cubsfan5150

Current State of Online Tecmo

24 posts in this topic

So reading through some of the boards, it looks like little has changed and things might be even worse as far as people getting games in... is this the case?  

Can someone give me a synopsis of how you feel things are going before I jump back in?  I really don't care to deal with the frustration if it isn't getting better, but actually getting worse.

Thanks guys.

Welcome back cubs! I think it's better. We have a fresh influx we haven't seen in awhile. ATA is back and alive, HSTL has a healthy wait list, and we're seeing different people in championships all the time.

9 hours ago, Ol' Dirty Tecmo said:

and we're seeing different people in championships all the time.

Except in WTF. ;)

It's definitely not worse than when you left.  A good owner returning always makes things better, too.  Welcome back!

Things are fine. Since it is an election yeat, it's time to ask - not what your league can do for you, but what you can do for you league. :salute

Seems like it's the same as it has been for the last 5 years.  Rinse/repeat but most of us are still around so it must still be good times.

GTFO currently buttoning up its best overall games played season in the 14 seasons its been around...  the other leagues I'm in wtf and hstl seem to be keeping an on par pace as well.  I just think online tecmo has trimmed the fat at this point and is running lean and tight actually.

On 5/8/2016 at 10:45 AM, oklahoma said:

the other leagues I'm in wtf and hstl seem to be keeping an on par pace as well.  I just think online tecmo has trimmed the fat at this point and is running lean and tight actually.

Or maybe the wrong fat was trimmed? WTF appears to have a high turn over of owners.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:09 AM, regulator088 said:

Or maybe the wrong fat was trimmed? WTF appears to have a high turn over of owners.

WTF has had a lot of turnover considering it is the only remaining WTF league.. As sought after as the spots in the league were supposed to be owners have jumped in and out pretty carelessly, especially in the inaugural season which was pretty mind blowing considering the hype. That said, its a big league, and leagues have turnover, big leagues tend to have more of it. The current group seems pretty damn solid to me. With the slowing down of other leagues I think the commish has been able to focus on WTF a little bit more as well, and foster some members like timbone to really step up in a big way and it keeps thing moving. What wrong fat was trimmed? just curious. BC I'm pretty sure anyone on the waiting list would have got the nod at this point. Its not my favorite league but it def is my favorite dynasty ROM right now.

Tecmo is in a good spot....

I see less whining and wanting to quit over some bad tecmo luck.   Those types like Hake and many others are gone.   I see less trouble makers around also... perhaps it is because this community is aging and maturing.  Perhaps those types of ppl just left for good.... I also think that  many of the people who  jumped around from league to league then quit them quickly are leaving league play completely.  We still have a few of them but with less leagues, participation is generally higher and their choices are limited. If a person quits a league he may be waiting a while before a spot opens up In another and even then he may not be accepted back depending on why and how he quit.

The league play is much better now.  More involvement and interaction.   Not just zombies trying to play in 5 leagues at once with little or no input.

GTFO goes through a season and a draft in record speed and its awesome.  WTF is consistent with its pace, although the off season drags a bit.   with discord, contacting is really quick and easy and there are constant posts and messages left on it. 

So although the community seems smaller, I think it is much better and the camaraderie is the highest that I have ever experienced it.  Also, guys like Bo and kamp are really good commissioners that keep things smooth along with brooks' expertise.   this is a very good time for tecmo.

Agreed. I think the last real stink we had was a false turbo-gate and the anti-jj movement. Considering how competitive we are everyone gets along fine. I think I literally look forward to playing every opponent these days. That's something I've never been able to say. Steady, solid, chill times. 

You guys are alright for a bunch of giant fucking nerds. 

The biggest issue and the bane of old school gaming is Netflix and other streaming stuff.

I can't kick the whole family off to play tecmo any more,  they form a voltron and over power me.

8 minutes ago, segathonsov said:

The biggest issue and the bane of old school gaming is Netflix and other streaming stuff.

I can't kick the whole family off to play tecmo any more,  they form a voltron and over power me.

@segathonsov

Be sneaky and get a QoS (Quality of Service) router if you don't have one...bandwidth limit the needed computers them when you need to play Tecmo. When its constantly buffering just shrug your shoulders and play dumb. :-P But for real you might be able to achieve both good tecmo and Netflix at the same time with some QoS adjustments. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router/

1 hour ago, bruddog said:

@segathonsov

Be sneaky and get a QoS (Quality of Service) router if you don't have one...bandwidth limit the needed computers them when you need to play Tecmo. When its constantly buffering just shrug your shoulders and play dumb. :-P But for real you might be able to achieve both good tecmo and Netflix at the same time with some QoS adjustments. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router/

You evil genius! 

Way back in my roommate days one of my roommates would constantly torrent things and make even internet browsing slower than dial-up and thus tecmo unplayable.

QoS was the solution.  

2 hours ago, Swamp Chicken said:

I agree... larger leagues are fun but the speed of the season and interaction seems to be more with smaller leagues.

What's the biggest reason? The guys who would want to participate in this type of league doesn't include anyone who would want to run this sort of league?

Also, does no one want to do a college league because the entire point is to have some elaborate system and no one wants to/is capable of setting this up?

3 hours ago, Knobbe said:

What's the biggest reason? The guys who would want to participate in this type of league doesn't include anyone who would want to run this sort of league?

Also, does no one want to do a college league because the entire point is to have some elaborate system and no one wants to/is capable of setting this up?

Question 1 : I think the biggest reason is just the amount of free time the average tecmo player has along with the total number of players. I think you can only sustain so many leagues at once. There is significant overlap in all the leagues already.

Question 2 :  That's probably the main reason.

On May 27, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Knobbe said:

Mostly because there is unreleased code out there that was top notch... Makes me sad

6 hours ago, slim_jimmy7 said:

Mostly because there is unreleased code out there that was top notch... Makes me sad

There was a college league for like 1 or 2 seasons.. I forget what it was called.. It used some of the "new" tecmo plays as well, like wild cat O etc..

@oklahoma slim is referring to the old code. I think both were called TCS or something. We've tried multiple times to get the code but it's not available. However, maybe with Madison ending it will resurface. I've never seen it but heard it was the best. From the outside it seems like it was a case of Tecmo "take my ball and going home" but there's two sides to every story so who knows.

On 5/30/2016 at 10:39 AM, Ol' Dirty Tecmo said:

@oklahoma slim is referring to the old code. I think both were called TCS or something. We've tried multiple times to get the code but it's not available. However, maybe with Madison ending it will resurface. I've never seen it but heard it was the best. From the outside it seems like it was a case of Tecmo "take my ball and going home" but there's two sides to every story so who knows.

Maybe it's just easier to whine for eternity about how the TCS was lost forever than to realize that BURNING MORT was created specifically by @DrFrolf to give someone the opportunity to challenge @averagetsbplayer for the code in the RING OF MORT. 

4 hours ago, Knobbe said:

Maybe it's just easier to whine for eternity about how the TCS was lost forever than to realize that BURNING MORT was created specifically by @DrFrolf to give someone the opportunity to challenge @averagetsbplayer for the code in the RING OF MORT. 

Had no idea, that's pretty awesome!