davefmurray

Madison, WI - 04/08/17 - Tecmo Madison XIII: Return of the Mack

629 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, T.Mann said:

If you ever decide to do regional qualifiers let me know. Bloomington Tecmo has the equipment, and the ability to host a big tournament. We've just always kept it local, but I'm not opposed to holding another event annually. We've been going strong since 2004 with an average of 32 players. This is without even advertising, and not doing cash prizes. This is just a beer drinking festival with everyone playing for the love of the game. Nobody takes it serious. I will still hold my local beer fest tournament, but having a big group come to Bloomington would be pretty cool. I'd even try to find a fall date that would not coincide with any other big tournaments. The main Bloomington tournament will always be held on the Saturday before the Super Bowl, and that will not change. Just keep us in mind in the future. Thanks!

Bloomington IL right?

I'm down if you guys have an open tourney.  Will be much more fun than working the hood there going door to door.

2 hours ago, mort1237 said:

Bloomington IL right?

I'm down if you guys have an open tourney.  Will be much more fun than working the hood there going door to door.

Yea throw me on a mailing list here too, not to far away.

Yes Bloomington, Illinois. I'll send you guys a message to get your email addresses to keep you guys up to date. I will also start my own thread at some point. I don't want to keep posting on this one because I'm not trying to draw everybody off topic from Tecmo Madison. Thanks Guys!

Something to share with the class because the complaints are rolling in. (3 today)

I need to repeat a Madison policy, which I agree with whole heartedly, is that complete noobs - the guys nobody has ever heard of, are assumed to be slightly better than the veteran absolute disasters.

The idea being - we know these guys are terrible and these guys know they're terrible too.

You need to look at the players above you as your threats. Not the players below you in your group. Your fears are misguided.

On 2/20/2017 at 3:19 PM, Beef Juice said:

To quote his shirt last year, There are only two types of tournaments. Ones that Regulator has won, and ones that don't matter.

So very, very true. 

4 minutes ago, davefmurray said:

Something to share with the class because the complaints are rolling in. (3 today)

I need to repeat a Madison policy, which I agree with whole heartedly, is that complete noobs - the guys nobody has ever heard of, are assumed to be slightly better than the veteran absolute disasters.

The idea being - we know these guys are terrible and these guys know they're terrible too.

You need to look at the players above you as your threats. Not the players below you in your group. Your fears are misguided.

What I do is I just try to take my hat and I turn it around, and it's like a switch that goes on. And when the switch goes on, I feel like another person. I feel, I don't know, I feel like a.... like a truck.  Like a machine. 

Shit, there's no one below me in my group so even if I wanted to worry about people ranked lower than me I couldn't do it.  Then again the world meets nobody halfway.... 

10 minutes ago, LincolnHawk said:

Shit, there's no one below me in my group so even if I wanted to worry about people ranked lower than me I couldn't do it.  Then again the world meets nobody halfway.... 

A guy was once in your position at Tecmo X - showed up, was a lower seed in his group, lost to two of the better players in the tournament. Came back in Tecmo XI, took advantage of some breaks, and advanced to the bracket play, again losing to one of the top guys in the tournament. Returned for his third go at Tecmo XII. had played well enough to earn a 2 seed in a group, squeaked through into single elim, and made one hell of a run before ultimately bowing out. 

From noob to runner up, Aaron Toner showed the world what happens when you take full advantage of every opportunity presented to you. 

Good luck man. 

Thanks fellas. I love that underdog type stuff. I play tecmo against a bunch of my buddies and kick all their asses, however I obviously don't know what their skill level is vs people in this tournament. I don't play online because I don't have the roms setup and frankly would rather play on the actual system in front of a TV. That's just how I roll. As a tournament n00b I would prefer to play higher caliber players, which is why I don't mind that I'm a 4 seed.  When you want something, you gotta take it.  If I hang with them and or win a game or two at least I know I'm capable of playing. If I get my ass handed to me, well then it's back to the drawing board to train more and work on strategies etc...

Edited by LincolnHawk

20 hours ago, davefmurray said:

Wait? So I need to look at all three as threats?  Switch me with the wifey, and than take her out 😅.  Shes never touched a controlled and was 2-3rd in her group. 😛.  But I get why more than likely.

