Madden 17 ratings spreadsheet

johnz1

With so many people using Madden ratings for their roms, I'm curious to know where people get the Madden ratings from.  Unlike previous years, I'm having a hard time finding one great source that has all of the ratings.  Is there a spreadsheet that is shared and generally used by everyone?  If not, it would be a great resource to have this.  Here's what I've found so far:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14ewQSm2uv85BIs1C1raa6fkIY9q47ckXZFfRrlNcyq0/edit?usp=sharing
* Missing height, weight, jersey number.  Madden 17 launch ratings only.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17_PJV-vWoTMDnVE-fnnjE2qt51OJo7FrvdkG-Baja_8/edit#gid=170817166

* Missing some important ratings like Kicking Power and Kicking Accuracy.  Madden 17 launch ratings only.

https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/player-ratings/

* Not a spreadsheet.  No easy way to export the data into a usable form.  Seems to be the only source that is updated weekly.

1 minute ago, Tecmonster said:

Yes, those are downloadable as Excel spreadsheets.  There's no trick to it -- just download and open in Excel.

I'm not asking how. Why is OP not downloading the two spreadsheets and combining them to get all the info he needs?

20 hours ago, davefmurray said:

I'm not asking how. Why is OP not downloading the two spreadsheets and combining them to get all the info he needs?

I've already combined them and have the data I need.  Really the questions I have are:

1) Where are people getting the jersey #'s from, since none of these spreadsheets have that.  I realize that this can be grabbed from any site that has team roster data, but manual data input even for one column takes forever when there are 576 players.

2) Is there a community spreadsheet that everyone uses that has all of the Madden ratings - the answer appears to be no.

20 hours ago, bruddog said:

The first link has kicking power and kicking accurracy....and on the whole Madden has way  more ratings then you can really use for tecmo...

I'm making a Blitz 03 update, which has more ratings than Tecmo (but still way less than Madden).  There are definitely more ratings in Madden than are needed, but even with the dozens of categories none of them include the jersey #'s.

Edited by johnz1
replacing "B)" because it automatically converts to an emotion. ridiculous

5 hours ago, johnz1 said:

I've already combined them and have the data I need.  Really the questions I have are:

1) Where are people getting the jersey #'s from, since none of these spreadsheets have that.  I realize that this can be grabbed from any site that has team roster data, but manual data input even for one column takes forever when there are 576 players.

2) Is there a community spreadsheet that everyone uses that has all of the Madden ratings - the answer appears to be no.

1) Even if you automate jersey # entry, you still won't be able to totally avoid manual entry altogether because of the faces UNLESS, of course, you decide to ignore faces. Plus, manually adding jersey #'s to the spreadsheet is much less work if you're already have a semi-accurate starting point from which to create your roster, like using last year's roster spreadsheet, for example.  For me, matching faces is easily the worst part of a roster update, so jersey #'s just don't bother me that much.

2) Madden ratings are almost NEVER discussed on these boards, so I don't think they're as uniformly important to the TSB community as you may think.  In fact, drummer is the first and only guy I remember mentioning that he used Madden ratings as a basis for his player ratings.  It inspired me to do that too, but I don't think I've seen anyone else credit Madden as their ratings source here.

why would somebody making a tecmo super bowl football game use madden ratings?  

besides the fact that both TSB and madden supposedly represent "football" - the strategies, controls, field view, and game-action could not be more different.  

I can only suppose that people who use madden ratings (for a TSB hack) and don't come up with their own do it because they don't know the teams, players, or overall league dynamics very well and "trust" that madden does.  

what is so good about madden ratings - besides the fact that madden has a monopoly on nfl football video game and they are the only "girl in town"?  they have no competition and no comparison.  

*note - I'm not trying to convince someone NOT to use madden ratings, it's all good and probably works just fine, I'm just trying to understand why you wouldn't come up with your own based on your own knowledge/understanding/vision/research.

Edited by buck

Short answer because it saves time and is probably at least as accurate as one person's attempt to rate 1000 players. 

For things like acceleration and top speed madden is very accurate. That gives you a nice base to tweak off of. 

Even if madden just had one guy doing the ratings which it did for awhile...that was the guys sole job for 40hrs a week with access to a lot of data that is hard to come by. 

I'm pretty sure now they are heavily using ratings/gradings from pro football focus. 

