(NES) 1978-1993 Tecmo Super Bowl Updated/Juiced/SuperCharged

qbvikings

1978-1993 Tecmo Super Bowl Updated/Juiced/SuperCharged

Now that the winter sports lull is almost here, I have created the ultimate Tecmo Super Bowl 1978-1993 set, including alternate roms for strike year and seasons where multiple qbs made an impact.

Can you take the 86 49ers to the Super Bowl with a young Jerry Rice and no Joe? 

Can you steer the 84 Bears to the Super Bowl with a pair of the worst QBs to ever grace the Tecmo field?

See what the 1991-1993 rosters really looked like with these roms with 100% accurate rosters.

Hundreds of hours of research and development have gone into these and I hope you enjoy as much as I do.

Roms include 

1978 Season

1979 Season

1980 Season

1981 Season

1982 Season

1983 Season

1984 Season (2 versions)

1985 Season

1986 Season (2 versions)

1987 Season (2 versions)

1988 Season

1989 Season

1990 Season

1991 Season

1992 Season

1993 Season

Edited by qbvikings

Juicy work.  Just curious, what is the definition of juiced and supercharged?  Does this mean that difficulty has been turned to 11?  When playing through seasons, I usually expect cake-walks through the first handful of weeks.  I started a season with the '87 Steelers, and I barely squeaked a 41-35 overtime slobberknocker against the 49ers in week 1.  I dread playing  past week 3, now.  Ha ha.

Then again, it was the '87 Steelers.

Edited by Baron von Lector

3 hours ago, Baron von Lector said:

Juicy work.  Just curious, what is the definition of juiced and supercharged?  Does this mean that difficulty has been turned to 11?  When playing through seasons, I usually expect cake-walks through the first handful of weeks.  I started a season with the '87 Steelers, and I barely squeaked a 41-35 overtime slobberknocker against the 49ers in week 1.  I dread playing  past week 3, now.  Ha ha.

Then again, it was the '87 Steelers.

Thanks! Yes max juice is applied so all regular season games play like playoff games. You are luck you got the 49ers in week 1. Even with this juice , if you played the 87 Bucs, you would likley blow them out as their defense is weak and offense is mistake prone.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Shuler.

My Rock.  My Everything.

TecmoSuperBowl1980ShulerGoesBananas.pngTecmoSuperBowl1980ShulerGW.pngTecmoSuperBowl1980Mickey>Explosion.png

The year?  The year was 1980.

And those were the final 2 games of the regular season... Not only did you go bananas in that OT game against the Saints - catching 8 for 203, IN THE FIRST HALF (and then some) - you snagged the Game-Winner AS TIME EXPIRED a week later, and in the process (of more than doubling your season RECPT & YARD-total: TecmoSuperBowl1980Mickey<Explosion.png) PROPELLED us to our 1st Playoff berth*...

TecmoSuperBowl1980EastStndngs.png

Edited by Bolt
(*went 8-8 in 1978, and 8-8 in 1979... in Tecmo, as IRL)

On 5/15/2016 at 3:23 PM, Bolt said:

Shuler.

My Rock.  My Everything.

TecmoSuperBowl1980ShulerGoesBananas.pngTecmoSuperBowl1980ShulerGW.pngTecmoSuperBowl1980Mickey>Explosion.png

The year?  The year was 1980.

And those were the final 2 games of the regular season... Not only did you go bananas in that OT game against the Saints - catching 8 for 203, IN THE FIRST HALF (and then some) - you snagged the Game-Winner AS TIME EXPIRED a week later, and in the process (of more than doubling your season RECPT & YARD-total: TecmoSuperBowl1980Mickey<Explosion.png) PROPELLED us to our 1st Playoff berth*...

TecmoSuperBowl1980EastStndngs.png

this is so awesome!

These are my first time playing juiced roms and I struggled even playing one quarter as the 1988 Bills. I figured I would use the 85 Bears to get used to the juice. Well by week 7 I'm undefeated and coming off a 73-13 win over the Packers. At this point I'm thinking the week 13 matchup with the Dolphins may be the only thing keeping me from going 16-0. I play Minnesota week 8 and lost 43-15 with 5 interceptions and my defense gave up almost 500 yards. Funny how quickly my undefeated season ended.

Long story short, these roms are awesome.

On 5/31/2016 at 6:23 PM, Disengage said:

These are my first time playing juiced roms and I struggled even playing one quarter as the 1988 Bills. I figured I would use the 85 Bears to get used to the juice. Well by week 7 I'm undefeated and coming off a 73-13 win over the Packers. At this point I'm thinking the week 13 matchup with the Dolphins may be the only thing keeping me from going 16-0. I play Minnesota week 8 and lost 43-15 with 5 interceptions and my defense gave up almost 500 yards. Funny how quickly my undefeated season ended.

Long story short, these roms are awesome.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

It was 1988.  The moon stood still, and the night was bright.

