3-4 Defense

Hey guys I normally play nickel defense when I use a team that features a 3-4 scheme. Well I'm tired of getting gashed 

Against the run. So I'm trying to use the 3-4 like I did many moons ago but I forgot how to use it effectively. I have tried to shoot the gap with one of my linebackers 

But having no luck it's nothing like a 4-3 or getting through with one of my nickel linebackers. Do I run in behind the nose tackle with my Rilb or my Lilb? If that's the case it isn't working. Any help would be appreciated!

Hey Tecmoalpha!

Gonna tell you. There´s 4 or 5, 3-4 DEF in the game.

I think that for a good 3-4 DEF you need at least one LB that can accelerate and that one should be placed as OLB, just to try rush the QB or go after a RB in an open run.

The ILB's should be strong to stop the run, the DL is really busy against the OL, so your ILB's should do the job. If they dont accelerate that much it´s not important, the important thing is to tackle the RB's. (Have Hitting Power)

I prefer to shot and rush the QB with my OLB's, because I love blitzing, but sometimes the RB's find a hole and get 30 or 40 yards. If I see the RB is so capable, I prefer to take my ILB's for 1st and 2nd down and OLB in 3rd down.

Greetings!

I find shooting the gap easiest in Dime formation... but really, this depends largely on the playbook of your opponent. The gaps shift from formation to formation and are different on runs and passes and play action, etc...

There are so many factors that learning to do it, from team to team and at different sets can be a trial... and I find that the more you try using other teams and players, it can impact your timing and make doing this tougher.

Using the Top OLB slot in a 3-4 can be very effective because you can often run right past the OL... Though in a one set backfield, the FB slot player can get in the way.

I don't know that this really covers what you're asking, but I think the question you're asking has a ton of variables making a universal answer difficult.

Very True tec...and thanx to you and fernando for insight..all I was wanting was opinions on how to use the 3-4 base package I really hate that d..so if I use a team with 3-4 I just use nickel the whole game...I can use them all and know effective ways ( base 4-3..nickel dime and goaline it's just the 3-4 isn't as easy to use in this game compared to the original tsb...I will try using the top linebacker as u say...gotta try something as I can win with 3-4 I just never get to qb..can't get pressure using that base package...almost as if I'm never in on any tackles...so my cpu teammates like to watch in awe as we're getting run over or passed on alot...