(NES) Tecmonster's Tecmo Super Bowl 2017

Tecmonster

Played a season coaching the 49ers. Lost the first 3 games, won 9 straight, then lost 4 straight. Very strange. Got the second wild card and beat the Cowboys. Lost in the divisional to Carolina.

Overall, a minor boost to the defense overall or decreasing the offense 1 tick across the board might help. Leaguewide there were very few punts so I know it wasn't just my games.

Anyway, thanks for uploading. I love all the push/pull and the kick returns were realistic.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

Just downloaded your version of TSB2017 and I love it! It’s faster, and harder, and unforgiving if you make a mistake or take too long to choose a receiver! ;)

I know you’re limited in «coding space» and I’m not programming expert, but here’s some suggestions that would be great to see in a patch or something like that:

• It would be great of the end zones color schemes would reflect the teams playing and, if possible, show the names of the teams.
  • I would take a slightly lighter shade of blue for the NFL logo in the middle of the field (by the way, is it the new version of the logo? Is so, that’s cool! :)).
  • I would change the TECMO logo at the 25-something yard line for something like the home team color scheme and abbreviation (e.g.: PIT).
  • I would change the color of the down flags to an orange (instead of this sickly rose… :)).
  • I would change the color of the football to something more brownish…
  • The cheerleaders could be of the home team’s color scheme.
  • Could it be possible to be able to choose a 2-point try after a touchdown (it happened one or twice where I lost a game by a point and a 2-point try could have change the game result… ;))?
  • Could it be possible to add the possibility of being able to ask for immunity on a kick/punt (using B+A buttons, for example)?
  • Could it be possible to add the possibility of calling an audible (e.g.: you chose the UP button run play and using a button command at the same, you change the play to the UP button pass play)?
  • Could it be possible to add the possibility of choosing a QB kneel (from the Timeout menu)?
  • Could it be possible that players might catch a ball on a blocked pass?
  • Could it be possible that the teams switch sides at the start of every half, or at the very least, for the home and receiving teams? That would force us to «rethink» our game and maybe make it harder (because, yes, TSB can become quite easy when you play a lot)… :)
  • Could it be possible to get back the endgame music at the end of a game (now, it’s the end of quarter music)? I wouldn’t change it for the end of the first half.
  • That’s a bit of nitpicking, but I would make Tom Brady «injured» for the first four games to reflect his suspension (I did switch it for Garoppolo in my season).
  • Bug? The QB makes a weird sound (like a mix between the snap and the tackle sounds) at the snap…
  • Bug? Some players, mainly WRs, are sometimes sitting ducks and do nothing on some plays (not even helping your ball carrier) after they’re done with their pass routes.
  • Bug? Sometimes, the player’s name on the right side of the screen seems to appears at the right edge of the screen, with only one letter showing.

That’s all I had to offer for now. What do you think? Are those suggestions feasible?

In the meantime, I’ll continue playing your version… it’s so cool! :)

Of those suggestions, only 2-point conversions and switching sides every quarter (or half) are on my radar.

I wouldn't count on any seeing any of your remaining ideas come to fruition on my rom.  Plus, colors/graphics are very tricky and far more complex than it would seem on the surface.  For instance, the football's color = white guys' skin color, so changing the ball to brown would change the skin color of every white guy to brown. 

Some of the ideas, like being able to catch a deflected or blocked pass, I'm adamantly against.  Reminds me of the frustration I used to experience when defending passes in the early Madden games.  Some other ideas for added in-game options, like audibles, you'll probably see on xplozv's rom that he'll probably be releasing in a couple months.

Anyway, thanks for playing and maybe next year, my game will be a little bit closer to your ideal, but I can't make any promises.

2 hours ago, Tecmonster said:

Of those suggestions, only 2-point conversions and switching sides every quarter (or half) are on my radar.

I wouldn't count on any seeing any of your remaining ideas come to fruition on my rom.  Plus, colors/graphics are very tricky and far more complex than it would seem on the surface.  For instance, the football's color = white guys' skin color, so changing the ball to brown would change the skin color of every white guy to brown. 

Just to get the chance of doing 2-point conversions would be great! :)

I didn’t know that working with the rom’s colours could be this tricky… As I said, I’m no programming guru! :)

On 10/16/2016 at 2:45 PM, davefmurray said:

Xplozv has been rocking audibles for 6.5 years.

