davefmurray

Madison, WI - 04/08/17 - Tecmo Madison XIII: Return of the Mack

19 hours ago, sonofpatbeach said:

Ooh, that second kid may have been a bad idea...

I should have amended that to: "I like some sleep every so often." 

Do I need to formally sign up for the hockey tourney Friday somewhere?  I said I was going on FB, but didn't know the protocol.  And I think my crew will have at least one NBA Jam team to add to the mix.   Somebody bring Joe Montana Football too so I can kick somebody's ass.

12 minutes ago, Dotdon said:

Do I need to formally sign up for the hockey tourney Friday somewhere?  I said I was going on FB, but didn't know the protocol.  And I think my crew will have at least one NBA Jam team to add to the mix.   Somebody bring Joe Montana Football too so I can kick somebody's ass.

No, there is nothing formal yet. The NBA Jam sign-up was more of a mockery so we could laugh at the names, but then lots of submissions started rolling in. I'll fire up a new thread with sign-ups for both.

I gotta say, I was very excited about wrecking this JAM Tournament with Legalize Kemp, but I wonder if the Tecmo Gods did not deliver us the Fields boys as a reminder that Friday Night in Madison is all about Street Tecmo. Shit got ramped up on that front today! Considering setting up my own #TrickEmDickEm bracket as well with the likes of @Coconuts, @red98sethuthut@toolie, and other fans of the underused Tecmo artform. Maybe @long dong chuck long wants in on this action

1 hour ago, qb_browns said:

lot of noobs making some noise on Facebook about being awesome - I expect the veterans to keep the young bucks in check this year. 

Yeah I was gonna say, the talk on FB has been fun reading lately.

5 hours ago, qb_browns said:

lot of noobs making some noise on Facebook about being awesome - I expect the veterans to keep the young bucks in check this year. 

All you had to do was ask. Sheesh. I'll try and put up 60 on someone then.

On 2/25/2017 at 4:20 PM, qb_browns said:

I don't understand why they would talk shit. That does nothing but put a target on your back. 

So I was practicing all weekend, I had a couple buddies over to help me play against man opponents. 

I must say I really like how you guys do the coin flip/choice of teams etc. It's pretty genius. 

I've been working on my playbooks and which teams I like etc...one question however... I noticed that MIA vs DEN isn't on Bruddog's list. I like that matchup a lot. Am I in the minority on that? 

32 minutes ago, LincolnHawk said:

I don't understand why they would talk shit. That does nothing but put a target on your back. 

So I was practicing all weekend, I had a couple buddies over to help me play against man opponents. 

I must say I really like how you guys do the coin flip/choice of teams etc. It's pretty genius. 

I've been working on my playbooks and which teams I like etc...one question however... I noticed that MIA vs DEN isn't on Bruddog's list. I like that matchup a lot. Am I in the minority on that? 

The problem with that matchup is that Marino can blindly throw against the weak DEN secondary without hardly a chance of throwing an INT. In an even matchup of skilled opponents the DEN team has little chance of winning without some help from Tecmo. 

Sometimes we see SD/MIA which I still think favors MIA but at least Dan has to at least think about where he's firing the laser. 

Edited by OL' Dirty Tecmo

11 minutes ago, LincolnHawk said:

That's what I was thinking but I wanted to make sure I was on the same page as you guys. 

One of the best things to study as a newer player is the PC+REC-INT odds. 

For example Dan throwing to Clayton against Atwater (all in average) is 69+69-31 has nearly a 50% chance of a completion and a 0% chance of an interception. You have better odds of them catching and insta-fumbling. Atwater is extreme, but the whole secondary pretty much sucks. 

That's why you have to choose wisely when you decide to be a 19INT LB against a superior passing team. Especially if you called a run play on defense. 

EDIT: A quick way of calculating is if you are close to 100 it's a very optimal advantage for the offense. If you are lower than 50 it is a very optimal advantage for the defense. And anything inbetween 50-100 is pretty much a toss up. I will rarely take deep shots if that number is less than 80. Like Wade Wilson throwing to Anthony Carter - Louis Oliver (44+75-56=63). Off the top of my head I wouldn't throw that ball unless I had to. Looking at the spreadsheet it's a 21% catch 13% interception throw. Add in the possibility of a JJ and your odds on offense get a tad better. All and all, I'm probably not throwing that ball unless I need a quick score. 

PC REC INT CALCULATOR.xls

Edited by OL' Dirty Tecmo

Shit like this is why those noobs will get hosed. That's why I am trying to do the research and think and play like you guys. Ya i can beat all of my buddies (I went like 42-1 over the weekend) but to play in actual tournaments it's much more about the calculations/matchups etc. The noobs can beat their friends but can they beat people that play like you guys do who take into consideration everything that the game is about?

Edited by LincolnHawk

52 minutes ago, LincolnHawk said:

Shit like this is why those noobs will get hosed. That's why I am trying to do the research and think and play like you guys. Ya i can beat all of my buddies (I went like 42-1 over the weekend) but to play in actual tournaments it's much more about the calculations/matchups etc. The noobs can beat their friends but can they beat people that play like you guys do who take into consideration everything that the game is about?

To paraphrase a rather un-famous quote I had in Polygon about the tournament: games are decided at the elite level in the margins: can you match up a burner WR against a low INT/slower DB? or get your high HP TE blocking a low HP DL to open a larger hole?

Part of this is experience - you just have to play against the upper level guys over and over again. Part of it is knowledge - the Holzbauers and I would recite secondaries with INT ratings on long drives to compare. Part of it is opponent research - you should have a cursory understanding of how some of the top guys play, a bunch of their games are on youtube by now. And part of it is self-research - trying playing your friends without tapping, or without calling a running play, or without doing X and see how you adapt. If your friends are not as good as you, take the worst team in horrific mismatches to generate the necessary skill difference. Read mort's blog. Go to tecmogeek.com. Use bruddog's matchup generator ROM if only to see what matchups look like since it takes historically called matchups. You get one month to get your sports training montage in, make it count. 

Edited by qb_browns
because i hate bad grammar

I'm probably more risk taking than diaz and might take a shot vs oliver if its one on one coverage.

Especially if i think someone is poor at covering them, or just to keep them from cheating up to the short wrs the whole game. 

Fast wrs are hard to stay right in

front of. 

Speed is even bigger factor in completing deep passes then reception in most cases (dont need to hold ball as long, harder for drones and man to stay in the right position) 

This is why you see people putting in fast Rb's at wr for end of half bombs. 

8 minutes ago, bruddog said:

Good advice by bailey. Handicap yourself to the point where the games are close. 

I wouldn't  call some of the matches in my matchup generator but it gives a pretty broad set of reasonable matchups. 

I was definitely doing that last weekend. I was rolling with Seattle, New England, Indy etc and I asked them to play as the top tier teams. 

Edited by LincolnHawk

I've been watching previous tournament gameplay videos daily at work lol.  I feel like I have at least a decent understanding of the playbook, overall team strengths and weaknesses, and I'm a decent tapper. What I'm not as well versed on is the individual matchups as talked about above. The Atwater thing as well as the calculations aspect is what I need to work on the most imo. 

After I signed up for the tournament I found out about this forum by googling "Best teams in Tecmo Super Bowl" which lead me to this thread:

Right away I could tell bruddog knew his shit and I've been using his tier list.