Sign in to follow this  
PockyCandy

Classic Tailback Highlights

On 8/13/2017 at 7:42 PM, PockyCandy said:

Thurman Thomas has to be the best tailback that no one ever talks about. 

Not really my style of runner, but I'd definitley have him on my team as a 'slotback', or on my fantasy team as my 'flex'.......his ability to catch boosts his skill level above many other elite runners because of that alone...plus, he was always on GREAT teams...but I'm not taking anything away from his running ability, because he was very good.  Hell, he started over Barry Sanders for a year or two at Oklahoma State if my memory serves me correctly.

^^^Walmart version???  Not quite.  Barry wasn't 250+ pounds and didn't run over anybody.........but yes, they're running styles are very similar.  He was one of my favorite players to watch back then.....He had a game in the Peachbowl in 90' where he went for over 200 yards and like 3 or 4 scores.....I'll never forget that.  A great player who seemed too big to have agility like that.......but he DID.

(p.s.  I just noticed that you had some highlights from that Peachbowl game at the end of the film!!! That took me back...great vid!) 

Edited by ~Tailback King~

2 hours ago, PockyCandy said:

@buck I know that you've been asking for this video for a long time. 

Dude...Dude oj is easily top 5 running back of all time. As far as pure running back, maybe the best.  Best of the 1970s for sure.  

I think his ypg the 1973 season is still the most to this day for full season, like +130 ypg.

what is your assessment of oj, pocky? Speaking purely in football terms of course!

Thanks for this. Love it. You're really kicking ass, pocky.

Edited by buck

42 minutes ago, buck said:

what is your assessment of oj, pocky? Speaking purely in football terms of course!

Thanks for this. Love it. You're really kicking ass, pocky.

He was probably in the top 3 most graceful backs I've seen, along with Eric Dickerson and Marcus Allen. He was decisive when he ran and didn't dance around a whole lot. His ability to cut back against the grain was exceptional. This was usually shown whenever USC would run their patented draw play. He obviously had amazing stamina and durability, since he would get 35 carries a game and he didn't get injured.  I thought that sometimes OJ would go down just a tad bit too easily, but that may've had to do with his workload. If he knew he was getting 30+ carries every game, then he probably wanted to pace himself whenever possible. Of course he had freakish speed, but I think that everyone already knew that. If he got into the open field, it was lights out for the defense. His pass-catching ability was decent but nothing to write home about, since he had his share of drops despite not being targeted often. 

Was that a good enough write-up?

He's not a "Classic Tailback" by any stretch, but he is the probably the most exciting player in football right now. And after releasing OJ Simpson and Lawrence Phillips videos, it's not like I can say that I only make videos of saints. 

@buck @davefmurray @Knobbe @Mike Gordan @~Tailback King~

I worked way too long on this, so I'm tagging all of you guys so the maximum amount of people will watch this. Since this is my second Herschel Walker video, here's some more observations after getting another chance to watch him:

0: This contains highlights from his 1985 season only, since 17 of the 18 games from that year were available. Thus, you can see the improvement he made from game to game. 

1: He would've been the GOAT runner if he had just slightly above-average lateral agility. While his cutting ability did get better as the season went on, he still was so damn stiff when he ran. There were several times when he could've gotten more yardage if Walker was just a little bit more nimble. 

2: He was still able to dominate though, because Walker was supremely gifted in every other physical attribute. He was the fastest HB in football, could accelerate like nobody's business, had LeBron-esque hops, and was as strong as Earl Campbell. Once he got a full head of steam, he was guaranteed to get at least 3 more yards after a tackle because he could drive the defender back for a while. 

3: Walker was also really ****ing good at picking up blitzes and pass blocking, and was probably the General's best receiver too. So when I say that Walker's only weakness was his inability to change direction, I'm not joking. The guy had everything else you could possibly want. 

4: I have to wonder what kind of stats Walker would've gotten if he had been allowed to join the NFL after his junior season at Georgia, and hadn't spent 3 years and 1000 carries in the USFL. Maybe he's seen as one of the truly great running-backs in football history if he starts in the NFL? The guy was physically ready from the get go. 

5: The quality of play didn't seem to be much worse than the NFL, tbh. Do any of you guys want to chime in on the quality of play in the USFL?

6: Doug Flutie was like a more run-happy and frantic Russell Wilson. He was exciting to watch. 

More USFL games can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheUSFL2014

Edited by PockyCandy

15 minutes ago, PockyCandy said:

I usually wait to list it at around 8:00 PM to maximize the amount of views I get on it. But I figured that you guys should see it a little bit earlier. 

Did you find that time by trial and error or some other way?

1 hour ago, Knobbe said:

Did you find that time by trial and error or some other way?

Trial and error. I used to upload my videos in the morning before classes, and rarely got any views on them. Then, one day, I forgot to upload a video till 8:00 PM (eastern time), and to my surprise, it got many more views. I started uploading at that time, and my videos suddenly started to get more and more views. What I realized was that a lot of people watch youtube later in the day after they get home from work or school. If they're subscribed to a lot of channels, then my video would be buried underneath other stuff if I uploaded it early in the day. But if I upload it at night, then when people log onto youtube, my video is the first thing in their "new videos" catalog. And then the people who do watch it early in the morning (or are overseas), my video is also still near the top. If a new video has 400 views rather than 100 views, those morning people are more inclined to watch it too. 

Oh, and @buck, the video is 20 minutes long, but it's all good stuff. I cut out a lot of "fat" from this video, and only the absolute best plays were included. I know that you're not a fan of super-long videos and I had that in mind when making this video. 

I also decided to throw some fantastic instrumental 80's music in there too, because I thought that it would fit the video :) 

Edited by PockyCandy

34 minutes ago, PockyCandy said:

Oh, and @buck, the video is 20 minutes long, but it's all good stuff. I cut out a lot of "fat" from this video, and only the absolute best plays were included. I know that you're not a fan of super-long videos and I had that in mind when making this video. 

I also decided to throw some fantastic instrumental 80's music in there too, because I thought that it would fit the video :) 

good vid, man.  thanks for posting and all the hard work.  you make youtube a great place.

Havn't had the time to watch more than 4 minutes of this 'H. WALKER' vid, but the man was a BEAST, and one of my all time faves.  (plus the rare TECMO hidden stat attribute that he shares with only a couple other guys in the game put him 'over the top' as far as Legends go)

On 11/1/2017 at 10:14 PM, PockyCandy said:

I'll write my full thoughts later, but here's another high-quality, but very long, video of a college legend. The plays themselves are all really good, but I may've included too many replays. 

Dude GREAT vid. Rocket was one of the best college players during the "golden age" of football.

You just knew he was going to make something happen.

I loved that he lined up all over the field. I remember watching as a kid never having seen someone do that before. Do you remember all the frenzy when he signed that huge CFL contract? I remember reading about in the paper every morning along with the NBA box scores. 

Man, newspapers. What a thing of the past now. lol

2 hours ago, davefmurray said:

Dude, my 5yo asked to watch Bo Jackson just now. I search "Bo Jackson highlights" in Youtube search and your Auburn video was the first video with like 60k views! Dang son! 2.2k subs? Nice job!

Thanks, and I hope that your son liked the highlight video!