Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maynard_G_Krebs

MGK's Videogames Thread

130 posts in this topic

I've made several threads associated with videogames for specific platforms (Mobile, Console, Retro, PC), which all trail off onto off-topic games. I've decided to create an aggregate thread for all of these posts I make about videogames and more. And this is that.

Back in the day, I mentioned playing Fallout 4. I really enjoyed Fallout 4, but the story overall left me wanting more, and not in a good way. Great game world; not so great story. I'll go back to this game once Survival Mode hits in an upcoming update, and all of the expansion packs are released. Great game. Recommended. 4 yaks out of 5.

I then went from Fallout 4 to Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor, which is a stealth action/RPG. Good-to-great game. Recommended. 3.5 yaks of out 5.

After Lord of the Rings, I went to Dragon Age: Inquisition. Better story/in-game character interactions than Fallout 4, and not a terrible game engine. Had a lot of fun with this game. Good-to-great game. Recommended. 3.5 yaks out of 5.

Now I've shifted over to the leading game for why I bought an Xbox One console, State of Decay: Year One Edition. This is the closest game to a 'Walking Dead'-style experience that has yet to be fully realized. It's on an old Xbox 360 game engine, so the visuals and geography are a little sloppy. The game engine is not perfect, but I can overlook some of the erratic bugs for the pure nature of the game. It's such a good game. Early impressions: 4 yaks out of 5.

I also fired up Witcher 3 for a hot second to get a sense of how that game presents itself. I'm looking forward to playing this gem, as it became clear to me very early on that this is a game that is positioned to appeal to adults. Everything that I saw in my brief introduction made me feel like this game has a ton to offer.

Edited by Maynard_G_Krebs

I picked up Dark Souls III and The Division for XBONE.  Both solid games, I'd give them 4 yaks and recommend checking them out at some point.

33 minutes ago, rmm1976 said:

I picked up Dark Souls III and The Division for XBONE.  Both solid games, I'd give them 4 yaks and recommend checking them out at some point.

Dark Souls III is a definite at some point.

I'm not sold on the Division. I'm not really a 'loot/grind' kind of gamer. And everything I've read about the game says the online component is totally FUBAR'd with bugs and terrible network code that makes Ubisoft unable to easily correct many of their own issues. The game looks cool, in theory, but I'm not sure I want to invest time in an online game that has already been so exploited.

Dark Souls III is dope, but they always are. Too bad you jerks are over on XBONE. I'm currently making my way through that baby. 

I also picked up the latest Rachet & Clank which scratches the 3D platformer itch. It's great fun. 

I downloaded Alienation, the latest twin sticks shooter from Housemarque - (a 2nd party Sony studio). Haven't even touched it yet, but I'm fired up about it. They're one of my absolute favorite developers.  Resogun for PS4 (a launch title) is one of my favorite games to date. 

And lastly, Uncharted 4 is right around the corner, and that's a drop everything and play game. It's definitely a good time to game around here.

37 minutes ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

State of Decay video, and this is from an early version prior to many, many updates to the game.

I actually bought that game a long while back (I think on my 360 when it was on sale).  I should probably download and try it again-- only spent about 6 hours on it before I moved on to something else.

Also re: The Division, I'm pretty sure those bugs were just when it first launched.  I've only encountered a few bugs in about 20 hours played.  I got stuck in the environment once, and fell through the ground another time.  No issues at all with the online components though.  It does get a little bit repetitive but there's enough variety to make it worth your while.  They were wise to throw in the Dark Zone component to shake things up with some optional PvP.

Actually I forgot one weird thing with The Division--  I actually have to open up firewall ports to my XBOX when I play it.  There is documentation on that, for some reason Ubisoft servers have to contact your XBOX in order for you to play at all.  Oddly enough I didn't have to do that with Rainbow Six Siege (other Ubisoft game that's online only).

I am saving up for an XBONE. I have to get Gears of War 4. I played the Beta all weekend at my friends house now it must be mine. It will be mine. It shall be mine.

20 hours ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

State of Decay video, and this is from an early version prior to many, many updates to the game.

Looks cool, wish it PS4 too. :(

On 5/5/2016 at 4:14 PM, rmm1976 said:

Actually I forgot one weird thing with The Division--  I actually have to open up firewall ports to my XBOX when I play it.  There is documentation on that, for some reason Ubisoft servers have to contact your XBOX in order for you to play at all.  Oddly enough I didn't have to do that with Rainbow Six Siege (other Ubisoft game that's online only).

