fatcheerleader

NHL General Discussion Mega Thread

I think the NHL made the right deal. It gives them enough exposure on national TV with NBC where they can showcase their superstar players and teams, while appeasing the hockey devout with different matchups on Versus. I remember when ESPN had the NHL back in the day, it was always Colorado, Dallas, and Detroit playing all the time. I suppose those were the good teams at the time, but I feel there has been more variety on Versus.

As for the playoffs, I'm surprised the Pens are up right now. I hope they advance, of course, but I had actually picked the Bruins out of the east to advance to the Finals. Not sure if that's going to happen. Vancouver is still the team to beat despite getting destroyed last night.

[Why do people bash Versus anyways? It's right next to the NFL Network for me, seems like a prime spot.

VERSUS was owned by Comcast. Comcast made a bunch of other carriers mad and they refused to carry VS. So VS wasn't available in many areas. That has since slowly changed, but VS is still not available in many areas including in most hotels.

With NBC owning VS now (and apparently they're going to rebrand it as NBC Sportschannel), the channel's availability should improve.

This is why the hate, simple as that. I expect with NBC involved, these silly issues will disappear soon enough an VS will be just as available as ESPN.

Wow - Caps return the favor on a lucky game winner!

:lol:

I've been updating the bracket in the first post if anyone's noticed or cares...

:lol:

I miss the Whalers!

Rene: "What the hell are you doing?"

Brodie: "Finishing my game..."

Rene: "No, no, no! You promised me breakfast."

Brodie: "Breakfast? Breakfast, schmrekfest. Look at the score. I'm only in the middle of the second, and I'm winning 12 to 2. Breakfasts come and go,

Rene. Now, Hartford—the whale—hey, they only beat Vancouver once... maybe twice in a lifetime."

"What is icing?"

"Icing happen, when the puck come down... bang! You know, before de udder guys. Nobody there, you know. My arm go... comes up, then the game stop. The game stop, then start up!"

This is some of the best playoff hockey I've seen in a while.

Aside from the Wings sweep and #1 Caps over #8 Rangers, which were no surprises, every other matchup is fairly even. Rangers took the Caps to OT twice.

Blackhawks just won in OT, came back from 3 down to force game 7 vs. Canucks.

Philly and Buffalo going to game 7 - last two have gone to OT. Every game has been decided by 1 goal, except game 3 which Philly won by 2.

Bruins come back from 2 down to lead 3-2 - winning the last 2 in OT and double OT. Ference flips off Habs fans.

Preds upset the Ducks 4-2. League's leading goal scorer is sent packing early.

Penguins up 3-2 over Tampa. One game went to double OT.

Sharks up 3-2 over LA. Two games decided in OT including the 6-5 slugfest where SJ came back from 4-0 down to win it.

Philly and Buffalo going to game 7 - last two have gone to OT. Every game has been decided by 1 goal, except game 3 which Philly won by 2.

Bruins come back from 2 down to lead 3-2 - winning the last 2 in OT and double OT. Penguins up 3-2 over Tampa. One game went to double OT.

#1 Washington - resting :lol:

GAME 6 - Tonight (Do I want TB because I hate PIT or do I want PIT so WAS can eliminate them next? I'm thinking I want TB.)

#4 Pittsburgh

#5 Tampa Bay

GAME 6 - Tuesday (Go Bruins! I'd like to see a BOS-WAS matchup for this thread but that won't happen until the Conference Finals at earliest.)

#3 Boston

#6 Montreal

GAME 7 - Tuesday (Go Buffalo! I hate PHI everything.)

#2 Philadelphia

#7 Buffalo

#1 Washington - resting :lol:

I had a preseason vision that the Caps would take it all this year and the Bruins dynasty would start next year. 2013, 2015, 2016, 2018. So....if the Caps win it all this year, I'm buying a 2013 Stanley Cup Champs t-shirt.

GAME 6 - Tonight (Do I want TB because I hate PIT or do I want PIT so WAS can eliminate them next? I'm thinking I want TB.)

You want TB.

GAME 6 - Tuesday (Go Bruins! I'd like to see a BOS-WAS matchup for this thread but that won't happen until the Conference Finals at earliest.)

Would love to see a Boston-Washington conference finals.

GAME 7 - Tuesday (Go Buffalo! I hate PHI everything.)

I want a Boston-Philly rematch from last year.