davefmurray

Madison, WI - 04/08/17 - Tecmo Madison XIII: Return of the Mack

20 hours ago, averagetsbplayer said:

Heh, if I did that, it was purely by accident. I went to the screen for the sole purpose of putting him at a WR position. I either put him in at WR and then accidentally swapped him back, or I got distracted by Miller's condition and forgot to swap, or snuck it by you :-D 

Butts Ironhead, what's with this thingy?

On 4/10/2017 at 2:06 PM, tecmobo said:

@davefmurray Thanks to you and the team again for keeping the Tecmo Main Event alive! And thanks to Josh, Chet, and the previous organizers for helping with the transition.

Question for ya Dave - I just remembered that there was that "top 12" set of prizes. How are the finishing positions 9-16 determined between the 8 people that got bounced in the round of 16?

Someone else just said something bout top 12 get prizes.. i had no knowledge of this.. do you know what they are?

9 minutes ago, joeygats said:

Someone else just said something bout top 12 get prizes.. i had no knowledge of this.. do you know what they are?

The answers to both questions: http://tecmomadison.com/top-12-finisher-sponsor-prizes-tecmo-xiii/

Koei Tecmo is hooking you up if you get into the Top 12! All Top 12 finishers will get a 6-pack of awesome, new Koei Tecmo releases for PS4!

Prizes will be distributed as a download code for use in the PS Store. Finishers will be determined by Placement > Record > Point Differential.

9 hours ago, davefmurray said:

The answers to both questions: http://tecmomadison.com/top-12-finisher-sponsor-prizes-tecmo-xiii/

Koei Tecmo is hooking you up if you get into the Top 12! All Top 12 finishers will get a 6-pack of awesome, new Koei Tecmo releases for PS4!

Prizes will be distributed as a download code for use in the PS Store. Finishers will be determined by Placement > Record > Point Differential.

nice can it be traded in for cash or a nes system since i dont own a ps4?

I'm a little late to the Thank You Party, but here goes:

Dave, Casey, The Crew, The Ladies ... You were all fantastic in keeping this thing alive and prosperous. I won't knock the bar right now, we all know it had flaws (basically space), but they were still accommodating and if it wasn't for the pitchers of water and instant-pizza, I probably would have to have been put on an IV in a local hospital by late afternoon.

I was going to make this my last competitive tournament. I know I'm not a great player, merely average-to-competitive (at best) based on matchups. But then I had to go and start 2-0, just one win from advancing out of group play for my first time in four Madison's, and lose to Noonan twice in a row. So... Now I think I'll play another year.

Without going into detail on any of my matchups, I'll just list off some of my personal favorite memories from the weekend:

-Performing life-saving surgery on a TV Friday afternoon on the patio - successfully, I might add

-Whatever the hell happened in my NHL elimination game, because it went to OT and I was very loud (so, sorry about that)

-Play-by-play/Color commentary with Beef Juice of the dude playing Contra on Friday

-Segathon's face while trying to shift through 8 sheets of brackets for two tournaments Friday night

-"Mark Duper! Party" - The People's Champ at morning brunch

-Watching Moskwa dump about 5 shots of Fireball into his one cup of hazelnut coffee before venturing to High Noon on foot

-That feeling of winning (and soundly) my first game in Madison in over two years

-God damn Jets-NO, and having my entire starting lineup on "bad" after the first quarter. Thanks, Noonan

-Pizza On Demand

-The skinny brunette bartender's smile

-(at The Plaza) "I'll take a pitcher of Pabst."    "How many glasses?"    "Uh.... One?"

-Cardboard Kevin Mack hanging out at The Plaza

-"61"

It was a fabulous weekend. As always, it was great to see everyone again. Tecmo weekend is my favorite weekend and I look forward to it every year.

Edited by Super Duper

4 minutes ago, Super Duper said:

-Watching Moskwa dump about 5 shots of Fireball into his one cup of hazelnut coffee before venturing to High Noon on foot

This makes a lot of sense. I talked to Joe when he walked in. I introduced him to my wife and he says not your typical meet-and-greet. "Wow. Holy Shit.", shakes her hand and walks away. Thanks for that, Joe. Not awkward at all.

lol

22 hours ago, joeygats said:

nice can it be traded in for cash or a nes system since i dont own a ps4?

images.thumb.jpg.7031f92985e372c9024b88c2fef2819c.jpg

On 4/10/2017 at 0:34 PM, OL' Dirty Tecmo said:

Just "Diaz"

Shaq Diazel (b-ball)

Dick Vital 

The Big Mexican (bc I'm half Cuban smh)

Cubanrocks/cubanrocket

Diazzhole (Thee-Ass-Hole)

Mattrick Swayze 

and OL' Dirty Tecmo

Langerous Diazons?

On 4/13/2017 at 2:23 PM, davefmurray said:

This makes a lot of sense. I talked to Joe when he walked in. I introduced him to my wife and he says not your typical meet-and-greet. "Wow. Holy Shit.", shakes her hand and walks away. Thanks for that, Joe. Not awkward at all.

lol

This is legend building stuff right here. Sounds to me like we need a Moskwa facts page. His reputation grows each time I see or hear about him.

Speaking of which, I saw the people's champion, Marino, made it, saw him playing on Friday night. What happened with him??