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/29/11538316/the-division-exploit-fixes-cheater-punishment-ubisoft

If you Google the problems for the Division, there is a lot of issues reported. That's not to say they won't be fixed, but everything I've read has told me it's been kind of a shit show since launch. The game does look very cool, though. The only non-bug issue that I don't like about the native game are the bullet sponge bosses, I wish loot/grind developers could think of better ideas to magnify a challenge for higher level players than simply making enemies bullet sponges.

I've been playing a lot of the old NCAA 06 on the ps2 recently. It's extremely unrealistic, which is why I love it so much. Running the ball is super-easy, fast players have a ridiculous advantage on defense, and completing deep passes is WAY easier than it should be. I'm overseeing an Arkansas dynasty with Peyton Hillis, freshman Darren McFadden, and some random fast QB is running an unstoppable triple option against the SEC, while my pathetic defense (you can't stop the run with 260 pound DT's and 190 pound linebackers) gives up 30 points a game. It's probably my second favorite football game ever.

Been playing a lot of Madden 25 with a Greats roster and WWE 2k16 on my 360. Fun times watching Tom Brady try to throw away from Haddix or Christian Okoye plowing over Clay Matthews. Or WWE's case, Freebirds vs Von Erichs or Road Warriors vs 4 Horsemen

17 hours ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/29/11538316/the-division-exploit-fixes-cheater-punishment-ubisoft

If you Google the problems for the Division, there is a lot of issues reported. That's not to say they won't be fixed, but everything I've read has told me it's been kind of a shit show since launch. The game does look very cool, though. The only non-bug issue that I don't like about the native game are the bullet sponge bosses, I wish loot/grind developers could think of better ideas to magnify a challenge for higher level players than simply making enemies bullet sponges.

The bullet sponge thing is just the way the game is...  Basically you can kill the weaker enemies with just a few shots, or a single headshot with a sniper rifle.  But the higher level enemies take a lot of shots to kill, and bosses take a crap-ton of shots to kill.  I think they ran into the problem of how to make bosses "tough" while still keeping the game realistic.  Bosses do tend to be decked out in tons of body armor so that makes it seem more plausible.  At any rate, I'm not sure there will ever be a solution to that.  Just the nature of the game.  I personally don't find it to be an issue, although it decreases immersion/realism a bit.

So I'm playing State of Decay, and very much enjoying myself, but the lure of Witcher 3's fantastic world setting was too great a call to deny. I'm many hours into Witcher 3 now, and I must say--wow. This game deserves all of the hype that it's been given. Great dialogue, great characters, great graphics, great systems. It's just a flat out great game. The combat reminds me a little bit of a more action-oriented version of the old PSX game called "Bushido Blade." I haven't played Witcher 3 long enough to give it an official yak score yet, but I will in time.

16 minutes ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

So I'm playing State of Decay, and very much enjoying myself, but the lure of Witcher 3's fantastic world setting was too great a call to deny. I'm many hours into Witcher 3 now, and I must say--wow. This game deserves all of the hype that it's been given. Great dialogue, great characters, great graphics, great systems. It's just a flat out great game. The combat reminds me a little bit of a more action-oriented version of the old PSX game called "Bushido Blade." I haven't played Witcher 3 long enough to give it an official yak score yet, but I will in time.

Have you had any "encounters" with the female protagonists in the game?  Without spoiling anything, let me just say that I think it's awesome that Geralt can have relationships with smokin' hot babes!  Everything about the game is done well, including that component :D

2 hours ago, rmm1976 said:

Have you had any "encounters" with the female protagonists in the game?  Without spoiling anything, let me just say that I think it's awesome that Geralt can have relationships with smokin' hot babes!  Everything about the game is done well, including that component :D

No female encounters yet. I rarely take the path of boning NPCs when offered, because after said boning, the NPCs usually wind up becoming an added responsibility in the overall game adventure. You know, kind of like real life.

2 hours ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

No female encounters yet. I rarely take the path of boning NPCs when offered, because after said boning, the NPCs usually wind up becoming an added responsibility in the overall game adventure. You know, kind of like real life.

LOL!!  Too funny man.  Without spoiling much, I'll just say that Geralt seems to be able to pick and choose as HE wants to, he's such a badass.  I don't think it locks you into a certain track for boning them.

