Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buck

"Golden Era" ('85-'95) top 10 running backs

30 posts in this topic

RBs had to have at least played 4 seasons within the 85-95 NFL timeline...

1 Barry Sanders
2 Eric Dickerson
3 Emmitt Smith
4 Thurman Thomas

5 Roger Craig
6 James Brooks
7 Ricky Watters

8 Neal Anderson
9 Marcus Allen

10/11 Joe Morris
10/11 Curt Warner

This is my 1st stab at this.

I have a question: I've heard many people criticize Sanders for being the kind of back who loses tons of yards or has a bunch of one yard runs, but has one of two big runs that props up his average. Meanwhile, they point to a guy like Emmitt Smith, who basically gained 3-5 yards on the majority of his carries, as a guy who you'd want to build a sustainable offense around. What's your thoughts on this way of thinking?

1 hour ago, PockyCandy said:

I have a question: I've heard many people criticize Sanders for being the kind of back who loses tons of yards or has a bunch of one yard runs, but has one of two big runs that props up his average. Meanwhile, they point to a guy like Emmitt Smith, who basically gained 3-5 yards on the majority of his carries, as a guy who you'd want to build a sustainable offense around. What's your thoughts on this way of thinking?

just look at the holes (offensive lines) that these two RBs had.  

Emmitt had no choice but to automatically gain 3-5 yards every carry, because you could have driven a four-wheeler through those DAL holes.

Barry, on the other hand, was consistently getting accosted as he was actually receiving the handoff.  So Barry had no choice but to "lose yards" when he got the ball sometimes because there were a DL or two already in the backfield.

Now, I think if Barry were on DAL back in the day, dude would have easily gotten 2k every season.  But he is the only RB I would say that about.

I am not dissing Emmitt, you see I put him at #3, because he was reliable, tough, and knew how to run with his amazing OLs and played through injury and would seem to always step up and have a big run or play when they needed it, he was valuable to his team, as a human four-wheeler.  His numbers in the early to mid 90s are insane.  And he won championships, and that gives him the nudge over the great Thurman Thomas.

Edited by buck

10 hours ago, buck said:

just look at the holes (offensive lines) that these two RBs had.  

Emmitt had no choice but to automatically gain 3-5 yards every carry, because you could have driven a four-wheeler through those DAL holes.

Barry, on the other hand, was consistently getting accosted as he was actually receiving the handoff.  So Barry had no choice but to "lose yards" when he got the ball sometimes because there were a DL or two already in the backfield.

Now, I think if Barry were on DAL back in the day, dude would have easily gotten 2k every season.  But he is the only RB I would say that about.

I am not dissing Emmitt, you see I put him at #3, because he was reliable, tough, and knew how to run with his amazing OLs and played through injury and would seem to always step up and have a big run or play when they needed it, he was valuable to his team, as a human four-wheeler.  His numbers in the early to mid 90s are insane.  And he won championships, and that gives him the nudge over the great Thurman Thomas.

Well said.

I read an article or saw a stat years ago that showed in Barry Sanders and Emmit Smith's career Emmit Smith's first contact with the defense came after 3.5 yards vs Barry Sanders was 1 yard.  Can't remember the exact stats but it was something like 2.5 yards difference between Emmit's first contact with the defense vs Barry's first contact with the defense.

Interesting stat: Barry Sanders has the most runs for a loss in NFL history. 

On 8/21/2016 at 6:51 PM, buck said:

1 Barry Sanders
2 Eric Dickerson
3 Emmitt Smith
4 Thurman Thomas

5 Roger Craig
6 James Brooks
7 Ricky Watters

8 Neal Anderson
9 Marcus Allen

10/11 Joe Morris
10/11 Curt Warner

Ricky Watters, Neal Anderson.......................................Joe Morris???  Really???

I need more time to deliberate before I commit to my list..............but..............Johnny over Ricky any day of the week without question.