TecmoSuperBowl1988>beng.pngTecmoSuperBowl1988>krieg.png

TecmoSuperBowl1988AFCe.pngTecmoSuperBowl1988AFCp.pngTecmoSuperBowl1988>GIA.png

On 6/4/2016 at 2:45 PM, Bolt said:

The PLAYOFFS will haunt you.

Chil', please.

It was three years later:  The moon stayed still, and the night was still bright.....

TecmoSuperBowl1991OT>cle.pngTecmoSuperBowl1991>buf.png

TecmoSuperBowl1991AFCe.pngTecmoSuperBowl1991AFCp.pngTecmoSuperBowl1991>dal.png

On 6/4/2016 at 2:45 PM, Bolt said:

The PLAYOFFS will haunt you.

Chil', please.

TecmoSuperBowl1991aToon.png

Edited by Bolt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Holy crap... I'm trying to hang in there with the 5-1 Seahawks vs the '83 Raiders (6-0, with a ridiculous point differential), but it's hopeless. After two resets (down 35-0 and then 28-0), I managed a sorta-competitive 49-28 loss, but even that involved dumb luck throwing blind passes a few times as I tried to fight off their light-speed pass rush. I wound up with zero rushing yards for the game (though Warner did have one 10-yard run), and the Raiders must have sacked me a dozen times for 170 yards in losses. How the hell am I going to get by this team? If I wasn't able to return kicks for decent yardage, this game would have been about 70-7.

Okay, so the only season that could have been given the Juiced treatment without a great deal of an overhaul of the gameplay would probably have been 1994.  1976 and 1977 both still operated under a 14-game schedule instead of 16, and 1995-1998?  Well, I think there might be Tecmo Super Bowl III on SNES to effectively juice up and supercharge.  I suppose we could do 1999-2001 as well, but only if we can make the decision to pretend the Cleveland Browns were never there (at least until 2002 when the 32-team format on NES was resolved).

I do know for a fact, however, that anything prior to 1976 would be fairly difficult--especially 1966-1969.  Although I do believe they may have had some roms dedicated to those two seasons already.  I don't know.

So I looked it up, and I decided that I would tackle each of these seasons one year at a time.  But with a mission:  I am going to help every single football team that has to this very day finally win their very first Lombardi trophy.  In addition, I am going to at least preserve some semblance of some of the most notable Super Bowl dynasties from this period of time, specifically, prior to 1978, had never won a Super Bowl before still win at least one Lombardi.  And for you Miami Dolphins fans, I'm gonna try and change Dan Marino's fate by winning him a Vince Lombardi Trophy.  So as such, here are the teams I plan to win Super Bowls with year-by-year:

1978:  Minnesota Vikings:  The Vikings from this period of time is not, by any means, one of the most impressive units out there (in fact, only the Cardinals, Falcons, and Lions have had worse eras among all ten teams that went without winning one during this sixteen-year period).  But, this would be Fran Tarketon's final season, so I plan on helping him ride off into the sunset with a Lombardi.

1979:  Atlanta Falcons:  Similar to the Vikings, the Atlanta Falcons simply were not the greatest team out there (although they would win their only division title the following year during this era, as well as home-field advantage all throughout).  Why am I singling this year out for this team?  Because while they weren't very good (heck, they had a losing record), the division champion--the eventual NFC Champion Los Angeles Rams--won the division with a mere 9-7 record.  The Falcons had a 6-10 record, so it's not outside the realm of possibility for this team to potentially steal the division title away.

1980:  Philadelphia Eagles:  Man...I hate doing this because I hate the Eagles.  But alas; they never won a Lombardi, so I don't have much of a choice in the matter.  This is also the only season where the Eagles would win their division during the 78-93 era.

1981:  San Diego Chargers:  I once watched the entire spinoff series of America's Game: The Missing Rings (depressing as hell, but rather insightful), and while the best of the Dan Fouts era was 1979, 1981 was gauged as their best and final shot at a Lombardi trophy (specifically for Dan Fouts).  It basically came down to 79 and 81 in deciding what to do with the Falcons, and I decided that if I was going to help the Falcons to win a Lombardi, I better do it when the competition is significantly lighter.  So, since I gave the Falcons 1979, I decided to give the Chargers 1981.

NOTE:  I am aware too that the Philadelphia Eagles made the playoffs in both 1979 and 1980.  The Falcons, meanwhile, only 1980.  So I may consider switching the two seasons.

1982:  St. Louis Cardinals:  While a strike-shortened season, it was also the only season where the Cardinals even made the playoffs during this era--and yes, they were one-and-done in the playoffs.  Ergo, this is the only alternative selection I've got.

1983:  Washington Redskins:  This becomes so much easier since I am not a big Raiders fan anyways.  And the Redskins--at least until the Super Bowl, anyways--were supposed to be incredible.  And had they won, we might be talking about the '83 Redskins as being arguably the greatest team in franchise history.  Plus, '82, '87, and '91 are gonna go to different teams anyways, making this the only season where a team that established a dynasty for itself during this era wins in a year that they didn't win.

