Milwaukee, WI - 04/23/16 - Tecmo Milwaukee

We have an upcoming tournament confirmed for 4/23 in Pewaukee, WI (Suburb of Milwaukee).  Below is the information for the tournament. If you are interested please email me back the registration form that is attached.  (email: [email protected] )

Projected Playing Field 64 players
Full 64 entrants will be competing in round robin of 8 Divisions. Top 4 from each will be put into single elimination tournament for round of 32.
Sweet Sixteen is double elimination.
Projected Entry Fee is $40 
Tecmo Milwaukee Registration form for Tecmo MKE 1.docx
Game Rules: Madison Tournament rules
Minimum 7 games for players.

Teams will be tiered in 4 groups of 7 teams. 8 Lotto balls will be picked from before each game to determine which tier teams will be played. (1 in 8 chance for Tier 1 teams to be picked). Coin toss after gives player choice of team or controller. Can only use team 1 time during round robin play. Resets in tourney.

Entry Deadline is 4/9
Address: N29 W24483 Watertown Rd, Pewaukee, WI 53072
Email address: [email protected]
Facebook:  Tecmo Milwaukee
twitter: https://twitter.com/Tecmo_Milwaukee 

Top 8 places paid out. (assuming full 64 spots filled at $40 entry fee payouts will be.)
Champion: $900
Runner Up: $500
Third: $250
Fourth: $150
Fifth: $75
Sixth: $75
Seventh: $40
Eighth: $40

This will be a well organized tournament and run with efficiency. Goal is to have website created by Summer. Goal is to have 2 tournaments a year (April and November).

Thank you,

Jon Stocks
"Hardy Nickerson"

• DFM changed the title to Milwaukee, WI - 04/23/16 - Tecmo Milwaukee
  • DFM pinned this topic

Long Live Tecmo.  With Madison shutting down, this is exactly what is needed to keep TECMO alive and kicking.

This tournament falls on my birthday so I'm pleading "iffy" on my participation.  I'll be telling my brother Kyle about it since he has the tournament fever coming off of his 4th place finish in Madison.

I also want to attend for the "scratch my back... " scenario.  We have Iowa Tecmo 3 (reboot) coming in August and want a strong showing from the Wisconsin crowd.

Will let you know Jon.

There has been an awakening.......Have you felt it?   Long live Tecmo is right!   Between Discord and some folks stepping up with tournaments, Tecmo lives.  I have had my eye on the Iowa tournament as well.   Just a stone's throw across the pond.....or should I say field. 

Edited by Darth RockMan

Just now, Coconuts said:

Looks great, but I don't like the idea of having ONE knockout round after group play before double elim kicks in. Should just go double elim all the way from group on

Yea, makes sense. This is the scariest part to me: Minimum 7 games for players. If at 64 players, that is near 500 games!

51 minutes ago, davefmurray said:

Yea, makes sense. This is the scariest part to me: Minimum 7 games for players. If at 64 players, that is near 500 games!

Ya that's ~186 hrs of tecmo at 25 minutes a game. 

10 TV's= ~18  hrs

20 TV's = ~9 hrs

30 TV's = ~ 6 hrs

Hope you have a lot of TV's

I am having a conversation about the bandwidth of the tournament and X-promotion with GBLAN's retro events later today.  I am able to supply up to 10 fully functional setups to help through this.

1 hour ago, bruddog said:

Ya that's ~186 hrs of tecmo at 25 minutes a game. 

10 TV's= ~18  hrs

20 TV's = ~9 hrs

30 TV's = ~ 6 hrs

Hope you have a lot of TV's

Best possible scenario - 32 stations, 2 tvs per group.. Otherwise just put guys in 4 or 5 man groups, do round robin, then top 32 overall records advance or something..

Thank you for the replies and I would like to address some of your questions and concerns.  First and foremost I am not a Madisoner looking to capitalize on a sudden need for a WI tournament.  I have fully communicated with Josh and Chet and asked for their guidance. I came to them before word was announced that this years tournament would be Madison's last asking for their help and who can help me.   The reality is Milwaukee is a centralized location between Chicago and Madison and is 4 hours from Iowa, Michigan, Green Bay, and 5 hours from Indy.  We have had a solid 32 person tournament for the past 7 years but I would like to expand bigger.  In order to do so I needed to find a partner to host.  Boomers Sports Bar easily can hold 250+ players. It's 3 minutes from the Interstate and has hotels close by.  All money is going to payouts, food and drink for competitors and administrative costs. 

TV's, Consoles and Games.  Currently 15 Systems, TV's and Games have been procured with the assistance of GBLAN and other's commitments.  Since the creation of this page I have 24 verbal commits.  With a number of players that have played in tournaments nationwide that I have met over the years in Madison. Goal is to obtain 22 systems.  Hard start at 10AM.  I have resources to obtain more.  

Feedback from those signed up have requested the change to Double Elimination tourney after Round Robin play.  This change has since been made.

My background.  The reality is most of you do not know who I am and I don't expect you to take my word on blind faith.  So here is who I am.  I have played in Madison and smaller local Wisconsin tournaments and can hold my own against anyone in the game we all love.  Professionally I manage 70+ IT Consultants for one of the largest firms in America I'm professional in every facet of business and in life and will do so with this.  I can't replicate Madison nor is that my intent but with their help and others I can present a tournament that is well organized, efficient, and fun experience for those who love to play.  I am not above taking advice or suggestions, but I do want to have it's own identity.This is not about me living off of Josh, Chet's, Buffalo's, Iowa's, Green Bay's, Cincy's, and Omaha's successes.  I will make this into a destination tournament, and it will grow into something that others look forward to in April and November.  

Going forward I will not have this tournament on dates of others tournaments.  To the Buffalo crew I apologize.