Fuck Emmitt. Anyone could've run behind that O line. Smith had 4 seasons of over 365 carries, and the most he could ever get was 1773 yards(377 attempts in 95). Barry never hit 345 carries in a season, yet still had a better YPC usually per season, and per career. Emmitt shouldn't even be top 3 overall, imho. 

stats are worth something to me, and from 90 to 95, Emmitt had 96 TDs and 8956 rushing yards (Barry had 59 TDs and 8702 yards in that time frame).  to get those kind of statistics, you are a good RB.  toughness, durability, and reliability are good qualities for an RB to have.

9 hours ago, ~Tailback King~ said:

Ricky Watters, Neal Anderson.......................................Joe Morris???  Really???

I need more time to deliberate before I commit to my list..............but..............Johnny over Ricky any day of the week without question.

check out Neal in this highlight reel...very impressive...and his stats are impressive, too.  

in his 8 year career (with those first two seasons behind Payton, so basically a 6 year career), from '86 to '93 he had: 6166 rushing yards, 51 rush TD, 302 catches for 2763 yards and 20 rec TD.  

I think Neal's easily worth top ten - for this so-called "GOLDEN (shower) ERA" 85-95, by Tailback King.

I'll get to Joe after a while.

So buck.......you are honestly tellin' me you would rather have Neal Anderson over Johnny Johnson (both in their primes) in your backfield???  Are you fu**!n' kidding me??!.......I don't even believe you.  What if your life was on the line and you needed a TD from the ONE???  Still picc Neal???  Get real.

Looking at it from a power style, Neal Anderson was ideal for grabbing TDs from the one yard line. His YPC was also better, even if JJ ran 90 yards in one game in 1994.  I would take Neal over JJ

1 Barry Sanders
2 Eric Dickerson
3 Emmitt Smith
4 Thurman Thomas

5 Roger Craig
6 James Brooks
7 Ricky Watters

8 Neal Anderson
9 Marcus Allen

10/11 Joe Morris
10/11 Curt Warner

buck, you alwayz look at stats, and give no thought or account to what kinda situation the runningback was in...and you should.  My list consists of not only great players (which they all are) but backs who were brilliant in the most fu**ed situations life coulda' delt them.....injuries, beefs with coaches, drafted to a s#!tty team, exc..............I'm goin' by pure talent, no matter how long of short their career was.

1}  ERIC DICKERSON (stands alone)

2}  WALTER PAYTON,  HERSCHEL WALKER (superior will, toughness, and athletisism)

3}  BARRY SANDERS (never one like him...style, reaction time, agility, strength, and athletisism all in one) 

4}  TONY DORSETT,  CURT WARNER,  MARCUS ALLEN,  ROGER CRAIG (they are the epitimy of what a 'great back' from the golden era is)

5}  JOHNNY JOHNSON,  MARCUS DUPREE,  BO JACKSON (flashes of brilliance that proved even in a short time that they belonged in a class with the 'elite'.....bad luck, bad timing, bad situations, and injury prevented them from staying there)

6}  EDDIE GEORGE, O.J. ANDERSON  (the true definitions of "power backs", where a smash mouth running style, and strength to run over 1 on 1 tacklers helped them much more in attaining greatness than speed)

7}  NATRONE MEANS (literally a 40 pound heavier version of Barry Sanders...agility was unheard of for a 250 pound back, plus he had the power to boot)

8}  CHRISTIAN OKOYE (all the speed (yes speed) and power in the world but lacked coordination, or he'd be up there at 5)

9}  CRAIG 'Iron Head' HEYWARD,  KEVIN MACK (Deliberately looked for contact with defenders instead of avoiding them...a style that's entertaining to watch, and works well while it lasts, but eventually takes it's toll.....also noted that they were devastating bloccers)

10}  JEROME BETTIS,  CHRIS WARREN,  CURTIS MARTIN,  MARSHALL FAULK (runners with all the tools and traits to make them great, but somehow with vision, smarts, versatility, and incredible toughness to play through pain, they managed to have long and illustrious careers, which puts them on my top 10 list............................which is more than ten, but I don't think I missed anyone.

(p.s.  yes Eddie George is part of the "Golden Era" even if it was mostly for his college career)

.....................There you have it.  Argue if you must......wrong you will be.

