New York, NY - 10/15/16 - The New York Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament 2016

https://northeasttecmo.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/cropped-nelogoheader.png?w=940&h=198&crop=1

The New York City Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament 2016

When: Saturday, October 15th, 2016- Setup and registration starts @ 10:00 AM EST; Play will start @ 11:00 AM EST.

Location: Raven's Head Public House, 3804 Broadway, Astoria, NY 11103
(Approx. 15 minutes from Midtown Manhattan, Uptown R train to Steinway Street in Queens)

Desired Number of Participants: 32-48

Buy-in: $30 cash at the door, 20% off via online registration before Sept. 30

Equipment: We need Nintendos, TVs, Controllers, Carts! If you are able to bring any of these in working condition, please let us know what you can bring and how many of each. If you are able to provide any television sets, please let us know the size and any kind of hookup (RF Switch/AV Cable).

Tourney Format: Group play will include a minimum of 4 players in each group playing one another in round-robin format. Once group play is completed, all players move on to the bracket and are seeded according to their finish in their group standings and record. The bottom half of the field plays each other in the first round of the bracket. All other players with better records get BYEs. The better you do in group play, the more BYEs you may receive (for some, it may be at least two or three BYEs). The Single Elimination Bracket will decide who will be the NYC Tecmo Super Bowl Champion!

Prizes: Trophies and cash prizes will be awarded to top three participants. All participants will be eligible to win raffle prizes throughout the day!

How to Register: Register online at northeasttecmo.com! Tournament entry is $30, but if you pre-register and pay online through Paypal before September 30th, you will receive a 20% discount!

Questions: Feel free to post questions about the tournament below or you can direct them to [email protected]

Come celebrate 25 years of Tecmo this year at Raven's Head on October 15th!

• 2 weeks later...

What is the winning play for competitors traveling from the south? Train? Hitchhiking? I know driving into NYC is a hurrible idea, but there is also the question of whether you have gear to bring (we might have amounts greater than zero and less than TecmoPsycho). Is there a place you can dump a van other than off a pier into the Hudson River?

Slightly related question: what is the outlook for night-before gaming?

I assume you may be coming from DC since your location says there, but let me know if I'm wrong.  I've taken a bus down to Union Station in DC quite a few times as well as Amtrak.  Both are really good options and it's probably only 25 minutes by subway to the bar once you arrive in NYC.  As for driving, it's not as bad as people think if you avoid Manhattan as much as possible. You could stay in one of the outer boroughs or conceivably outside the city.  But traffic can be really bad at certain times of the day (as TecmoPsycho found out last year). Plenty of people drive in from PA, NJ, CT and Western NY.

We haven't had any formal night-before gaming ritual, but some of the locals get together the week before the tournament to practice.  I'd be open to firing up the game the night before if someone was willing to host.

7 hours ago, Bad Moon Rison said:

How long do you think you'll be in town?  Also, do I have you on the mailing list?

Just paid entry fee.

I'll be getting there Friday around noon wish and leaving Sunday morning. Kind of a quick turn around, but it'll still be great fun.

I don't think I'm on the mailing list.

I was wondering if its worth it to rent a car or just use the transit system? I don't think I want to stress over NYC traffic 

Edited by suicideking81

I had so much fun last year at the NYC tournament. However, with my schedule this year I won't be able to make it out. [/sad face]. I would need a flight from southern Wisconsin/northern Illinois to leave between midnight-7 a.m. Saturday and get me in to LaGuardia early Saturday morning. Unfortunately, the earliest I can find is an arrival time of 10:30 a.m. And assuming flights will run on time (they won't), and I can hop an Uber right out of the gate (doubtful) and traffic is easy to break (20 minutes), I would be able to make it upstairs for the opening ceremony. 

So I'll miss it this year.... But hopefully I'll see everyone at the (let's hope it's 100% real) Tecmo Madison in April! 

4 hours ago, Super Duper said:

I had so much fun last year at the NYC tournament. However, with my schedule this year I won't be able to make it out. [/sad face]. I would need a flight from southern Wisconsin/northern Illinois to leave between midnight-7 a.m. Saturday and get me in to LaGuardia early Saturday morning. Unfortunately, the earliest I can find is an arrival time of 10:30 a.m. And assuming flights will run on time (they won't), and I can hop an Uber right out of the gate (doubtful) and traffic is easy to break (20 minutes), I would be able to make it upstairs for the opening ceremony. 

So I'll miss it this year.... But hopefully I'll see everyone at the (let's hope it's 100% real) Tecmo Madison in April! 

So you just described being able to make it for the beginning of the tourney...  am I missing something?  :)

Booked flights and hotel!!!! I'll be landing at JFK right before 11am on Friday. Need to know a great spot to eat some NYC BBQ or any other good eats.

Will there be an issue with me streaming some of the games during the tournament? I may bring my PC.

Edited by suicideking81

This list is for some of the top BBQ spots, a few of which I have been to: http://ny.eater.com/maps/new-york-city-best-barbecue-brooklyn-queens  Though I must question why BBQ when most of us Northerners are in awe of any BBQ south of the Mason-Dixon line.  :) 

Streaming is not only allowed, but encouraged!

• 2 weeks later...