Portland, OR - 01/28/17 - Johnny Johnson in the Beaver

DT.

Here we go. We're actually doing it. We're gonna let Johnny Johnson run wild in the Beaver (state).

SirTed and I will be crossing the mighty Columbia to bring the Tecmo heat into the Rose City. Even though Gripsmoke and Tailback King are the only Tecmoers to make much noise out of P-town (one with his play, the other with his spray), they are both HOFers, and Oregon is due for some hot Tecmo action.

WHEN

January 28th, 2017, 11 am. 

(The Saturday between the Conference Championships and the Superbowl)

WHERE

Concordia Ale House 3276 NE Killingsworth St, Portland, OR 97211

(Ground Kontrol isn't big enough for all us heavyweights, I'm still down to hit it up after)

WHAT

Tecmo Super Bowl... and more...

(get some)

WYMAN

well...

Seattle has juice and Centralia is... centrally located, but it's time to mix it up and let Portland get some shine. The City of Roses. Bridgetown. Rip City. PDX. One of the jewels of the region and home to something in the sports world we are sorely lacking in Seattle- NBA Basketball.

Ted and I will be parlaying our journey South into Friday Night Memphis Grizzlies at Portland Trailblazers action 1/27. Hope you can join us.

AND This tournament will not just be a Tecmo Super Bowl showdown. In honor of Clyde the Glide, Terry Porter, and Rick Adelman's mustache, this event will also feature a (very small) Tecmo NBA Basketball Tournament. RIP CITY

WHERE YOU AT TBK!? LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

(as if there was any doubt... I'm already putting you on the list, best make it happen)

1. Gripsmoke

2. Tailback King

3. DT

4. SirTed 

5. Kamphuna

6. MAD MANYO

7. Tick

8. Xtra Largent

9. '91 Huskies

10. The Walrus

11. SuperSonics

12. Coach Pearson

13. GoBlue84

14. Cervin

15. RPW44

16. xavalepdx

17. LT#56

18. '91 Cousin

19. Invader Star

20. COULD WE GET TO TWENTY??

Oh this is gettin juicy. WHO ELSE??

Shout out your presence here in the forum or message me or SirTed up! This is your chance to be a part of the FIRST MAJOR PORTLAND TECMO Tournament and the FIRST (albeit very small) TECMO NBA BASKETBALL Tournament!

MORE DETAILS

We are STARTING at 11 am. Please don't be late. Show up EARLIER than 11, so we can do last second adjustments, explain the rules, and get to playing right away.

Entry Fee: $30. Payouts: $60 to the top newcomer. 3rd place gets their money back. $60 for 2nd place. Champ takes home the rest. Loser's bracket champion will once again have their choice of two prizes with the Loser's bracket runner-up getting the other.

FORMAT

Standard Madison Rules for all matchups. You may only call a certain matchup ONCE the entire day.

There will be 5 rounds pitting two random participants vs each other. Names will be drawn out of a hat and pitted against each other. At the conclusion of 5 rounds, the 8 competitors with the best winning percentage will be put into a double-elimination bracket to decide the Portland Tecmo Champion.

ALL GAMES in round 3 will be Dallas vs Phoenix: The JOHNNY FREAKIN JOHNSON round.

The 1st tiebreaker will be opponent's winning percentage, the 2nd tiebreaker will be Tecmo NBA winning percentage and the 3rd tiebreaker will be combined Tecmo NBA and TSB score differential. (Don't worry if you can't hoop, The 2nd and 3rd tiebreak shouldn't be a factor, really)

Cash prizes will be given out to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and the Top Newcomer.

The remaining competitors will be seeded into the loser's bracket to duke it out for their choice of a consolation prize.

If you were in Seattle this September, it will be very similar in structure to that only this time-

1) If you are late, you take an L. Be there at 11 am or risk forfeit. Exceptions will be made if we took a while to get organized or there is a shortage of TVs and there were delays otherwise, but lets everyone try to be there and ready to play by 11 am!

2) Everyone will get at least 6 games. Last time a certain amount of losses booted you, but this time, you can keep rollin and fight for improved seeding.

And also, there will be some action on the side-

A March Madness style single elimination Tecmo NBA tournament. Seeded randomly, this will only be for a trophy and bragging rights.

Pick and rolls will be executed. Facials will be administered. Roundball will be run, but the focus will be on Tecmo Super Bowl, cause thats whats up.

