Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maynard_G_Krebs

MGK's Videogames Thread

126 posts in this topic

On August 26, 2016 at 6:18 PM, buck said:

I missed that one, too.  I'm gonna go buy it tonight, I think.

Madden 17 Update:

I'm currently ranked in the top 8% for online head to head. I was in the top 5% two days ago, so that goes to show you how quickly things can change this early on in Madden 17's release.

I think the game mechanic changes in this year's version are for the better on the whole. But there are some things I don't like or that I miss about last year's version.

1. I don't like how this year there are way more ball tips on throws. Ball tips, players straight up not catching a pass (I couldn't buy Blount a reception if I tried), balls being batted out of a reception, etc.. There is a noticeable difference from last year's Madden 16. 

Now the reverse is that I appreciate the new pieces of game mechanics that create these situations. I think the added incompletition mechanics are great. I just think they need to tone down the frequency.

2. Players definitely 'skate' less across the field. If you're someone who has always felt that the character models in Madden were ice skating around the field, they have definitely taken a step to address that here with the physics of the player models. It's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction.

Adversely, the change in physics creates as many strange looking tackles and route collisions as much as they create interesting ones.

3. CPU A.I. is better on the whole.

4. I miss the big hit tackle collisions in both model animations and sound effects of last year. They've clearly made a purposeful attempt to tone down the visceral nature of their game. I would stake a month of my salary on the NFL making that request.

5. QBs fumble a f*ck load more in this game. Not just when they're running with the ball, but as they're just about to throw. It's like last year's version was covered by the tuck rule in comparison to this year's game.

6. The Defensive CPU route logic is noticeably more adaptive. Way smarter.

Overall, Madden 17 is a better game, but I do miss aspects of last year's version.

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

8 minutes ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

5. QBs fumble a f*ck load more in this game. Not just when they're running with the ball, but as they're just about to throw. It's like last year's version was covered by the tuck rule in comparison to this year's game.

Overall, Madden 17 is a better game, but I do miss aspects of last year's version.

5.Finally......

And nice work. 

There's a song that plays in RDR when you go to Mexico the first time I believe. And if you pause to the menu the music track gets interrupted and you don't get to hear it, or something like that, so I missed it the first time. But I chanced to replay the game and it really caught me by surprise, i was staggered! Epic game. But it makes me motion sick like no other game I've played.

Over the past two nights, my brother who lives in Washington state and I have been playing Zombie Army Trilogy's campaign online in co-op and holy shit, was it a blast. We beat the game last night, and it was so much fun. Nazi zombies? Check. Zombie Hitler? Check. Massive explosions, hellish environments, thousands of zombies to headshot all in an effort to stop Nazi Hitler's master plan? Sign me up.

Back in the day, my biggest complaint about games was that there weren't enough campaign co-op modes. Now-a-days, there are so many memorable options. Websites like co-optimus make finding options even easier.

Zombie Army Trilogy allows for 4-player seemless drop-in and drop-out co-op play. It was probably one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had in its contained campaign story mode. I'm a sucker for zombies, though. Highly recommended.

My brother and I did the little trick, too, where I set his Xbox One as my 'home console,' which allows him to download all of the games I've bought, and play them with me for free. It's pretty incredible.

Modern gaming is absurdly fun. I'll remember last night with greater fondness than most any night I've spent at a bar.

I'm currently  wrapping up (I've been saying this for over a week) Darkest Dungeon on my PS4 / Vita, and really having a blast. It's originally a Kickstarter / Steam game I think, so I just wanted to put it out there that if you enjoy some old school turn based RPG, this game might be worth checking out. The plot is there, but pretty background. The visuals are pretty cool, you can tell the artists take a lot of inspiration from Mike Mignola (Hellboy) as does the Lovecrafian plot elements. It's hard as nails, but really kinda simple ultimately, once you kinda get your feet under you. Anyway, check it out: 

On 10/9/2016 at 2:24 PM, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Zombie Army Trilogy allows for 4-player seemless drop-in and drop-out co-op play. It was probably one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had in its contained campaign story mode. I'm a sucker for zombies, though. Highly recommended.

My brother and I did the little trick, too, where I set his Xbox One as my 'home console,' which allows him to download all of the games I've bought, and play them with me for free. It's pretty incredible.

