uh Oh Portland. We got "SuperSonics" rollin down bringin Ricky Pierce droppin J's in your eye. Where's Blazers nation in this? You gonna let the gold and green dominate this Tecmo NBA tourney?? So far its mostly Washington cats. No surprise as we always bring more ruckus then you Oregon fools. You would think there would be some Beaver Pride on display for the first major tournament ever in the state though.

I'm a Husky so you know that I love eatin' Beaver. Ducks aren't bad though too, especially after my Dawgs hung 70 on them last Saturday. SuperSonics for life and I can't wait to show you how we hold it down on TSB up here in WA. Watch out P-Town you've got a fight coming your way. 

SuperSonics out!

On 10/12/2016 at 3:16 PM, DT. said:

Uh Oh Portland. We got "SuperSonics" rollin down bringin Ricky Pierce droppin J's in your eye. Where's Blazers nation in this? You gonna let the gold and green dominate this Tecmo NBA tourney?? So far its mostly Washington cats. No surprise as we always bring more ruckus then you Oregon fools. You would think there would be some Beaver Pride on display for the first major tournament ever in the state though.

I played for Portland State University, so f*cc the Beavers, and the Ducks!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's all about the Vikings in P~Town.  I may be bringin my long lost cuzz!n Coach Pearson to the shindig......along with the other cats.  He gets real emotional and tends to yell at the screen, good or bad...must run in the fam.

On 10/12/2016 at 2:28 PM, DT. said:

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you are yearning to participate in our PNW Tecmo shenanigans and breathe our clear PNW air. To that I say yolo. Pull the trigger. I got your room and board fo sho.

Yeah, I'm trying to make it happen, but not looking good right now. I'll update if that changes. Portland / Ground Kontrol / that strip club down the street from GK (Mary's???) are all awesome.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.......................(echos)....................is this happinin' or not.  This is supposed to be the raw raw, talk S#!t and bacc it up NW faction, and no one has said anything in a month!!!!!!!  Don't just leave it to me, somebody say somthin'........all these half a$$ make shift tourneys' are goin' on all around us with like half the Tecmo talent, and we can't even get this topic PINNED???!?!! .......................................Shake My FuCC!n Head. 

This is GoBlue from HSTL and other leagues circa ten years ago or so... Been waiting for a tournament in my area. I live in Vancouver right over the bridge. Im in. Havent played a game in 7 years so Ill prob get whooped but its all good. Pumped for this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By red98sethuthut
        What: The Buffalo NES/SEga Olympic All Around Event
      When: November 11th 2017 11/11/2017 
      Where: AJ's Lounge 1028 Walden Avenue Buffalo NY 14211
      Time: 11am
      Entry Fee: $10 ( Pay in Person)
      Format: We play about ten different games from Nes and Sega. TSB a DEf. Others to voted on Like Nes ice Hockey, Megaman, Tecmo World Wrestling, Nba Jam ( I don't have this game), Nhl 94 or 95 ( which 1 is the better 1?), Tetris, Paper Boy, Rbi Baseball, TSB III, Tecmo Bowl, Eternal Champions, Contra, Mortal Kombat, Sports Talk Baseball. You will get a Medal (Gold, Silver, Bronze) for being 1st thru 3rd in any events. The person with most points wins the competition. Gold medal=3pts Silver=2pts Bronze=1pts
      Prize pool for Gold (55%), Silver 2nd(30%) and bronze 3rd(15%) +
      Who is Best ALL AROUND Nes/Sega Player.. @allamerican1569 @kevincabarello @thegamer1185 @mort1237 @TecmoPhycsco @davefmurray @segathonsov @Bad Moon Rison @Arncoem @TecSpectre
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Format: We will events in following games below. Each event is worth Gold (3pts), Silver (2pts), Bronze (1pts). The player with most points wins the event. Prize pool for Gold (55%), Silver 2nd(30%) and bronze 3rd(15%). All events are optional to play in.
      Games Nintendo:
      Nintendo (NES)
      - Tecmo Super Bowl (random selection, single elimination tourney, Madison Rules)
      - RBI Baseball (random selection, single elimination tourney) We may play 5 innings except for Championship game.
      - Super Mario Bros 3 (1st level time trial, no pipe entry)
      - mega man 2  (Last Longer Contest on 1 Turn (3 Lifes, Game will played on a Labtop with an Rom and emulator. )
      - Mike Tyson's Punch Out ( Skip to tyson using cheat code, Most Points on 1 try. Game will played on a Labtop with an Rom and emulator.)
      -Tetris ( Start on any speed level u eant. Top 3 Point totals medal. Game could be played on laptob as well)