~T.B.K. signin' of........Good Night.

hey dude, YOU set the criteria: 1985-1995.  So your post is kinda off-topic.  Because of course I would have Dorsett, Payton, and some of the other guys listed if you opened the years by 10....

Some of the guys you listed only played a shitty season or two within said era.

^^^End of the Era, begining of the Era, who cares...they count.  No one said they had to be in there primes.  Example:  Eddie George & Curtis Martin count even though they were at the very end of the Era and still in college...they closed the book on the 'Golden Era"..........and if you look through the other side of the scope, guys like Payton and Dorsett were the founding fathers of it................go by those rules and see what you come up with...............your list still won't touch mine.

(p.s.  example:  one of your hero's Billy Simms would count...he'd be in the 'founding father' category)

dude, grouping Walter Payton in the same era as Marshall Faulk is stupid.  you set the rules, 85-95, I started the thread with the rule they had to have had at least 4 season within 1985-1995.  

that fucking simple.  now go back and follow the rules and make a new list, or start your own thread.

1 Barry Sanders
2 Eric Dickerson
3 Emmitt Smith
4 Thurman Thomas

5 Roger Craig
6 James Brooks
7 Ricky Watters

8 Neal Anderson
9 Marcus Allen

10/11 Joe Morris
10/11 Curt Warner

I saw this not long after it was posted and I have to apologize (and shame on erryone else who didn't) for not uprepping this right away. This is a fantastic thread starter idea etc and it's right up my alley in terms of eras.

Frankly, I've got 10 tabs of ProFootballRec open side by side here and going over this sweet sweet era of football, much less RBs.

I have to say the only problem I see, and someone above pointed it out, was the ommission of Hershel Walker. I'd have Hershel right up there with Roger Craig. I think James Brooks is high, but man some of his seasons he had some amazing receiving totals like Hershel and Craig did. Joe Morris was the truth, and 21 TDs in one season is a testament to that. Neal Anderson I remember being dominant, but in 1991 the most memorable play I have (other than Tom Waddle making heroic catch after heroic catch, getting up over and over after taking some serious licks while holding onto the football) was Neal Anderson getting stuffed on 4th and 1 late and essentially sealing the win on the road for the upstart Cowboys. I have to be honest, that biases my recollection of him, so I'll look into it more deeply.

Kudos to you sir, great topic again.

What of value have I brought? Well I want to hone in my own top 10, but I want to get deep into it. In the meantime, I'll just share some of those fantastic seasons that many might not recall.

1. Roger Craig - 1985. You might be wondering, what's so special about his season, he only ran for 1050 yards? Well, homeboy caught 92 passes for 1016 yards that season also. YES as a RB. It doesn't hurt to have Joe Montana being your QB, but man, epiccc season! (side note, Chargers All purpose RB Lionel James also had more than 1000 receiving yards and he had over 2500 all purpose yards that season. RIDICK!)

2. Marcus Allen - 1985 - Marcus was a stud, and let's not forget that much of his later Raider career had some Al Davis interference, and when he finally got free to KC, the man was a TD scoring Machine! This guy was just a stud. PERIOD! And why is he here at 2? Allen's 1985 season was the highest total yards from scrimmage of any year of any back from 85 - 95 with the only tally over 2300 yards, frankly the only one over 2200 yards also.

3. Joe Morris 1985 - 21 TDs rushing, nuff said. Joe Morris was a tiny dude in my recollection. But man he was a tough runner, fit those Parcells Giants perfectly.

4. Eric Dickerson 1986, Barry Sanders 1994 - the only two RBs in this time period to eclipse 1800 yards rushing. Barry had 1883. Damn.

5. Eric Dickerson's Butterfingas. - Fumble totals starting in 83. 13,14,10,12, and throw in another 10 fumble season in 1989. He should have had some low BC

6. Emmitt 1993 - Yes I'm a Cowboys fan. Don't forget, he didn't play the first 2 games due to holding out, and then without doing anything with the team during that whole holdout, he came in and led the league in rushing and sealed a critical Division title win and bye with his performance at the Meadowlands separating his shoulder and still doing the dirty work and helping secure the W.