Would the game be fun solo as well?  It's on PS store right now for $14.99 on sale...  I picked up 2 other games (Zombi and Arcania) for less than 3 bucks each during the same sale!

Also good to know about Xbox One, I never knew you could do that trick...  Might come in handy as I have 2 family members with Xbox One that don't buy all the games I do.

On 10/9/2016 at 2:24 PM, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Over the past two nights, my brother who lives in Washington state and I have been playing Zombie Army Trilogy's campaign online in co-op and holy shit, was it a blast. We beat the game last night, and it was so much fun. Nazi zombies? Check. Zombie Hitler? Check. Massive explosions, hellish environments, thousands of zombies to headshot all in an effort to stop Nazi Hitler's master plan? Sign me up.

Back in the day, my biggest complaint about games was that there weren't enough campaign co-op modes. Now-a-days, there are so many memorable options. Websites like co-optimus make finding options even easier.

Modern gaming is absurdly fun. I'll remember last night with greater fondness than most any night I've spent at a bar.

You can game share on ps3 also.

Some quick thoughts on some other games I've given some time to.

Just Cause 3 - Terrible framerate. I knew that going in, but I was shocked at just how bad it is. The physics of the game are absurdly cool. Everything explodes and crumbles with great satisfaction. The character mechanics feel a little light in how they interact with the world and each other. Gun play feels a little light. Overall, could have been a fun game, but the frame rate issues suck all of the joy out of playing it. Why they didn't patch his game and tone down the visual elements that cause it to drop is beyond me. The setting bores me a little, too, gotta be honest. Liberating some small shack villages in some remote Mexican or Columbian or what have you fictional environment (please excuse my geographical ignorance about where the game takes place)--nope. I just don't care. The grapple hook is just silly, too, by the way.

Wolfenstein The New Blood - Pound for pound it could be the best straight-up FPS game I've played on my Xbox One. Mind you, I have not played Doom, but ain't nothing that feels better than blasting Nazis. This is a classic style of FPS. No open world. Just stage after stage of killing nazis of various incarnations. Most stages allow you to either take a stealthy tactic, or blast away, which I appreciate. Silky smooth 60 frames per second. Fantastic level design, brimming with character. Only marks against it, as far as I'm concerned, is that there isn't any multiplayer co-op. Definitely recommended.

Assassin's Creed: Black Flag - This game sells for $2.99. It was developed by, no lie, over 1000 people. Crazy. Anyway, I picked this AC game up, specifically, because it's focus was on being a pirate. Who the fuck doesn't want to play a pirate/assassin game? Solid game. Lots to do. Maybe even too much. It was $2.99, though, so seriously, how can you go wrong? You're a fucking pirate! You sail a ship, have ocean fights, board other vessels after blasting them with your cannons, and then cut a bunch of people up. You sail to islands and assassinate people, search for treasure, hunt whales--I mean, seriously. You're a fucking pirate! It's like a pirate simulator. Recommended.

Dead Rising 3 - Guy makes weapons and vehicles, you kill and endless spree of zombies. Allows for drop-in/drop-out co-op. How can you go wrong? The sheer volume of zombies on the screen at any one time is enough to make me chuckle every time. They're slow and dumb and you slaughter them. Hundred of them, in brilliant, gory fashion. I've read reviews on this game where a single play through, you'll wind up killing about 25,000 zombies. Get in a car and mow down 100 of'em. Definitely Recommended.

Dead Island - Remastered Version. Fun game. I would enjoy it so much more if the CPU zombies didn't raise their level in accordance with when you as a player level up. I mean, what's the fucking point of putting in time to become a badass zombie slayer if the CPU zombies always match you no matter what? That's some cheap bullshit, right there. Reminds of me of the computer assistance nonsense of NBA Jam games, or F-Zero. Duck computer assistance. It was fun while it lasted, but once I realized the CPU was going to keep cheating to match me at my level, I gave up on it.

I know there are way more current games to be played, but in the sales climate that we're in now, unless you have a severe hankering to play a particular game, you'd have to be a nitwit to buy games at release value these days. Not only do they drop in price by about 50% in six months (most anyway), but there's just so much available for so cheap.

I never played Skyrim and I'm curious about the recent Special Edition release, but Bethesda can go fuck themselves if they think I'm dropping $60 on a game that came out five years ago, no matter how good it might be.

Side note, the amount of zombie games that exist in this world is ridiculous. They're like their own genre. Crazy.

