davefmurray

Madison, WI - 04/08/17 - Tecmo Madison XIII: Return of the Mack

624 posts in this topic

The tecmo gods have spoken to me in my sleep with participation from those with the know how 4 Teams playing one game could be a thing in time.

Pete Kerrrrrrns has returned to Madison to re-take his rightful throne as king of Neenah Tecmo. #ripskunker

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, hankthetank said:

The tecmo gods have spoken to me in my sleep with participation from those with the know how 4 Teams playing one game could be a thing in time.

Please Tecmo God let me get to the final 64 and please let me get past the first round this time, I promise i wont pick the Colts anymore, or propose a Patriot Packers Matchup,  please Tecmo God

tenor.gif

Edited by SlaughterHouse

Welp, I can't concentrate on work any more. My brain has gone full Tecmo. It's gonna be a long 6 hours of work tomorrow.

29 minutes ago, Beef Juice said:

Welp, I can't concentrate on work any more. My brain has gone full Tecmo. It's gonna be a long 6 hours of work tomorrow.

Yup, Work Deadlines Sega just got the crap kicked out of him by Tecmo Sega, Fatherood Sega saw the beatdown and has locked himself away.  

Once in Madtown, Drunk Sega's gonna sucker punch Tecmo Sega pretty quick me thinks.  But all lose to Hungover Sega and his unlimited power.

Got my headband packed and ready to roll! I didn't grab any beer so I will not be swapping tonight.

@noonan I spent some time last night digging through my cards but came up empty (How do no Al Del Greco cards exist?). I did however find a sweet Jim Jensen Panini sticker which is now proudly adorning my NES I'm bringing. I also found another card that was so magnificent it will be making an appearance with me tomorrow to give me Tecmo strength.

Looking forward to seeing everyone tonight and getting my NHL and Jam on.

We're at the Hampton room 739. Hit us up for games.

We decided to leave milwaukee early, anyone with a spare bed shoot me a message, will pay. ¬†Be there about 3 am ūüėÖ

I just wanna say thanks for running a massive tournament, I know its not easy.  

My biggest setback was being jabbed in the side twice by a chair, while playing, or even just the people bumping into us, as we were in an aisle way.  The place is to small for the field youre running, what about a hotel convention center...theyve had to hear about how much we spend, and would stay there too...?

other than that, thank you dave, bailey, the ladies and everyone else that helped out.  Great tournament, and cant wait to watch the live stream tonight.

Whoever this commentator with bailey is, he is really good. ¬†ūüĎćūüĎć

Good job Dave! However I agree about the space situation. I'm not sure about the pricing, but for next year definitely check out the Monona Terrace convention center.  It's great Tecmo Madison has grown to be this big. 

https://www.mononaterrace.com

Imo Tecmo is only going to get bigger and better. The intricacies of the game are astounding imo. The more I play and the more research I do it's almost like a real time strategy based board game of sorts. The announcing on the steam was top notch, and it was an overall great experience. You deserve to have it in a bigger venue to showcase everything. I didn't want to come across like I was talking smack about the venue (it's all love here), my thought process is the success that has been built could make it so it's at a convention center like the Monona Terrace. 

Still have some time to kill in the Madison airport so will do a little recap of this years trip...

Early morning flight out of San Diego on Thursday with a long layover in Denver. But had a nice flight of beers at the new belgium location in the airport...thanks @Knobbe for the suggestion. @mort1237 was nice enough to pick me up from the airport and then drove me to Linconhawks place. He was a very gracious host and nice guy. 

We stopped by the high noon on our way back to the super 8 but no one was there so we continued on. We had a nice setup going in Mort/lous/gats room at the super 8 with 3 TV's. One super small one, one medium sized one, and I busted out the retroUSB AVS HDMI unit to play on the flat screen T.V. No one complained about any lag on the flatscreen, and that was super fun to play on. We ordered some pizza from Toppers which was super tasty and we concluded that the large? was not quite enough pizza. @Nameless Loser , @discdolo,and  @RetroNathan joined us to get a nice group going for some practice games. Very cool to finally meet discdolo and Nate. Both very good guys. I don't think I played gats that night...maybe once. Got to play everyone else. Did pretty well but not great. Went 0-3 vs mort.  Played until

about 2 or so and then called it a night. Let Nate crash in my room for the night. He was re-payed the favor by shuttling me the next day and grabbing my lunch the next day much thanks. I eneded up sleeping in till about 10:00.  

