(NES) TecmoBowl.org Presents: Tecmo Super Bowl 2017

Knobbe

It sort of hard to blame some rube on Ebay who purchases this stuff. You search for Tecmo on Ebay and you're going to find it.

To me the sad part is just how piss poor of a job has been done here.

Sounds like these yearly releases have had problems on real hardware for the past few years.

I've tried this one in a Powerpak on the new AVS system, and it never boots up. No yellow flag screen or anything. 

I can confirm the Tecmo2014 rom works in the same setup. (it's the only other one I happened to have in the cart)

On 9/27/2016 at 10:47 PM, SmaMan said:

Sounds like these yearly releases have had problems on real hardware for the past few years.

I've tried this one in a Powerpak on the new AVS system, and it never boots up. No yellow flag screen or anything. 

I can confirm the Tecmo2014 rom works in the same setup. (it's the only other one I happened to have in the cart)

@SmaMan

Do you have Loopy's mappers for the Powerpak? If not I recommend using downloading those and let me know if it still does not work. You can find the zip file for the mappers

here: 

https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/PowerPak

or just download them direct from

http://3dscapture.com/NES/powerpak_loopy.zip

7 minutes ago, bruddog said:

Xplosv hasn't visited the board in over a year unless he changed his screenname. 

We've been messaging here though, and he just sent me a bunch of info about all the new hacks coming.  One of the big steps remaining is rosters and ratings (he's got all new attributes) and that is gonna take some time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2016 at 0:12 PM, bruddog said:

@SmaMan

Do you have Loopy's mappers for the Powerpak? If not I recommend using downloading those and let me know if it still does not work. You can find the zip file for the mappers

here: 

https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/PowerPak

or just download them direct from

http://3dscapture.com/NES/powerpak_loopy.zip

@bruddog

Thanks for pointing that out to me. It works now! Just some graphical glitches, but I need to test and see if that's just the AVS or if it does it on original hardware, too. (Shouldn't make a difference since it's an FPGA board.)

In case any other AVS users stumble across this post, turn off Extra Sprites. :)

Love updated rosters. thx. I'm seeing pixel glitches on screen too. Not a huge issue for gameplay, but just noting. My only real issue is that I've played the same damn game 6 times. Every time I quite the game during a season, I keep going back to the same game to be replayed again. As if the last game played isn't saved. Using Tecmo Rev 2017 Rev 2, with OpenEmu, on a Mac. (Seahawks as my team... always resets to week 6 with Falcons). Never been an issue before. Always finished game, and picked up right where I left off. Just curious because everything else is awesome.

On a side note, one of the games that replayed with Falcons I scored 34 points in first quarter! With 3 safeties! WTH? It was fun, but... damn!

OK. Time to add some info. I'm Playing Seahawks season mode. No matter what I do, every time I beat the Falcons in week 6, it just repeats , like Groundhog Day. Can't even move on to week 7. Devonte Freeman is hurt, and every time he comes back right before the game. Opening screen is Devonte coming back, then week 6 begins again, Seahawks vs. Falcons. Hell, I'm excited as the next guy to see the game this coming week... but, I don't want to replay it 6 times now just to get to week 7. What's up? Any info is greatly appreciated. Love Tecmo. Love the updates and rosters. But, if I wanted to play the same game 7 times... well, you get the point. thx

On 10/11/2016 at 9:51 AM, bruddog said:

@SmaMan you can turn on extra sprites if you use the TSB_sprite_limit_15 rom from the following thread: 

That's cool! But all I see on that thread is a rom. Is there a patch file to put it into this season's rom? (Or am I just missing it?)

Hello, I have had a rather annoying issue that has caused extensive loss of game play which sucks because I love this game and play each years season like 8 times. After I make a field goal the graphics show the pictures they should after a successful kick but after that the game freezes on a blank black screen. Using Nestopia on a Windows 10 pc.

New to the forum (just joined) however, I have been visiting for a while and making myself a Temco Super Bowl cart since 2015 release.

Why was the mapper changed to MMC5 this year instead of the traditional MMC3 for the rom? MMC5 is quite an expensive donor to use to put this on a cart. Romance of the three kingdoms 2 is NOT cheap at all, I had to use the Famicom version (still not cheap) with 60-to72pin adapter just so that I could play on real hardware.

I know that QBViking and Techmonster use MMC3 but I wanted to stick with what I have been every year.

Not that it matters anymore since I have already made the bought the expensive donor and made the game but what was the reasoning for using MMC5 if you are not using the full potential of the mapper? MMC5 maxes out at 1MB for PRG and CHR but it is not being used here in the rom. Maybe because the ram needed is 24KB???

Any clarification would help. Again, it really doesn't matter at this point since I already put forth the effort to put this on a physical cartridge for myself.

9 hours ago, rideordie71 said:

New to the forum (just joined) however, I have been visiting for a while and making myself a Temco Super Bowl cart since 2015 release.

Why was the mapper changed to MMC5 this year instead of the traditional MMC3 for the rom? MMC5 is quite an expensive donor to use to put this on a cart. Romance of the three kingdoms 2 is NOT cheap at all, I had to use the Famicom version (still not cheap) with 60-to72pin adapter just so that I could play on real hardware.

I know that QBViking and Techmonster use MMC3 but I wanted to stick with what I have been every year.

Not that it matters anymore since I have already made the bought the expensive donor and made the game but what was the reasoning for using MMC5 if you are not using the full potential of the mapper? MMC5 maxes out at 1MB for PRG and CHR but it is not being used here in the rom. Maybe because the ram needed is 24KB???

Any clarification would help. Again, it really doesn't matter at this point since I already put forth the effort to put this on a physical cartridge for myself.

Because reasons. We are going to be adding a bunch of cool stuff over time and were more limited to what that could be with MMC3.

Hats off to you as the first person to notice.

13 hours ago, rideordie71 said:

Going forward I plan on utilizing the MMC5 mapper and depending on how far we go others might as well.

Producing a rom that can be burned onto a cart isn't a goal of these releases so expect similar next year.