Pro Football Focus Let Down

Lamefest

So I've always used Pro Football Focus to do my attribute rating of players and depth charts for ROMs.  Their stats have always been phenomenal, especially their Snap data.  I was mega excited to get rolling on a post-season 2015 ROM. I also just completed a comprehensive rating system of all the Offensive Players from 2007-2014. I'm ready to get rolling on the Defensive Players for a series of ROMs that would have player ratings that all coincided.  

Just went to renew my subscription to their Premium Stats, and the Premium Stats are no longer available.  They had some other "Player Grades" option.  They did disclose that it wasn't premium stats, but the screenshot they showed had some snap data and 1-100 Player Ratings.  I figured this would be better than nothing, so I slapped $20 down for it.  It's terrible.  It's ratings don't even seem to correlate to their old ratings.  They're obviously not cumulative of the season as Le'Veon Bell and Marshawn Lynch are the top two RBs.

I get why they did it.  Their stats are world class and I'm sure people were seriously taking advantage of the cheap access.  I'm just super devastated.  Not to mention stupid ass PFF just took me for $20 with their ridiculous "Player Grades" access.  First the final Madison news and now this?  My Tecmo world is crumbling around me.  

Anyways, a word to the wise.  If you use PFF at all, don't buy the "Player Ratings."

time to start your own rating method.  

I find it pretty easy to rate: speed, hitting, rec, bc, etc.  easy.

to me, the tough thing about rating roms is finding the right "balances" between teams.  and making sure the bad teams are bad, and the good teams are good, but not too good.

...but, back on topic, I understand your point and complaint. 

Edited by buck

53 minutes ago, Lamefest said:

So I've always used Pro Football Focus to do my attribute rating of players and depth charts for ROMs.  Their stats have always been phenomenal, especially their Snap data.  I was mega excited to get rolling on a post-season 2015 ROM. I also just completed a comprehensive rating system of all the Offensive Players from 2007-2014. I'm ready to get rolling on the Defensive Players for a series of ROMs that would have player ratings that all coincided.  

Just went to renew my subscription to their Premium Stats, and the Premium Stats are no longer available.  They had some other "Player Grades" option.  They did disclose that it wasn't premium stats, but the screenshot they showed had some snap data and 1-100 Player Ratings.  I figured this would be better than nothing, so I slapped $20 down for it.  It's terrible.  It's ratings don't even seem to correlate to their old ratings.  They're obviously not cumulative of the season as Le'Veon Bell and Marshawn Lynch are the top two RBs.

I get why they did it.  Their stats are world class and I'm sure people were seriously taking advantage of the cheap access.  I'm just super devastated.  Not to mention stupid ass PFF just took me for $20 with their ridiculous "Player Grades" access.  First the final Madison news and now this?  My Tecmo world is crumbling around me.  

Anyways, a word to the wise.  If you use PFF at all, don't buy the "Player Ratings."

Ya lots of people complained about it when they changed over. They offerred a free look for one day and I determined like you that it was mostly worthless. But ya the amount of labor they were putting in vs what they got out was probably not worth it. I'm sure the end goal was always to get bought out but it sucks for all the fans/bloggers/game raters. 

The fantasy stats might be more useful as they contain some of the old data though not some of the more unique stuff.  These images are from their  why subscribe page.

Fantasy-Stat-Tool-Off.png

Fantasy-Stat-Tool-Def.png

Oh I have a rather complex rating method that I've developed over the years - using stats only found on PFF which now makes my spreadsheets worthless. Creating ratings for WRs using drops, snaps in route, average reception depth or a QB on Yards in Air and Yards if Drops were Caught just adds more context and really aids in ensuring that team balance. 

I'm sure I'll get over it in a few days and get back to using Pro Football Reference. At least they finally have target data. 

36 minutes ago, bruddog said:

if you just want snap counts they are free here and nicely sortable.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

Funny. That was the first place I checked after I perused the useless new PFF data. I was really into Football Outsiders before I came across PFF. They had cool stuff before anyone else. I even bought their Pro Football Prospectus back in like 2007. At the time they were like the only football answer to Bill James.