Wanted to give a few shout-outs (mostly seconding @bruddog):

Obviously to @davefmurray, @Knobbe, and the whole crew, including the SOs, that helped with the setup and teardown. No joke there, even with the comped retrons. Loved the "is it cheaper to keep it or toss it?" quandaries at the end.

@red98sethuthut, @mort1237 , @joeygats, @bruddog, @discdolo,and  @RetroNathan for letting me in on their gaming on Thursday night, and likewise on Friday afternoon for an hour or two with @Coconuts, Moskwa, and others. Some of you may have noticed I was party pooping due to needing to work remotely and helping with setup, so Thursday night was really the time to get games in. I really appreciated the chance to play with you and test/verify some of the newer wrinkles I've written about. As always, those FAQs are in public domain, go add stuff to them.

Wanted also to tip my hat to the guy that eliminated me (don't know if he has a forum handle, I'll avoid using real names) in the main tournament. When the bracket comes out, you would see that he lost the first game 24-7 and won the second in OT (13-10). What actually happened in the first game was he drove me the length of the field twice in the first half with smashmouth football. I never stopped that rushing attack that game, I just got some points on the board and made a couple key plays. But what really impressed me was that in the second game, he abandoned that strategy completely and went to a combination of throwing the ball deep to Al Toon, and then blitzing/free up boys with Dennis Byrd. I'm assuming he watched PrimeTime use that approach successfully against me in my first loss (thanks, Aikman) and saw my execution wasn't good at all (which all of you on Thursday night saw, like @mort1237 in two different games, how I could force you to give me a bunch of wide-open receivers and then totally botch the easy play). Even though I completely locked down his running game in the second half, had him outtapped, calling pass plays all the time, with the better team, and I even won the overtime toss, by going to the high-volatility approach, he hung in there and gave himself a chance to win with Rosenbach missed passes and some truly dreadful plays on my part. That was an incredibly ballsy move - maybe not the most correct approach strategically, but as a competitor I have to acknowledge that kind of bold play.

@bruddog how did you mod all the carts so @red98sethuthut fumbled 4 times a game?

Also, (I know this is a broken record) since I didn't give you guys enough chances to earn bounties, I'm giving another $500 to Action Against Hunger to make up for the missed opportunities. I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow.

On 4/16/2017 at 6:29 PM, CCase798 said:

Wait, did I miss contra speed runs?  Ah shit...Im def coming on Friday next yearz

Nah they just had one unit on Friday night with Contra on it. Some dude was playing and judging from what Duper and I watched it was definitely not a speed run.

"OOOH! AND HE AGAIN WALKS INTO THE SPIKE WALL. YOU'RE NOT GONNA DEFEAT VILE RED FALCON WITH THAT MOVE!"

2 hours ago, Beef Juice said:

Nah they just had one unit on Friday night with Contra on it. Some dude was playing and judging from what Duper and I watched it was definitely not a speed run.

"OOOH! AND HE AGAIN WALKS INTO THE SPIKE WALL. YOU'RE NOT GONNA DEFEAT VILE RED FALCON WITH THAT MOVE!"

Lol, Im the only person I personally know to beat the game without dying.  Fun game to go 1-1 in speed runs...might be a fun idea for next year....nes speed runs.

17 minutes ago, CCase798 said:

Lol, Im the only person I personally know to beat the game without dying.  Fun game to go 1-1 in speed runs...might be a fun idea for next year....nes speed runs.

One night many years ago I was eliminated first in a game of Risk, and after the conversation turned to video games, somebody mentioned that they read the hardest thing to do (can't remember if it was NES or all video games) was to beat Contra with just 3 lives.  I said this was ridiculous as I could pretty easily do  it, so I busted out my NES and proceeded to beat the game without dying once!  Can't remember if I'd done that before or done it again, but it's certainly doable. 

A race of this game would be a great time!  I think @Tecmo Psycho is also an enthusiast.

29 minutes ago, toolie said:

One night many years ago I was eliminated first in a game of Risk,

Did you get in a fight with someone over Australia?  That was does me in....beside me yelling at all my opponents/potential allies that I am much smarter than them.  

59 minutes ago, segathonsov said:

Did you get in a fight with someone over Australia?  That was does me in....beside me yelling at all my opponents/potential allies that I am much smarter than them.  

That's why you give them the ol Australia Okee Doke and get South America man

22 hours ago, toolie said:

One night many years ago I was eliminated first in a game of Risk, and after the conversation turned to video games, somebody mentioned that they read the hardest thing to do (can't remember if it was NES or all video games) was to beat Contra with just 3 lives.  I said this was ridiculous as I could pretty easily do  it, so I busted out my NES and proceeded to beat the game without dying once!  Can't remember if I'd done that before or done it again, but it's certainly doable. 

A race of this game would be a great time!  I think @Tecmo Psycho is also an enthusiast.

Yea that games easier than people make it out to be.  We speed run Mario 3 on teo tvs also.  Have to clear every level, no warps.  Takes about two hours but its worth it at the end.

On 4/18/2017 at 3:17 PM, Dotdon said:

That's why you give them the ol Australia Okee Doke and get South America man

Hunker down in the Ukraine or the Congo with all your troops and die with honor like a man.