(Tool) RBI Baseball Calculator

Baron von Lector

RBI Baseball Calculator

Putting my Visual Basic college classes to good use, I've created a calculator to help determine Batter ratings when putting together RBI Baseball ROMs.  Using the data from the original RBI Baseball, I created a formula (seen here) to help determine Power and Contact ratings. 

The interface is simple.  Enter a player's batting average.  Enter a player's homeruns.  Click Calculate.

Keep in mind, this calculator is only for determining batting ratings.  Running speed and pitching calculators will come, added to the batting calculator, at a later date.

rbicalc.png

How do you differentiate between a guy who hits say 30 homeruns in 600 at bats or plate appearances and a guy who hits 30 homeruns in 300 at bats or plate appearances?  While they both hit 30 homeruns, one guy hit 1 in every 20 at bats and the other hit 1 every 10 at bats. Just wondering if that was figured into the equation somehow. Awesome work by the way!

Much thanks.  That's something I'm going to feature in an update where you can input a player's at-bats and games, and then have it pro-rate for a 162-game season (if you choose).  Right now, it's just straight up numbers, so Travis Story's 10 HR in 100 at-bats this season is the same as Steve Sax's 10 HR in 600+ AB in 1991.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome job, now you can rate players on somewhat of an even keel especially for guys who have a better HR/per at bat ratio.  This looks to be a way to capture when someone had a "magical" season like Dave Justice in 1990 was called up after about 35 games or so and had a big year in 3/4 of a season. He hit 282 with 28 Home Runs in 428 AB's. That would correlate to around 39 Home Runs over a 600 AB season.