Tecmo NBA Basketball Mapping Project

TecmoTurd

After playing Baron's Tecmo NCAA Basketball ROM, I realized how much fun that game could be. But, the two editors available leave something to be desired, not to mention being difficult to get working if you're missing some system files.  Plus, Rushy's editor borks up the sim data.  Thus, in an effort to make the game easier to edit, I decided to start looking for hex locations.  I'll drop everything I find here, updated in this thread and when I'm finished I'll code a TSB Tool type editor for the game.  If anyone wants to contribute, post below and I'll update the thread.  Tonight, I mapped the first set of data...

Main Court Color/Primary Court Logo Color

27 bytes, 1 per team, uses NES hex color palette

Court Colors (1 byte each, follows in a row)
Team01 x1DC0C
Team02 x1DC0D
etc

Away Uniforms (Home is always white)

27 bytes, 1 per team, uses NES hex color palette

Team01 x1DC29
Team02 x1DC2A
etc

Things left to map:

Other logo colors

Uniform colors (I think I know where these are as well)

Sim data

Player data (names, attributes)

Team data (team name and city)

Edited by TecmoTurd

On 4/13/2016 at 5:53 AM, TecmoTurd said:

Well shit...

http://tecmo.puretecmo.com/forum/topic/1581-editing-tecmo-nba-attributes/

Seems like I need to start writing an editor!

I see you've met 20s something Knobbe

It's been a while since i've explored this. What are you looking to do that isn't covered by the emuware editor?

Honestly two things. One, I don't like the import feature. It's got a weird file format. And more important, the emuware editor messes with the same data and moves everything over in different locations. If I could fix that I could deal with the weird import format but that thing kind of bothers me. Also I wanted to try and find the color palettes for the logos to be able to easily swap in logos and what not

53 minutes ago, TecmoTurd said:

I also thought about making something closer to what TSB tool supreme does.  I got caught up on a couple of things in your post and meant to follow up with you at some point but other things kept me busy

I haven't read that stuff for over a decade so it would almost be new to me :)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Honestly, a lot of them.  I tried mapping it myself, but I couldn't make sense of some of it.  I tried doing compares before and after using the old editors and everything gets messed up after the editor applies them.  Also, I think the Sim data gets all messed up and the something like the bottom playlers on the roster get stupid high scores.

Honestly, I'd like to start from square one and get the whole thing mapped out and make a nice editor for it...

• 9 months later...
On 9/9/2016 at 2:06 PM, TecmoTurd said:

Honestly, a lot of them.  I tried mapping it myself, but I couldn't make sense of some of it.  I tried doing compares before and after using the old editors and everything gets messed up after the editor applies them.  Also, I think the Sim data gets all messed up and the something like the bottom playlers on the roster get stupid high scores.

Honestly, I'd like to start from square one and get the whole thing mapped out and make a nice editor for it...

Hi there, I tried using the rabbit.exe editor on the web to recompose the project file for the SNES version--- I re-constructed the rosters, re-adjusted team points for and points against, re-calibrated their 1992 stats to re-distribute individual attributes, etc.

But similar to what tecmoturd said- much of the final product is messed up... -all the players revert to default race value white, all the player "pictures" get left behind in their previous places (like if you move Charles Barkley from PF to SF, his picture stays in the original spot, -during COM v COM mode, players still get a disproportionately high volume of blocked shots regardless of how low you set the players' individual blocking attributes, -the sim does not distribute statistics based on attributes but rather applies all of the stats to the last player on the roster... kind of like the Scott Hastings effect but on steroids and for every team not just Denver. Fixing the ppg / ppa values alone sufficiently fixes team scores on the auto-sim (SKP), but I wouldn't even know where to start to fix the other stuff

These are some of the thoughts that I have for what's wrong with the game itself, but I do not understand programming language whatsoever in order to work on it myself... If I sent somebody the .rpr would you know how to "fill in the gaps" like for their appearances and for the sim data?

