Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maynard_G_Krebs

MGK's Videogames Thread

126 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, SirTed said:

I checked last night. 

The real number is 987. Whoops. 

I just can't stop playing this game. I'd really like to play other things...but I just can't do it. This game is too fun. 

What do you guys think of the Neo Tokyo stage? I really hated it at first, but now I think it's pretty fun. 

I hated it at first too, but lately it seems to be one of my better maps for some reason.  It's a nice change of pace in the rotation.  I haven't seen you online yet, but soon we will play together and you can see how bad I suck.

I finished Witcher 3 the other night. I 100-percented the game. By the time I finished the main story, I had completed everything else the game has to offer. Again, great game. The ending sequences, however, were very anti-climactic to me.

I dove into Red Dead Redemption this past weekend, because I missed out on it in the last generation of consoles, and it recently got backwards compatibility on the Xbone. Wow. What a FUN game. The story cinematics, the characters, the overall world of the game. I'm only a couple of hours in, but I can already tell this game is going to be a ton of fun.

23 hours ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

I finished Witcher 3 the other night. I 100-percented the game. By the time I finished the main story, I had completed everything else the game has to offer. Again, great game. The ending sequences, however, were very anti-climactic to me.

Did you get the expansions yet?

9 minutes ago, rmm1976 said:

Did you get the expansions yet?

I have not. I need a little break from the Witcher world before I dive into 40+ hours of expansions.

On 8/8/2016 at 9:28 AM, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

I dove into Red Dead Redemption this past weekend, because I missed out on it in the last generation of consoles, and it recently got backwards compatibility on the Xbone. Wow. What a FUN game. The story cinematics, the characters, the overall world of the game. I'm only a couple of hours in, but I can already tell this game is going to be a ton of fun.

Red Dead - perfect example of a game I got lost in. And not in a good way - although it IS a great game, and I'd like to replay - but just too much content, as dumb as that sounds. For me, anyway. 

BTW - got my brother to mail me the Witcher. Excited to give it a shot, especially fo free. 

1 minute ago, SirTed said:

Red Dead - perfect example of a game I got lost in. And not in a good way - although it IS a great game, and I'd like to replay - but just too much content, as dumb as that sounds. For me, anyway. 

BTW - got my brother to mail me the Witcher. Excited to give it a shot, especially fo free. 

If Red Dead has too much content for your likes, then your brain is going to get melted by Witcher 3. :)

5 minutes ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

If Red Dead has too much content for your likes, then your brain is going to get melted by Witcher 3. :)

I know, man! Dang!

It's what has kept me away. But I want to see how it looks and feels, because everyone says it's so great. Everything I read / hear is that they one-upped Bethesda in the "Open World / American style RPG" department, which is a hellava feat. 

I just cracked No Man's Sky last night. Meant to play for 20min and ended up playing for 2hrs. It's slow, it's desolate, but I think I really like it. Not sure if I can play it forever, but it's really a fantastic achievement in video games. As much as I heard about the scope, seeing it in action is really quite something. Well done, Hello Games. Well done. 

4 minutes ago, SirTed said:

I know, man! Dang!

It's what has kept me away. But I want to see how it looks and feels, because everyone says it's so great. Everything I read / hear is that they one-upped Bethesda in the "Open World / American style RPG" department, which is a hellava feat. 

I just cracked No Man's Sky last night. Meant to play for 20min and ended up playing for 2hrs. It's slow, it's desolate, but I think I really like it. Not sure if I can play it forever, but it's really a fantastic achievement in video games. As much as I heard about the scope, seeing it in action is really quite something. Well done, Hello Games. Well done. 

Yeah, while it is a different game than Fallout 4 (1st person versus 3rd person), I can say, hands down, that Witcher 3 is the better overall game.

After playing Witcher 3, one thing I appreciate about Red Dead out of the gate is how much more sparse the world is. I actually like that towns are smaller, the world is filled with less people, and etc.. I feel more empowered in Red Dead to play as a semi-villain, too. If someone wrongs me, I have zero problem pulling out my six gun and ace-ing them right between the eyes, Old West-style.

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

Started a Browns Connected Franchise mode to make Cleveland great again. First thing i did was trade Manziel to Denver for Osweiler

3 hours ago, SirTed said:

I'm thinking about trading in a few games and picking this up...   The videos I've watched look pretty damn boring though.  Have you encountered any other players yet?

4 hours ago, rmm1976 said:

I'm thinking about trading in a few games and picking this up...   The videos I've watched look pretty damn boring though.  Have you encountered any other players yet?

You can't encounter other players. 

I bought FIFA 15 for my 3ds to amuse me on a long airplane trip. Despite not knowing much about the sport other than "pass a lot and lob the ball into a player near the goal so he can head it in", i'm really enjoying the game. Are there any other fifa players here?

4 hours ago, stalltalk said:

It's all pretty confusing. The developer has been flip flopping on the subject quite a bit. Maybe it's something they are still trying to add into the game. 

You are not meant to encounter other players. It's all in one "universe" but not meant to be a multiplayer game. I didn't read the article, but my buddy mentioned it had something to do with "instancing." He explained it, I barely understand. But to reiterate, although I can find planets that others discovered, I cannot find the player. This is ok. I think it's meant to be an isolating experience. Did you know there are roughly 18 Quintrillion planets in the No Man's universe? 

As I said before, the size and scope of No Man's is an astonishing achievement. I think a lot of people have false hopes / expectations about what this game is, and or meant to be. 

