davefmurray

Madison, WI - 04/08/17 - Tecmo Madison XIII: Return of the Mack

23 minutes ago, LincolnHawk said:

I've been watching previous tournament gameplay videos daily at work lol.  I feel like I have at least a decent understanding of the playbook, overall team strengths and weaknesses, and I'm a decent tapper. What I'm not as well versed on is the individual matchups as talked about above. The Atwater thing as well as the calculations aspect is what I need to work on the most imo. 

Here is one person's bit of advice on some of that stuff as well - focus on your stuff. Be good at your stuff first. If you like a set of plays, use that set of plays and know them in your sleep. I am not @bruddog, my knowledge was/is deep, but not that deep. What I always did was focus on my own game play - I could never out-know a player, but I could know exactly how every single team in the game played to my strengths. I like DBs on defense, so my knowledge of DBs is high, my knowledge of LBs is low. I love burner WRs on the bottom, so my playbooks reflect that - I only used 6 total running plays and 6 total passing plays. I know who I should be to fit my style with any team, and I also have a style (some would refer to it as 'extremely effing annoying' though my man brud plays an even more annoying version of it) that I spent time cultivating that works with my mentality. As a noob, you will benefit from playing your game, because if you're going to go out, go out on your terms, not playing someone else's style. 

The one other thing that can help from a comfort/matchup level is to pick a "tier" of teams and know them inside and out, while leaving the other teams for cursory understanding. If you choose a matchup, you have a go-to tier, if you are forced to choose a team, you at least have a basic understanding of which teams plays to your strengths. I lived in the 5th of the 6 "traditional" tiers. I loved playing in that tier because it fit my style and matchup preferences. Others prefer a different tier, but it at least gave me a safety blanket - when in doubt, choose something from the good tier. 

The tiers as I remember them are below - everyone will have differences and their own rankings/groupings so treat this is the most basic of basic groupings from tournament play:

Tier 0: AFC/NFC Pro Bowl, 49ers (49ers are alternatively banned or rarely used in tournament play so are put here)

Tier 1: Oilers, Bills, Giants

Tier 2: Eagles, Raiders, Bears

Tier 3: Miami, SD, Bengals, Chiefs

Tier 4: Steelers, Broncos, Rams, TB, Vikings, Lions, Skins

Tier 5: Falcons, Cowboys, Jets, Cardinals, Saints

Tier 6: Seahawks, Colts, Packers, Browns, Pats

28 minutes ago, qb_browns said:

The tiers as I remember them are below - everyone will have differences and their own rankings/groupings so treat this is the most basic of basic groupings from tournament play:

Tier 0: AFC/NFC Pro Bowl, 49ers (49ers are alternatively banned or rarely used in tournament play so are put here)

Tier 1: Oilers, Bills, Giants

Tier 2: Eagles, Raiders, Bears

Tier 3: Miami, SD, Bengals, Chiefs

Tier 4: Steelers, Broncos, Rams, TB, Vikings, Lions, Skins

Tier 5: Falcons, Cowboys, Jets, Cardinals, Saints

Tier 6: Seahawks, Colts, Packers, Browns, Pats

That's pretty close to the tiers I use at Tomczak Bowl. I've only got 5 tiers on this handy graphic. I've seen numerous folks at Madison with a copy of this on hand to help them.

TecmoTiers15.png

I consider myself a Top Tier WWF 80's Jobber on the Tecmo Circuit.  Think wrestlers like "The Genius" not tough but end up wrestling against the stars on occasion

ChcsrQR6tZly8.gif

So if you are coming to Madison for the 1st time and don't have the next month off to train 24/7 or attention span to read all of Morts Blog here are 3 Tips to lose gracefully.  (I love Mort's blog btw) 

1.  PLAYBOOK:  Stick to those few plays that everyone uses, don't get cute.  You may not know it, but there are so many run plays that can be blown up by even the worst linebacker.