Also, do we know whether it would be possible to dive into the ROM to change some of the AI logic such as

-locations on the floor that AI chooses to shoot from (ie choosing to actually shoot 3-pointers, adding corner threes, shooting off the inbounds, etc)

-changing the paths that certain positions run around the floor

-having tall guys (C and PF) "crash the boards" more on both defense and offense, and the clustering of players would require actually having to jump for the rebound

-substituting more

-such as whenever three "units" of fatigue are experienced, so like once the SF PF and C all go from Excellent to Good it substitutes those three, or when the PF goes one unit to good and the C goes two units to average it substitutes those two, etc)

-substituting around foul trouble (such as whenever a player's foul total exceeds the quarter by 2 (3 fouls in the Q1 = substitute, 5 fouls in Q3= substitute, 6 fouls in Q4 = foulout, no restrictions on playing time for this reason)

-adding additional position definitions for lineup variability and substitution purposes

-for example if PG = 0 SG = 1 and SF = 2, a G-F hybrid like Kawhi Leonard would be 1.5, or whatever

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I've been getting into this game lately and would like to have an updated version. I'm willing to help out but sadly I don't know what I'm doing. Do you have a link or guide explaining what tools you're using and what specifically you're looking for? I understand the larger picture of what you're doing, just not the nitty gritty. I have very limited experience of manipulating hex values on the NES Final Fantasy game to change encounters but not much past that. If I get an understanding I could do a little diving for you.

1 hour ago, TecmoTurd said:

Maybe. Last time I asked for something he was charging for it. Not sure it this would be something he'd charity. I asked @jstout via email, we'll see if he can get me the data and I'll write an editor. 

I mean I know this is a full court press I'm layin on ya (SWIDT?) but I was hoping to hear whether or not you had the roms with the AL and NL logos you created for Baseball Stars. 

• 4 months later...
On 10/10/2018 at 1:07 PM, TecmoTurd said:

Maybe. Last time I asked for something he was charging for it. Not sure it this would be something he'd charity. I asked @jstout via email, we'll see if he can get me the data and I'll write an editor. 

What data are you looking for?  I use to play Tecmo NBA Basketball as a kid but it was too easy vs the CPU and later moved on to playing NBA Live 95.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 2:25 PM, Baron von Lector said:

@TecmoTurd Looks like someone solved the mystery of the team Sim-Data without bastardizing the rest of the ROM.

5.png

Milwaukee Bucks better be #1.  Anyone making Tecmo NBA Basketball 2019?  I got 2018 version.  But that's last year early long before Bucks traded for Bledsoe.  Also when making these roms you adding the game picture so it can be uploaded to the mini nes?  I was thinking of buying one of those.

On 4/12/2019 at 1:25 PM, ROBZ said:

Milwaukee Bucks better be #1.  Anyone making Tecmo NBA Basketball 2019?  I got 2018 version.  But that's last year early long before Bucks traded for Bledsoe.  Also when making these roms you adding the game picture so it can be uploaded to the mini nes?  I was thinking of buying one of those. 

Being a Knicks fan, I want to stay away anything NBA19 related... but I may bite the bullet and put out an end-of-season ROM.  I'm currently working on a non-RBI SNES MLB ROM at the moment.  I've attached an image from the Eastern Conference from the same sim-season.  (Note:  sim-data was taken from the end of last year)

Have you checked out my NBA Showdown 2018 for SNES that I put out at the end of last season?

Untitled2.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2019 at 7:33 PM, jstout said:

What data are you looking for?  I use to play Tecmo NBA Basketball as a kid but it was too easy vs the CPU and later moved on to playing NBA Live 95.

Right on with the 'too easy vs the CPU' - great game play but if you didn't win by more than 30 you weren't trying. NBA Live was a great game but sort of easy against the computer too and the edit functions in those were way to time consuming, was hoping someone out there on the internet figured out a better option for NBA. Baseball best MLB to date is still Hardball 5, going on 20+ years.