4 hours ago, rmm1976 said:

Would the game be fun solo as well?  It's on PS store right now for $14.99 on sale...  I picked up 2 other games (Zombi and Arcania) for less than 3 bucks each during the same sale!

Also good to know about Xbox One, I never knew you could do that trick...  Might come in handy as I have 2 family members with Xbox One that don't buy all the games I do.

I'm sure you'd find some enjoyment in it, but the co-op multiplayer really made the experience for me. The game has great level design, and the combat is fun, but it lacks the bells and whistles to make a great single player experience, IMO. I'd rather play a game like Wolfenstein than Zomby Army Trilogy if it's just me playing it, as it was designed for a single player campaign. Have a friend or three? Then yes, definitely. Brilliantly fun multi-player game.

Some backwards compatible Xbox 360 games that I've played recently:

I Am Alive - Interesting survival game about a guy in a post apocalyptic city searching for his girlfriend (?) and their kid. Not too far into it, but an interesting game that is worth the look. Reminds me of Prince of Persia/Tomb Raider in that the game is all about figuring out ways to traverse different landscapes, all the while having to be mindful about your endurance and whatnot. Some cool mechanics with how you interact with other survivors, in that you can hold then at bay with an empty gun if they only have a bat, trick them into letting you pass without firing a bullet, or find some other ways to avoid contact, or fight them. I think a modern version of this game could be really good, as it is, I recommend it just for the sake that it's successful in trying to be different. Interesting low contrast black and white-ish aesthetic. This is not a zombie game, by the way. ;)

Dungeon Siege 3 - I thought this would be a playable co-op action RPG. I was wrong.

12 hours ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

I never played Skyrim and I'm curious about the recent Special Edition release, but Bethesda can go fuck themselves if they think I'm dropping $60 on a game that came out five years ago, no matter how good it might be.

Side note, the amount of zombie games that exist in this world is ridiculous. They're like their own genre. Crazy.

I'm with you 110% on both points!!  I never played Skyrim either, but am going to wait for a price drop.

The zombie games AND tv/movies have taken over the world (pun intended)!!!

On 11/2/2016 at 0:17 PM, rmm1976 said:

I'm with you 110% on both points!!  I never played Skyrim either, but am going to wait for a price drop.

The zombie games AND tv/movies have taken over the world (pun intended)!!!

I'm such a weak f*ck. So, this past weekend I started searching around for early Black Friday notices, cross-referencing them with upcoming calendar release dates for videogames. What I realized is that this upcoming holiday season is going to 100% be about pushing consoles off the shelves. The upcoming release calendar for games is total shit. Like, TOTAL shit. 

Maybe Dishonored 2 might be good.

Maybe Dead Rising 4 might be good.

Maybe Watch Dogs 2 might be good.

Maybe Resident Evil 7 might be good--when it comes out at the end of JANUARY...

I don't even care if Final Fantasy #47,583 is good, because modern JRPGs make me want to stab out my own eyeballs.

Now let's break this down further.

If Dishonored 2 is good--great. I'll pick it up later on at some point. It's probably the game I'm most interested in out of what's available, and that's probably because I never played the first one.

If Dead Rising 4 is good--great. But I just picked up Dead Rising 3, and everything I read about 4 doesn't make me think the game is going to be a significant upgrade. I totally dig Dead Rising 3, but another sequel doesn't necessarily get me revved up for some good holiday vacation gaming.

If Watch Dogs 2 is good--great. But I'm a little tired of the modern, tech-centered open-world action/RPG. Gotta be honest.

And as I said, Final Fantasy can go f*ck itself.

All of this to say, I broke down this weekend and bought Skyrim SE, because I just wasn't very excited about anything else coming out this holiday season, and if I can get a jump on researching the best mods/ones I'm interested in, testing that they're compliant with one another, and getting my game ready for the upcoming Thanksgiving break, then that's a win in my book. If I waited until Black Friday for a deal, I'd be looking at (maybe) 10-15% off, saving me a whopping $10. Not worth it.

So I downloaded Skyrim SE, and spent some time this weekend perusing the available Xbox One mods (which already outnumber the PS4 mods 6-to-1 because of Sony's limitations), and I have to say... I'm excited. Even though it's five years old, the game still looks good enough to enjoy, especially given the setting (fantasy). The game also has more of the nondescript player character that I wanted more of in both Fallout 4 and Witcher 3. Both Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 are good games, but the fact that they pushed so heavily a very specific narrative behind each main character really sucked a lot of the enjoyment out of it, in terms of player character creation. Skyrim does exactly the opposite, and I very much appreciate that.

