Des Moines, IA - 08/13/16 - Iowa Tecmo 3

noonan

Iowa Tecmo 3 falls on the same date as the opening weekend of the Iowa State Fair.  Those traveling from out of state might be in for some entertainment after the tournament.

Once our event gets large enough, the Iowa State Fair will sculpture a butter tecmo player.  Preferably LT.

Just had a couple more sign up.  That puts us at a firm 30 players and we are still a full 3 months away. New player from Cedar Rapids, Iowa and another from Ames, Iowa.

I think there are hundreds of players out there, but just don't know our community exists.  If they happen to google seach, they will find it and join our community, but so may people marked TSB as long forgotten.

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt I would consider myself a top player... however... Kyle and I were talking this evening.... and had a novel idea.

For Iowa Tecmo 3, after the main event.... we are considering a 2 person tournament.  We would allow participants to choose a teammate, and then play a regulation TSB game against 2 other players.  Exact rules pending, but each 2 person team would be divided by offense and defense, possibly switching at half.

Player 1A would be on offense vs Player 2A, then once sides change (after punt, turnover, or touchdown) then Player 1B would be vs Player 2B.

We had this concept at Lincoln in 2014 and was pretty fun.  This would not overshadow our main event of single player domination of the tournament bracket, but would be an experiment on how a 2-person combination would perform through a bracket.

21 minutes ago, noonan said:

I doubt I would consider myself a top player... however... Kyle and I were talking this evening.... and had a novel idea.

For Iowa Tecmo 3, after the main event.... we are considering a 2 person tournament.  We would allow participants to choose a teammate, and then play a regulation TSB game against 2 other players.  Exact rules pending, but each 2 person team would be divided by offense and defense, possibly switching at half.

Player 1A would be on offense vs Player 2A, then once sides change (after punt, turnover, or touchdown) then Player 1B would be vs Player 2B.

We had this concept at Lincoln in 2014 and was pretty fun.  This would not overshadow our main event of single player domination of the tournament bracket, but would be an experiment on how a 2-person combination would perform through a bracket.

TECMO TAG TEAM! This is a glorious idea! How is this not a thing already?!

Kyle and I discussed this at length. We have not yet presented the final proposal to the Iowa Tecmo 3 board of directors, but this is how we anticipate this to play out.

We plan to post this on our website and on the top of this forum page when we get it final.

Remember this is an auxiliary tournament... to be played after the main event. The one player tourney is still our flagship format of this tournament.

You can choose your own partner.  We feel this would be better than a random partner draw.  There will definitely be some strong teams, but perhaps a lone wolf will take a scrub and upset a dynamic duo.  Anyone that wants to participate but does not have a preferred teammate can simply call on anyone to team up with them.  We feel the "bring your own teammate" will bring more spirit (and players) to the event.

Legend:

Team 1, player 1 = 1A --\ ___>  same team

Team 1, player 2 = 1B --/

Team 2, player 1 = 2A --\ ___>  same team

Team 2, player 2 = 2B --/

Each player 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B must be on offense for one half and on defense the alternate half.

Offense consists of: Kick-off return, Offensive play calling and execution, Punts, Field Goals and Extra Point attempts.

Defense consists of: Kick-offs, Defensive play calling and execution, Punt-Returns, Field Goal and Extra Point defense.

1A hands the controller to 1B (and vice/versa) during idle transitions between offense and defense roles.

Teammates can talk/whisper to each other during the duration of the game, however the physical placement of each team must be represented in a way where cheating is mitigated.  Tip-offs are also strictly prohibited (tip-offs are when 1A overhears 2A/2B on a play call selection and 1A conveys that information to teammate 1B for an advantage).

1) Coin toss: makes no matter who calls it, just call it in the air

2) Coin toss team WINNER automatically becomes controller 1 and then must choose the two TSB teams (ex: BUF vs HOU)

2) Coin toss team LOSER has 2 options:

a ) Selects the TSB team of choice (ex: BUF)   or...

b ) Selects the player match-ups (ex: 1st half - 1A off vs 2B def and 1B def vs 2A off) remember, these roles swap in the 2nd half, as in this example, 1A will sit against 2B and that will not change in 2nd half.  Only your off and def roles will change at half.

3) Coin toss team WINNER executes option a ) or b ) that coin toss team LOSER did not select.

