Johnny johnson

tecmoalpha

maybe I don't understand what you are saying? but, are you comparing "actual career YPC" of JJ0k to Barry's "expected YPC stat that some random asshole came up with"?  uh, ok..?  didn't play in the SAME ERA?  barry averaged almost 5 YPC FOR REAL in the same era as JJ0k.  

oops...well dang, shonn greene is the career leader in EXPECTED YPC, better than Jim Brown, Barry, and even JJ0k!  

man, what great, meaningless random stat!  thanks for nothing.

Lol, you missed the point: you pulled out a random stat: ypc. so I did too. GG bruh!

ok, I think I get the joke.  I will have to sleep on it.

but, the questions remain:  

is JJ0k a better (or equivalent) RB than Barry Sanders, regardless of "era", even though they played in the same "era"?  

is Shonn Greene a better RB than every RB ever, regardless of "era"?

Edited by buck

JJ0k.......???  That shit's weak. He did a lot more than take handoffs. Johnson and Sanders were completely different backs in completely different situations in their careers.  I definitley think Johnson was a better all around player who could run, catch, block, or do anything on offense you asked of him.....Sanders, if you think about it, was pretty one dimentional.....but he was REALLY GOOD at that one dimention.  Just hand him the ball and see what happens...(and I really like Barry)...but did Sanders ever have almost 70 catches in one season???  I don't think so. 

Yeah but Sanders didn't have to be good at any of that useless crap like blocking and catching, dude on average got you a first in two carries. Half the time the guy didn't even have to have blockers to get into the secondary, just look at NFL Films highlight reels. There would be 2-3 guys in the backfield by the time he got the ball and he would just dance past them and then dance all the way to the endzone. And since we're looking at stats: from '90-'91 Barry had 77 receptions averaging

10.2 yards per. JJ had 54 @ 8.6. The only time JJ averaged even close to Barry was in '93 when the Jets had Boomer. Barry had 3 different starting QB's that year...Barry was a once in a lifetime back

Edited by Cascius

on December 10th, 1994, in the final season of Johnny Johnson's 5-year NFL career, JJ0k was finally given the opportunity to go HEAD-TO-HEAD with Barry Sanders, at Giants stadium.

Lions win 18-7

Lions coach: Wayne Fontes

Jets coach: Pete Carroll

Lions QB: Dave Kreig!

Jets QB: Boomer

Barry: 23 rushes 127 yards (5.5 ypc), 3 catches 13 yards, 1 rec TD

JJ0k: 15 rushes 64 yards (4.27 ypc), 5 catches 40 yards

other interesting TSB notes about this game:

Brad Baxter scored the Jets TD.

Mel Gray was still returning kicks/punts for Lions.

Ronnie Lott was playing FS for Jets.  

Lions WR Herman Moore lead the Lions in receptions that day.

Jets WR Rob Moore led the Jets in receptions that day.

Former Viking WR Anthony Carter was a WR for the Lions.

Former Redskins WR Art Monk was a WR for the Jets.

<buck's TROLL-MODE set to BEAST>

Edited by buck

I agree Barry is a once in a lifetime rb

In real life of course..but a dam video game...I have never had Barry destroy me in a tecmo game like the the great white/black guy..the frigging cpu was running him at me throwing to him all over me some idiot got hurt they put him in and he returned all over my ass..I've played a lot of tecmo...either my nes or jj attributes were possesed..I would hate to play against that guy with a human opponent it would be almost cheating..

Johnny Johnson was a once in a lifetime typa back too, he was just always stuck in sh!tty situations, and teams who either over used him and played him while he was still hurt, or under utilized his vast range of ability.....There is no doubt that at 6'3 230 lbs, the speed, power, running style, and coodination he had, coulda' been one of the best players in the NFL.....but hell, talent is only about 1/4th of it the other 3/4th's is luck.  