The past few days I've taken to playing Madden 16 online against live opponents. I am by no means a "Madden pro." I can hold my own against most people in TSB, but Madden? Hardly. I have LOVED getting my ass handed to me. I haven't won a single game, and frankly, I love it. (I have "won" games because I was beating my opponent and they disconnected, however.) I had no idea playing Madden online against live people would be this much fun, and save for the assh*les that disconnect prior to the end of a game, I've been having a ton of fun with it. I play every game all the way through. I lost a game last night 49 - 7, and I'm totally good with it. I honestly enjoy losing as much as I do winning, because who gives a shit, really?

38 minutes ago, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

The past few days I've taken to playing Madden 16 online against live opponents. I am by no means a "Madden pro." I can hold my own against most people in TSB, but Madden? Hardly. I have LOVED getting my ass handed to me. I haven't won a single game, and frankly, I love it. (I have "won" games because I was beating my opponent and they disconnected, however.) I had no idea playing Madden online against live people would be this much fun, and save for the assh*les that disconnect prior to the end of a game, I've been having a ton of fun with it. I play every game all the way through. I lost a game last night 49 - 7, and I'm totally good with it. I honestly enjoy losing as much as I do winning, because who gives a shit, really?

I can't understand this logic. To quote Herm Edwards:

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by PockyCandy

2 minutes ago, PockyCandy said:

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NFL players play to win the game because it means more $$$ for them if they do. Ain't nobody paying me to play Madden in my boxers at 11:30 at night.

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OT - pockycandy, American bad-ass John Wooden (coach) never worried (or talked about) about winning or losing.  it was all about effort and execution.  he even said that some games that his teams "won", that he and the team itself, felt like they lost.  likewise, some games that they lost, they felt like they "won", because they did their best and executed their best. 

but I think MGK is saying that he's having so much fun that he doesn't care about the outcome of the game.

and, pockycandy, if you watched THE HERM at KC like I did, the quote is actually "YOU PUNT TO WIN THE GAME".

Edited by buck

Currently hopping back and forth between Witcher 3 & Madden 16.

My Madden skills are improving. I'm now 29-22 in 1-on-1 online play, ranked in the top 47%! ;)

Of course, I only play as New England. Tom Brady is on a 9 game winning streak! And like Tom Brady, I audible at the line like my life depended on it.

My Madden skillz continue to improve. I'm now 53 - 42. Ranked in the top 28% of players. Considering I haven't played a Madden game this much since 1997, I'm happy with the progress. ;)

I've ranted on this before, but please bear with me...

Kids who play videogames these days are spoiled rotten. They complain about every little thing regarding how MS or Sony are trying to reign in control of games sales (by having attempted to go digital only with the medium), what their systems are capable of or will offer, and on, and on, and on. Complain, complain, complain.

In the early 90s, as a kid, I spent $60 (keep in mind inflation) on an 8-bit Dick Tracy game. $60. For one shitty game.

I've spent roughly $120 since owning an Xbox One on discounted games through their Xbox Live Gold program. Not only are there good free games offered monthly, but the discounts alone are absurd. I now have a library of 30 games of XBone titles and backwards compatible 360 titles, for $120--only twice the amount of money I paid on a shitty 8-bit Dick Tracy game. Sometimes I pick up games just because of the price point. Like, why wouldn't I spend $5.99 on a digital download of a good game that, a year ago, was $49.99 new in retail? F*cking kids these days have no idea how good they have it.

Unrelated to this post, but related to previous posts--my Madden record is now 64 - 48, and I'm ranked in the top 20% of players. PROGRESS. ;)

More:

Currently I'm going back and forth from Witcher 3 to Madden. Madden is my "I have a little time to spare, let's jump into it" game. Witcher 3 is for when I know I have some serious couch time in front of me.

Witcher 3 update: great game. Really impressive in so many ways. What I've realized about these modern RPGs, though, is that they're more closely related to real life to me now than ever. By that what I mean is, Witcher 3 contains a lot of text and dialogue. Like, a lot. Like, an enormous amount. How I experience the real world is beginning to creep into my RPG play style, too. For instance, pre-quest conversations? I skip past them completely. IDGAF. IDGAF about why the quest giver needs me to do one thing or the other, IDGAF about how my helping them will affect their life, or even what I can expect in return. I simply just don't give a f*ck. I don't read any of the "books" that I find on shelves in the game, except just to open them and mark them as 'read.' This is very much like I how interact in the real world these days--IDGAF, and let's just get to the point.