The Pain Train: @davefmurray & @segathonsov
Rice & Rony: @sonofpatbeach & @Leonardite
The Female Canine Backhand Servers: @arncoem & @duecethasa1nt
Super Duper Beef Juice: @Beef Juice & @Super Duper
The Drunk & Lazy: @averagetsbplayer & @Child_of_Destiny
Team FoxRod: @tecmoaz & @Knobbe
No Use For A Name: @Ryan11p & @kevincabarello
Vlade Daw Dee, We likes 2 Potty: @JimSocks13 & @Woodshed

So the group winners and thats it?  Nothing like telling the people with the monsters in their groups they have almost 0% chance.

12 minutes ago, CCase798 said:

So the group winners and thats it?

What do you mean?

In previous tournaments, if you happened to be matched in a group of 8 with someone the caliber of Chet or regulator, you still had a chance to squeak in to the bracket by advancing from the loser's side of the group.

With this format, if you're in a group of 4 and matched with a Chet or Regulator, there's no chance to squeak in to the bracket. You're just gonna get stomped in the group final.

I think that's the general sentiment.

2 minutes ago, Neerrm said:

In previous tournaments, if you happened to be matched in a group of 8 with someone the caliber of Chet or regulator, you still had a chance to squeak in to the bracket by advancing from the loser's side of the group.

With this format, if you're in a group of 4 and matched with a Chet or Regulator, there's no chance to squeak in to the bracket. You're just gonna get stomped in the group final.

Going over statistics, it is more the hope of squeaking in. The squeakers have accounted for less than 5% of bracket entrants since the modern format. You are still guaranteed the same amount of games. You can still hold on to a wing, a prayer and Tecmo divine intervention to hope to squeak in. I'd be curious to know who holds this sentiment. I've seen two comments thus far, both of whom answered the survey that they are just here to have fun and they both have losing records in group play.

Just now, Beef Juice said:

I didn't watch the video. How do I determine who I play?

Click the link you just quoted. :D

LM11    

A    Nick Giordana (Gio)
B    Jake Ironside (beef juice)
C    Jason Kerley
D    Tyler Goad

There will be a more formal post on the site this week.

4 minutes ago, davefmurray said:

Click the link you just quoted. :D

LM11    

A    Nick Giordana (Gio)
B    Jake Ironside (beef juice)
C    Jason Kerley
D    Tyler Goad

There will be a more formal post on the site this week.

TABS! I'm an idiot. 

1 minute ago, Beef Juice said:

TABS! I'm an idiot. 

No worries. We are in for another small shuffle because @hoffnasty9 just got in off the wait list.

Also, made groups the first tab :D

28 minutes ago, Neerrm said:

Without getting *too* deep into the process, the groups of 4 change is baked in to the placements. Obviously, a newbie to Madison and Tecmo tournaments in general is more difficult to place - and we have quite a few of those - but generally we have a good feel for how everyone has previously done at various tournaments (h/t and thanks to the work of @sonofpatbeachand @averagetsbplayer with creating the database of players). 

For example, if you look at the B seeds in BB1, TP1, LM1, and HN1 those guys are either complete noobs or 0-lifetime at Madison. We're not out to crush the hopes of guys with competitive records in the tournament, far from it - this is the largest, deepest, and most talented field in memory. I look forward to a great tournament. 

And @Neerrm this isn't a response at you - this is for everyone, your quote was a good place to start. 

22 minutes ago, davefmurray said:

Going over statistics, it is more the hope of squeaking in. The squeakers have accounted for less than 5% of bracket entrants since the modern format. You are still guaranteed the same amount of games. You can still hold on to a wing, a prayer and Tecmo divine intervention to hope to squeak in. I'd be curious to know who holds this sentiment. I've seen two comments thus far, both of whom answered the survey that they are just here to have fun and they both have losing records in group play.

2 years ago some cool cat upset Tecmo Psycho in the 1st game but ended up not getting out of the rnd of 8.  Perhaps if he only had to beat one additional guy he could have made it out.  That's the year Psycho won it all. 

Just now, segathonsov said:

2 years ago some cool cat upset Tecmo Psycho in the 1st game but ended up not getting out of the rnd of 8.  Perhaps if he only had to beat one additional guy he could have made it out.  That's the year Psycho won it all. 

Everyone is one play away from beating Regulator, right? :D:D

1 minute ago, davefmurray said:

Everyone is one play away from beating Regulator, right? :D:D

The Tecmo Gods are powerful and not to be trifled with.... 

1 minute ago, segathonsov said:

The Tecmo Gods are powerful and not to be trifled with.... 

Stephanie-Tillman-WhatParty-024-450x484.

13 minutes ago, segathonsov said:

Hey I was in that group too! Aw memories...

51 minutes ago, Neerrm said:

Yea thats what I was saying.  I had chet in my bracket in 9, but was way over my head anyways.  In 10, I was one pass from winning my bracket, and than got destroyed by orenga in the losers finals.  I understand with the field expansion were going to be under time restraints, but seems like a little bit of a lucky factor may be taken out for those with a top-10 player in their group.

I'm the group with dotdon. Dave, would you be able to add my username to my real name on the spreadsheet? I completely understand why I am #4 seed and I like the fact you have to win out of your group to make it. Even though I've played TSB since I was a kid and have been practicing every day since I signed up for XIII, I certainly realize being a n00b that I'm going to have to work my way up, and honestly I wouldn't have it any other way. Imagine the story line if some #4 seed makes it out of group play and makes a deep run. 

3 minutes ago, LincolnHawk said:

I'm the group with dotdon. Dave, would you be able to add my username to my real name on the spreadsheet? I completely understand why I am #4 seed and I like the fact you have to win out of your group to make it. Even though I've played TSB since I was a kid and have been practicing every day since I signed up for XIII, I certainly realize being a n00b that I'm going to have to work my way up, and honestly I wouldn't have it any other way. Imagine the story line if some #4 seed makes it out of group play and makes a deep run. 

Just start feeding dotdon shots early and often. You'll be fine.

8 minutes ago, CCase798 said:

Yea thats what I was saying.  I had chet in my bracket in 9, but was way over my head anyways.  In 10, I was one pass from winning my bracket, and than got destroyed by orenga in the losers finals.  I understand with the field expansion were going to be under time restraints, but seems like a little bit of a lucky factor may be taken out for those with a top-10 player in their group.

True, but a major factor isn't being discussed here. You would have two powerhouses in your group of 8 this year anyways. 1-16(19) across the board = super strong. Group of 4 or 8 really doesn't matter because it wouldn't be any easier.

7 minutes ago, Beef Juice said:

Just start feeding dotdon shots early and often. You'll be fine.

What's your drink of choice dotdon? 

Just now, LincolnHawk said:

What's your drink of choice dotdon? 

paging @Dotdon

Song idea (sorry I'm posting from my phone bc my work has this site blocked for some reason):  Bone Thugs and 2Pac - Thug Luv. 

Any chance that one day we will just have the top 8 or 16 start in the bracket?

I would find it interesting cause there are no warm up games for elite players and it will give newer players a better shot at the bracket.