2.  MATCH UPS:  Have 3 match ups you love - you don't need 10, you won't need them.  You need a basic fundamental knowledge of all teams in the game but if your opponent calls the match up it's probably going to be pretty even.

3.  QB BSD:  Get a high Pass Control QB and grind it out with scrambles for a few yards and chuck some Bombs.  

Currently what im doing is playing with the crappy teams as well as the mid tier teams most commonly found on the bruddog matchup list and keeping notes of why I like or dislike each team I'm playing with. 

What are your opinions about the coin toss? I was thinking about deferring most of the time but now I'm not so sure. One of the tecmo Madison videos I watched mentioned something about P2 not getting the same amount of lucky breaks or something to that affect. 

Also I'd rather pick two teams I really like vs letting someone else pick. I'm not exactly sure how I want to do it yet. 

Man people are getting pretty friendly around here!!  In my first Madison I didn't get any help!!  Even though you're in my group Lincoln, I think most of this information is solid and a big help.

My recommendation:  If you win the toss against me, call SEA-SF.  The game has a glitch that allows for SEA to get almost any fumble/INT against Joe Montana.  Truly strange.

15 minutes ago, LincolnHawk said:

Currently what im doing is playing with the crappy teams as well as the mid tier teams most commonly found on the bruddog matchup list and keeping notes of why I like or dislike each team I'm playing with. 

What are your opinions about the coin toss? I was thinking about deferring most of the time but now I'm not so sure. One of the tecmo Madison videos I watched mentioned something about P2 not getting the same amount of lucky breaks or something to that affect. 

Also I'd rather pick two teams I really like vs letting someone else pick. I'm not exactly sure how I want to do it yet. 

The p1 advantage is minimal. We could talk this stuff all day lol. In short, for fumble recoveries the code cycles thru p1 first (all 10 or 11) players then cycles to p2 but this happens very quickly. It's minimal. Worry about that later

3 minutes ago, Dotdon said:

Man people are getting pretty friendly around here!!  In my first Madison I didn't get any help!!  Even though you're in my group Lincoln, I think most of this information is solid and a big help.

My recommendation:  If you win the toss against me, call SEA-SF.  The game has a glitch that allows for SEA to get almost any fumble/INT against Joe Montana.  Truly strange.

Gotta become a teacher to be a better student.

And other deep fucking shit like that

Nesbians hidden stats. The 25int is missing a zero. He's 250int

Edited by OL' Dirty Tecmo

34 minutes ago, Dotdon said:

Drinking the Jaeger early today I see lol

3 hours ago, segathonsov said:

I consider myself a Top Tier WWF 80's Jobber on the Tecmo Circuit.  Think wrestlers like "The Genius" not tough but end up wrestling against the stars on occasion

ChcsrQR6tZly8.gif

So if you are coming to Madison for the 1st time and don't have the next month off to train 24/7 or attention span to read all of Morts Blog here are 3 Tips to lose gracefully.  (I love Mort's blog btw) 

1.  PLAYBOOK:  Stick to those few plays that everyone uses, don't get cute.  You may not know it, but there are so many run plays that can be blown up by even the worst linebacker.

2.  MATCH UPS:  Have 3 match ups you love - you don't need 10, you won't need them.  You need a basic fundamental knowledge of all teams in the game but if your opponent calls the match up it's probably going to be pretty even.

3.  QB BSD:  Get a high Pass Control QB and grind it out with scrambles for a few yards and chuck some Bombs.  

I consider myself a Tecmo enhancement talent Jobber can have other implications  Also Lanny Poffo was pretty awesome.

BTW I watched the stream and what with the PIT/HOU match was I was walking by and saw it was either Levi or Tim and I had talked to Regulator at Tecmo Milwaukee prior about odd matchups he likes and he mentioned he liked PIT in HOU/PIT so I figured I would help my buddy out and said Regulator you would choose PIT in a HOU/PIT matchup his ego forced him to say yes and he only won because of a blocked XP 27-28.  Other odd matchup calls i've seen were Gats Vs. TheKid DET/ATL called by Gats and when I played against TecmoBo Gats suggested Rams/Eagles and I had a 10 point lead in the 2nd half and the ball with the RAMS before I blew it in OT.