The mods I've downloaded are amazing in how they refine / personalize the gaming experience. I'll post them later with brief descriptions of what they do.

All in all, while I had really wanted to hold off buying Skyrim SE at full price, because f*ck Bethesda for doing that, looking at the upcoming holiday games calendar, I just didn't see much of anything inspiring. So, I'm eating shit on this one, but I don't regret it. Skyrim's going to be my go-to this Winter, and I'm pumped about that, because of its anonymous player creation setup, and its overall world were really what I wanted out of something to put my time toward this long-ass winter.

There are a few shooters that just came out that are worth getting right now if you're into FPS...  Titanfall 2, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare and Battlefield 1.

I purchased CoD mostly because the legacy edition I got came with a remastered Call of Duty: Modern Warfare from 9 years ago-- the remaster (multiplayer) is great if you loved the original!

Best Buy has a sale right now, buy 1 select game get 40% off a second game.  If you're a member of their gamer's club, you can get select 2 games that are regularly $60 ea for a total of $75 shipped (+$5 tax)!

I OD'd on multiplayer FPSers back in 2002 with Counter-Strike. At this stage in my life when it comes to videogames, I'm looking to wind down, not get more tense than I already am. They're tense experiences, with a ton of players randomly running around a map creating havoc. If you communicate with a headset, you generally have to put up with a ton of inane chatter and shit-talking. 

One of the problems I have with FPSers in multiplayer formats is that although they look beautiful, and run on typically great game engines, the actual game itself does very little to resemble a war scenario. You can shoot a player 5 - 10 times before they go down. No one on the field of battle is shitting their pants scared of what is happening. Very little group strategy is being experienced. And on.

Again, fun games in certain aspects for sure. At this stage in my life, waaaay better single-player experiences than multi-player. 

2 minutes ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

If you communicate with a headset, you generally have to put up with a ton of inane chatter and shit-talking. 

One of the problems I have with FPSers is that although they look beautiful, and run on typically great game engines, the actual game itself does very little to resemble a war scenario. You can shoot a player 5 - 10 times before they go down. No one on the field of battle is shitting their pants scared of what is happening. Very little group strategy is being experienced. And on.

Yeah, the voice chat does get bogged down with kiddies and shit-talkers.

The second thing you mentioned, they've improved with new game modes.  I play 'hardcore' modes where it's mostly 1-shot kills.  I also stick with game modes such as 'search & destroy" that are objective based.  That being said, you still run into the immature kids who sometimes ruin it.  But there are a lot of 'serious' players as well if you can get into a good party.

Some Skyrim thoughts after putting in some time:

TL;DR: I might be enjoying Skyrim more than Fallout 4.

Really good so far. Same game engine that ran their Fallout titles, just modified. You'd think a 5 year old game would function less than, say, a Fallout 4. But honestly, in terms of features, I'm not really seeing a huge difference, and in fact, Skyrim has a lot to offer that Fallout 4 didn't. I'm comparing the two, because Fallout 4 is the only Bethesda game I've played that uses this game engine.

Graphically, Skyrim Special Edition is showing its age. This is particularly evident in player models. But the thing is, this game engine has never modeled characters well, so it's not really a big deal, ultimately. Environments, visual effects--all of that stuff is solid in this game, benefitting from the enhancements of this special edition release. More so when you download some of the AMAZING mods that are available for updating certain textures. Overall, Fallout 4 looks better, but that's to be expected given that it was released just last year.

The sound is solid. The score in the game is beautiful, and better than Fallout 4 given that there's a more original score here in comparison the general theme of Fallout 4 combined with a retro radio soundtrack. 

Here's the craziest observation so far. Gameplay. So far, I'm actually preferring Skyrim. Fallout 4 was all about guns. Yes, it had melee weapons as well, but let's get serious--it's a gun game. Skyrim has melee weapons, which are enhanced by two-handed or one-handed weapons while using a shield. Its melee gameplay is already more complicated than Fallout 4 just by including shields. Replacing guns in Skyrim are bow and arrows or crossbows, which feel INFINITLY more rewarding to use than the 1000th different gun combination you're allowed to make. Bow and arrows combined by some user mods to add more realism to how they function = badass.

