Dark Souls 3

TheFes75

22 minutes ago, TheFes75 said:

Anyone picking up Dark Souls3 tomorrow? I just finished Bloodborne. Ready for another Souls game! My PS4 gamer tag is:  thefes 

Hell yeah!  However my PS+ expired, so I picked it up for XBOX One instead.  My favorite game series all time...

I've only played about 2 hours worth, and coming off playing Bloodborne the last 2 weeks or so, this games feels a bit faster. Not more difficult, but you really have to be careful of taking "chip" damage from lesser foes, because it feels like the enemies hit hard from the get go, so when you do come across a tough foe, hopefully you haven't used all of you estus flasks from the "chip" damage you took earlier. Otherwise it's a long trek to get back to where you were. I haven't had too many big soul loses yet, (2000 or so) but I know it's coming soon. Anyway if you are thinking of getting Dark Souls 3 or if you've never experienced a "Soul's" game (Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne) then I highly recommend you pick this game up. Nothing more gratifying in a video game than beating a Soul's game, except maybe the first time you beat Mike Tyson, or possibly beating the original Zelda. I'm sure there are others, but a Soul's game is ultimately rewarding, beyond most of those other games. If you haven't tried it yet go for it. Don't need to have played any of the other Soul's games to jump into this one and enjoy it.

• 2 months later...

Just completed every trophy on the PS4.  Was proud that I did it with "almost" no help from "fextralife".  I used the wiki for the Siegward quest line to get an animation and a miracle.  Beyond that I just completed Journey 4 (I guess that's NG++) I only did the 4th play through to get the Siegward line and get the last ending trophy. Great game!  I guess not too many folks here play it. That's too bad the whole "Souls" series is an awesome play.

For those interested I guess they had a Reboot day that started today.  It was a call out to all of those who still have PS3 or XBOX 360 to start playing the original Dark Souls again.  I don't have my PS3 anymore but I guess a lot of people are doing this until the Dark Souls 3 DLC is released. 

If you haven't tried a Souls game before this would be a good time to jump in. There should be many people playing the original right now. Or just buy Dark Souls 3 for your PS4 or XBOX 1

On 6/13/2016 at 1:49 AM, TheFes75 said:

Just completed every trophy on the PS4.  Was proud that I did it with "almost" no help from "fextralife".  I used the wiki for the Siegward quest line to get an animation and a miracle.  Beyond that I just completed Journey 4 (I guess that's NG++) I only did the 4th play through to get the Siegward line and get the last ending trophy. Great game!  I guess not too many folks here play it. That's too bad the whole "Souls" series is an awesome play.

For those interested I guess they had a Reboot day that started today.  It was a call out to all of those who still have PS3 or XBOX 360 to start playing the original Dark Souls again.  I don't have my PS3 anymore but I guess a lot of people are doing this until the Dark Souls 3 DLC is released. 

If you haven't tried a Souls game before this would be a good time to jump in. There should be many people playing the original right now. Or just buy Dark Souls 3 for your PS4 or XBOX 1

You're right, must not be many folks here that play it.  Congrats on the trophies and NG!  I own all the souls games, and I'd order them like below as my favorites.  I haven't yet completed Demon's Souls or Dark Souls 3, just haven't had the time lately but I will eventually.

Dark Souls - my favorite RPG of all time.  I've beaten it 3 times as different classes.  only thing that stinks is you can't respec once you've started!  I have it on 360 (and now XBONE via backwards compatibility)

Dark Souls 2 - almost as good as DS1.  Better in many ways since you can respec and they added some improvements and better DLC, but the game world didn't immerse me quite as much as DS1.  I have it on PS3/PS4 (scholar).

Dark Souls 3 - more of the same greatness.  Game world not as immersive as the previous (maybe I'm just spoiled).  I haven't finished it yet, hasn't drawn me in as much as DS1 or DS2.  I have it on XBONE.  Think I'm about half way through.