Reason for Date:  Midwest weather is unpredictable.  April is safe for travel and more importantly March Madness is over.  

On 3/9/2016 at 8:19 PM, Tecmo Milwaukee said:
Full 64 entrants will be competing in round robin of 8 Divisions. Top 4 from each will be put into single elimination tournament for round of 32.
Minimum 7 games for players

Is this the format you've been using in the past? If you have 64 people along with the double elim it seems like you'd be lucky to finish by 8pm and very well could stretch into much later. I think it's great you want to guarantee guys a large number of games but it seems like you could potentially run into time issues.

I agree with the majority of people here, that guaranteeing that many games will take up way too much time. My vote would be for round robin with 16 groups of 4 players, with top 16 advancing, then double elim from there on out.

And I'll be emailing shortly as a "definitely maybe, but a bit more likely".

3 hours ago, Super Duper said:

I agree with the majority of people here, that guaranteeing that many games will take up way too much time. My vote would be for round robin with 16 groups of 4 players, with top 16 advancing, then double elim from there on out.

And I'll be emailing shortly as a "definitely maybe, but a bit more likely".

I don't like that idea either. If you're going 16 groups, and only top guy advances from each, you may see several 3-1 players get shafted.  If you're going 16 groups, take top 2 from each and make it double elim for the 32 left.

Edit: not to mention - if I got tecmoed and lost in group play, going 3-1 with a 40-50 point diff., losing my spot to a guy who went 2-2 with a negative point differential would grind my gears.

Edited by Coconuts

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't like that idea either. If you're going 16 groups, and only top guy advances from each, you may see several 3-1 players get shafted.  If you're going 16 groups, take top 2 from each and make it double elim for the 32 left.

Edit: not to mention - if I got tecmoed and lost in group play, going 3-1 with a 40-50 point diff., losing my spot to a guy who went 2-2 with a negative point differential would grind my gears.

Excellent point. 

It's official, GBLAN will be teaming up with the organizers of Tecmo Milwaukee in April, to help put on a great tournament! We will be providing multiple setups including CRT screens, NES Consoles, controllers and copies of Tecmo Super Bowl!  We have 10 functional NES systems plus cartridges + power strips and controllers to spare.  The challenge will be the CRT transportation, but I think we can get 8 screens for sure in our vehicle.

We've started reaching out to the community members, shared the posts in multiple Facebook groups, and will be reaching out to the local game stores for some additional exposure.

We also have the ability to setup a stream or local recording capture of one of the stations if needed.

This will be a great opportunity to network with other Tecmo players in our state.  We are also looking to do a friendly mini tournament in Green Bay a couple weeks out  to help warm up the players prior to this grand event, and do a nice dry run of the equipment prior.  Stay tuned for that!

-Trojan

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I've never personally done one of these, but I imagine it's one of the hard parts - balancing trying to ensure people have fun and get enough games in for their buck vs fairness.

Yeah that 4 person tournament at Boehmer's(not run by me at the time) with a clone console + generic contollers attached to an HDTV comes to mind.

Thanks for the questions.  Noonan, currently today (40 days out from tourney) we stand at 26 confirmed entrants and 20 individuals who have contacted me stating they most likely will be playing but checking their schedules.   We have a number of invites (300+) yet to send out to the Tecmo Community based on individuals giving us their email addresses for future tournaments.  These will be sent out this week.  Assuming we have the 64 players committed we will have 8 divisions of 8 players.  Playing a true round robin.  The top 4 from each division will move to a single elimination tournament.  Point differential will determine seeding for winners of each division with same record and seeds there after. We will have 16+ stations (targeting 20) to fire through the round robin.  Once all 64 players have been identified I have a group selected that will help in pairing up the divisions to be sure they are balanced with talent.  We will have contingency plans should we have to field of 48.  We are working setting up streaming the tournament as well.  

As for the Tiers of Teams.  28 teams rolled into 4 Tiers of 7 teams.  There will be 7 lotto balls that will be picked from before each game to determine what Tier the teams will be picked from.  There will be only 1 ball of the 7 that will be Tier 1 teams.  The remaining 6 will be 2 balls of each number from Tier 2-4.  Once the Tier has been named, coin flip ensues with Winner of coin flip picking Teams with opponent selecting there team or controller.  (Received positive feedback based on this).  This will speed up Team selection and perhaps spark some new selections to be called.  Once a player picks a matchup during the Round Robin, they can't call the same matchup again during round robin.  ie Dolphins VS Chargers can't be called by the same player. 

Regulator:  we will be sure to update the number of entries for those of you who have to travel.  I do have hotel information available if you would like for me to send it I can. 

If you are wondering who the individuals are that are confirmed.  Of the 26 so far 20 of them have played in multiple tournaments with success in Madison, Tundra, Cincy and others. So it's a veteran group who have tournament experience. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.  If you are on Facebook send me a friend request to Tecmo Milwaukee.   I have been giving updates on there as well.  This site is firewalled for me at work while Facebook is not.  

11 hours ago, Tecmo Milwaukee said:

As for the Tiers of Teams.  28 teams rolled into 4 Tiers of 7 teams.  There will be 7 lotto balls that will be picked from before each game to determine what Tier the teams will be picked from.  There will be only 1 ball of the 7 that will be Tier 1 teams.  The remaining 6 will be 2 balls of each number from Tier 2-4.  Once the Tier has been named, coin flip ensues with Winner of coin flip picking Teams with opponent selecting there team or controller.  (Received positive feedback based on this).  This will speed up Team selection and perhaps spark some new selections to be called.  Once a player picks a matchup during the Round Robin, they can't call the same matchup again during round robin.  ie Dolphins VS Chargers can't be called by the same player. 

Sent Jon a message on Facebook, asking how the 28 teams are grouped (which teams are in each group of 4).