But wait--there's more! Skyrim is in a fantasy setting, so you have MAGIC and a thing called SHOUT, which is basically a different kind of magic. There's already a ton of different spells and shouts, but again, with user mods, they've expanded on types of magic by 100x. Melee weapons + bow and arrows + magic + shouts = more variety than Fallout 4.

Boston was my home for a long time. I loved seeing parts of it realized in Fallout 4. But post apocalyptic Boston, while beautiful, was also definitely redundant when it came to building structures, debris, dead trees, and overall dead post apocalyptic landscape. Skyrim faces some redundancy because it's an older game that's based in a Nordic environment, with fewer textures to pass around. But here's the thing, it works. There's enough variety from giant thunderstorms (with added mod enhancements), to blizzards, and sunshine, that the Nordic landscape is a ton of fun to play in. I actually prefer it.

Here's where my mind is blown--I also enjoy the overall gameplay design of Skyrim more than Fallout 4. The design of dungeons in Skyrim is more evident. In Fallout 4, thanks to all of the debris and blown up buildings, finding clear paths to goals can sometimes be very frustrating if you're trying to play with stealth. In Skyrim, dungeons are laid out to be a little more friendly, enabling the player to make more effective stealth strategies. It feels so much more rewarding in Skyrim to stalk your enemies. I'm actually hard-pressed to think of ways that Fallout 4's gameplay is better than Skyrim, which is crazy considering 4 years separate the two.

The major difference that Fallout 4 has over Skyrim is the settlement building stuff, and let's be honest, that didn't add much to Fallout 4 other than some Minecraft-esq building elements. I don't miss it at all in Skyrim.

Another layer that makes me enjoy Skyrim is how the character you play has no pre-defined backstory like Fallout 4. It's up to you to decide what your decision-making rationale is going to be, as opposed to Fallout 4's forced "I'm a Dad looking for my kid," which really does push you into a goody-two shows player logic. Yes, you can be a dick in Fallout 4, but doing so really goes against the entire setup of the intro. Not so in Skyrim, where your backstory is a blank slate.

All of the above, combined with hundreds of amazing (I mean AMAZING) mods, which I used from the start of my play-through, really has me enjoying Skyrim in ways that I simply didn't for Fallout 4.

I really enjoyed Fallout 4, no doubt. But Skyrim is the game that I wanted Fallout 4 to be more like. And even though I loved the post-apocolyptic Boston environment, I prefer the Nordic forests and mountains of Skyrim. I prefer the weapons of Skyrim. So far, I prefer the dungeon designs. I prefer the enemy types of a fantasy setting versus the sometimes cool, sometimes bizarre enemies of Fallout 4.

It's still early yet, but so far, I am loving Skyrim. Crazy enough, I might be enjoying it more than Fallout 4, and the game is FIVE YEARS OLD. But mods are a must.

SKYRIM update:

All of what I said above is still relevant as I continue my play-through. The more I play, the more bugs I've found. Most are harmless. 

However, I did install enough mods now that one of the cities in the game is nearly unplayable. Fortunately, you can fast travel to inside the city, but if you try to cross the bridge leading into it, the game crashes. Apparently, this is a pretty widely known issue.

Here's an example of the quest differences between Skyrim and Fallout 4, and why I prefer Skyrim's more open character narrative. As noted, Fallout 4 is a game about a goody-two-shows Dad looking for his kid. Skyrim is almost whatever you want it to be.

I've chosen to be a sneaky, murdering archer, who's just as stealthy with a dagger, opting for the occasional usage of support magic. My dude is not a good guy, and he opts to help people as long as it serves him.

I found my way to a mountain top with an alter where a worshipper of a God told me that I needed to bring someone here, and then sacrifice them, and this God would talk to me. So I went back to a city, hired a henchman looking for work, and brought this henchmen to the alter. I tied up the henchmen to the stake, stabbed him, and the God possessed the dead henchman's body. The God told me to go to a local mine where disciples of his had gone astray, and then murder them all. So, of course I went to the mine and murdered them all. After I went back to the alter, the God rewarded my service, and the worshipper told me that he was going to keep part of the reward as payment for introducing me to the God. Well, I didn't quite like that arrangement, so after my conversation with the God, I waited for the worshipper to turn away from me, and I walked up to him from behind and stealth killed the worshipper and then threw his body off a cliff.