Demon's Souls - PS3 only, as you know.  I bought this later on after having beaten DS1/2, so it is clearly a step back graphically/etc.  Haven't gotten very far yet, but eventually I'll run through it.

On 6/14/2016 at 10:25 AM, rmm1976 said:

You're right, must not be many folks here that play it.  Congrats on the trophies and NG!  I own all the souls games, and I'd order them like below as my favorites.  I haven't yet completed Demon's Souls or Dark Souls 3, just haven't had the time lately but I will eventually.

Dark Souls - my favorite RPG of all time.  I've beaten it 3 times as different classes.  only thing that stinks is you can't respec once you've started!  I have it on 360 (and now XBONE via backwards compatibility)

Dark Souls 2 - almost as good as DS1.  Better in many ways since you can respec and they added some improvements and better DLC, but the game world didn't immerse me quite as much as DS1.  I have it on PS3/PS4 (scholar).

Dark Souls 3 - more of the same greatness.  Game world not as immersive as the previous (maybe I'm just spoiled).  I haven't finished it yet, hasn't drawn me in as much as DS1 or DS2.  I have it on XBONE.  Think I'm about half way through.

Demon's Souls - PS3 only, as you know.  I bought this later on after having beaten DS1/2, so it is clearly a step back graphically/etc.  Haven't gotten very far yet, but eventually I'll run through it.

Thanks!

I would have to say my list differs from yours somewhat, but like you and I have said these games are amazing plays!

1. Demon's Souls - I loved the difficulty of this game.  My gaming experience differed from yours probably because I played this first.  I was on to this game the day it came out.  I remember I was home sick from work and had my wife go and pick it up for me.  Once I got it home and played it I was hooked.  I think I beat it 4 times total.  I think it was the hardest of the "Souls" games, maybe because it was the first.  Also the levels didn't have bonfires in the middle of them.  If you died on a level you started at the very beginning.  There were shortcuts if you found them and sometimes the World Tendency would open up another area, but for the most part the level design was much harder.  The World Tendency was not a great feature, but I remember an all black world tendency made the level that much more difficult.  On Halloween they had a special black world tendency night.  The levels were hard as hell. On Christmas they had an all White world tendency and the levels were a lot easier. Also is seemed like there were more NPC Phantoms to fight.

2. Dark Souls 3 - I an thoroughly enjoying this game. Doesn't seem to get boring. Can't wait for the DLC. 

3. Dark Souls 2 - I put hours into this.  Loved the game mechanics. I did not get all of the Trophies, as I seemed to get stuck in a rut of completing the game the same way each time.  Not a lot of difference to the way I played each time.  I think I played too tentative and leveled up quite a bit before moving on.

4. Dark Souls - This is the only Dark Souls game I did not complete. I think at the time I purchased a Dragon Age game as well as I was playing Guild Wars on my computer.  I think it just didn't hold my interest because I had other games I was trying to play at the same time. Also I think I was disappointed that there was no Demon's Souls 2, although it was technically the next version of the game.  I like the game just my playing experience was not as fun as I had with the other 3.

Bloodborne was technically a "Souls game", but I didn't like the lack of weapons and the guns.  The graphics and the way the lighting effects would display the blood soaked clothing was awesome, but for me there was something missing from the "Souls" format. I still liked it but not as much as the "Souls" series

3 hours ago, TheFes75 said:

Bloodborne was technically a "Souls game", but I didn't like the lack of weapons and the guns.  The graphics and the way the lighting effects would display the blood soaked clothing was awesome, but for me there was something missing from the "Souls" format. I still liked it but not as much as the "Souls" series

Agreed 100% about Bloodborne.  It's a very good game in its own right, but not as good as the Souls games.  I actually still haven't beaten Bloodborne or gotten the DLC.  I believe I'm about 3/4 through the main campaign.  Lack of weapons and inability to upgrade armor is annoying.