Sign in to follow this  
Maynard_G_Krebs

MGK's Videogames Thread

3 hours ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

Gaming Update:

Witcher 3

My last major criticism of this game is a shared criticism between all games of this size. The sheer immensity of game hours that Witcher 3 has available made it difficult for me at times to follow along. I found myself wondering at every new character encounter "Am I really going to have to remember this person? Or will they be irrelevant in another 10 minutes?" I've already admitted fast-forwarding through a lot of conversation that I perceived as expendable. I think these giant, epic games don't have a very strong ability to tie storylines together. These giant, sprawling games seem to get lost in their own attempt to make a memorable 100+ hour experience. I wish gaming studios spent more money on the writing staff, and developed a cleaner story experience in these massive RPGS.

This is the biggest thing keeping me away from  the game. I've heard it's great - and I'm actually inching closer to giving it a try - but the density of it is too much for me, personally. I think if I was 10 years younger, this may have been the greatest game of all time - but I just can't dedicate time to a game like that any more. But I think maybe you don't HAVE to play it so deeply if you choose not to - it's just hard for me to go surface level on games like that. I end up going in too deep early, then flaming out quickly. I know it's not the same thing, but I don't think I've actually finished a Rockstar game in...5+ years. I just burn out on the side stuff. Dumb. 

On 6/30/2016 at 9:01 AM, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

My biggest pet peeves in playing Madden online with human opponents are when certain opponents (who, in this specific case, I presume are dickhead teenagers), always attempt 2-pt conversions, or always go for it on 4-down even when they're at 4th and 17 yards on their own 35 yard-line or some such. I hate it with a passion, and take great pleasure from shutting them down.

Why do you hate it? 

1 hour ago, SirTed said:

This is the biggest thing keeping me away from  the game. I've heard it's great - and I'm actually inching closer to giving it a try - but the density of it is too much for me, personally. I think if I was 10 years younger, this may have been the greatest game of all time - but I just can't dedicate time to a game like that any more. But I think maybe you don't HAVE to play it so deeply if you choose not to - it's just hard for me to go surface level on games like that. I end up going in too deep early, then flaming out quickly. I know it's not the same thing, but I don't think I've actually finished a Rockstar game in...5+ years. I just burn out on the side stuff. Dumb. 

That's kinda my line of thinking as well. Games like Uncharted and Assassins Creed 3 are about as much playtime as I can handle before I get bored of it. 

17 hours ago, SirTed said:

You can definitely save a ton of time by avoiding the side stuff. I'm not necessarily a 'completionist,' but if the game can keep my attention to ultimately wind up completing it 100%, then I gotta give props to the game itself for being enjoyable. Witcher 3 is that level of enjoyable to me. It dipped a couple of times throughout, but overall, I was able to stick with it. When I decided to give games like this a shot again, I went in knowing that whatever gaming hours I would give myself, would have to be--at times--solely dedicated to just one title in an effort to actually get somewhere in it. If you don't have the time, though, then you simply don't have the time. These games do make it difficult for people to drop in and out for 30 minutes. I would typically set aside a good chunk of time on the weekend to play through it, but I've made compromises with other hobbies to afford myself the ability to give these games a shot. I haven't written anything, drawn anything, or participated in theater stuff in a few months, and at this stage of my life wants, I'm okay with making that compromise right now. Ask me again in a few months, and I might have a different answer for you.

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

15 hours ago, bruddog said:

Why do you hate it? 

Because in my partisan mindset while playing, I like to think I play the game with some semblance of rationality that resembles the staging of an actual football game. And in an actual football game, no team always tries for 2-point conversions, nor do they always go for 4th-and-long from their own 25 yard line. It breaks the immersion for me.

2 hours ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

And in an actual football game, no team always tries for 2-point conversions, nor do they always go for 4th-and-long from their own 25 yard line. It breaks the immersion for me.

Except for this guy. I think more coaches would go for it on 4th if their job wasn't on the line and under scrutiny every week. If an NFL coach chooses to punt it away well then he can blame it on the defense etc because that is the de-facto call. 

http://www.sportsgrid.com/uncategorized/the-football-coach-who-never-punts-and-always-goes-for-the-onside-kick-explains-all/

But I understand your basic reasoning. 