The above nonsense is why I prefer Skyrim over Fallout 4. Ain't none of this kind of crazy voodoo shit in Fallout 4, let alone providing me the sense that I could lead a character astray down a lonely, murderous path.

Two thumbs up!

Glad to hear you've been enjoying Skyrim. I've only beat it once and thought it was pretty cool. I've been focused more on PC gaming lately, mainly the indie title Freedom Planet and Worms Reloaded when i'm not goofing off on my Tecmo All-Time rom. 

43 minutes ago, TecmoSuperFan said:

Glad to hear you've been enjoying Skyrim. I've only beat it once and thought it was pretty cool. I've been focused more on PC gaming lately, mainly the indie title Freedom Planet and Worms Reloaded when i'm not goofing off on my Tecmo All-Time rom. 

I'm digging it. My major criticism for it is shared among all Bethesda RPGs, and that's that this company couldn't write itself out of a wet bag. Their ability to make extremely detailed and intricate worlds gets somewhat dwarfed by their grotesque lack of ability to write for interesting characters with unique vantage points of the world that they live in. Also, same with Fallout 4, I wish most quest setups weren't in the style of: walk to new town, engage in conversation with standing NPC, be given fetch/kill quest, do quest, come back to NPC and be rewarded with cash that I don't need.

Otherwise, the game is solid.

My backlog continues to skyrocket but at the moment I'm splitting time between 2 games:

1. Enter the Gungeon - 

a 16bit inspired "cute-em up" (shoot em up with cutesy characters). The look is definitely pulled from A Link to the Past. It's a rouge like dungeon crawler that is hard as nails. There's only 5 levels, but it's taken me forever just to reach the 4th. I don't know yet if I have it in me to beat. Tight controls, imaginative enemies. Not much story, but there's some kinda cool mystery to the whole thing. Really dig the vibe, especially how much it reminds me of A Link to the Past (with guns). 

The second is a much more passive experience - Batman: The Telltale Series. 

I don't know how many out there have any experience with these games, but I think they're pretty great. There's not a lot of game play action, it's mostly dialog choices (think Mass Effect) that determine where the story goes (to an extent). It's sort of like a choose your own adventure animated movie, with a few button prompts, and a spattering of sections  that play like those old Lucas Arts adventure games. But I'm having a blast! This is a totally original Batman story, and so far, it's great! There's been 2 or 3 twists that I didn't see coming, and I haven't even played the 4th (of 5) episodes yet. Tons of fun. Check it out. Trailer below, but honestly, doesn't do it justice at all. 

I finally got PS4, being totally out of the loop this gen of gaming.  I haven't really kept up with what's new. I did want to play Fallout 4 so I picked that up for 14.99. Started my first game totally blind on Survival difficulty. Talk about your hostile environment.

Posted (edited)

UPDATE:

Tried a bunch of games.

Currently I'm playing The Division. I'm kind of in love with this game. Very tactical gameplay for a duck & cover shooter. I dig mostly everything about it. The NPC enemies can be something of bullet sponges, but I don't mind that. The constant need to change out old gear for better new gear can get a little tedious. The types of missions can get a little repetitive, but the core of the game relies on the duck & cover game play within the missions themselves, which I think is the best part of the game. Do I think I'll play this game for months and months on end? No. Is the story great? No (and, honestly, who cares?) But I DO think that when an urge comes up to play a 3rd-person shooter, this is definitely my go-to experience. Highly recommended. 4 yaks out of 5.

Tried the re-release for Resident Evil 4, having never played it originally when it debuted in the mid-2000s. I'm sure the game COULD be fun, but the controls are absolutely BRUTAL. Re-releasing this game without upgrading the controls/camera was a terrible, terrible choice by Capcom. If you can get beyond how absolutely BRUTALLY TERRIBLE the controls are, I'm sure you'll have fun. Not recommended. 1.5 yaks out of 5.

Gave Batman - Arkham Knight a whirl. Fun. The atmosphere is amazing. The scale of the city and the technology of the game engine to render such a beautiful city is pretty amazing. Technologically, this game is pretty astounding in ways. It also appears to me to be a faithful interpretation of Batman's world in Gotham city. Typical open-world gameplay format, which works for a Batman, IMO. The voicing acting for Batman is terrible, though. Seriously, what a stupid mistake to make in a game that's ABOUT BATMAN. I'm not a huge Batman fan in general, so I'm not overly interested to push this game higher on my list of games to play. If I was more of a Batman fanboy, I'd be in heaven. Recommended. 3.5 yaks out of 5.