Games on Sega Genesis:
      - Mortal Kombat (random selection, single elimination tourney)
      - Street Fighter 2 (random selection, single elimination tourney)
      - NHL 95  (random selection, single elimination tourney)
      - NBa Jam TE (  (random selection, single elimination tourney)
      Games on Snes: - TSbIII (random selection, single elimination tourney)
      Tie-Breaking Procedures.....
      A tie between 2 players...Both competitors will play man vs man Nes ice hockey ShootOut until someone wins. Via a Quick-Save State on a labtop. Lineup will be same for both teams. Flip a coin to determine whom goes first.
      A tie between 3 players or more---All 3 players will compete in a round by round FG kicking contest. The rules are simple. If you miss or kick is blocked you are out. If all 3 miss then it keeps going. It will be played on a labtop via an quick save state. Other players not kicking will rush with Lb1 or desired defender.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      REGISTERED PLAYERS:
      1. Louis B. (Red98sethuthut) Buffalo NY 1 nes System 3 Tv's 1 Labtop ( 1Tsb Rom, 1 Icehockey Rom), 1 NES Adapdter for Controller, 1 TSB Carts, 1 Nes Ice hockey cart, 1 Tetris NES Carts, Two  RBI Baseball carts, 1 JeoPardy Nes Cart, 1 Track N Field nes cart, 1 Sega Genesis 2 Wireless Controlles, 1 Sega 3-buttoned Controller, 4 nHL 95 Sega carts, 1 SF2 cart, 1 Sportstalk baseball Cart, 2 Nba Jam TE Carts
      2. Francis B. ( Mort1237) Lakewood IL 1 nes system 1 TSB Cart, 1 NES Ice hockey Cart, 1 SuperMario 3 NES Cart
      3.  Jason P. (laztlain) LockPort NY. 1 Princess Tv 1 Lcd tv 1 Nes System w/o Cords                                                             
      4. Paul B. Townwanda Ny 1 Nes System 1 Tv 1 Cord 
      5. Doug W. Buffalo NY 2 19. inch tube tvs, a NES, a sega, 4 six button controllers and an emulator cartridge to play on the sega. (And Tetris, NBA Jam, NHL 95, SF2, Eternal Champions, Tecmo Wrestling, & Ice Hockey if you need them.)

1st step: email Ss4sonkun@yahoo.com with

NAME:
      NICKNAME:
      EQUIPMENT: Were in need of more N.E.S systems/Sega's and tube tv's to handle the format. carts and labtops. A
      HOMETOWN:
      PHONE #:
      Are you interested in going to the bills game that sunday vs the saints???

The below video link shows what is illegal.

1st step: email Ss4sonkun@yahoo.com with

NAME:
      NICKNAME:
      EQUIPMENT: We are in need of more N.E.S / Sega's systems and tube tv's to handle the format. What Nintendo/Sega Games can you bring? Do you have an labtop you can bring?
      HOMETOWN:
      PHONE #:
      What Games can you bring??? What date works for you best?
      Are you interested in going to the bills game that sunday vs the saints???

• By trojan1979
      Green Bay WI, 8-3-2017 6:30PM - GBLAN Presents, 3rd Beebe, a Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

My wife is due with our 3rd child at the end of August.  This is the first available Thursday night after baseball season ends for those in our area.  Thursday night tournaments have been a great way to get that accelerated tournament experience.  Our last two tournaments got us 49 total participants.

