(NES) Tecmo Bowl 1988 w/ 32 Teams

TheFes75

Tecmo Bowl 1988 w/ 32 Teams

All,

Here is a 32 Team Original Tecmo Bowl for the 1988 season,  (Stats are mainly from the 1987 season)

Included in the ROM:

• The updated graphics from the 32 team base ROM.
  • The 28 Teams that were in the NFL in 1988
  • 4 Extra teams: All Pro (ALP), AFC Pro Bowl (AFC), All Decade (ALD)& NFC Pro Bowl (NFC).
  • All teams have home and away uniforms
  • All Endzones read "TB"
  • Old faces in new places (All Pro Fred Young in Indianapolis, Pro Bowler Ron Solt in Philly)
  • Rookies for the 1988 season: Ickey Woods, Michael Irvin, Keith Jackson, Tim Brown etc..
  • Players excluded from the original: Neal Anderson, John Taylor, Charles Haley, Ferrell Edmunds, Chris Chandler, Wade Wilson etc...
  • Upgraded player ratings for All Pro and Pro Bowl players: Harry Carson, Jacob Green, Paul Risien, Kenny Easley, Scott Studwell, etc...

As always in my ROM's shoot for the STARS:

• All Pro players are depicted by a Red Star in front of their names (These players have the best attributes in the game)
  • Pro Bowl Players are depicted by a White Star in front of their names (These players are a step below the All Pro players, but are very good as well).
  • This is especially helpful when deciding who to use on defense.

As always if you find any issues contact me and I will attempt to fix them.

ENJOY!!!

Really enjoying this rom.  What I love about the original TB is that when a few pieces of the puzzle get moved around and the player ratings get tweaked on defense, it really turns the team into something else...whether good or bad.  Can't wait to get some 2 player games in with this.  

Found something interesting that I've never noticed before with a Tecmo cart, or on a rom.....when the CPU goes top punt, if you keep tapping the A button like you are cycling through the defenders, they wont snap the ball to punt until you stop.

Played Seattle vs (CPU)All decade team.  Must be LT as the bottom outside LB.  Every time I call Pass 1, the BOLB immediately destroys the RB who is in pass protection mode, and I nearly get sacked.  Not really a glitch just made note of it....unless someone else is supposed to block him.     

31 minutes ago, Tecmo-Mad-Brad said:

Found something interesting that I've never noticed before with a Tecmo cart, or on a rom.....when the CPU goes top punt, if you keep tapping the A button like you are cycling through the defenders, they wont snap the ball to punt until you stop.

Played Seattle vs (CPU)All decade team.  Must be LT as the bottom outside LB.  Every time I call Pass 1, the BOLB immediately destroys the RB who is in pass protection mode, and I nearly get sacked.  Not really a glitch just made note of it....unless someone else is supposed to block him.     

Warner is only a 48 HP player. Whomever is the BOLB (I think it is LT) must be 32 HP more than Warner. If I remember correctly there are only a handful of 80+ HP defensive players. Any player 32 HP lower than the person hitting them will popcorn, unless controlled by a human opponent. 

Talked to my buddy about this rom today.  Next time we can get together for a couple days, there'll definitely be a tournament with the original 12 teams...and a handful of side games with the rest.  He was very stoked to hear that Howie Long is a top DE here, along with a lot of the other alterations.

Quick things of note on this rom...  

--Colts are crazy good.  Dickerson, Chandler with a better arm than Trudeau, and Fredd Young/Bickett about to tear it up on defense.  Whoa!

--Herschel Walker according to Fes had the most rushing yards in the non strike 1987 games.  With that information, Fes made him the premier RB in the game.  While the rest of Dallas is probably sketchy, HW will make some hay.

--Skins had INT machines with Green and Wilburn in 1987.  They have a stout D-backfield.  

--Seahawks have a really good Jacob Green(Top DE) and Kenny Easley (Bot DB).  Totally different departure from the USA or Japan version.  Interesting change.

