Forum Software Upgrade

Knobbe

• 1 month later...

yo, I am having trouble "filtering" the "league" threads.  how do I make my "filtering" permanent?  or how do I "trigger" my filter, I must not know how to do it.  it only seems to work once, then it goes back.

like the "old" forum, all I want to see is:  recent threads, minus league bullshit.  (I don't want only "unread", I want "recent").

I just went through 30+ posts (and load more activity) to get to the "2015 NFL Season" thread, where the last post was only 3 hours ago.  this is killing me, and I bet it's killing a few more people than me, as I have seen a huge decrease (or maybe I don't have the patience to find them) in threads that are non-league since the upgrade.

Buck,

Try this. From Activity->MY Activity Streams.  Select Unread (Non-League). Then click on edit this stream below the listing of all the sections that are in the stream. On read status click everything.

Save it as a new stream. Give it whatever name you want. 

Then you can set your bookmark to the name of the new stream. In my case.

http://tecmobowl.org/discover/21/

Actually, i created a stream just haven't documented how to implement it.

http://tecmobowl.org/discover/19/ - A non-league stream. Let me know if for some reason you get permissions errors about viewing it.

It should say in big letters Unread (Non-League)

Right next to that it will have a checkmark for setting it as your default search.

I'll post a screenshot later

8 hours ago, buck said:

yo, I am having trouble "filtering" the "league" threads.  how do I make my "filtering" permanent?  or how do I "trigger" my filter, I must not know how to do it.  it only seems to work once, then it goes back.

like the "old" forum, all I want to see is:  recent threads, minus league bullshit.  (I don't want only "unread", I want "recent").

I just went through 30+ posts (and load more activity) to get to the "2015 NFL Season" thread, where the last post was only 3 hours ago.  this is killing me, and I bet it's killing a few more people than me, as I have seen a huge decrease (or maybe I don't have the patience to find them) in threads that are non-league since the upgrade.

1 hour ago, Knobbe said:

Actually, i created a stream just haven't documented how to implement it.

http://tecmobowl.org/discover/19/ - A non-league stream. Let me know if for some reason you get permissions errors about viewing it.

It should say in big letters Unread (Non-League)

Right next to that it will have a checkmark for setting it as your default search.

I'll post a screenshot later

I made a how-to video on how to do this here: http://tecmobowl.org/forum/topic/67137-how-to-filter-content/

Alternatively, use Bruddog's method to see ALL (not just unread) content: Try this. From Activity->MY Activity Streams.  Select Unread (Non-League). Then click on edit this stream below the listing of all the sections that are in the stream. On read status click everything.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Updating the software

Here is a changelog of sorts

New or Changed Features

• When your link auto-embeds in a post such as with an image, YouTube video, Twitter link, etc. an option will now display to revert the embed back to a plain text link if you do not want the embed.
  • Facebook/Twitter integration improvements
  • If you are an administrator and encounter a system error, additional debug output will now display. Regular members will see the normal error message.
  • Placing a link to a Facebook status will embed when possible.
  • The Account Settings page now uses vertical rather than horizontal tabs to prevent overflow.
  • If Gravatar is enabled, and a user has not defined an profile photo, then their email address will be used to fetch from Gravatar unless explicitly set not to.
  • Gfycat embeds now use their oEmbed endpoint rather than their JS API.
  • Efficiency improvements to the search index
  • You can now close a poll independently of the topic

Important Fixes

In addition to dozens of smaller fixes this release includes fixes for the follow items that impacted many clients:

• Several security enhancements.
  • The posting parser has been made more efficient.
  • Some BBCode does not parse correctly in version 4 and we have applied some fixes for this. In general BBCode is deprecated so we only provide basic support.
  • Certain URLs from version 3 were not redirecting properly to the new version 4 format.
  • The timezone detection is now more robust and will more gracefully fail if it cannot determine a visitor's timezone.
  • Permission matrices have been reworked to send less data to prevent exceeding server limitations.
  • The database class now handles InnoDB deadlocks more gracefully, and some queries have been changed to reduce the likeliness of deadlocks.
  • Performance improvements to areas which perform large updates on the members table (for example, when editing permissions).
  • Multiple fixes for tag searching

I should be able to provide this going forward as opposed to simply

hold-onto-your-butts.gif

Edited by Knobbe

Well, it would appear that my problem was having Google PageSpeed installed and it breaking everything.

This issue has been fixed and also that whole adblock thing.

Working on the new post issue which very well might be resolved when re-caching the site posts is completed

Basically down to customized view new contents somewhat breaking though still showing new content.

The view new content customization menu should be easier to navigate.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see that I actually didn't get any replies back here.

Let's see if we can break some more.

Another upgrade, here are your additional features in addition to bug fixes

• Instant notifications are now dismissible.
  • The sidebar has been added back to the stream pages.
  • You can now sort by most downloaded in Downloads app.
  • A new setting has been added to disable the RSS feed for activity streams.

• 3 weeks later...

Another update

Here is the stuff you probably didn't need to know

• The "All Activity" activity stream now has an RSS feed.
  • The filter bar at the top of the activity stream no longer sticks to the stop of the screen when scrolling.
  • If you receive a browser notification your notification menu will now reload to get the latest notification.
  • More consistent visual feedback when a post submit or edit is processing to reduce duplicates.
  • Sidebar widgets now how rounded corners to match rest of Suite.

• 1 month later...

Site update/breakage coming your way

New Features:

Activity Stream enhancements:

• The filter dropdowns now have an "Apply" button for better usability (previously you had to click outside the dropdown).
  • The "Expanded/Collapsed" toggles are now clearer.
  • Hitting back from a clicked item in any activity stream now remembers your position and loaded results.

• 2 months later...

Updating again. Here are the pertinent changes. 

• Personal conversation management improvements:
    • Can now filter personal conversations to just read/unread.
    • Can now move multiple personal conversations into a different folder at once.
    • Can search by recipient/sender name.
  • Notifications about Calendar events now include the event date.
  • When the search index is being rebuilt, a message is now shown on the search results page to indicate why results may not be complete.

• 2 months later...

Another update.  This requires a cache rebuild so in the near future checking to see what posts are unread and site search will be wonky/non-functional until it completes.

Fixes/additions

• When a member changes their email or password they now get an email confirmation
  • There is now a setting to change the number of topics per page in the forum view
  • You can now press ctrl/cmd+enter in any editor window to submit the reply
  • There is now logic to prevent double-posting when the initial post encounters an error on submit
  • When a member is banned/suspended the system now shows a more friendly page with information on their ban. Previously it showed a permission denied page.

• 10 months later...
  • DFM changed the title to Forum Software Upgrade