Got a ride from nate over to high noon to help the TecmoMadison crew @tecmoaz, @davefmurray, @Knobbe , @QB Browns and friends move some T.V's and with some set-up stuff on Friday. Definitely a lot of work and little sleep for these guys throughout the weekend. All the hard work was much appreciated. Nate and Knobbe and I grabbed my lunch next door at some point. The breakfast stout was super tasty. Forgot to put that into my untapped. Helped get some the stations tested and checked out and @segathonsov rolled in around that point and got to chat with him.  Headed over to the Hampton to drop off my stuff and check-in real quick before heading back to the high noon. They had a cool little welcome tecmo madison sign in the lobbby. 

The friday night retro scene was crazy. It was definitely tight quarters with the layout and a very good turnout. Ran into a lot of people obviously so pretty hard to name them all. I got a lot of the usual thanks "for all the hacks, etc". Always appreciate the kind words. Didn't get to watch much of the NHL games but did get to watch a few the NBA jam games. The final few games came down to the wire and it was definitely interesting to watch the 2 vs 2 strategy being displayed. I only ever really played 1 on 1 nba jam so it was cool to watch. Got 6-7 tecmo games in that night without a loss. Retro got shut down about 10:30 or so and I think I must have lost my prescription sunglasses at some point at retro night...I asked the next day but they didn't have them.  I was due for a new pair anyways. 

Went back to the hampton for some fun times in @JimSocks13, @Woodshed  room. (Tagging stopped working) Lou, odell, dt, mort, tecmobo, nate and a few others im forgetting were there too. Pee wee herman was on the big flat screen tv. There were two tube tvs going. Mort's nintendo took a beating from a guest that tripped over the cord but it kept on ticking. I busted out the AVS on the flat screen for 3 games vs ( jimsocks, lou and odell). I think it took a last second jj to beat odell and I went 3-0 and decided to retired for the night. DT was busting out random NFL trivia questions as the games were going on. Good times! 

I again got as much sleep as possible before the main event and sat down with Odell, DT, Levi, and someone I'm forgetting for breakfast. Lots of god stuff at the hampton so I had fuel for the grind ahead. 

The patio area outside the high noon saloon was a good place to congregate as it was very tight quarters inside the high noon for group play. I was fortunate to be upstairs which had a tiny bit more room although the orenga posse was right next to me and it was definitely hotter up the     

To be continued...

Is the lag on the flat-screen because of the hdmi hookup? I'm asking because as you know I have my nes hooked up to a flat screen using component cables and there is no lag at all. 

Posted (edited)

I thought I'd update my profile a bit after this weekend.  I'll have a new picture as soon as I find a way to take a selfie while holding 2 trophies.  

Edited by hankthetank

1 hour ago, averagetsbplayer said:

For the 5th consecutive year, I successfully didn't pass out in the Plaza bathroom. I call the tournament a success.

Though some poor girl did vomit all over the girl's room. Quintessential Plaza.

20 minutes ago, sonofpatbeach said:

Wasnt my wife, we left early.  Im sure theyre use to it the way they poured cocktails tho.  That was stronger than my tecmo game, thats for sure.

1 hour ago, sonofpatbeach said:

No such thing without a jukebox to feed Topps and/or Pro Set football cards to. 

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, hankthetank said:

I thought I'd update my profile a bit after this weekend.  I'll have a new picture as soon as I find a way to take a selfie while holding 2 trophies.  

Hank, you are the modern version of this man from Tecmo II, more than a decade ago:

004.JPG

Edited by sonofpatbeach

I ask for simple things..  1) Must have this event again, 2) DaveMurray and team (Baily, TecmoAZ) must run it again as they did well, very well.  3) Organizers ask for help, you will get it (I for one volunteering to help) and 4) Venue... we all know improvements will be made. May I suggest Marriott Madison West? (or hotel with large enough ballroom)  Picture link below of their ballroom.  I know Flo has hotel management experience and can offer suggestions as to booking recommendations/ideas.
I figured with guaranteed room bookings, we can get a hotel/ballroom at a discount, or cover these expenses, reduce payout to placings in an attempt to book (have sponsors assist).  Bar and staff required (yes extra $$$) but I say we give that a go next time..

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0871564,-89.5223975,3a,90y,149.82h,79.16t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1s-rKNVHyCDomU%2FV8FMom4p3FI%2FAAAAAAAAAyY%2FMjNpJF63dhQfgM0v1i0tNOJWrdlVu0X-wCLIB!2e4!3e11!6s%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2F-rKNVHyCDomU%2FV8FMom4p3FI%2FAAAAAAAAAyY%2FMjNpJF63dhQfgM0v1i0tNOJWrdlVu0X-wCLIB%2Fw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya112.500015-ro0-fo100%2F!7i7680!8i3840!6m1!1e1

Commentators were really good, but I think it would be great to have some players sit in to commentate after they were eliminated through out the night.  Even if its just in a moderate role breaking down a few things or getting asked some questions about what just happened on a particular play.