fatcheerleader

NHL General Discussion Mega Thread

306 posts in this topic

Capitals have 0 Stanley Cups :-(

Which is why they did very little to celebrate.  It was cool they acknowledged it - but anything more would have been, like you said, silly. 

Fans should care and make a big deal about it.  Ovy and the Caps should not.

It sucks when you love sports but don't know anything or anyone in this thread about sports..lol..feel like the guy who doesn't know anything about cars.

I feel the same way. I guess that us southerners should stick to our non-ice related sports.

Another NHL graphic I've been working on.  This time inspired by NBA JAM

Fatcheerleader's Capitals vs. Bodom's Bruins

56caa50b3ed00_NHLJAM.jpg.c92984e8d9a1d96

For those following along, I've made a Tecmo style playoff bracket (using my mini logo graphic above).

58f0f46483639_4-14-201712-09-55PM.thumb.png.446403a1ed182973f843f0632518540c.png

On 2017-04-14 at 10:10 AM, Bodom said:

For those following along, I've made a Tecmo style playoff bracket (using my mini logo graphic above).

58f0f46483639_4-14-201712-09-55PM.thumb.png.446403a1ed182973f843f0632518540c.png

Love this bud. Thanks for creating it. 

On 4/16/2017 at 11:56 AM, halifax said:

Love this bud. Thanks for creating it. 

No problem.  I enjoy creating NHL playoff brackets.  I should say upfront that I did not create the 8-bit Stanley Cup.  I found that online somewhere and thought it looked cool and fit with the 8-bit theme.  What better way to combine my favorite sport with my favorite video game (if only NHL94 had season mode... and people could figure out how to make the COM tougher, among other hacks). 

I'll be updating that bracket above for each round of the playoffs.

BTW, If you're into cool sports graphics, check out this guys page.

http://epoole88.tumblr.com/

Posted (edited)

On 4/14/2017 at 11:56 AM, fatcheerleader said:

Lets Go Caps!

I had the Caps over Ducks in my bracket finals.

Original predictions:

CAPS over Leafs in 5

PENS over Jackets in 7

HABS over Rangers in 6

SENS over Bs in 6

HAWKS over Preds in 6

DUCKS over Flames in 6

OILERS over Sharks in 6

WILD over Blues in 7

Who I'd like to see win: 

Tier 1:  Bs

Tier 2:  Caps, Preds

Tier 3:  Blues, Wild

Indifferent:  Ducks, Leafs, Blue Jackets, Sens, Sharks, Flames

Do not want to win:

Hawks - I'm still not over 2013 and I'm jealous of their success

Rangers - I like this team, it's just a NY thing

Pens - I like Crosby more than most Boston fans, just don't want to see a back to back

Oilers - Chiarelli will try to take credit, but their success is due to high 1st round draft picks for sucking over the past 10 years

Habs - because f*ck Montreal

Edited by Bodom

Bodom, you better pull for MY CAPS when your Bruins get eliminated!  I don't care how much you like Smashville now that they swept the Blackhawks.

Go Wild!!  3-3 now.  I like Budreau.

Leafs and Oilers are here to stay.  

I don't like seeing so much referee TV time when I watch my hockey. That's one of the main reasons I have soured on the NFL. 

Lastly, ..!.. the Penguins.  Caps go to Game 7 with the Leafs and the Pens have almost a week off to rest and prep.  Ugh.

On 4/22/2017 at 5:56 PM, fatcheerleader said:

Bodom, you better pull for MY CAPS when your Bruins get eliminated!  I don't care how much you like Smashville now that they swept the Blackhawks.

My rooting interest changes as the playoffs go on, but right now, yes, I am hoping the Caps win it all.  If the Caps fall to the Leafs then I'm jumping on the winner of Nashville/St. Louis.

On 4/22/2017 at 5:56 PM, fatcheerleader said:

Lastly, ..!.. the Penguins.  Caps go to Game 7 with the Leafs and the Pens have almost a week off to rest and prep.  Ugh.

The Pens are without Letang.  Rest or not, if the Caps can't beat them this year, they never will.

Disappointed there were no game 7's in round one, but 18 of the 42 games went to OT, which broke an NHL record.  Intense games all around.  I went 5-3 picking series winners - and despite picking them to win, am very relieved the Canadiens and Blackhawks were eliminated.