1984:  Miami Dolphins:  Any of you Dolphin fans out there that wished Dan Marino was able to win a Super Bowl ring?  Well, case in point.

1985:  Chicago Bears:  Duh!

1986:  New York Giants:  Again, duh!

1987:  Cleveland Browns:  I know; the '86 Browns are the team everybody believes had the best shot at winning a Super Bowl.  But I didn't want to deny the '86 Giants their Lombardi, and it's not like the '87 Browns didn't come close to getting there in 1987 anyways.

1988:  Cincinnati Bengals:  The closest anybody came to upsetting Joe Montana in a Super Bowl, and they probably should have won that game anyways.  And with 1981 taken, I'm gonna have to give the Bengals this year to change their fortunes.

1989:  San Francisco 49ers:  Duh!

1990:  Buffalo Bills:  All Scott Norwood needed to do is kick it down the middle, and the Bills would have gone down in history as one of the all-time great Super Bowl champions.  I'm gonna rectify that.

1991:  Detroit Lions:  Since this was the team's only playoff victory in the entire Super Bowl era, it makes sense to take them even further and make them Super Bowl champions.

1992:  Dallas Cowboys:  Yes, I know the team had already won a couple of Lombardi's; but that was a different dynasty with a completely different roster altogether (that's also why I avoided giving the Raiders or Steelers any further compensation; they already established themselves as legends in 1974-1976 anyways).

1993:  Houston Oilers:  After they totally bumbled the Wild Card round against the Bills the prior season and were put on notice, I'm gonna be putting all the stops to make sure the Oilers go all the way and avoid the fate of relocating to Tennessee and replacing the franchise brand altogether with the Titans.  Warren Moon versus Troy Aikman.  This one is gonna be epic!

And if we're ever gonna get 1994, the most I'm gonna do is make the Super Bowl Steve Young vs. Joe Montana.

Okay, I'm gonna get started on the 1978 season, and will try and win one with the Minnesota Vikings.  Here's the play-by-play!

In my week 1 matchup against the New Orleans Saints, I kicked off to the Saints where my kicking team forced a fumble and recovered deep in enemy territory.  However, I couldn't capitalize in the end-zone and settled for a field goal--Tarkenton's first pass was blocked, while my running attack failed to reach the end zone.  So now I'm up 3-0.

I kicked off normally where the Saints threw an incomplete pass.  But he took advantage of an opening by going for a run play, but I stopped him just a yard short of a first down.  I was, however, able to get the stop in against Archie Manning when I saw his right flank exposed and that he was heading for a run play.  So I took control of the defender on the defense's portside to completely immobilize him, forcing a 3-and-out.  He punted, and now I have the ball back.

A deep throw from Tarkenton to Young got me back into field goal range right away.  I tried running one in for a first down, but at 3-and-1, I threw one to an open receiver against the blitz and I got the touchdown.  Up 10-0.

I got an incredibly deep sack.  I then stuffed a couple of runs and got a safety.  After a deep throw, I was able to get a big run off of Foreman for a touchdown.  Up 19-0.  Galbret finally got the Saints a first down after a fairly decent Kickoff return.  I forced a fumble off of Muncie with the accurate blitz package, but the Saints were able to recover the fumble, and Harris was able to run it all the way down to our own 2-yard line.  I allowed Muncie to score, so now the Saints are on the scoreboard 19-7 with 2 minutes to go exactly.  Luckily, I got Foreman to get an excellent run in all the way to the Saints' 20.  I made some stall runs and proceeded all the way to the Saints' 1-yard line with just 1 second to go (I used a timeout).  I then triggered a pass play, but ran Tarkenton down the middle instead for a touchdown.  At halftime, the score is thus:

snap0001.bmp

I received the opening kickoff and I quickly threw a couple passes to Sammy White for a touchdown, now up 33-7.  Archie Manning took back to pass, but waited too long as Marshall forced a sack.  Nothing much else came of that drive, so I then threw a couple of good throws to get myself back into scoring range.  Tarkenton made a run for 8, and fumbled the ball into the end zone, and threw an incomplete pass to put himself to 3rd & 2.  Foreman got the first down and thensome for me, and then Tarkenton threw one down to the endzone for a touchdown to White.  Now up 40-7, and had essentially won the match before the 4th quarter.

But on the subsequent kickoff, Chandler was able to take the ball all the way down midfield.  But because Archie Manning won't throw the ball, I keep successfully stuffing their run game and the Saints were forced to punt it away as time expired is the 3rd quarter.  So from this point onwards, I try to protect the massive lead as much as possible, playing keep-away as it were.  But eventually, with just over a minute left to play, I did reach the endzone for my final score of the game, now 47-7.  But once again, the Viking Defense bumbled when we forced an Archie Manning fumble, and the Saints scored their final touchdown off the recovery.  The final stats are as thus:

snap0002.bmp