(NES) Blades of Steel - Olympic Hockey Edition

Baron von Lector

Blades of Steel - Olympic Hockey Edition

View File

This is a ROM edit of the original Blades of Steel for the NES, published originally in 1988, but with an Olympic twist to it.  Instead of featuring eight professional teams, this ROM features eight countries from around the world, to include:  United States, Japan, Switzerland, Canada, England, Russia, Germany, and France. 

Along with changing the team names, I've edited the uniform colors as well (Canada vs. France depicted the attached screenshots).

The acutal gameplay hasn't been changed.  This is strictly a presentation modification.

Enjoy!

bos3.png

bos1.png

bos2.png

bos4.png

Cool.  I've seen competing theories about Blades of Steel and the characteristics of the teams.  Some say the only differences between the teams are the uniform colors, but others say the teams have real, unique attributes -- you have a fast team, good shooters, good defenders, good fighters, balanced, etc.

Since you've clearly dug into the bowels of this game, do you have any insight into this?

I saw an authentic-looking graphic (like it was from a later edition game manual or something) online somewhere that detailed the qualities of each team, but I've only seen this graphic posted at ONE location, and it's grainy, and there seems to be a mountain of people on the other side who say every team is the same except for color.

I've only chipped away at the surface of the ROM.  This ROM was a result of "I'm going to procrastinate doing my Calculus work.  I think I'll edit Blades of Steel."  At first, I just changed the names.  Then after switching my teaspoon for a tablespoon for digging, I changed uniform colors.  Although, changing attributes would be a good way to make this ROM more accurate, depending on each country's strengths and weaknesses.

@kidlavington Are you really laughing, or is that a figure of speech?  I should consider myself lucky that I didn't add Australia to the mix.  Regardless, I chose the teams that I did for a reason.  Keep up.

Representation.  Every world-hockey variation ROM that I've ever seen contain the same teams.  USA, Canada, Russia, and a handful of northern European countries.  It's always the same teams.  I spread out my selection so it would appeal to a wider range of players.  Hence, the appearances of England, Japan, and France.