Sign in to follow this  
Maynard_G_Krebs

MGK's Videogames Thread

I'd rate Doom and Mad Max just like you did.  Doom was fun at first but I just didn't have the desire to stay with it, once the fast pace coolness wore off (and lack of multiplayer).  Mad Max was great but I put it down and moved on to other titles as well.

I've been playing a ton of Modern Warfare Remastered (comes with Call of Duty Infinite Warfare "Legacy Edition")--  multiplayer is a blast.  Not only nostalgic but they've made some improvements such as a plethora of obtainable weapon camo's.  I'd give that one 4 out of 5 based on the multiplayer alone.  Infinite Warfare however is not good.  Maybe 2 out of 5 for that title.

I also bought the game "Battleborn" for Xbox One since I found it on sale for around $6!  Haven't tried it just yet...

I'm pretty sure I'm getting Horizon: Zero Dawn for Father's Day and really looking forward to that one...  It's on sale this week for $39.99.

I picked it up on Sale for the same price recently. Haven't checked it out, but from the videos, definitely looks lighthearted and Harvest Moon-y. Might be the kind of game that would go well with the Winter season, to combat the seasonal depression. ;)

On 6/26/2017 at 9:33 PM, meat said:

Snes mini announced today 

Yeah, saw that this past week.  I'm not pleased with the $80 retail price point, or the fact that if it's like the NES mini there will be a major shortage in product (making it way more expensive than that even).

Been playing some Dying Light after it went on sale a few weeks ago. From the makers of Dead Island.

I'll keep this brief, but Dying Light is, hands down, the best action-simulation of a zombie apocalypse that I've ever played. The controls are good, the graphics are good, the environments are solid. It's just an overall solid experience that I definitely recommend. It feels much more like a sandbox game than Dead Island does. Sometimes I find myself getting lost just trying to explore creative ways to take out groups of zombies.

Solid, solid game. 4 yaks out of 5.

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

I've been keeping my ear to the railroad tracks for trends in the videogame industry, and I don't like what I see as an inevitability at this point. I'm happy that I picked up a console in this generation, because future games are literally being delayed just so that developers can add various free-to-play mechanics in them to maximize their profits. This will be the last console generation to feature mostly non-F2P mechanics like random loot boxes, gameplay enhancements, and etc. features that you essentially have to pay to unlock with in-game currency (which equates to real currency, ultimately), and are the bane of my existence. They used to be mostly relegated to mobile games, but the trend is sweeping across console game development. Sooner than later, F2P mechanics will be in the majority of games, which is when I'll eventually duck back out of gaming as a whole.

Dark, capitalist clouds are on the horizon for the console gamers. Be afraid.

On 7/31/2017 at 1:55 PM, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Been playing some Dying Light after it went on sale a few weeks ago. From the makers of Dead Island.

I'll keep this brief, but Dying Light is, hands down, the best action-simulation of a zombie apocalypse that I've ever played. The controls are good, the graphics are good, the environments are solid. It's just an overall solid experience that I definitely recommend. It feels much more like a sandbox game than Dead Island does. Sometimes I find myself getting lost just trying to explore creative ways to take out groups of zombies.

Solid, solid game. 4 yaks out of 5.

I wanted to like Dying Light, I enjoyed it at first...  but it lost me since it was more of a running/jumping "parkour" game than a survival horror game in my opinion.  I'd still give it a 3 out of 5.

Has anyone played "The Surge" which is supposed to be a futuristic Dark Souls clone?  I'm thinking of picking it up soon (on sale).  Also I managed to get Horizon Zero Dawn for cheap recently but haven't yet had time to play it...  Supposedly it is awesome.

As I download the just-released Madden 18,000,000, let's take a look at the year-end results. I only play Online 1x1. None of that MUT shit.

Record: 181 wins - 168 losses

Average Points For: 15.77

Average Points Against: 16.57

Total Points Scored: 6195

Average Final Score Differential: -0.79

Default Playbook Use: 100% (Patriots, obv.)

Run Play Calling: 28%

Pass Play Calling: 66%

Shotgun Plays: 53%

Blitz Plays: 19%

Average Unique Plays Called on OFF: 19.54

Average Unique Plays Called on DEF: 16.39

Average Preplay Adj. Per Play on OFF: 0.83

Averagr Preplay Adj. Per Play on DEF: 1.57

Hot Routed Plays: 48%

Audible Plays: 13%

No Huddle: 8%

QB Scramble: 0%

4th Down Punt: 29%

Avg. Onside Kicks Called: 0.05

Avg. Number of Blocked Kicks: 0.02

Avg. Yards Per Game Offense: 210.22

Avg. Yards Allowed Defense: 279.92

My year in review thoughts on this past year's version of Madden 17: 

I liked every change they made to the game, at least, to the game modes and mechanics that I interact with, and that's a little bit of Franchise mode, and Online 1x1 for the majority of the time.

