Neerrm

Discord - A New Era of Tecmo Communication

One of the biggest complaints I've seen in regards to the online Tecmo community of late all revolves around communication and the lack thereof. Across the board, people are having trouble finding opponents and finding games.

No more! Enter Discord.

https://discord.gg/0bTEaH3dmy3Dzsgq

To quote their website, Discord is an "All-in-one voice and text chat for gamers that’s free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone." I would call it similar to Skype, but less resource intensive and much more simplistic and easy to use (and no annoying advertisements everywhere).

So, what does Discord have going for it that other programs (such as AIM) do not? Why will Discord succeed where other alternatives in the past have fallen flat?

• Discord is easy-to-access. You can fire it up in your web browser, you can download the program to your desktop, and there are also mobile apps available for your phone. Pretty much any way you prefer to communicate is available to you.
  • Discord has easy-to-manage group chat features. In the past, group chats were an AIM clusterf**k where you hoped that you happened to get everyone in your league into the group chat, and maybe you forgot a person here or there or people that were no longer in the league ended up in the chat. Finding TPC games is an art long past, and while the TPC site has the game-finder chat hidden away in the site, it's not often used. So far, I've created a general chat and a TPC chat, and I've also created private chats for a few of the leagues on TecmoBowl.org and can very easily create more. Having a centralized place where everyone can communicate will, in my opinion, be very beneficial.
  • Discord has optional voice chat. If you ever wanted to jaw with your opponent while playing, it's as simple as joining a voice channel with one click.
  • Discord is easy-to-use. Chatting is just a matter of clicking on the chat you want to talk in and typing. Sending private messages is easy too. I personally feel like Discord is very fine-tuned in that regard.

I've set up a Discord server which you can access via the web version here. Just click the link and you'll be connected. I'm hoping that with this, we can move to program that's not from the 90s and get some online love flowing again. If you're skeptical, just give it a shot. If you don't like it, tell me why. What's most important about an attempted transition like this is to get as many people as possible involved, so I'm very interested in hearing what everyone has to say.

Edited by Neerrm

Just playing devil's advocate here

One of the biggest complaints I've seen in regards to the online Tecmo community of late all revolves around communication and the lack thereof. Across the board, people are having trouble finding opponents and finding games.

No more! Enter Discord.

So, what does Discord have going for it that other programs (such as AIM) do not? Why will Discord succeed where other alternatives in the past have fallen flat?

You can fire up AIM in your web browser,phone or download it to your desktop. So I don't see a improvement there

• Discord has easy-to-manage group chat features. In the past, group chats were an AIM clusterf**k where you hoped that you happened to get everyone in your league into the group chat, and maybe you forgot a person here or there or people that were no longer in the league ended up in the chat. Finding TPC games is an art long past, and while the TPC site has the game-finder chat hidden away in the site, it's not often used. So far, I've created a general chat and a TPC chat, and I've also created private chats for a few of the leagues on TecmoBowl.org and can very easily create more. Having a centralized place where everyone can communicate will, in my opinion, be very beneficial.

This is kinda nice I guess but why have a  group chat versus a post on the boards that people should be checking. How does this fix "hoped that you happened to get everyone in your league into the group chat, and maybe you forgot a person here or there or people that were no longer in the league ended up in the chat." Wouldn't this problem still exist? 

• Discord has optional voice chat. If you ever wanted to jaw with your opponent while playing, it's as simple as joining a voice channel with one click.

That is nice that its built in as long as it doesn't introduce random lag spikes due to voice data/apps being given packet priority 

• Discord is easy-to-use. Chatting is just a matter of clicking on the chat you want to talk in and typing. Sending private messages is easy too. I personally feel like Discord is very fine-tuned in that regard

AIM is easy to use. 

I've set up a Discord server which you can access via the web version here. Just click the link and you'll be connected. I'm hoping that with this, we can move to program that's not from the 90s and get some online love flowing again. If you're skeptical, just give it a shot. If you don't like it, tell me why. What's most important about an attempted transition like this is to get as many people as possible involved, so I'm very interested in hearing what everyone has to say.

Okay mostly playing devil's advocate with the above statements. It does look an upgrade from aim. 

I think the real/percevied problem with the communication is not the tool being used but the people using it. SOME people simply don't/ aren't good at/are too lazy to/ are too busy to communicate period regardless of the tool used. I mean we have text messaging/facebook chat/ board private messaging.

You should be able to reach someone. 

I think the real/percevied problem with the communication is not the tool being used but the people using it. SOME people simply don't/ aren't good at/are too lazy to/ are too busy to communicate period regardless of the tool used. I mean we have text messaging/facebook chat/ board private messaging.

You should be able to reach someone. 

This.  So many avenues are available that are better than AIM already, and only a select few care to use them.  Everyone has a cell phone -- why should I download an application when my cell phone can receive text messages?  The problem is very few care to initiate conversation for games.  These days, if I'm not actively looking for my opponent, making scheduling posts, logging on to AIM (despite not wanting to or feeling the need to) and messaging folks, games don't get played. 

People may even offer solutions... Sure, I can put the AIM app on my phone, and I'll become just like a bunch of others in the community -- online all day, yet still non-responsive, passive, etc. 

To illustrate the passive nature of this community, despite the fact that I rarely get on AIM, I have offline messages enabled, and rarely if ever receive those either -- I can count probably less than 10 offline messages in the year+ since I've returned for trying to setup a game, and most of them are someone lazily clicking the link on one of the philes and sending the automatic message. 