I finally bit the bullet and picked up Rocket League. Fun as hell. The depth of the game engine is brilliant. Each match I have is fantastic. The only thing I don't like about the game is that there aren't more complicated multi-player match styles, like a tournament mode, or season mode, or something that simply wasn't one-off matches with a different number of players involved. They try to work around this by having your account 'level up' and whatnot, but I simply don't see the point of that. Overall, highly recommended. I just wish there was more to do with the multiplayer. 4 yaks out of 5.

Grand Theft Auto 5 for the Xbox One finally was super discounted a couple of weeks ago, so I picked that up. Amazing how far Rockstar has taken this series, technologically-speaking. It's impressive in so many ways. The physics engine in GTA 5 is actually a little phased back from GTA 4, in terms of dynamics in car crashes and on foot. I was a little disappointed by that. The story/characters are typical Rockstar GTA nuttiness. I don't mind that the game doesn't take itself seriously at all, but I'm still waiting for Rockstar to truly flesh out how in-depth the player can interact with the various wandering NPCs. Although the world is so beautifully fleshed out and full of visual life, the actual interactive life of the world is still just as 2-dimensional as the early versions of this game on older consoles. NPCs in the GTA games just serve as providers of missions, or the general public NPCs serve as barriers to get in your way, either as bullet fodder for your guns, and blood splatters on the hood of your car. They really don't have much more depth than that, which is disappointing to me at this stage in GTA's life. I want more. Recommended. 3 yaks out of 5.

Posted (edited)

Whoops. I forgot that I also picked up the new Doom. Played it for a bit. The campaign seems fun. It's gruesome in that wholesome Doom kind of way. I enjoy the little winks to the player that the developers put in there to reference that the Doom "story" is completely ridiculous and for the player to not think too hard about it. The game plays smooth, the character graphics are great. The background textures are really bad, IMO. The static dead bodies laying around, the floors, walls, various static computer equipment and textures looks like something out of the last gen of consoles. Not impressed. I think the thing that most profoundly jumped out at me regarding the game on the whole is the pacing. This is, possibly, the fastest FPS I've ever played. The standard speed at which the player runs around each map is VERY fast. The fact that I don't have the ability to slow down my character's top speed, other than a subtle push on the analogue stick is brutal. Frankly, I think it's too fast to be enjoyed. This game was clearly made for the person who binges on Mountain Dew.  Fun game, otherwise. Solid campaign. Good 'inside' jokes to the player. Multiplayer is pretty basic. Recommended if you enjoy the overall speed of the game. 3 yaks out of 5.

Posted (edited)

UPDATES. More Games! OPEN WORLD-A-PALOOZA.

Mad Max is a criminally underrated open world game. The graphics may be the best graphics for an under-the-radar game of this type of any that I have ever played. The world is desolate, like a Mad Max game should be. The character animation graphics, landscape, vehicle, special effects (explosions, fire, etc.) are some of the best I've ever seen. The overall appearance of the game is gritty, brutal, and aggressive. The combat plays a lot like Shadow of Mordor: lots of chain combat fighting, reversals, etc.. Max has an upgradable shotgun that is a ton of fun to use. The combat 'finishers' never get old. The special effects of the slowdown camera when you kill the last enemy within a group is lots of fun, and a good indicator of when area combat is concluded. The game is light on story, but what dialogue there is feels fresh because of the Mad Max world that its in; every speaks in a kind of broken English due to the degradation of the language in a post-apocalyptic world. Most of the open world quests are kill/destroy types. In other games, this gets boring pretty quickly, but for some reason, Mad Max's versions of these quest types have kept my interest, which I attribute to the overall success of the presentation of the game, and how progressing in the game equates to vehicle and character upgrades. To me, Mad Max is the open world game for the person who likes combat, exploration, a unique environment, and not a lot of chatter. Recommended. 3.5 (maybe 4) yaks out of 5.