Here is the official FB page for signup http://tinyurl.com/3rdbeebe  Sign up at 6:30, games start by 7PM.

Games are played on official NES hardware, or hardware clones with real cartridges, no rom dumps or emulation.  Controllers are NES OEM, and games are played on CRT tvs.  We can do up to 18 stations, but will likely have 10-12 setup.  To this point we haven't had any waiting due to unavailable systems since moving to our Thursday format.

Official rules can be viewed on this document.  
      https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UYEmVzFUs7dJtfOB7IY-b8n3PpURXaZQH8cX04dh1no/edit?usp=sharing

If we exceed 16 players we will use a group play format, followed by a single elim bracket.  If we are at 16 or under, we will use a standard challonge double elim bracket.

The entire event goes on for about 4 hours typically, with the majority of the field done by 10 or so..  The last two times we had pizza provided by a sponsor, and we are working to see if we can get them onboard again.  Drinks are $1 off for participating.

Entry fee is $10 per person.  Payout is 50% to 1st place, gift certs to 2nd and 3rd place, remaining proceeds go to pay for equipment.

Please RSVP on the FB page if you are coming.  If you are interested in coming, and not use Facebook, you may message me on the boards, or email trojan1979@gmail.com with your intentions.

Hope to see you there!

Trojan

• By Tecmo Milwaukee
      Tecmo Milwaukee Presents: Who's Next?
      Date: 11/4

Player field projected at 48 players. Max players cutoff will be at 64 players.
      Round robin of Division play followed by single elimination tournament. 
      Projected Entry Fee is $40

Game Rules: Tecmo Milwaukee rules/ Tecmo Madison rules
      1) Teams will be tiered in 4 groups of 7 teams. 7 Lotto balls will be picked from before each game to determine which tier teams will be picked from. (1 in 7 chance for Tier 1 teams to be picked). 
      2) Coin toss winner picks Lotto Ball. Coin Toss Loser picks matchup. Coin toss Winner picks Team or Controller. (Player can only choose a team 1 time during round robin play. Teams resets in tournament play.)
      3) Customizing Playbooks and Lineup Changes: Customizing playbooks is permissible. You can access your “change” screen (screen where you check player conditions and make substitutions) only twice per half. This helps speed up the games.
      4) WR/TE at RB: A WR/TE cannot carry the football unless it is a reverse. You can insert a WR or TE into a RB slot for lead blocking purposes, but he cannot carry the football. To further clarify, players such as Ernest Givins, Ricky Sanders, Mel Gray, Keith Jackson and Andre Rison cannot carry the football unless it is a reverse.
      5) No Ties/Overtime: No game can end in a tie. If a game is tied when regulation concludes, competitors will proceed to OT. If no one scores in the first OT, a new game will begin and the first competitor to score will be declared the winner. So that one competitor does not start with the ball in each OT period, the kicking team in the first OT will be the receiving team in the new game (i.e. the second OT).
      6) Lurching: Lurching is prohibited. If you want to rush with a DL, you must either go outside the offensive tackle or “popcorn” someone on the offensive line. Note that this rule does not apply to LBs.
      7) Nintendo Malfunctions: If there is an equipment failure in the first half, games will be replayed from the start. If equipment malfunctions in the 2nd half, only the second half is replayed. In that event, the scores from each half are added together to obtain a final score. If the game was uncompetitive or the equipment malfunctioned due to human error, the tourney organizers reserve the right to declare a winner without replaying any portion of the game.
      Tournament Disputes: Rico, Coconuts, Troy and myself.
      9) Controllers: Tournament competitors are not allowed to bring their own controller to use in games unless approved prior to tournament. Tournament organizers will coordinate obtaining equipment for the competition.

Entry Deadline is 11/1
      Email address: tecmomilwaukee@gmail.com

Top 8 places paid out. 

Each tournament has been a huge success fielding a very competitive playing field coming from all parts of the country. The venue is fantastic with great service, food and of course Adult Solutions. Our set up is fantastic with game play moving fast and furious. There is large interest already for this tournament. Don’t miss out!

Thank you,

Hardy Nickerson