Just like the Chip Kelly debacle that has now extended itself to San Fransisco, I think the strategies of not punting or kicking all onside attempts works for high school and inexperienced players, but I think those same strategies would be devoured in the NFL. I have no stats to back that up. Just a hunch.

Plus, a lot of high school teams -- the smaller schools especially -- have terrible punters and kickers, so punting the ball becomes a far less effective option.  You don't have that issue at the pro and even the college levels.  I still think pro and college teams punt too often though, especially teams with bad defenses.

When I was a Purdue in the mid-90's, our offenses were pretty good, but we had absolutely abysmal defenses.  It wasn't IF our opponent was going to score, it was HOW QUICKLY.  I was constantly lobbying for onside kicks and more 4th down tries.  I'm pretty confident that if advanced analytics existed in sports like it does today, they would've supported my position.

Of course, sports aren't played on paper and I realize that there are psychological effects to consider too.  The momentum teams receive from getting a 4th down stop . . . the damage to your defense's psyche if you onside kick it all the time ("I guess Coach really thinks we suck") . . .

• Was playing Dark Souls 3...love it, got all trophies.  Waiting for DLC.
  • Went back to Dragon Age Inquisition Multiplayer, ran into some old running mates from almost nine months ago...that's how long I stopped playing for. Fun game both Story and Online.
  • Bought Witcher 3 on Presidents day sale or something.  Like the game but did not want to immerse myself in it right before Dark Souls 3 came out.  I will get back to it at some point.
  • Neverwinter just came out for PS4 and it's free to download and play.  It includes all 9 expansions from the PC - FREE.  The 10th is due to release later this year -  FREE.  You can accomplish everything in this game for FREE.  There are options to pay cash for in game currency which will speed things along, but you can grind it out and find everything for FREE.  Just started playing it today and while the graphics are not what you would expect for next gen console play it is still worth playing at least so far.  Definitely going to invest 100+ hours of gameplay in this if the content keeps me as interested as I was today. Hit me up if you have a playstation 4:

Playstation name: thefes

Just a question i am too lazy to even google. Is there any skill to pokemon go or is it simply a "collecting" game that is mostly a time investment. 

I have no plans on downloading it. Just curious.

9 hours ago, bruddog said:

Just a question i am too lazy to even google. Is there any skill to pokemon go or is it simply a "collecting" game that is mostly a time investment. 

I have no plans on downloading it. Just curious.

Collecting / time investment game. Its biggest 'draw' right now is how it's setup as a 'social' experience. I suspect the popularity will fade by the end of the summer, because who's walking around in the cold searching for Pokemon? Crazy people.

17 hours ago, bruddog said:

Onsiding all the time definitely would not work in the nfl. I think coaches are still far too conservative on 4th down but its a high risk/high reward strategy.  

I totally agree that they're too conservative about 4th down. Totally. But going for 4th down every time? No sir.

12 hours ago, TheFes75 said:
  • Was playing Dark Souls 3...love it, got all trophies.  Waiting for DLC.
  • Went back to Dragon Age Inquisition Multiplayer, ran into some old running mates from almost nine months ago...that's how long I stopped playing for. Fun game both Story and Online.
  • Bought Witcher 3 on Presidents day sale or something.  Like the game but did not want to immerse myself in it right before Dark Souls 3 came out.  I will get back to it at some point.
  • Neverwinter just came out for PS4 and it's free to download and play.  It includes all 9 expansions from the PC - FREE.  The 10th is due to release later this year -  FREE.  You can accomplish everything in this game for FREE.  There are options to pay cash for in game currency which will speed things along, but you can grind it out and find everything for FREE.  Just started playing it today and while the graphics are not what you would expect for next gen console play it is still worth playing at least so far.  Definitely going to invest 100+ hours of gameplay in this if the content keeps me as interested as I was today. Hit me up if you have a playstation 4:

Playstation name: thefes

1. Dark Souls - impressive. Very impressive. Great game, also. 

2. What is Neverwinter?

3. Done!

2 hours ago, SirTed said:

2. What is Neverwinter?

It's basically Diablo in a Dungeons & Dragons realm, but with greater online gameplay options.  You can somewhat compare it to a smaller World of Warcraft type of game.  LOTS of dungeon crawling, tons of multiplayer options, and as The Fes said, it's completely free on PS4 right now.  Not in the PS plus section, but check out the GAMES area that are being spotlighted at the moment.