A Final Note on the Cowboys Offensive line.

I am not here to tell anyone that Emmitt did NOT have a better offensive line than that of Barry and the Lions, nor will I try to argue that Emmitt was a better runner, because I think the 2 best runners of all time were Barry and Gale Sayers. BUT,

before we go assuming that the Dallas Oline was the bees knees for that whole time, let's pump the brakes a bit here. The crew that started it all, Stepnoski in the Middle, the Double G guards, Gogan and Gesek, and Tuniei and Nate Newton at the Tackles (Newton moved around where it best helped the team, as he was a guard for most of his career) were much maligned until a certain number 22 showed up and even then, it wasn't until 1992 that they started to get some cred, especially since they ended up winning the super bowl. Those guys got better once Emmitt got there, and Emmitt and them helped Troy and Norv get that timing passing offense to work. In 1991, I was ECSTATIC after watching the Cowboys in a week 2 Monday night game give the Redskins a hell of a game, one in which Emmitt busted for a 75 yard TD run. They lost by 2, but it wasn't that close at the end, cuz the cowboys scored late to cut it to 2.

The next week was a reality check. Aikman was sacked 11 times vs one of the best defenses ever (90 Eagles), granted, and the Cowboys were shut out 24-0. Aikman passed for barely over 100 yards and also threw 3 picks. Emmitt rushed for 44 yards. They got CRUSHEDED. CRUSHEDEDEDED! 80% essentially the same OL that gets most of the kudos for being the OL that did all those holes for Emmitt. Also, don't forget that football is a team sport. Another reason for those holes included the defense also being concerned for Aikman to 88 and 84. I digress.

This is really about Emmitt, and where he deserves to be on this list. I think top 2 or 3 is fair and accurate. Durability and winning should count as well, like Buck mentioned about Durability above. I fell in love with Emmitt at the Aloha Bowl back in 1987. I was at this game. Due to all the drunk UCLA kids around ( I was a 14 year old kid at the time ) and fans in Hawaii in general being more reserved as sports fans at the time, I cheered for the Gators here (as I did in most of the UF FSU games I got to see). Emmitt was a baller, I'm excited to watch this again. He's always been a baller, even his record setting days at Escambia down in P-Cola on the Florida Panhandle.

On 8/23/2016 at 7:57 AM, Coconuts said:

Fuck Emmitt. Anyone could've run behind that O line. Smith had 4 seasons of over 365 carries, and the most he could ever get was 1773 yards(377 attempts in 95). Barry never hit 345 carries in a season, yet still had a better YPC usually per season, and per career. Emmitt shouldn't even be top 3 overall, imho. 

On 8/23/2016 at 9:26 AM, buck said:

stats are worth something to me, and from 90 to 95, Emmitt had 96 TDs and 8956 rushing yards (Barry had 59 TDs and 8702 yards in that time frame).  to get those kind of statistics, you are a good RB.  toughness, durability, and reliability are good qualities for an RB to have.

Emmitt wasn't as flashy nor as talented as all those guys but amazing how he had all those carries and kept that production level up. Additionally he played in another 17 playoff games. The concept of "anyone can run behind that line" was put to the test in 1993 when Emmitt held out in a contract dispute. Following a 0-2 start the Cowboys came to the conclusion that Derrick Lassic wasn't going to cut it and caved to Smith. (h/t to Charles Haley)  http://www.realclearsports.com/lists/memorable_nfl_holdouts/emmitt_smith_1993.html

1 hour ago, Knobbe said:

Emmitt wasn't as flashy nor as talented as all those guys but amazing how he had all those carries and kept that production level up. Additionally he played in another 17 playoff games. The concept of "anyone can run behind that line" was put to the test in 1993 when Emmitt held out in a contract dispute. Following a 0-2 start the Cowboys came to the conclusion that Derrick Lassic wasn't going to cut it and caved to Smith. (h/t to Charles Haley)  http://www.realclearsports.com/lists/memorable_nfl_holdouts/emmitt_smith_1993.html

True, but I'd argue that their schedule (Redskins and Bills - the two previous SB teams) and 8 total turnovers caused the losses more than Lassic(who did fumble once vs the Bills). Not to mention Lassic had 73 yards on 22 total touches, compared to 83 on 27 touches for the great Thurman. I'd say he wasn't bad there. Although I'm not sure exactly who fumbled the rest of them, as every site I try doesn't show the fummies. 

