davefmurray

Madison, WI - 04/08/17 - Tecmo Madison XIII: Return of the Mack

521 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, davefmurray said:

5 weeks....

Is that enough time to have a shirt made that says "NOOBSLAYER"?

50 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Of course.

Posted (edited)

How do you guys recommend training against the computer? When my buddies aren't around I have no choice but to play that way. I'm honestly not going to setup the rom and play online, I'm only interested in playing the console directly.  

Should I just play top tier teams like the 49ers or Bills in preseason mode or should I go through full seasons? Should I edit the computer teams playbook to mirror a tournament player? Thanks for the info. 

Edited by LincolnHawk

5 minutes ago, LincolnHawk said:

Should I edit the computer teams playbook to mirror a tournament player?

Yes, you'll want to look for ways to stop the plays coming at you.

19 minutes ago, LincolnHawk said:

How do you guys recommend training against the computer? When my buddies aren't around I have no choice but to play that way. I'm honestly not going to setup the rom and play online, I'm only interested in playing the console directly.  

Should I just play top tier teams like the 49ers or Bills in preseason mode or should I go through full seasons? Should I edit the computer teams playbook to mirror a tournament player? Thanks for the info. 

The various challenges are always a good time to build skills:

Pittsburgh (or really any D) challenge: You can only be the Pitt D, you have to punt or kick a FG on every possession. Works on Special Teams and Defense - if you have a hard time with FGs, doing this with the Chiefs or SD is a good method to dial in kicking. 

Miami Challenge: You can only advance the ball by running with Dan - so you only call your 4 pass plays. 

I can't think of any others because those are just fun. 

Posted (edited)

There are a few things I think you can work on vs the computer:

• Running the same pass play over and over to get comfortable cycling through receivers and timing routes.
  • Dodging drones on long runs. Making sure that if you win a grapple or the MAN defender gets blocked or bounced that you will take every run for as far as it can go.
  • Changing the computer's plays to reflect a tournament player's playbook and trying to defend different plays from different positions. Knowing who isn't blocked on run plays and what positions drop in coverage.
  • You can also practice tapping. Maybe try tweaking your technique while in game vs computer. I think something that people sometimes forget about being a good tapper is having a good jump when the tap battle starts. You want your first press to be as close to the beginning of the tap-off and switching your grip from running a ballcarrier/defender to how you tap fastest might make you skip a beat. Practicing on a ROM or with Track and Field or some other game is also a good way to track how fast you are tapping.
  • Oh, and kicking field goals. Play on a ROM and do a save state before you attempt, so you can quickly reload your save state and attempt a kick over and over.

Outside of that, I don't think there is much you can work on without having a person there.

Edited by ImFlo

1 hour ago, ImFlo said:

There are a few things I think you can work on vs the computer:

• Running the same pass play over and over to get comfortable cycling through receivers and timing routes.
  • Dodging drones on long runs. Making sure that if you win a grapple or the MAN defender gets blocked or bounced that you will take every run for as far as it can go.
  • Changing the computer's plays to reflect a tournament player's playbook and trying to defend different plays from different positions. Knowing who isn't blocked on run plays and what positions drop in coverage.
  • You can also practice tapping. Maybe try tweaking your technique while in game vs computer. I think something that people sometimes forget about being a good tapper is having a good jump when the tap battle starts. You want your first press to be as close to the beginning of the tap-off and switching your grip from running a ballcarrier/defender to how you tap fastest might make you skip a beat. Practicing on a ROM or with Track and Field or some other game is also a good way to track how fast you are tapping.
  • Oh, and kicking field goals. Play on a ROM and do a save state before you attempt, so you can quickly reload your save state and attempt a kick over and over.

Outside of that, I don't think there is much you can work on without having a person there.

there is the "all blitz" rom I made -

this is worth practicing vs COM, especially pass plays.  and that is the reason I made the rom - practice.

note to self:  I should have made this on a rom with in-game playbook change, I will later.