(Here's a perfect example...If in 1990, Emmitt Smith was drafted to the Cardinals, and Johnny Johnson to the Cowboys, we'd be having an entirely different conversation right now)

If in 1990, Emmitt Smith was drafted to the Cardinals, and Johnny Johnson to the Cowboys, we'd be having an entirely different conversation right now)

IF.....

If ands and buts were candy and nuts it would be christmas all year long...lol

If Ricky Watters stays with the Niners in that offense he is one of the best all around backs in history

If Bo Jackson signed with Tampa Bay.....nevermind

If Elway didn't force a trade he and Dickerson could have played at Indianapolis at the same time.

If, if, if

If my uncle had tits he'd be my aunt........LOL

Johnny Johnson coulda been a contender....but shit happens for a reason...he's not!

All tell you what......................If they were gonna make a "Best that never was II" Johnny Johnson would make the most interesting story...and he still had a stellar career.  In the prime of his career he simply walked away from the game.  His heart wasn't in it anymore after the Jets.  I do wish he stayed from a fans perspective because he woulda' been the starting tailback for the 49'ers the last year they won the Superbowl in 95'........there's your 'what if' Fes75.....and I'm sure you wouldn't have minded that.  

under the theory of parallel universes, which the science eggheads really like getting their rocks off with lately it seems, there is a universe where johnny johnson is 75ms / 100hp / 6bc / 94rec....... which means it is entirely possible that there is some spooky tecmo action at a distance going on between our universe and that one from time to time (and in the right hands, snatch).

under the theory of parallel universes, which the science eggheads really like getting their rocks off with lately it seems, there is a universe where johnny johnson is 75ms / 100hp / 6bc / 94rec....... which means it is entirely possible that there is some spooky tecmo action at a distance going on between our universe and that one from time to time (and in the right hands, snatch).

Go, Majik, Go!

I agree with what was stated above, about Barry having a poor offensive line, yet had tremendous success statistically. We won't even talk about QBs. I mean, when has Adrian Peterson ever played with a decent QB, and the dude runs like a madman? Well, scratch that, in 09 he played along Brett Favre (most of you probably don't know who he is -- he was drafted in 91 so doesn't make it into TSB) and the Vikings were one a few plays from the Super Bowl. 

But my point is, let's be clear about what player is responsible for making JJok a pro bowl caliber player in TSB. It's not Rosenpenis. It's not even Tom Tupa. It's the Cardinals' left tackle, LOIS SHARPE. The man is a top-five TSB OL

Who clears the way for JJok to get those long, easy gains? Who protects Tupa's/Rosenpenis' blind side for those long seconds waiting for JJok to get down the field on a burn route? Who brings the LT 50 ms to make JJok look like a god on KRs? Luis, Luis, Luis. 

It's time to face the facts. Luis was selected to 3 Pro Bowls (87,88,89), while JJok only went to one (91). 

Of course, Ron Wolfley went to FOUR pro bowls (86-89), but I don't need to reiterate how I feel about him. 

^^^FUCK THAT.  Luis Sharpe is a good blocker, but what about the other 9 guys on the field that give Johnson absolutely NO HELP.  He has to do everything on that offense alone, with no support, and thats a fact.  "Long eazy gains???"......bull$#!t......there's no such thing as long eazy gains when you're playin with PHX, and everybody knows what's coming...Protecting Rosenbach's blindside???  He has to have a hot game just to hit the blindside of a barn more than a couple times in a row no matter how much time you give him in the pocket.  Johnsons' the only player athleticly superior enough to go up, or dive back and make a play outta one of his attroshisley inaccurate over or underthrows.  Basically your point is inaccurate, you didn't cracc any secret code, and you don't got it figured all out........Johnson's still the most feared, dynamic, best all around player in this game, with nothin' more than a couple of good safeties on the other side of the ball to help him, which makes the things he does all the more mindblowingly impressive.

(p.s.  especially vs human opponents where they can just key in on him)