Browns Season and **Playoff Challenge**

Cascius

Played through my first season with the Brownies and have to say it was actually pretty fun and challenging! Figured I would give a quick review for those who have yet to try it, and for a look back on the road to the playoffs playing as Cleveland. Feel free to share your strategies playing with the Browns or any tips/suggestions you may have. Also, I have a little challenge for you guys at the bottom of the post that I thought would be fun to try (go ahead and skip to bottom if you don't want to read my blabbing).

Edit: well I tried to upload the save but the website says I don't have permission. Is there a way to get an exception this one time??

-- Defense --

My main strategy on defense was playing a bend-but-don't-break style P1'ing the Browns best defender and RILB, Mike Johnson. This would mainly consist of eliminating the opposing team's breakaway run play (James Brooks' T-Form sweep, Ottis Anderson's Weakside Open and etc.) and rushing the corresponding formation's play-action or alternate run, although team's like Houston as I would learn the hard way demand a different approach to containing their explosive offensive attack. I also routinely employed LOLB Blaylock to lock down pitches or reverses to the topside which came in handy against Megget sweeps and the like.

Sack numbers for a little perspective:

post-15409-0-78348500-1446785978_thumb.j post-15409-0-22624700-1446786030_thumb.j

As I played with this defense deeper into the season, especially against tougher playbooks, sometimes I just had to guess or go with a gut feeling which lead to some learning opportunities (i.e. a 70-yard breakaway run by Butts right up the middle, Moon laughing at my slow-ass defense while he throws for 300+). But even with my struggles on the defensive end which included some cringe-worthy CPU takeover diving and opposing RB's popcorning their way to the endzone, I was able to eek out the top spot in the defensive rankings (#3 against the Pass, #1 against the Rush), beating out the Steelers no less.

post-15409-0-70931600-1446784836_thumb.j

**Quick Note** I played according to TPC online rules so no 4th man on FG/PAT, no sacking Esiason right after the snap and etc.

On third and longs, I would drop back into the secondary often switching between LCB Frank Minnifeild or SS Felix Wright. This was clutch in a few key games for me as a their coverage ratings are both fairly decent (50 MS, 44 PI, 38 MS 50 PI, respectively) and Minnifield ended up having one of the defenses two interceptions during the course of the season (Matthews nabbed the other one). Yeah, if you want a defense with playmaking ability jesus christ do not choose Cleveland. It's honestly painful sometimes especially when half your secondary is in bad condition and you're playing the Oilers.   

-- Offense --

This is clearly the most exciting part about playing with the Browns. The Browns as an offensive whole are versatile in that there are a few formation sets that mesh well with their offensive strengths, and it's fun to experiment with the playbook to see what plays QB Browns, the M&M twins and Co. can pull off.

post-15409-0-79124400-1446779924_thumb.j

After fiddling with the playbook for the first 7-8 weeks of the season, I settled into a nice rhythm working with these^ although the default playbook works fine as well. Additionally, I found the motion plays like the ones the Redskins and Giants have in their defaults can be successful, but after I played and lost to the Jets relying too heavily on the motion aspect, I had to rethink my strategy a bit.

QB Browns was my overall MVP leading the league in passing yards and passing TDs (50 bomb).

post-15409-0-79124000-1446786484_thumb.j 

(Apparently Harbaugh decided to not suck this season and throw for more yards than Montana)

post-15409-0-85151800-1446786809_thumb.j 

post-15409-0-59314000-1446786832_thumb.j

I have to say, QB Browns to Slaughter is a combo I utilized A LOT throughout the season, and Slaughter did work either drawing opposing safeties deep for easy check downs or exploiting weak secondaries for bombs. Slaughter led receivers with 38.3 Yards/Reception and 23 TDs and was second behind God status Jerry Rice in total receiving yards, Rice having 1,687 and Slaughter having 1,534. When no one is open and you're getting rushed, it's a good bet to loft it to Slaughter on a deep route and watch as he leaps to make the grab.

Using the M&M bros was also fun, although I'll admit I don't see what you guys see in K-Mack. He ended the season with an abysmal 3.4 YPC while Metcalf was tied for 10th atop the yards per carry rankings on the season at 8.3. This could be due to the fact that I'm terri-bad at using power backs in this game which would attest to the Brownies ending up dead last in overall rushing yards on the season with 872. 

Overall I ended the season 12-4, losing to the Giants, Jets, Chargers, and Oilers. I got my revenge in the 2nd divisional game against the Oilers thrashing them something like 30-10 after I lost 35-17 in the first matchup.

If you got this far, thanks for reading my post! I encourage you guys to play a season with Brownies if you haven't as they are really fun and challenging and an overall great squad to use.

As a bonus challenge (sort of) I thought it would be fun to see if you could take my 12-4 Brownies to the Super Bowl! I have yet to begin my playoff run so I would like really like to see how you guys fare and maybe we can compare :D. Rules are to play according to TPC rules. Sub players and change plays to your liking. Also, if the NFC shakes out anything like I think it will, you might go against a face-rolling 16-0 49ers squad. Good Luck and thanks again for reading!

Edit: well I tried to upload the save but the website says I don't have permission. Is there a way to get an exception this one time?? 

Great read! It's fun to hear about people's first experiences with various teams. There is always one or two surprises. 

I wish I had the stats from my Browns season. I think I went about 6-10, but I was playing by scoring on defense + special teams only. K Kauric must have got a zillion FG, with Mack chipping in with a few return TDs.

The Browns are fun to play with, because they have just enough ok players on defense to make you believe you can stop anyone. Plus they have a really tough and fun division having to play the Oilers, Steelers and Bengals twice a season. I am always frustrated with the play of LB4 Matthews, however. WAY too slow on blitzes or crashing the middle on dives. Pretty much a waste of space.

Hard to believe you only got 2 INT all season! Must have been super frustrating. 

Played through my first season with the Brownies and have to say it was actually pretty fun and challenging! 

Are you new to playing TSB?  If so, cool, welcome and thanks for posting.  If not, how is this the first time you've played with the Browns?

Great read! It's fun to hear about people's first experiences with various teams. 

I wish I had the stats from my Browns season. I think I went about 6-10, but I was playing by scoring on defense + special teams only. K Kauric must have got a zillion FG, with Mack chipping in with a few return TDs.

I'm with Majik - I wish more people would post game or season recaps.  I need to try more of these "no offense - challenges".

I need to try more of these "no offense - challenges".

You really do. Got hooked on D/ST seasons. ..winning it all with the Vikings was an unbelievable ride. Got 22? picks with Browner, and Walker went bananas on returns, and Fuad kicked us to glory...that was after losing with Pit,Chi,Cin,Buf,Hou,SF,TB, and KC..tough stuff.