Obviously in tecmo max speed is more powerful of a rating than it is in madden or the actual NFL. Still i cringed when I saw ted ginn rated with 38MS? on this year's rom. I prefer to nerf fast WR's by making them more like graddy. 

1 minute ago, buck said:

they have no competition and no comparison

That's exactly it.  Madden is the only source that I know of for any kind of up-to-date ranking of every single player in dozens of categories.  I only know two NFL teams very well, so I'm certainly not qualified to make ratings for every player, and certainly don't have the time even if I did.

In practice, I use the madden ratings as relative ratings.  The exact numerical values don't really matter, each rating is really just a ranking of every player, per category.  I set thresholds for every rating, to convert from Madden to Blitz.  The thresholds are set in order to make a distribution that is close to the original rating distribution of the original game.  For example, an 80 pass accuracy in Madden 16 is an 88 pass accuracy in Blitz.

3 minutes ago, bruddog said:

Obviously in tecmo max speed is more powerful of a rating than it is in madden or the actual NFL. Still i cringed when I saw ted ginn rated with 38MS? on this year's rom. I prefer to nerf fast WR's by making them more like graddy. 

tecmo is weird.  I mean, if you really make Cam as fast as he should be, and make Jonathan Stewart as good as he should be, and make Ginn as fast as he should be, Benjamin as good as he really might be, and Olson, etc, you will have the greatest TSB team ever assembled.  But I see your point on maybe making Ginn like 19 REC Graddy.

At some point you have to make "compromises" to try to make sure the team isn't better than the original 49ers.  But I know you know that, bruddog, I am saying that for others sake.

And anyways, regarding CAR, are they really known for their passing attack?  I think of them as more of a running team.  *Note, I originally had J Stewart at 50/69/50 and Cam at 56 PC, but somebody behind the scenes tweaked those guys before they released the finaly tb.org version.

55 minutes ago, bruddog said:

Short answer because it saves time and is probably at least as accurate as one person's attempt to rate 1000 players.

Time just isn't the short answer, but it's also the easiest and most logical one for the reasons you stated -- there's a company out there that spends a lot of time and money to produce accurate player ratings for NFL players.  I don't have their time or money -- and I don't make a dime in profit from my game to ever justify making those investments -- so it only makes sense to use their work if it's provided for free.

1 hour ago, bruddog said:

That's why my MS ratings are a function of the player's OVERALL rating and his actual SPEED rating.  Super fast guys will lose a notch in MS if they're not effective football players, but I think that their actual speed should still be a factor.  AND if you actually USE the RP (Acceleration) category, rate each player on it and depress its range from something like 19-50 instead of just assigning 69 to everyone, then RS will matter too, and suddenly it's not all about a player's MS.

1 hour ago, buck said:

Anyways, regarding CAR, are they really known for their passing attack?  I think of them as more of a running team.  *Note, I originally had J Stewart at 50/69/50 and Cam at 56 PC, but somebody behind the scenes tweaked those guys before they released the finaly tb.org version.

They aren't known for their passing attack and definitely are a run first team but it was still one of the better ones last year. They were 3rd in yards per completion (hence the need for someone have-ing speed) and 4th in TD's.  And they finished (just barely) in the top half of the league in 20+ and 40 + yard pass play.  

22 minutes ago, bruddog said:

They aren't known for their passing attack and definitely are a run first team but it was still one of the better ones last year. They were 3rd in yards per completion (hence the need for someone have-ing speed) and 4th in TD's.  And they finished (just barely) in the top half of the league in 20+ and 40 + yard pass play.  

when your qb is 44 MS, 69 PS, and 56 (or 50 for the tborg rom after whoever tweaked it) PC, and Benjamin 38/69/44, Olsen at 44 MS, you should be able to have a decent passing attack.  in my opinion.  if you need a 56 or 63 MS WR with that QB and a 50 MS RB (until somebody tweaked Stewarts rating...), then I don't know, you will probably have one of the greatest TSB teams ever...

I was sort of following the trend that the original TSB did with the Eagles.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, here you go.

I downloaded these team by team from the easports website (week 2).

If you know javascript, you can even modify the web page to spit out the tecmo ratings into another table on the page (so that you can paste it into TSBTool).

P.S. The 'downloadTeams()' function doesn't actually work, it was just an experiment.

I actually used chrome developer tools to set breakpoints on the page, modify the query and save the returned json content.

MaddenStuff.zip