28 minutes ago, SirTed said:

You are not meant to encounter other players. It's all in one "universe" but not meant to be a multiplayer game. I didn't read the article, but my buddy mentioned it had something to do with "instancing." He explained it, I barely understand. But to reiterate, although I can find planets that others discovered, I cannot find the player. This is ok. I think it's meant to be an isolating experience. Did you know there are roughly 18 Quintrillion planets in the No Man's universe? 

As I said before, the size and scope of No Man's is an astonishing achievement. I think a lot of people have false hopes / expectations about what this game is, and or meant to be. 

oh, i'm aware of that... but why is the lead designer dancing around the question repeatedly?

Meeting other players would be insanely difficult, design wise and server side. So, yeah.. it isn't such a big deal. But, I don't think they did a very good job explaining their game.    

Edited by stalltalk

I wonder if the game is really that great an achievement as they say it is.  They advertise the "18 Quintrillion planets" or whatever, but even if that is accurate it would just be a bunch of randomly generated planets.  I get the feeling watching gameplay videos that it will get repetitive quickly, unless they can somehow have an extreme variance among planet types, life forms and what not.

50 minutes ago, rmm1976 said:

I wonder if the game is really that great an achievement as they say it is.  They advertise the "18 Quintrillion planets" or whatever, but even if that is accurate it would just be a bunch of randomly generated planets.  I get the feeling watching gameplay videos that it will get repetitive quickly, unless they can somehow have an extreme variance among planet types, life forms and what not.

Yeah, the more I keep reading about this game, the worst I feel for this small house development team that is going to have a hell of a time living up to the expectations that this game has found itself having.

2 hours ago, rmm1976 said:

How can it not be? 

I agree with MGK that expectations and the roll out of the game have put the developer in a tough spot, and they own the lion's share of responsibility for that. But no matter what happens, this game is an incredible achievement in video games. The scale is like nothing we've ever seen. Yes, there has to be some repetitiveness or "whatever" - but I think it's something that you have to experience for yourself. I mean, can you think of a game where you can seamlessly take off from a planet, fly up through the atmosphere into space, and then right down into a completely separate planet without ANY loading? This game is nothing short of a phenomenal technical achievement, at the very least.

The actual "game" I think is divisive (as Sean Murray said). My brother is a huge space junkie / scifi guy, and I thought he'd love it. He didn't. Not enough action. It's a lonely game. It's a slow game. I personally like these aspects. I enjoy multiplayer games as much as the next, but it's nice every once and a while to play something different. 

The friends I have on the Playstation Network that have played No Man's Sky or are still playing it have all told me that the game is awesome visually and it is interesting at first, but then boredom sets in.  Most of them have advised me that if I want to play or buy this game then wait until it is on sale, because it is not worth the $59.99 price tag for as boring as it gets. 

To be fair though, perhaps the reason we are friends on the Playstation Network is because we play similar games and this game No Man's Sky doesn't appeal to them nor myself because the type of games we usually play are different than this one. I myself will not be purchasing this game, unless it becomes available as a free download on the PSN!

Update on the Browns franchise owner career mode:

Browns went 14-2 for the season [simmed the last seven weeks of the season], clinched home field and Division with the second best being Cincy at 10-6. Defeated Cincy and New England [also 14-2] to reach the Super Bowl, where the Seahawks [surprise surprise, 14-2 as well.] were waiting for me. Decided to play the first half and crushed Seattle 56-9. 

On a side note, i found out how broken owner mode really is. you can give yourself unlimited money $5 million at a time xD did that and made some major FA pickups in Matt Forte, Demaryius Thomas, Haloti Ngata and Bruce Irvin. Cleveland's currently at a 94 overall now lol

Just finished Red Dead Redemption on backwards compatibility on my Xbox One. Great game. Probably the best open world action game I've played. Mind you, I haven't played GTA 5. And for comparison's sake, I consider Witcher 3 to be an open world RPG.

But on its own, Red Dead's game world, its storyline, character dialogue, its action, the sparseness of the world, the feel of the weapons and how shootouts occur, and all of the bells and whistles that bring this spaghetti shooter to life make it easily my favorite action open world game. I SO much prefer the idea of managed, duck and cover shootouts with 6 round pistols versus the weaponry shitshow of the GTA series. The combat feels like there's more at stake because of it. 

The fact that they're currently making another Red Dead game is amazing news. Highly recommended for those like me who missed out on this classic. 4.5 yaks out of 5.

Also, Madden update. I pre-ordered the latest Madden and I've played online mode a bunch. Will have thoughts on this later, but overall, it's a good upgrade.

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

2 minutes ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Just finished Red Dead Redemption on backwards compatibility on my Xbox One. Great game. Probably the best open world action game I've played. Mind you, I haven't played GTA 5. And for comparison's sake, I consider Witcher 3 to be an open world RPG.

But on its own, Red Dead's game world, it's storyline, and character dialogue, it's action, the sparseness of the world, the feel of the weapons and how shootouts occur, and all of the bells and whistles that bring his spaghetti shooter to life make it easily my favorite action open world game. I SO much prefer the idea of managed, duck and cover shootouts with 6 round pistols versus the weaponry shitshow of the GTA series. The combat feels like there's more at stake because of it. 

The fact that they're currently making another Red Dead game is amazing news. Highly recommended for those like me who missed out on this classic. 4.5 yaks out of 5.

Also, Madden update. I pre-ordered the latest Madden and I've played online mode a bunch. Will have thoughts on this later, but overall, it's a good upgrade.

I missed that one, too.  I'm gonna go buy it tonight, I think.