The only thing that I don't like in what they changed in 17 from 16 is the ways players make big hits. It's so soft now. Like, I can't understate how different it is. Madden 16 feels like a car wreck in comparison. Big hits, and tackling in general, is as explosive and responsive as two wet sacks of potatoes colliding into one another. I'd bet a year's salary that 'toning down' on these kind of elements comes at the direct behest of the NFL. The partial feature influence is likely a reason the NFL keeps its mostly exclusive relationship with EA going. 

Madden is fun as hell, though. I don't understand why people shit on this game. It's good. I'm sure EA would be a little bit more engaged if they had competition in this space, but even so, it's a good football game.

LOL. I've been playing this new Madden for a couple of hours, and I can confirm for you that outside of the new "story" mode, there is basically nothing new in this version.

Everything has been tweaked a bit. It's all an inch forward for the better. 

It's running on a new engine, and I can confirm that it's more fluid because of it, both on field and in the UI, which is basically exactly the same UI as last year.

LOL. I expect EA to do shit like this, but even this is pretty hilarious. Enjoy your roster update and 4-hour story mode to everyone who picks this up.

Hahahaha.

6 minutes ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

LOL. I've been playing this new Madden for a couple of hours, and I can confirm for you that outside of the new "story" mode, there is basically nothing new in this version.

Everything has been tweaked a bit. It's all an inch forward for the better. 

It's running on a new engine, and I can confirm that it's more fluid because of it, both on field and in the UI, which is basically exactly the same UI as last year.

LOL. I expect EA to do shit like this, but even this is pretty hilarious. Enjoy your roster update and 4-hour story mode to everyone who picks this up.

Hahahaha.

Yeah I really hate how Madden is typically just a ROSTER UPDATE.  Same with many other sports games...  Ugh.

Lolz. I played through a couple hours of the story mode in the new Madden. It's like a bad TellTale trash ripoff. This new version of Madden is grotesque. 

I mean, sure, I'll pay for the online game and the next year's worth of updates because I love football, but as a person who plays video games, this shit is garbage. 

1 hour ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Lolz. I played through a couple hours of the story mode in the new Madden. It's like a bad TellTale trash ripoff. This new version of Madden is grotesque. 

I mean, sure, I'll pay for the online game and the next year's worth of updates because I love football, but as a person who plays video games, this shit is garbage. 

I haven't bought a new football game since 2014. With that in mind, is there enough difference between this game and a game from 4 years ago to warrant a purchase?

If you're talking about Madden, I'd say no. I'm pretty finicky when it comes to details in games, so there's enough differences for me to warrant an upgrade if I hadn't purchased a recent football game. For the average gamer, no. 

The differences between this this year and last year are marginal to say the least. The one feature I've seen that is a noteworthy addition is going into no-huddle mode and being given a screen to select from three different plays, as opposed to no-huddle automatically going with your last play call.

From four years ago, I'd say they've added several gameplay features. In 2016 they added a ton of WR mechanics catch mechanics. Last year, they upgraded defense CPU logic. This year's iteration contains the least amount of actual gameplay tweaks that I've seen yet. But it still contains all of the stuff from earlier, so that's a plus for someone that hasn't purchased a new version in 4 years.

The game is also running on a new engine, so everything is a little bit smoother.

Been reading more and more about the major game industries moving towards 'Games as a Service' models, which up until recently has just really been code for F2P monetization schemes. Some companies are actually diving deeper, and in some of these types of games, they're looking to use blockchain technology to create reward structures for services yielded by players. Imagine this back in 1991 playing Super Mario Brothers 3.

I guess my point is in reference to something I said above: that if you enjoy video games, and enjoy closed boxed games intended for individual consumption, instead of this crazy Games as a Lifestyle Matrix approach to intended consumption of your time, now's the time to buy this generation of game console, because I truly believe we've reached the bubble of how Triple-A games are produced. The risk far exceeds the rewards for the majority of these developers, and Games as a Service is the only way many of them are going to survive the longterm, which means that most of these games are going to suggest you isolate your play into a specific time investment, as opposed to playing a bunch of different games for the pleasure of variety.

When shareholders don't have a Fallout 4 to bank on, they're going to pressure studios to turn out more Games as a Service models, and then it turns into catering to niche subgroups willing to invest real capital into their chosen genre. Busted.

The Indy developers are going to be the only source for single serving games eventually, outside of the few developers willing to invest the $200-$300+ million budget 10 years from now. 

I truly believe this is console gaming's final generation that has a spirit connected to 8-bit NES.

RIP.