23 hours ago, kamphuna8 said:

I saw this not long after it was posted and I have to apologize (and shame on erryone else who didn't) for not uprepping this right away. This is a fantastic thread starter idea etc and it's right up my alley in terms of eras.

Frankly, I've got 10 tabs of ProFootballRec open side by side here and going over this sweet sweet era of football, much less RBs.

I have to say the only problem I see, and someone above pointed it out, was the ommission of Hershel Walker. I'd have Hershel right up there with Roger Craig. I think James Brooks is high, but man some of his seasons he had some amazing receiving totals like Hershel and Craig did. Joe Morris was the truth, and 21 TDs in one season is a testament to that. Neal Anderson I remember being dominant, but in 1991 the most memorable play I have (other than Tom Waddle making heroic catch after heroic catch, getting up over and over after taking some serious licks while holding onto the football) was Neal Anderson getting stuffed on 4th and 1 late and essentially sealing the win on the road for the upstart Cowboys. I have to be honest, that biases my recollection of him, so I'll look into it more deeply.

Kudos to you sir, great topic again.

What of value have I brought? Well I want to hone in my own top 10, but I want to get deep into it. In the meantime, I'll just share some of those fantastic seasons that many might not recall.

1. Roger Craig - 1985. You might be wondering, what's so special about his season, he only ran for 1050 yards? Well, homeboy caught 92 passes for 1016 yards that season also. YES as a RB. It doesn't hurt to have Joe Montana being your QB, but man, epiccc season! (side note, Chargers All purpose RB Lionel James also had more than 1000 receiving yards and he had over 2500 all purpose yards that season. RIDICK!)

2. Marcus Allen - 1985 - Marcus was a stud, and let's not forget that much of his later Raider career had some Al Davis interference, and when he finally got free to KC, the man was a TD scoring Machine! This guy was just a stud. PERIOD! And why is he here at 2? Allen's 1985 season was the highest total yards from scrimmage of any year of any back from 85 - 95 with the only tally over 2300 yards, frankly the only one over 2200 yards also.

3. Joe Morris 1985 - 21 TDs rushing, nuff said. Joe Morris was a tiny dude in my recollection. But man he was a tough runner, fit those Parcells Giants perfectly.

4. Eric Dickerson 1986, Barry Sanders 1994 - the only two RBs in this time period to eclipse 1800 yards rushing. Barry had 1883. Damn.

5. Eric Dickerson's Butterfingas. - Fumble totals starting in 83. 13,14,10,12, and throw in another 10 fumble season in 1989. He should have had some low BC

6. Emmitt 1993 - Yes I'm a Cowboys fan. Don't forget, he didn't play the first 2 games due to holding out, and then without doing anything with the team during that whole holdout, he came in and led the league in rushing and sealed a critical Division title win and bye with his performance at the Meadowlands separating his shoulder and still doing the dirty work and helping secure the W.

A Final Note on the Cowboys Offensive line.

I am not here to tell anyone that Emmitt did NOT have a better offensive line than that of Barry and the Lions, nor will I try to argue that Emmitt was a better runner, because I think the 2 best runners of all time were Barry and Gale Sayers. BUT,

before we go assuming that the Dallas Oline was the bees knees for that whole time, let's pump the brakes a bit here. The crew that started it all, Stepnoski in the Middle, the Double G guards, Gogan and Gesek, and Tuniei and Nate Newton at the Tackles (Newton moved around where it best helped the team, as he was a guard for most of his career) were much maligned until a certain number 22 showed up and even then, it wasn't until 1992 that they started to get some cred, especially since they ended up winning the super bowl. Those guys got better once Emmitt got there, and Emmitt and them helped Troy and Norv get that timing passing offense to work. In 1991, I was ECSTATIC after watching the Cowboys in a week 2 Monday night game give the Redskins a hell of a game, one in which Emmitt busted for a 75 yard TD run. They lost by 2, but it wasn't that close at the end, cuz the cowboys scored late to cut it to 2.