Mafia 3 is another open world game where you play as Lincoln Clay, a black Vietnam veteran returning to a faux New Orleans-based environment. Lincoln was adopted by a local gangster when he was young, went to Vietnam, 'saw some things over there,' and is returning to a historic late 1960s American South. Without ruining the story, Lincoln is given all the reason he needs to turn the tables of the local mafia situation around town and go on a epic revenge tour of "New Bordeaux." The character graphics are great-to-average across the board. The environmental graphics are pretty bad: most everything looks washed out and under-developed, reminding me more of a last gen console experience than current gen. Mafia 3's combat is whatever you choose it to be. You can play stealthy (which is very fulfilling) or you can go in guns blazing (also fulfilling). The game does a good job catering to either player type. I LOVE how the game handles getting the police involved during a violent spree. Basically, a cop either has to see you commit the crime, or a pedestrian has to see you, and then you're notified that the pedestrian is going to call the police by using a local phone booth or wall phone somewhere, and you have to stop them before they make the call. Especially when I compare this kind of thoughtful mechanic to the nonsense that is the GTA series, Mafia 3 gets high marks for actually making the police response system fun. Also, when the waves of police start to come for you, escaping them is also more interesting than GTA.

My biggest issue with the game is the nature of collecting 'transistor' items in the world that you use to wiretap communication boxes to get intel on target areas. 1. Collecting an endless supply of transistors laying around the map is boring as f*ck. 2. The actual application of these transistors requires you to 'break open' the communication box, which enacts the game's 'lock breaking' mini-game, which is the worst, most boring unlocking mini-game I have ever played in a videogame. That the player has to collect so many transistors, and unlock so many communications boxes, means that you're going to be participating in this boring-as-f*ck unlocking mini-game over and over again. I have already stopped, and decided to forgo the benefits. If there is a single person on the Mafia 3 development team that thought this was a fun game mechanic, I would be shocked. The BEST parts of Mafia 3 is the story and the soundtrack. The soundtrack is rife with radio hits from the era, and is, without a doubt, my favorite radio soundtrack of all-time in any game I have ever played. When the game's intro screen pops up, and All Along the Watchtower kicks in, you know you're in for an epic ride. Now the story: the story is great. It's the most cohesive story in an open world game that I've played yet. My favorite part is how it tackles racial issues in the South as a black veteran protagonist: without apology. There is so much racist shit being thrown at Lincoln throughout much of game, to the point where when an NPC calls you a name, you're like, "WTF did you just call me?" prior to taking a combat knife to that NPC's head. It's brutal and poetic, and I give the developers high grades for telling a brutal story in a brutal fashion.  Recommended. 3.5 yaks out of 5. Soundtrack gets a 5 out of 5. ;)

Far Cry Primal is your typical Ubisoft open world experience. If you've ever played a Far Cry, then this is that, but without the guns. That is plays without guns and a lot of explosions is unique enough, but Ubisoft has fallen asleep at the wheel when it comes to ingenuity. Their games just lack a certain fun spirit. Far Cry Primal employs a 'tracking system' that basically changes how you view the area around you, for the purposes of hunting people or animals. Other games handle this 'tracking vision' concept so much better than how Far Cry Primal handles it. Hell, even older Far Cry Games handle this kind of tracking vision better than Far Cry Primal's bizarre and not very effective combination of overlay colors. I might get back into this game at some point, but I'm in no hurry. 2 (2.5 if you've never played a Far Cry game) yaks out of 5.

Sniper Elite 3 is pretty much like every other Sniper Elite game you've played, if you've played one. It's not a bad game, but it's not a great game either. If you're looking to get your stealth on and snipe a bunch of guys and bask in the joy of the slow motion head or nut shot, then this is your game. 2.5 yaks out of 5.

Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition is an open world game that takes place in Hong Kong. Graphics are fine, music is fine, environmental graphics are pretty nice. You play as an undercover cop who infiltrates the local mob and kicks everyone's asses. The story is solid. The variety of mission types is fun. The hand-to-hand combat is similar to Shadows or Mordor and Mad Max: lots of reversals and etc., and tons of extra fun because the game is focused on martial arts. There are plenty of weapons which feel really good. Weapon combat reminds of the old PS1 Syphon Filter games for anyone who remembers those. It's the kung fu videogame you always wanted to play. I went through this whole game without looking back. Worst part of the game is the navigation minimap while driving, and the propensity to have to do a lot of back-tracking in a car, which can get annoying, especially when the Hong Kong streets are so f*cking twisty and laborous to drive. That being said, definitely recommended. 3.5 yaks out of 5.