4 hours ago, buck said:

in my experience and opinion - that "tier graphic" two posts above, while "colorful", does not show good matchups and is misleading.

my advice to noobs is to not trust that tier graphic.

It is pretty though isn't it? 

I dont use it for my matchups. I was just saying I've talked to others who find it useful for a quick reference.

5 hours ago, LincolnHawk said:

Bruddog is right, you're better off choosing the matchup - but that should be of minimal concern to you. Also, the pages and pages bit about the coin toss is true and not a rabbit hole you would want to go down. 

A thing to try is to see why teams are a good matchup with each other. Bears-Raiders is a great example. That is a common matchup that people love to call (Bears-Bengals is another). Figure out why that is, which team you would prefer in that matchup, and what type of player would call it. 

All this advice is good, but let me offer something that's always helped me get through the day. First I wake up on Saturday morning hung over from enjoying Friday nights festivities. I then try to eat a little breakfast along with a white Russian for a little hair of the dog remedy. I then head to the venue where I usually drink my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd beer before I play my first game. After losing my first game I'm able to drink my 4th, 5th, and 6th beer before playing, and losing my second game. After I get eliminated I usually enjoy a fat ass cheeseburger with extra grease to help soak up some of the alcohol. I usually wash that down with some Crown Royal and Dr. Pepper. It's important to get that caffeine in you to keep that energy flowing. After I finish 3 or 4 mixed drinks I switch back to beer to help finish the gauntlet. As the night comes to a close I usually find some mexican joint that serves the biggest burritos known to man, and I smash it. I hope this information helps! 

Edited by T.Mann

47 minutes ago, T.Mann said:

All this advice is good, but let me offer something that's always helped me get through the day. First I wake up on Saturday morning hung over from enjoying Friday nights festivities. I then try to eat a little breakfast along with a white Russian for a little hair of the dog remedy. I then head to the venue where I usually drink my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd beer before I play my first game. After losing my first game I'm able to drink my 4th, 5th, and 6th beer before playing, and losing my second game. After I get eliminated I usually enjoy a fat ass cheeseburger with extra grease to help soak up some of the alcohol. I usually wash that down with some Crown Royal and Dr. Pepper. It's important to get that caffeine in you to keep that energy flowing. After I finish 3 or 4 mixed drinks I switch back to beer to help finish the gauntlet. As the night comes to a close I usually find some mexican joint that serves the biggest burritos known to man, and I smash it. I hope this information helps! 

Helpful, but with groups of 4 we wont be waiting around all day like usual between games...unless they have two groups play on one system.

edit:  and hopefully we dont have an overpriced bloody bar.  @davefmurray, can we get tecmo shot girls?  My fiance will be there, and probably hate every minute of it, atleast she can make back my losses.

Edited by CCase798

13 hours ago, T.Mann said:

This is sound advice.

13 hours ago, T.Mann said:

5 minutes ago, Super Duper said:

This is sound advice.

And don't try to go back to the hotel for a power nap with hopes to go back out later.  Those Hotel Beds are Sarlacc's and you won't be up until check out time the next day.

lXbT0uG.jpg

The best place for a burrito in Madison is Habaneros BY FAR. 

They are authentic and inexpensive. It's a hole in the way place on the east side. You can't even see it from the main road. I'm from the Madison area so I know a lot of the good spots like that. 

Edited by LincolnHawk

28 minutes ago, segathonsov said:

And don't try to go back to the hotel for a power nap with hopes to go back out later.  Those Hotel Beds are Sarlacc's and you won't be up until check out time the next day.

lXbT0uG.jpg

Yeah Sega reaches a point where he just gives up on life and goes to sleep.

Burritos are good but I really enjoy getting a gyro at that place across from the Plaza.