--Giants with LT, and Banks.....and a pretty damn decent TMLB with Harry Carson.  Whoa.  CRAZY diverse defense there.    

May have found a weird glitch, but not sure its fixable.  I'd use Duane Bickett vs NYG.  When Morris would take the pitch and swing wide to the bottom, Id come straight on at him with Bicket and seemed to always dive right through him.  From any other angle or on a the top run play I was able to successfully dive and tackle him.  Maybe my position was off just a hair, but i happened like 3 or 4 times so it seemed odd.

I'll try to get it to happen again and post some video.

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

On November 30, 2015 at 11:27:53 AM, Tecmo-Mad-Brad said:

Quick things of note on this rom...  

--Colts are crazy good.  Dickerson, Chandler with a better arm than Trudeau, and Fredd Young/Bickett about to tear it up on defense.  Whoa!

--Herschel Walker according to Fes had the most rushing yards in the non strike 1987 games.  With that information, Fes made him the premier RB in the game.  While the rest of Dallas is probably sketchy, HW will make some hay.

--Skins had INT machines with Green and Wilburn in 1987.  They have a stout D-backfield.  

--Seahawks have a really good Jacob Green(Top DE) and Kenny Easley (Bot DB).  Totally different departure from the USA or Japan version.  Interesting change.

--Giants with LT, and Banks.....and a pretty damn decent TMLB with Harry Carson.  Whoa.  CRAZY diverse defense there.    

Herschel Walker didn't have most rushing yards, but he did have 891 and another 725 receiving in a Strike shortened season. Bo Jackson still has the best attributes, but Dickerson and Walker are tied for second. When I ranked them out to give attributes, Walker ranked 1 and Dickerson 2. Jackson actually ranked out at #4, but to keep the Jackson mystique I kept him with the higher attributes. Walker basically has Walter Payton's attributes. When ranking running backs, receivers and even qb's, I used yards per game as one of the factors as opposed to total yards, since '87 was weird with the strike (didn't play one game) and replacement players playing 2 to 3 games in place of most of the regulars. I'll have a spreadsheet out s on with all of the player attributes.

37 minutes ago, TheFes75 said:

When ranking running backs, receivers and even qb's, I used yards per game as one of the factors as opposed to total yards, since '87 was weird with the strike (didn't play one game) and replacement players playing 2 to 3 games in place of most of the regulars. I'll have a spreadsheet out s on with all of the player attributes.

This  may or may not help you in the future, but I've found the AV scores on pro-football-reference.com to be helpful when rating players.  It's not the end-all-be-all for ratings, but it does help when comparing.  For example, Barry Foster's stats followed by the AV score at the end (I highlighted his record-breaking 1992 season):

foster.png

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at the rom ratings Fes sent me......Duper and Clayton had some dog ratings on the original rom and in this one as well....but they both had pretty mediocre 87 seasons, so its completely warranted.  For as much name cred as they had back in the day, it seems a lot of that was based off their early success with Marino when he 1st exploded onto the NFL 84-86.  

22 hours ago, Tecmo-Mad-Brad said:

Looking at the rom ratings Fes sent me......Duper and Clayton had some dog ratings on the original rom and in this one as well....but they both had pretty mediocre 87 seasons, so its completely warranted.  For as much name cred as they had back in the day, it seems a lot of that was based off their early success with Marino when he 1st exploded onto the NFL 84-86.  

Duper was a pro bowler in 83, 84 and 86.  He only had one 1000 yard season after 1986 and that was in 1991.

Clayton was a pro bowler in 84, 85, 86, 88 and 91. He had three 1000 yard seasons after 1986. (88, 89, 91)

Marino was a pro Bowler in 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 91, 92, 94 & 95. He was an All Pro in 84, 85 & 86.

Both Duper and Clayton definitely had their best years the three years Marino was All Pro in 84,85,86.