Fascinating article about the upcoming No Man's Land for PS4 using a patented 'superformula.' Although the 'superformula' patent has been reported to have been withdrawn in 2006...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-21-why-no-mans-sky-fans-are-worried-about-a-patented-superformula

Madden Update:

I cracked the top 10% of online Madden players. There are some players who can obviously put a whooping to me. I'm 107 - 72. Overall, I'm happy with the record and leaderboard success given a few months ago being the first time I really picked up a new Madden in 15-ish years.

And are you ready for this? I f*cking pre-ordered the standard version for 2017. PRE-ORDERED. I'm such a f*cking poser. Cool news is that this upcoming Madden is the first to be released with the new generation console at the foundation of this build. All new play-calling strategy, coverage AI, and execution mechanics. 

I was impressed by last year's pass-catching mechanics upgrade, but this year's release is a bar-raiser that has been three years in development with the current generation consoles in mind. It's Madden, so it will inevitably suck in certain ways, but many of the reported changes are weaknesses that I've noticed while playing the game for the past few months. I've been having a blast since I started getting back into Madden, so I'm looking forward to this new release.

I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO IT. What a f*cking poser I am. But seriously, looks damn good as far as upgrading points of long-standing criticism, from what I've read.

http://www.gamespot.com/madden-nfl-17/news/

For real, though. I haven't gotten into Madden but FIFA online is my jam. The last Madden I played was 15 and I didn't get that into it. I should give it a go this year.

Also, Rocket League. You need to play Rocket League.

1 hour ago, davefmurray said:

For real, though. I haven't gotten into Madden but FIFA online is my jam. The last Madden I played was 15 and I didn't get that into it. I should give it a go this year.

Also, Rocket League. You need to play Rocket League.

Every time I think I'm getting good at Rocket League, the game reminds me that I suck very badly.

Edited by Neerrm

50 minutes ago, Neerrm said:

Every time I think I'm getting good at Rocket League, the game reminds me that I suck very badly.

Yea.... the barrier of entry to get good is MAASSSIIVVVEEEE. I am not good either, but I have fun playing.

1 hour ago, davefmurray said:

Yea.... the barrier of entry to get good is MAASSSIIVVVEEEE. I am not good either, but I have fun playing.

You guys playing on PC or what? 

I'm the same way, I score three goals then the next game I play against real players and can barely touch the ball.  Still fun though!

On 6/30/2016 at 1:45 PM, SirTed said:

well, I'll tell you that I probably wouldn't have given it a second look if it wasn't the PS4 free game of the month, however many months ago. 

I couldn't give less of a shit about soccer.

But yeah. It's the shit. precise controls, yet  out of control fast game play. Great ramping of skill as you progress. Matches are 5 minutes long, which is fan fucking tastic. If you're playing in the non-competitive, there's only a few moments between matches, and even in competitive the wait isn't too bad (you have to wait for both sides to fill out their teams before it will start).Just a perfect game. I've played probably 300 matches or something absurd, and I've yet to see one cheesy play or maneuver get spammed. Not one instance of "all this guy can do is X"

Can't say that about Madden, whose competition is riddled with 1, 2 or 3 trick ponies. 

It's well worth the what, $20? Just do it and thank me later.

If you were on PS4 (like a real man) I'd demand it. Shit, I'd probably PayPal you the money. 

I checked last night. 

The real number is 987. Whoops. 

I just can't stop playing this game. I'd really like to play other things...but I just can't do it. This game is too fun. 

What do you guys think of the Neo Tokyo stage? I really hated it at first, but now I think it's pretty fun.