Madison, WI - 02/20/16 - Tecmo XII: There's Something About Barry

sonofpatbeach

Promise them cigarettes and Mountain Dew.

We'll order a coast to coast pizza from whatever that place was. Then when I wake up I'll wonder whether I actually ate the pizza or just threw it all over the room. Maybe it was both!

Let's just say I learned nothing from you and Regulator. Had to bump the date back because my proposal for a live birth at the tournament was not exactly well-received. #BeholdTheTecmoJesus

You live and you learn!

Matt and I will be present this year

Great to see this at an earlier date guys! Looking forward to attending! The Ashman Cometh! And maybe Pookie Pookums too!

Glad to hear the earlier date has been helpful for a few people. We know February in Wisconsin isn't the most ideal date.

Also, we're not exactly sure how yet, but we plan on celebrating Tecmo Madison "veterans" at this year's tournament. Likely the guys who have attended 10 of the tourneys so far. or maybe 5 too. I thought of the idea after Flo mentioned he had been to 10 of the tournaments as of last year, which represented roughly a third of his life. We have our creative geniuses (architects of the Tecmo graveyard last year) working on ideas now.

Edited by sonofpatbeach

Hey Psycho, is Dolan going to be playing this year in Madison?

Are anyone else's kids planning on playing? My 9-year-old girl wants in (or at least to come), but she was hoping for a small "kids" tourney. Maybe something to set up on the side? Tecmo is starting to span into a second generation, and I love the thought of it.

On 11/24/2015, 12:01:41, Super Duper said:

Hey Psycho, is Dolan going to be playing this year in Madison?

Are anyone else's kids planning on playing? My 9-year-old girl wants in (or at least to come), but she was hoping for a small "kids" tourney. Maybe something to set up on the side? Tecmo is starting to span into a second generation, and I love the thought of it.

Well he wants to and I want him to, but mom says he can't miss school on Friday.  So as of now I am unsure.  I tried reminding her that I am a teacher and this would be perfectly fine.  ?

On 11/23/2015, 1:36:49, sonofpatbeach said:

Also, we're not exactly sure how yet, but we plan on celebrating Tecmo Madison "veterans" at this year's tournament. Likely the guys who have attended 10 of the tourneys so far. or maybe 5 too. I thought of the idea after Flo mentioned he had been to 10 of the tournaments as of last year, which represented roughly a third of his life. We have our creative geniuses (architects of the Tecmo graveyard last year) working on ideas now.

This would be my 7th. I know I retired after TecmoXI, yet came back to play in the NYC tourney and then retired again, but if Brett Favre can un-retire 17 times... 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, this would be my first Madison, or any Tecmo tournament for that matter, so a few questions:

Is it best to get a hotel Friday night or Saturday night? I live in Minnesota so not too bad of a drive.

Will the TV's only be the old school tube kind? I'd prefer not to play on an HDTV

Is there a time frame of when the tournament will be? 10AM until Midnight? 

Can yo be the Top OL position to block field goals? The Derrick Thomas or LT position?

I'll think of some more questions, thanks. Hope to have some fun and meet some Tecmo Super Bowl geeks like myself

On 12/9/2015 at 8:51 PM, GiveMeTheWorld said:

Hey guys, this would be my first Madison, or any Tecmo tournament for that matter, so a few questions:

Is it best to get a hotel Friday night or Saturday night? I live in Minnesota so not too bad of a drive. 

Will the TV's only be the old school tube kind? I'd prefer not to play on an HDTV

Can yo be the Top OL position to block field goals? The Derrick Thomas or LT position?

I'll think of some more questions, thanks. Hope to have some fun and meet some Tecmo Super Bowl geeks like myself

Welcome to the Tecmo community. See Dave's post below. Also, check out the 'TECMO XII: WHERE ARE YOU STAYING?' post for up to date information on games played on Friday night, and where. 

Edited by RetroNathan

The plan. Hopefully. Maybe. Probably not:

1.) Wife has our second child, due Feb. 4.

2.) Provide two weeks of fantastic fathering skills in order to persuade wife that all is well for me to make this trip.

3.) Between child being born and TecmoXII -- watch the Bengals win the Super Bowl?

4.) Convince USPS that I need off that Saturday.

5.) Deliver mail in Cincinnati that Friday before tourney.

6.) Drive straight from work to Madison.

7.) Arrive at roughly 2 a.m. Saturday for the tail-end of some practice game, hotel pandemonium.

8.) Sleep for a couple hours.

9.) Provide a, more than likely, less than sub-par performance at TecmoXII.

10.) Drive overnight, arrive at work in order to deliver Amazon packages on Sunday morning.

11.) Thank the wife.

Chance of me coming this year: 50%

13 hours ago, GiveMeTheWorld said:

Everyone hangs out Friday night at various locations. Badger Bowl hangin' suits most, but is not too late of an event. Saturday night ends at roughly 9PM. Last year they basically kicked us out at 9:15PM. Most hung out til around 10:00PM and then went off into the distance. Some head downtown for a few more drinks, some catch rest before the drive home.

Yes, only CRT TVs.

For all of the tournament rules visit the tournament site: http://www.tecmomadison.com/Rules

Would anyone be interested in doing a beer swap? We got people coming from all over from places with lots of delicious beer that's not available elsewhere. I thought maybe it'd be a chance for guys to swap different craft beers with each other we might not get to try usually.

representing the PNW once again, flying in thursday night, find me at the plaza (or the plaza toilets)....... not sure where i'm staying yet, but i'll have my hiking bag and pad ready to crash on the floor ~blue luigi style~ of whatever motel room that's as close to mort as possible.