Streaming at Live Tourney: What do you need?

segathonsov

4 hours ago, davefmurray said:

A lot of words to say that this is not a science and requires tons and tons of testing and retesting. My audio sync still isn't great and I've been doing this for years. Go figure.

Video streaming is often a "get what you pay for" endeavor. The nicer the equipment you can build up over time the better the end result will be. You can sink a lot of money into this if you aren't careful, so the key is always perspective and the KISS method. Unless you have an unlimited budget, I wouldn't even worry about "seeing" the competitors your first stream. Getting the NES into a stream with audio sync can be a challenge in itself, so focus on that and the rest will come in time.

13 minutes ago, tecmoaz said:

Video streaming is often a "get what you pay for" endeavor. The nicer the equipment you can build up over time the better the end result will be. You can sink a lot of money into this if you aren't careful, so the key is always perspective and the KISS method. Unless you have an unlimited budget, I wouldn't even worry about "seeing" the competitors your first stream. Getting the NES into a stream with audio sync can be a challenge in itself, so focus on that and the rest will come in time.

You need at least $10k to get started. Not sure what you are talking about...

25 minutes ago, segathonsov said:

Audio seems to be my biggest issue to.  Get a screeching noise in background.  Think it's reverb from all the video games going at once.  (this was NHL 95 on gens streaming) 

Have a video?

1 hour ago, segathonsov said:

Audio seems to be my biggest issue to.  Get a screeching noise in background.  Think it's reverb from all the video games going at once.  (this was NHL 95 on gens streaming) 

Screeching noises sounds like feedback from the microphone.   Speakers close to the microphone?   Just a guess.....

20 hours ago, davefmurray said:

There are two MAJOR components when it comes to streaming, both of which cause disconnects. Your computer's CPU and the internet connection. Secondary is the graphics card.

If the CPU can't handle everything on screen (cameras, capture, etc) it will stutter and cut out. You have to meticulously monitor your frames and set your FPS according to that. This is job #1. Once you are settled on a good FPS you move on to your connection. In most cases you won't know the actual speed until you get to the venue. If you know you are using Wifi it is safe to assume that you are going to be getting less than 1mbps upload, which is FARRR from ideal. You'll need to either lower your FPS again to compensate for this or start to remove on-screen items.

Another thing to consider is screen resolution. NES output is 240p so you can lower your canvas resolution substantially and get away with a higher quality stream at a lower FPS.

A lot of words to say that this is not a science and requires tons and tons of testing and retesting. My audio sync still isn't great and I've been doing this for years. Go figure.

Thanks for the tips!   I did some testing last night and the CPU utilization was low so I think that's ok.  I set the camera's FPS to 15 which is pretty low.   I was mainly messing with the bitrate and it seemed like the max I could do was 700.  Folks said the camera looked fine but the game was a bit choppy.  Watchable but not great. 

Brutopia's fps rate was ~56 so was getting some lag for sure.   Will do more testing.  

Edited by Darth RockMan
Picture did not show

35 minutes ago, Darth RockMan said:

Thanks for the tips!   I did some testing last night and the CPU utilization was low so I think that's ok.  I set the camera's FPS to 15 which is pretty low.   I was mainly messing with the bitrate and it seemed like the max I could do was 700.  Folks said the camera looked fine but the game was a bit choppy.  Watchable but not great. 

Brutopia's fps rate was ~56 so was getting some lag for sure.   Will do more testing.  

An emulator's CPU impact and a capture card's impact are not going to be nearly the same. If your emu is choppy, this is most certainly a CPU issue.

40 minutes ago, davefmurray said:

An emulator's CPU impact and a capture card's impact are not going to be nearly the same. If your emu is choppy, this is most certainly a CPU issue.

I think some of the lag was cuz I was playing the game online while trying to stream.  Probably a recipe for disaster without a faster connection.  To do a better test I'll have to setup the capture card and try it again.  Trial and error!  Thanks again for the help!

2 minutes ago, segathonsov said:

Thanks,

To troubleshoot switch out jacks that plug into Nintendo to pc?  The logitech camera and my pc probably both have mics, would they be fighting for dominance?  Does one need to be neutered? 

This may be audio static from a power supply too. Not a 60hz hum, but from a power supply. My old MacBook did something similar when using Logic as its power supply started to die.

Yes, kill the PC mic first. I still don't think that is the issue but it is a good start. 

• 1 year later...

Any more recommendations on USB capture devices?    The one  I bought has a green line down the middle that won't go away.  Does it on multiple NES systems.    Support said they don't know what it is.   Looking to buy one that works right.    

USB Capture with free green line down the middle. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073PVGJW2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I see this one recommended but is now over $50 and takes 2-4 weeks shipping.  Could buy a used one If I had too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MT7JFQ/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me

Darth

Capture.JPG

6 minutes ago, Darth RockMan said:

Any more recommendations on USB capture devices?    The one  I bought has a green line down the middle that won't go away.  Does it on multiple NES systems.    Support said they don't know what it is.   Looking to buy one that works right.    

Capture.JPG

This looks like a cable/connection issue to me. Have you tried a new cable?

Yeah I thought so too.   Tried a different NES and different cables.  When you hit reset like 3x's on the NES it will go away for a few mins but then comes right back and never goes away until the next resets.  Seems like something with the actual adaptor.   When I add the cable splitter to a TV it's not on the TV just the laptop capture screen.   Very odd.

1 minute ago, Darth RockMan said:

When I add the cable splitter to a TV it's not on the TV just the laptop capture screen.   Very odd.

Sounds like a cable or power issue since it isn't in the signal. Play musical chairs with all the cables & power supplies. Try with your laptop on battery vs power supply too.