SEE YOU SATURDAY

@PortlandTecmo 

Edited by DT.

I have a STRONG feeling this is going to be the greatest and most insane tecmo tourney of all time..... a massive and towering event of historically epic proportions, to be talked about for decades to come! whoever wins this tourney will feel compelled to mount the trophy on his gravestone so that his descendents and all other tecmo pilgrims of future generations may know exactly what quality of man lies beneath its magnificent splendor and glory!!!

I am willing and eager to help out anyway I can, just let me know.

Edited by manYo

the gentleman's clubs in close proximity to this event also present tantalizing possibilities, i must add

<<READ: will manyo hire a stripper to dress up as a tecmo cheerleader and give him a lapdance as he plays in the championship? AND/OR will he bring a trampoline so she can bounce on it at halftime, leap high into the air  and FINALLY realize the pantieless dreams of every tecmo dude in the house?!?>> HOLY SHIT!!!

Dang yo. We are already up to 10 participants and I know more are on the way. Everyone is FIRED UP to tackle the Rose City and get a few shots up while they are down there. Four months away but start workin on your Tecmo NBA matchups!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, sonofpatbeach said:

Looks like Ground Kontrol hosts pinball tournaments: http://www.vice.com/read/inside-portlands-competitive-pinball-scene

May be time to reach out to them for the tourney, if you haven't already. 

Thanks for the heads up Tecbrother, but I think we have decided that the Ground Kontrol, despite being awesome, is not large enough for all of us and our Joe Nash sized shoulders, so we will be exploring other options.... It will be a large part of the weekend, however.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you are yearning to participate in our PNW Tecmo shenanigans and breathe our clear PNW air. To that I say yolo. Pull the trigger. I got your room and board fo sho.

I'm a newcomer to the site but I'd love to attend if that's okay and my schedule allows. A short 3 hour drive down I-5 and I'll be their. Plus, a stop at Voodoo donuts might be a wild card. Hope to see y'all in January. Go Hawks!

I'm off to go buy a box of '89 upper deck (baseball) on ebay. Got my fingers crossed on a Griffey RC or two. 

Cheers,

SuperSonics

Uh Oh Portland. We got "SuperSonics" rollin down bringin Ricky Pierce droppin J's in your eye. Where's Blazers nation in this? You gonna let the gold and green dominate this Tecmo NBA tourney?? So far its mostly Washington cats. No surprise as we always bring more ruckus then you Oregon fools. You would think there would be some Beaver Pride on display for the first major tournament ever in the state though.

I'm a Husky so you know that I love eatin' Beaver. Ducks aren't bad though too, especially after my Dawgs hung 70 on them last Saturday. SuperSonics for life and I can't wait to show you how we hold it down on TSB up here in WA. Watch out P-Town you've got a fight coming your way. 

SuperSonics out!

On 10/12/2016 at 3:16 PM, DT. said:

Uh Oh Portland. We got "SuperSonics" rollin down bringin Ricky Pierce droppin J's in your eye. Where's Blazers nation in this? You gonna let the gold and green dominate this Tecmo NBA tourney?? So far its mostly Washington cats. No surprise as we always bring more ruckus then you Oregon fools. You would think there would be some Beaver Pride on display for the first major tournament ever in the state though.

I played for Portland State University, so f*cc the Beavers, and the Ducks!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's all about the Vikings in P~Town.  I may be bringin my long lost cuzz!n Coach Pearson to the shindig......along with the other cats.  He gets real emotional and tends to yell at the screen, good or bad...must run in the fam.

On 10/12/2016 at 2:28 PM, DT. said:

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you are yearning to participate in our PNW Tecmo shenanigans and breathe our clear PNW air. To that I say yolo. Pull the trigger. I got your room and board fo sho.

Yeah, I'm trying to make it happen, but not looking good right now. I'll update if that changes. Portland / Ground Kontrol / that strip club down the street from GK (Mary's???) are all awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.......................(echos)....................is this happinin' or not.  This is supposed to be the raw raw, talk S#!t and bacc it up NW faction, and no one has said anything in a month!!!!!!!  Don't just leave it to me, somebody say somthin'........all these half a$$ make shift tourneys' are goin' on all around us with like half the Tecmo talent, and we can't even get this topic PINNED???!?!! .......................................Shake My FuCC!n Head. 

• 3 weeks later...