LPGE-2-1024x291.png

Tecmo Madison has partnered with the Let's Play Gaming Expo this year. They have sponsored our field to extend the tournament payouts further but also to add a bit more to our tournament circuit.

The Let’s Play Gaming Expo is one of the most interactive conventions in the land, celebrating all of gaming, be it board, card, or video. Their third year will feature all the things you loved from the previous years, only bigger and better again! #LPGE has featured 85+ vendor tables, 80+ arcade cabinets, the national Smash Bros tournament Low Tier City, the only Classic Tetris World Championship regional qualifier, a Tecmo Madison qualifier, retro game tournaments, modern game tournaments, panels, special guests, and much, much more!

Yes, you read right. We, Tecmo Madison, are taking our talents to Dallas! August 5th, 2017 will be the first qualifier of the Tecmo Bowl XIV season, kicking off with our first qualifier in Dallas. More details to come. If you'd like to keep up to date with the upcoming Dallas qualifier, please sign up to the mailing list by clicking below:

http://tecmo.cc/TMDallasXIV_signup

On 2/27/2017 at 1:44 PM, bruddog said:

This is why you see people putting in fast Rb's at wr for end of half bombs. 

I do this because they run to the endzone faster 

On 2/28/2017 at 4:44 PM, Coconuts said:

What color of sharpie should I bring?

1 hour ago, Knobbe said:

That is the other side of the same coin of this statement I made right above the one you quoted. 

"Speed is even bigger factor in completing deep passes then reception in most cases (don't need to hold ball as long, harder for drones and man to stay in the right position) "

don't need to hold ball as long = run to the endzone faster albeit not worded as well. 

On 2/28/2017 at 4:44 PM, Coconuts said:

Totally

19 hours ago, Knobbe said:

What color of sharpie should I bring?

Having your vanquished enemies sign your shirt after defeat is an ELITE idea. 

For Friday Retro Night NHL 95 Tourny- Top 4 ways to Score

On 3/1/2017 at 5:07 PM, Knobbe said:

Rik prefers slow receivers.

On 2/28/2017 at 9:55 PM, ImFlo said:

There are a few things I think you can work on vs the computer...

I think it's pretty cool that Flo's brother has continued his legacy by attending tournaments and posting to threads after Flo's untimely death at BurningMort. He's not as good at Tecmo or nearly as good looking as Flo, but you take what you can get. I didn't catch his name at Green Bay, but he seemed like a good guy.

On 2/28/2017 at 2:04 PM, Beef Juice said:

Burritos are good but I really enjoy getting a gyro at that place across from the Plaza.

Both the memories and the indigestion will remain with you indefinitely

Just now, duecethasa1nt said:

Again? There have been so many "Chuck Norris achievement" threads. *eyeroll*

Sorry, but you only do this with Regulator.

If you guys tell me what kind of food you like I can recommend the best places. I've lived in this area pretty much all my life. 

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, LincolnHawk said:

If you guys tell me what kind of food you like I can recommend the best places. I've lived in this area pretty much all my life. 

Nah, we know where the Rocky Rococo is.

Speaking of, the highlight of going there last year on Friday night, aside from bumping into the People's Champion, was Sega and I eating pizza and laughing like morons at all the terrible puns on the movie posters in that place.

Edited by Beef Juice

We're one month and one day from this thing. So, please, if you find that you cannot make it...

DROP OUT NOW

Thanks, 

The Poor Bastard who has to rearrange everything because of the cascading effect of one person leaving the tournament who would prefer to do changes now instead of frantically working on an excel spreadsheet the Friday night/Saturday morning of tournament weekend. 

21 minutes ago, qb_browns said:

We're one month and one day from this thing. So, please, if you find that you cannot make it...

DROP OUT NOW

Thanks, 

The Poor Bastard who has to rearrange everything because of the cascading effect of one person leaving the tournament who would prefer to do changes now instead of frantically working on an excel spreadsheet the Friday night/Saturday morning of tournament weekend. 

Appreciate all your work with this--I will find you and buy you a beer sir.