4) Pre-game playbooks can be customized.  Each teammate can have input on their team playbook to suit an overall team strength since you cannot change playbook at half.

5) START GAME in pre-season mode

6) In-game coin toss will determine kick-off and receive team (as standard)

7) Pre-game designated offense player will take his controller vs pre-game designated defensive player.

All other TSB Tournament Game Rules will still apply.

Cory and I threw around the idea of allowing the losing team at half time to have the option of switching opponents at half. Example, if 1A was vs 1B and was blowing him away, they could then switch opponents and make it 2A vs 1B. Only problem we found with this idea was that theoretically, one player would play offense the entire game and his teammate would only play defense. We wanted to make it as simple as possible which is why we figured no switching opponents once the game started. Kind of lets a guy get some payback offensively or defensively against someone who may have gotten lucky against them the first half. I feel this could bring about several new styles of tournament to the Tecmo community. Another fun idea I just thought of while writing this could be a 4 man random draw team. You draw your 4 man team, random draw your quarter that you would play, and you play your quarter both offense and defense. You wouldn't know who your teammates are or your opponent for your quarter.

11 hours ago, thegamer1185 said:

Cory and I threw around the idea of allowing the losing team at half time to have the option of switching opponents at half. Example, if 1A was vs 1B and was blowing him away, they could then switch opponents and make it 2A vs 1B. Only problem we found with this idea was that theoretically, one player would play offense the entire game and his teammate would only play defense. We wanted to make it as simple as possible which is why we figured no switching opponents once the game started. Kind of lets a guy get some payback offensively or defensively against someone who may have gotten lucky against them the first half. I feel this could bring about several new styles of tournament to the Tecmo community. Another fun idea I just thought of while writing this could be a 4 man random draw team. You draw your 4 man team, random draw your quarter that you would play, and you play your quarter both offense and defense. You wouldn't know who your teammates are or your opponent for your quarter.

FYI thegamer1185 is kyle who got 4th at madison...

I don't like random draw and playing a single quarter.  Maybe another idea for another venue.  I bet the Kumite might think about adopting a format like that.

What I do like is this team competition idea. It gets me thinking about the teams that could be good (really good).

For example (just examples)

@Ones11fahzu & @regulator088

@mort1237 & @red98sethuthut

@holzy11 & @sonofpatbeach

@justinpeters51 & @hawkeye98

@modeezie & @toolie

@Coconuts & @ Joe M.

@noonan & @thegamer1185

@Tecmo Psycho & @Ryan11p

@Knobbe & Luke C

@purplehaze & @Scienceguy43

@vogtcd11 & @bigmv54 and/or JVogt

On 6/9/2016 at 9:55 AM, noonan said:

I don't like random draw and playing a single quarter.  Maybe another idea for another venue.  I bet the Kumite might think about adopting a format like that.

What I do like is this team competition idea. It gets me thinking about the teams that could be good (really good).

@modeezie & @toolie

@Coconuts & @ Joe M.

@noonan & @thegamer1185

@Tecmo Psycho & @Ryan11p

@Knobbe & Luke C

I'd pay just to watch a tournament with these theoretical tandems.

On 6/9/2016 at 9:55 AM, noonan said:

@modeezie & @toolie

@Coconuts & @ Joe M.

@noonan & @thegamer1185

@Tecmo Psycho & @Ryan11p

@Knobbe & Luke C

...and then there's me. The scrub that would beg for a partner.

Joking aside, there's definitely a lot of promise with this format, and could be pretty fun.

@RetroNathan, who would you pair up with to take the tag team title?  We all have our compliment/counterpart that would be that tag team partner that would beat the competition.....  Who is yours?

13 hours ago, noonan said:

@RetroNathan, who would you pair up with to take the tag team title?  We all have our compliment/counterpart that would be that tag team partner that would beat the competition.....  Who is yours?

No clue to be honest. Just in the few years of playing, I know that @justinpeters51 and I had similar styles, @ricor33 and I have seemed to match up well, as did Rik and I. Honestly though, not sure. Each one of those players is slightly better than me, so not sure I'd have a big chance in the fight of getting a premier player to tag with.

• 1 month later...

Many people I've talked to and chatted with online are on the fence about attending Iowa Tecmo 3.  I can't blame you.  It's summer, things happen.

All the same, if you think there is a chance you might make it, be sure to pre-register on our website.  www.iowatecmo.com/registration.htm