Playing a season with this as well. This is like a circus act up and down the field, crazy fast action. Custom defenses and audibles are sick. Love the kick returners using their own attributes, gives you a chance to take it to the house every time. Not necessarily realistic but sure is fun.

I’ve been playing a few games not with Tecmonster’s ROM… It’s WAAAAAAAY harder than expected! I was no slouch at TSB in the old NES times, but I’ve a hard time just to shoot out the CPU for ONE quarter. I’m using the Pats and the Falcons and both teams are 3-3 after 6 weeks. My players feel sluggish compared to the CPU’s.

I just feel like both teams’ defences are letting everything through (for example, both teams are the worst in Run defence, having given 1,000 yards each after 6 games). Are the CPU players’ (especially RBs) have been juiced up?

If you read the thread, you'll notice picking plays on defense plays a role. The linebackers being off the line and the super charged grapples open up the running lanes. If you pick a pass play on defense and the computer picks run, each of your defenders loses a level of HP for that play. Thereby making it easier for you and your defenders to get trucked by the RB. If you pick run and the computer picks run, you gain a level of HP for that play. You might try playing the run more and pick your spots for playing the pass.

Quick question for the creator: I was playing PITT vs WASH and noticed the players freezing a few times and the sound of like a machine gun happening? Only happens for about a second, just enough to pause the action and make that sound? Noticed it on every other play, OFF and DEF, especially when Bell or Brown get open field? Wanted to see if anyone else has this or is this supposed to happen? Sorry to ask, LOVE THE GAMES YOU MAKE, I just wanted to make sure. Up late with my military guys playing a tournament that's lasted weeks now. Thanks in advance.

12 hours ago, RAWryano said:

Quick question for the creator: I was playing PITT vs WASH and noticed the players freezing a few times and the sound of like a machine gun happening? Only happens for about a second, just enough to pause the action and make that sound? Noticed it on every other play, OFF and DEF, especially when Bell or Brown get open field? Wanted to see if anyone else has this or is this supposed to happen? Sorry to ask, LOVE THE GAMES YOU MAKE, I just wanted to make sure. Up late with my military guys playing a tournament that's lasted weeks now. Thanks in advance.

I don't know what that could be. We've yet to experience that in our league.  Possibly sounds like an emulator issue (we use Nestopia).

On 10/25/2016 at 10:21 AM, Kennya said:

Tecmonster, does the HP plus/minus on defense apply to when the COM is on defense? When I pick run and he picks pass does he lose a notch of HP? Does he gain HP when we both pick run?

That's a bruddog hack so he'd be the expert on it but, yes, I believe it applies in all situations.

Finished my first season with this ROM. I went 10-6 with the Titans, won my division. Second in total offense, first in rushing. Finished 11th in total defense, first in pass defense, 29th in run. In usual tecmo fashion I lost my qb and top rb for multiple games. Lost my first round game against the Bills and Taylor in "beast mode", going bananas. I lost my rb who was also in "beast mode" at the start of the game. I fumbled 4 times, compared to the zero turnovers they had. That's the breaks. Got down 21-6, came back to pull within 1 at 28-27 with a minute to go, but couldn't get the onside kick. Pats beat Cardinals 42-41 in the Big Game. Overall it was fun, every game on the edge of your seat, up and down action. It's a nightmare to stop the run, but I finally got a defensive rhythm going with a couple games left. Way more enjoyable being competitive every game than beating up on the computer all season, waiting for the juice to increase. This is my favorite ROM by far, the most realistic and entertaining. Although it drove me to throw the controller a couple times haha...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've won Super Bowls with the Raiders, Seahawks, and last one going 15-1 with the Cowboys on the 17 ROM. Just went 16-0 with the Panthers, had to pull out nail biters in the last 5 or so. Playoffs to follow, defense hasn't been able to stop anyone lately so we'll see if I can hang on...

First bullet dodged. Overcame 3 first half fumbles by Jonathan Stewart (losing all 3). Down 14-7 to the Bears, rally back for a 35-21 win. Redskins next for the NFC championship, who I beat 28-24 in week 15, on the last play of the game. They rolled up like 450 yards against me, and they've still got most of their offensive stars in "good" and "beast mode". 

Edited by Kennya

NFC championship, blowout win over the Redskins 35-10.  Mixed up my defenses, held them to 200 yards less than I gave up last time. The usual juggernaut attack on offense rolling up 450. It was over from the start. Next up: Cincinnati for the Super Bowl and 19-0 glory...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...