The next week was a reality check. Aikman was sacked 11 times vs one of the best defenses ever (90 Eagles), granted, and the Cowboys were shut out 24-0. Aikman passed for barely over 100 yards and also threw 3 picks. Emmitt rushed for 44 yards. They got CRUSHEDED. CRUSHEDEDEDED! 80% essentially the same OL that gets most of the kudos for being the OL that did all those holes for Emmitt. Also, don't forget that football is a team sport. Another reason for those holes included the defense also being concerned for Aikman to 88 and 84. I digress.

This is really about Emmitt, and where he deserves to be on this list. I think top 2 or 3 is fair and accurate. Durability and winning should count as well, like Buck mentioned about Durability above. I fell in love with Emmitt at the Aloha Bowl back in 1987. I was at this game. Due to all the drunk UCLA kids around ( I was a 14 year old kid at the time ) and fans in Hawaii in general being more reserved as sports fans at the time, I cheered for the Gators here (as I did in most of the UF FSU games I got to see). Emmitt was a baller, I'm excited to watch this again. He's always been a baller, even his record setting days at Escambia down in P-Cola on the Florida Panhandle.

Great post KAMP...just remember...WALKERS' on MY list.  By the way, quit bein' a COWGIRLS homer! ;)

Edited by ~Tailback King~

On 8/24/2016 at 3:02 PM, buck said:

dude, grouping Walter Payton in the same era as Marshall Faulk is stupid.  you set the rules, 85-95, I started the thread with the rule they had to have had at least 4 season within 1985-1995.  

that fucking simple.  now go back and follow the rules and make a new list, or start your own thread.

?????  Walter Payton & Marshall Faulk had A LOT of similarities.  You know buck, if i didn't respect you as much as I did, I'd tell you to go f%*k your self.  But, This is yo fukk!n thread so I'll come bacc with another list.........and still have a better list than you could ever come up with.

Sincerely,

~T.B.K.

if I didn't respect you, I wouldn't have started this thread.  all I'm asking is to work wit me.  gotta keep things in the same "golden" 1985-1995 era.  Faulk was the beginning of the next era.  Payton was the end of the era before.  see?

4 minutes ago, buck said:

if I didn't respect you, I wouldn't have started this thread.  all I'm asking is to work wit me.  gotta keep things in the same "golden" 1985-1995 era.  Faulk was the beginning of the next era.  Payton was the end of the era before.  see?

I kinda see.........but I alwayz though of Payton as a 'Golden Era" back......Faulks' rookie year and Paytons last was only separated by 6 or seven years wasn't it???  That was my point...................but I get it.

Payton played '75-'87, he was basically done after 1985 - CHI won that championship (although he did have 1300 yards in '86).  Payton started playing NFL back when d'backs could molest WR at the LoS and players could chug frescas and smoke cigs during halftime.  

I know Walter's not totally "old school", heck he's my favorite RB, but when your glory days are ending in 1985, then you are in a different era, in my opinion. For example, Johnny Johnson and Walter weren't even in the league at the same time.

Well buck..............Walter Payton & Johnny Johnson were only separated by 3 years...........Thats kinda my point.....alot of people couldn't do what Payton could but tried......J.J. could do what Dickerson could in the style he did,... but maybe not as well, but in the situation he was given...???  If Johnny Johnson woulda' been drafted to the Cowboys, and Emmitt went to the Cardinals in 90'...what off raw talent woulda' happened then???....thats my point.  Johnson was NEVER spoon fed.  In the NFL, ya take whatcha get...I give props to the backs who were'nt givin' $#!t, and still found a way to handle they $#!t........... Johnson handled his $#!t. 

Serious hypothetical:

put David Johnson at Cardinal RB 1985-86 (with the work he's put in 2015-16) and Johnny Johnson at Cardinal RB 1990-92 (with the work he put in 1990-92), and who's the better Johnson?