Madison, WI - 02/20/16 - Tecmo XII: There's Something About Barry

sonofpatbeach

Fantastic weekend.  Great to see everyone, meet new people, and partake in the general shenanigans.  After losing my rematch with Flo I proceeded to drink heavily, skip the Plaza (weak), pass out while eating pizza, wake up in the middle of the night hung over and finish the pizza, wake up again when O'Dell returned from the Plaza, wake up again due to some heavy snoring, wake up in the morning feeling better, then puking on the highway somewhere north of Chicago (SUBWAYYYYYYYYYYYY). My puke 'n' rally strategy almost worked in my NHL 96 game vs. DT but he schooled me in the end. 

It was a very entertaining final eight. A good mix of known and unknown players, a couple of guys who made a run after paying their Tecmo dues, and the absence of the smart-money elites made for great fun.  Congrats to Joey and his Eagle Claw style on taking the title. 

I was a great weekend for me especially it being my first Madison. I got to meet even more great guys at this event that I haven't had the chance to before. Played some scrims Friday with Tecmo Psycho, Carnage, Arncoem, and Ryan11P before we all ate dinner together with Coconuts ( who is a super awesome dude). They were all great even though I kinda felt like the 5th wheel with everyone being in TTC which is probably the best and most unique OG rom league out there.

Play in tournament was great and I got to meet Leif Powers, who's FAQs I read when I got into Tecmo, was super cool Friday night as well. Finally met Knobbe, Dave F'n Murray, Bruddog, Noonan, Storksdaman, Gats, Sega, Gripsmoke, Manyo and many others from the online community that I can't think of at the moment. Also got to hang out with guys I haven't seen in a while O Toole, Odell, Louis, Mort, DT, Josh H, Chet, Orenga, Oklahoma (Bo), and the list goes on. I just can't express enough how great it was to be a this tournament with such awesome guys who share the same passion for a game 25 years old.

I was able to win my group but get knocked out in the round of 64 by DT, who was in my group and I had beaten him. But he got sweet revenge when it mattered most.

I have nothing negative to say about this tournament as it was by far the best I have ever attended.

My only regret from Madison is that I wish I had attended this event sooner. I only had a small sample size of what the Madison experience is about and selfishly I wish it wouldn't be ending.

I just want to thank everyone that made my trip to Madison the best it could be.

I wish good health and good fortune to the entire Madison crew and their families as they move forward with life.

Edited by suicideking81

Oh yea ty sega for that epic tecmo wigii board.  It was amazing.  Also cant forget art for all them scrims we did.  Oh and meeting  leaf was a once in a lifetime experience,  really enjoyed his take on the game..  He knew just about everything  there is to know and he was super  cool and friendly..  Great guy

Edited by joeygats

16 hours ago, JimSocks13 said:

It was definitely brought on by the GIANT bear hug you gave me after I thought you missed that field goal. I got my money's worth in our two games alone. Awesome stuff man, my buddy kept telling me all night he'd remember that game for as long as he lived, I couldn't ask for a better last game in Madison against a better guy.

Epic game for sure and it was great to see u again.  Hopefully it wasn't  the last time though

A lot of people were asking whether "The Kid" was a complete unknown at #TecmoXII, so I wanted to add here that we were definitely aware of he and his brother, and we had Aaron as a low #2 seed on Saturday, paired with a high #1 seed (Mort). He did pretty well in #TecmoXI, prior to his unfortunate encounter with Chet: http://www.tecmomadison.com/Competitors/?ID=1230

Speaking of seeding, @averagetsbplayer is entering the games into the database, and it looks as though this is our best seeding job to date. Take a look at how each of the seeds fared in #TecmoXII:

Seed Wins Losses Win %
1 93 12 88.5714%
2 80 44 64.5161%
3 69 50 57.9832%
4 50 60 45.4545%
5 34 59 36.5591%
6 32 61 34.4086%
7 28 62 31.1111%
8 26 63 29.2135%

The 5s, 6s, and 7s were mostly luck, as that's where we put most of our unknown players. But we did pretty well on the others, especially considering we had the play-in tournament to consider this year. There were still some notable upsets in Group Play this year, as @RetroNathan, @modeezie, and @arncoem failed to advance.

Edited by sonofpatbeach

Let me know if you don't want this on here @kevincabarello

Strange coincidence: @joeygats ended up as the 7 seed in the third region's bracket in back-to-back years. When I went to update the #TecmoXII spreadsheet from #TecmoXI, his name was already in that slot.

Edited by sonofpatbeach

Individual games are now up on the site. You will see them on your own player page. You'll also see them on the tournament-specific page: http://www.tecmomadison.com/Competitions/Tecmo-XII

Please take a look and let me know if you identify any mistakes or if you know the teams/scores involved with games that are blank. Unfortunately, organization tends to disintegrate towards the end of the tournament for recording teams/scores as we focus more on the experience.

Edited by averagetsbplayer

11 hours ago, averagetsbplayer said:

Individual games are now up on the site. You will see them on your own player page. You'll also see them on the tournament-specific page: http://www.tecmomadison.com/Competitions/Tecmo-XII

Looking at my numbers... Since Tecmo IX, I'm 2-6 in games involving Washington (14-5 in all other games), including my opponent using them to knock me out of Tecmo IX, X, and back-to-back games after reaching the group final of Tecmo XII. I guess, politely put: 

Fuck that team.

12 hours ago, averagetsbplayer said:

Please take a look and let me know if you identify any mistakes or if you know the teams/scores involved with games that are blank. Unfortunately, organization tends to disintegrate towards the end of the tournament for recording teams/scores as we focus more on the experience.

joeygats 24 (no) vs matt miller 10 (phx) - matt miller called it and was home side

joeygats 17 (cin) vs rickster 7 (sd) - joeygats called it and was home side

joeygats 14 (sd) vs the kid 7 (pit) - the kid called it and was home side

53 minutes ago, hoigaard said:

Looking at my numbers... Since Tecmo IX, I'm 2-6 in games involving Washington (14-5 in all other games), including my opponent using them to knock me out of Tecmo IX, X, and back-to-back games after reaching the group final of Tecmo XII. I guess, politely put: 

Fuck that team.

Yep. I think that's pretty much the sentiment of 80% of Tecmo players.

**PENDING REMAINING GAMES**

In bracket play only SF and RAI were not called. 

Feel the BERN! Browns go 5-0 in bracket play.

AIKMAN LVP. Dallas pounds sand going 1-5 losing by an average of 15 pts.  

No Hidden stat Johny Johnson magic for PHX who goes 2-8 scoring a pidly 8 pts per game. 

Oh those SAN DIEGO.....SUPERCHARGERS.  They end  being the most used team and win 9 of their 11 games by an average of 9 pts

BRACKET PLAY( 64 on) TEAM RESULTS

S.D. 11 9 82%
MIN. 9 4 44%
CIN. 8 5 63%
JETS 8 5 63%
PHX. 8 2 25%
PIT. 8 6 75%
DET. 6 2 33%
G.B. 6 1 17%
GIA. 6 4 67%
K.C. 6 4 67%
BUF. 5 1 20%