23 hours ago, LincolnHawk said:

Thanks fellas. I love that underdog type stuff. I play tecmo against a bunch of my buddies and kick all their asses, however I obviously don't know what their skill level is vs people in this tournament. I don't play online because I don't have the roms setup and frankly would rather play on the actual system in front of a TV. That's just how I roll. As a tournament n00b I would prefer to play higher caliber players, which is why I don't mind that I'm a 4 seed.  When you want something, you gotta take it.  If I hang with them and or win a game or two at least I know I'm capable of playing. If I get my ass handed to me, well then it's back to the drawing board to train more and work on strategies etc...

At the very least you can begin collecting what I like to call "Quality losses." I've lost to plenty of the Tecmo legends at this point.

56 minutes ago, Beef Juice said:

At the very least you can begin collecting what I like to call "Quality losses." I've lost to plenty of the Tecmo legends at this point.

This is actually a truly good point. You lose to a regulator or gats or someone by 3 or so, that takes some skill (or luck, but at least some skill). That actually helps. 

28 minutes ago, qb_browns said:

This is actually a truly good point. You lose to a regulator or gats or someone by 3 or so, that takes some skill (or luck, but at least some skill). That actually helps. 

My personal favorite QL was losing 21-7 to @Tecmo Psycho the year he won it all. He got the third TD late in what was a very close game. I think it's the best I've ever played at Madison.

7 minutes ago, LincolnHawk said:

One last question about the tournament. Do people bring notes, or is that frowned upon? 

I took notes to 11, never used em though.  Started my notepad again, but once again, Im sure Captain will be the only note used.

3 hours ago, LincolnHawk said:

One last question about the tournament. Do people bring notes, or is that frowned upon? 

People bring notes. People bring lucky totems. People bring whatever they want. If you want to have a laminated card with every matchup you like on it, great. If you want to bring a small binder with every player listed, go for it. 

I mean, we get to chuckle about it, but we're also going to endlessly discuss it with you as well since everyone has an opinion on everything in Tecmo. 

Or you could buy @bruddog a beer and ask him stuff. Be prepared for answers way over your head though.

Or you could buy me or @davefmurray or @tecmoaz a drink of our choice and we can give you advice too - maybe even without the beverage. 

25 minutes ago, qb_browns said:

Or you could buy me or @davefmurray or @tecmoaz a drink of our choice and we can give you advice too - maybe even without the beverage. 

I always require beverage taxes.

5 hours ago, LincolnHawk said:

My first Tecmo (four years ago now), I took a binder with attributes for every team, and keep doing it. Soooooo many people know more than me, so a quick reference before I start a game on which defenders I should use or which OL are weak was (at least minimal) some help. I'll probably bring it again this year just because. I don't keep it away from others tough. If someone wants to peruse it (even my opponent), I'm fine with it.

Which reminds me, hey, group as a whole, should I bring a couple of buckets of large pretzel sticks again?

12 hours ago, qb_browns said:

People bring notes. People bring lucky totems.

My Totem last year...

16 hours ago, LincolnHawk said:

Totally. We have a breakdown of highlighted players per team by division here: http://tecmomadison.com/tecmo-super-bowl-top-players-per-team/ 

TecmoGeek.com has a breakdown of all teams as well as their own ratings.

NBA Jam: TE Teams:
The Pain Train: @davefmurray & @segathonsov
Rice & Rony: @sonofpatbeach & @Leonardite
The Female Canine Backhand Servers: @arncoem & @duecethasa1nt
Super Duper Beef Juice: @Beef Juice & @Super Duper
The Drunk & Lazy: @averagetsbplayer & @Child_of_Destiny
Team FoxRod: @tecmoaz & @Knobbe
No Use For A Name: @Ryan11p & @kevincabarello
Vlade Daw Dee, We likes 2 Potty: @JimSocks13 & @Woodshed 
Your Mom Likes Our Jam: @Tecmo_Ninja & Levi 
Trick 'Em Dick 'Em: @Mor1237 & @red98sethuthut

Hangtime Is Better: Tecmo Magnus & Justin

TBD: Odell & Jebigred

Slightly off-topic but needs to be said, it is now time to begin the yearly reminder:

IF YOU ARE NOT COMING, LET US KNOW RIGHT AWAY SO WE CAN ADJUST STUFF AND REWORK GROUPS

This year was a fairly difficult job just doing the initial grouping, each drop out causes some cascading changes and I like sleep.