Round 2 predictions:

CAPS over Pens in 7  (pulling for Washington)

RANGERS over Sens in 5  (pulling for New York - salty about Ottawa taking out Boston)

PREDS over Blues in 7  (no rooting interest, but I hope whoever wins, wins the West)

DUCKS over Oilers in 7  (pulling for Anaheim)

I would be absolutely shocked if the Senators took down the Rangers, but the other 3 series could go either way.

Well I'll be damned... Ottawa takes out NY.  In 6!  That's the beauty of the NHL Playoffs.  Erik Karlsson has been an absolute stud in these playoffs.

Two Game 7's tonight.

PIT @ WAS 7:30 EST @fatcheerleader

EDM @ ANH 10pm EST

Updated Tecmo NHL playoff bracket due shortly after.

@Knobbe How are the NBA sweeps going? 8)

To give you an idea of the differential in popularity with the NFL in America versus other sports, ESPN's category tag for content by league type has the NFL (currently in its off-season) as being more popular than the NHL (currently in its playoffs post-season).

Ouch.

Just now, Maynard_G_Krebs said:

To give you an idea of the differential in popularity with the NFL in America versus other sports, ESPN's category tag for content by league type has the NFL (currently in its off-season) as being more popular than the NHL (currently in its playoffs post-season).

Ouch.

ESPN can eat my dick.  :-P 

They dropped hockey back in 2005, which is when I dropped them.  Their NHL coverage is a joke and their staff continuously reaches out to NHL media and fans on twitter for permission to use their material on their site - to which hockey media and fans always tell them to "take a hike".  I'd say most NHL fans share my sentiments above.

Popularity has never meant anything to me.  If I wanted to like the most popular things in America I'd drink Budweiser and listen pop music.

On 5/10/2017 at 10:49 AM, Bodom said:

Well I'll be damned... Ottawa takes out NY.  In 6!  That's the beauty of the NHL Playoffs.  Erik Karlsson has been an absolute stud in these playoffs.

Two Game 7's tonight.

PIT @ WAS 7:30 EST @fatcheerleader

EDM @ ANH 10pm EST

Updated Tecmo NHL playoff bracket due shortly after.

@Knobbe How are the NBA sweeps going? 8)

I wasn't aware the NHL was still in business.  Bully on them!

2 minutes ago, Knobbe said:

I wasn't aware the NHL was still in business.  Bully on them!

Understandable.  Casual sports fans who watch ESPN reality TV usually don't.

51 minutes ago, Bodom said:

Understandable.  Casual sports fans who watch ESPN reality TV usually don't.

Reality TV? If anyone's spending their time watching that they need to get out more.

I'm really into Fargo though....with all the snow and ice that's sort of like the NHL playoffs.

Otherwise, I never grew up playing nor watching hockey. It gets cold here but there aren't enough ponds here and it doesn't stay cold enough for ice to form.

I just really will never care about it though our back and forth is fun.

4 minutes ago, Knobbe said:

Otherwise, I never grew up playing nor watching hockey.

I'd tell you to give it a shot.  Not because I think hockey needs more fans.  I don't care about that... and would prefer less casual fans, anyways (in all sports).  But because most people who watch it for the first time end up really liking it.  But to each their own.  Unless you insult it, then I will engage in a lifelong debate about it.

4 minutes ago, Knobbe said:

I just really will never care about it though our back and forth is fun.

Agree.  Plus, I was re-reading this entire thread recently and noticed you made one of the first anti-hockey comments on page 1 (hence my @knobbe tag)... so... you started it!

Just now, Bodom said:

But because most people who watch it for the first time end up really liking it

It's not like I've never watched hockey before. In fact, I've attended an NHL in person. I've never actually been to either a NFL or NBA game in person.

We have a high school level team here in Lincoln. Those are fun to go to on the occasion I score tickets for them.

I just don't really care about hockey at all. To be honest, I'd probably rather watch soccer on TV and I don't care about soccer either.

12 minutes ago, Knobbe said:

It's not like I've never watched hockey before. In fact, I've attended an NHL in person. I've never actually been to either a NFL or NBA game in person.

We have a high school level team here in Lincoln. Those are fun to go to on the occasion I score tickets for them.

I just don't really care about hockey at all. To be honest, I'd probably rather watch soccer on TV and I don't care about soccer either.

Hey, to each their own, I guess.  I prefer fast, physical, non-stop action... players who sacrifice their body for a common goal.  The more bruises, broken bones and missing teeth the more glory.  Now don't get me wrong, I like watching soccer from time to time.  When the World Cup rolls around I am glued to the tv (pending international game times) - and I've watched an EPL game or two over the past year.  But if you enjoy watching soccer more than hockey, then we are just on different pages.