I don't think the communication means will help much with the passive nature of our community.  AIM would work fine -- and did for many years -- if everyone used it properly and to its potential.  Today, texting / board PMs / scheduling posts are more efficient and easier.  I'm sure Discord would work if everyone used it, but they won't.  Again, texting / board PMs / scheduling posts are more efficient and easier.

95+% of people in this community have a device in their pocket that is more powerful than most any home PC from the early 2000s.  Most of us carry around a device in our pockets that is more powerful than the PC that I started playing online tecmo on.  Crazy shit when I think about it like that.  That device can run AIM and any other number of instant messaging / chat applications.  That device can text, make a phone call, etc.  I can facetime you, Skype you, send you an email, a text, an audio text, a video text, a message board PM, make a scheduling post etc., all without needing to sit at a desk.  I can receive emails / texts / etc. on my watch. 

The problem is, everyone has busy lives.  Everyone has different times of availability.  We are all older, with more responsibilities, families, children, wives, etc.  We all have different working hours, live in different areas of the country.  I think with all this disparate availability, the best medium for communication is the one that all of us have 95% of the time in our pockets -- text messages on our phone. 

I went on a little bit of a rant here, but it's amazing to me, that with all the advances in communication in this day and age, we still struggle to do so effectively.  The common problem is the people, not the communication medium.  If we are too busy to take the time to send a text asking to schedule a game, how will yet another application help us?

The common problem is the people, not the communication medium.  If we are too busy to take the time to send a text asking to schedule a game, how will yet another application help us?

Nos and bruddog pretty much nailed it.  I am open to using a better communication service and will probably give discord a shot but ultimately it comes down to the users.  I dont see people changing much as we get older and the lack of proactive communication will continue whether its AIM or Discord.  

I'm more interested in seeing how this (or another platform) could help TPC.  Tecmo is struggling right now and part of it is that there is no new blood coming in.  That is the problem.  Veterans are retiring/taking breaks and there is nobody to replace them.  TPC revamp made some strides but seems like there is still a struggle for new guys to find games.  

Edited by War Machine

I'm more interested in seeing how this (or another platform) could help TPC.  Tecmo is struggling right now and part of it is that there is no new blood coming in.  That is the problem.  Veterans are retiring/taking breaks and there is nobody to replace them.  TPC revamp made some strides but seems like there is still a struggle for new guys to find games.  

This is actually my biggest motivation for this. Right now the pick-up game situation is absolute balls.

there's no question about it, it's interface is better than aim and is really easy to use.  the question is will people adopt it and actually use it or will we just be facing the same issues with a different-colored chat box?

there's no question about it, it's interface is better than aim and is really easy to use.  the question is will people adopt it and actually use it or will we just be facing the same issues with a different-colored chat box?

Probably. However it's easily the best option for people who want to use voice chat.

maybe someone can help here as i have been unable to find an answer on the discord forums.  kamp has sent me invite links to hsrl, wtf2 and 2.0 league rooms.  i've clicked them and it says i've joined them, but i cannot see them and kamp says he does not see me in the list of members.  any ideas?

On 12/10/2015 at 1:24 PM, brookstonfowler said:

maybe someone can help here as i have been unable to find an answer on the discord forums.  kamp has sent me invite links to hsrl, wtf2 and 2.0 league rooms.  i've clicked them and it says i've joined them, but i cannot see them and kamp says he does not see me in the list of members.  any ideas?

Err, sorry, I just saw this. This is a permissions thing, I basically need to add you to the rooms. This goes for anyone who joins; I figured it'd be better to restrict league access to people who are actually in the league, but this can be changed.

With AIM doing whatever it has been doing, a lot more people have shifted to Discord. We're making progress but still need more of a shift to get everyone rolling.

I changed the permissions on the above Discord. I know people have branched off and made their own (which is a bit frustrating because the idea was to have one and get everyone together and talking Tecmo again) but this should make it easier.

6 minutes ago, Neerrm said:

I changed the permissions on the above Discord. I know people have branched off and made their own (which is a bit frustrating because the idea was to have one and get everyone together and talking Tecmo again) but this should make it easier.

and you can mute the leagues you don't want to hear about.... hit the bell icon up top by the league name once you are in its chat room, then you wont get notifications and stuff from that league.

fuck AIM!  find me on discord from now on.

13 hours ago, Neerrm said:

Yea, totally not ideal, but who are the other admins/mods of the servers? It appears that only one person is holding the keys and making decisions for a number of leagues/players/components which would cause people to bounce to have control over their own situation.

1 hour ago, davefmurray said:

Yea, totally not ideal, but who are the other admins/mods of the servers? It appears that only one person is holding the keys and making decisions for a number of leagues/players/components which would cause people to bounce to have control over their own situation.

Knobbe and I have admin at the moment. The only thing I can do that other people can't at the moment (at least after the permission change and not backend server related) is create new channels (and kick/ban people I guess).

31 minutes ago, Neerrm said:

Knobbe and I have admin at the moment. The only thing I can do that other people can't at the moment (at least after the permission change and not backend server related) is create new channels (and kick/ban people I guess).

permissions

channel moderation

channel creation

backend server - are you hosting this?

Items 1-3 would be things I would want input on or control over if I was running my own league. I would open this up to far more people. I do not want admin/mod as I won't be using this, but am just pointing out the obvious. I am not surprised other servers are being spun up.

Lastly, if this is the new go-to method someone needs to make a video or walk-thru on how to use this optimally. This is a far cry from AIM.

League admins have full control over their individual league channels. They just can't make their own without asking a Discord administrator. (which is literally messaging me and being like 'hey i need a chanel for usfl' like manyo did yesterday).

What do you feel is counter-intuitive to use? I found this way more self-explanatory than AIM ever was.