NCAA 2015-16

keirre21

I liked your season preview and agree with most of it but you're dead wrong on VT & OKL because all they do is disappoint! Except for the last few years they are almost always way overrated. I know Stoops wins 9-10 games a lot but he always loses a game he shouldn't. VT never has a QB (since 7) and in the end you can't win without one. Bud Foster is a great DC and while the Hokies are famous for their Special Teams play Beamer has slipped off a bit there. I would bet neither win their conference.

More importantly, are we going to make a college football rom together?

How about I am the Executive Producer and out source all the work?!

:-]

I would love to make a college rom together. Division of Labor would be nice

I would love to make a college rom together. Division of Labor would be nice

here's a small season preview:

Ohio State is the most talented team and should be #1. However, I don't think they will come into the playoffs undefeated. TCU is not the second best team in the land, they are not in my top 10 (I have them in the 11-15 range) but that does not mean I think they are a bad team. Their defense is will be their undoing in 2-3 losses this season. Kirk Herbstreit was correct in stating that there are about 15 teams that can win the title. I believe on once you get into the playoff anything can happen and there are about 15 teams I think have a real chance of making the playoff.

Conference champs:  
SEC: Hardest conference to pick, I thought UGA, BAMA, AUB, Ole Miss and LSU are all very close when I went over each team before the season. So for now I'll go with LSU. But that is subject to change

ACC: Virginia Tech
AAC: Cincinatti
Big 10: Ohio State
Big 12: Oklahoma
Pac 12: Another tough one to pick.  But in the end I like UCLA
Mountain West: Boise State
MAC: Western Mich is the best team but their schedule is too Brutal. So I'm taking Toledo
Confernce USA: Western KY
Sun Belt : Georgia Southern

Teams that will surprise:

1.) UCLA- I actually rank them 2nd coming into the season. They welcome back all their play makers on offense and I think losing Hundley will actually  drop their negeative play percentage drastically. Their defense is rock solid and built great for the pac-12.

2.) Va tech- Easily a top 15 team this season. Defense will be lights out and I believe they actually have  a decent shot and beating Ohio State out the gate. The ACC will be down (more on that below) and they will benefit directly from it).

3.)Oklahoma/LSU/Ole Miss/Stanford/ASU- Only a few people have seen the light on these teams but all 5 are capable of winning it all and I expect all to reach 10 wins by season's end

Others (not playoff contenders) that are being under sold: Ball State, NC State, Texas Tech,  Temple, Purdue, Cal

Teams that will disappoint:

1.) Clemson: I don't know what everyone sees with this team. QB T. Boyd and the WRs are special but they lost nearly all their OL (including their starting LT right before fall camp and graduated all their major play makers from last season's outstanding defense. And the lost the best OC in college Football (chad Morris-SMU Head Coach) They are an 8-4 team at best.

SN: I think FSU and Ga Tech struggle to meet expectations as well. They won't be bad teams but neither will be a real threat to make the playoffs like some believe

2.) Miss St/ Arizona: I group these two together because they are both in the bottom of the top 25 in most polls but I believe they are both will either finish last or next to last in their own divisions.

3.) Tennessee/ USC: Both teams are a year away. Both fan bases are excited and think they will take huge leaps but both will have a loss by the end on week 3 in the season and I think too much was made of their bowl wins over 2 very mediocre big 10 teams

Other disappointments (not bad seasons but lower than most think): Wisconsin, TCU, Oregon, Ok State, Memphis, Marshall.

Playoff teams:

I think this will be a very fluid situation all season but right now:  Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma, UCLA

I was totally impressed with UCLA (I'm a CFB west coast hater) in that bowl game vs K-State.  They looked like giants among boys and were hitting HARD and were very confident.  I was thinking that they were gonna have a bad ass team this year.

RE: NCAA ROM - I'm in, too.

Edited by buck

I was totally impressed with UCLA (I'm a CFB west coast hater) in that bowl game vs K-State.  They looked like giants among boys and were hitting HARD and were very confident.  I was thinking that they were gonna have a bad ass team this year.

RE: NCAA ROM - I'm in, too.

Every year I only get so far on a NCAA rom and then stop because I don't have the time. I had all the rosters done for 32 teams, all the helmets done, an intro screen done and a nice playbook to import from another rom but then I didn't have the time to finish.

Edited by keirre21

Every year I only get so far on a NCAA rom and then stop because I don't have the time. I had all the rosters done for 32 teams, all the helmets done, an intro screen done and a nice playbook to import from another rom but then I didn't have the time to finish.

PM me a list of 32 teams divided into 8 groups of 4.  (I could see there being a "division 2" or other small schools 4-team conference, but that's just an idea.  I have no issues with making it all the top 32-division 1 teams)

for each team, rank*:

QB, RB , WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, CB, S, K as a:  0,1,2,3  

with 0 being the worst, 3 being the very best (relative to this particular set of 32 teams!)

*and I don't mean you need to rank ALL the teams players, just the starter(s) or the unit "in general".

if any other notes are needed (like a running QB system) or whatever, then throw that in there as well.

that will get the ball rolling.

Edited by buck

I think we should start a thread separate from this one titled, "NCAA 2015-16" and maybe we ask Knobbe if he wants to give it the official TBorg stamp of approval as the official NCAA rom from here.  I was going to start a thread for the rom but actually wasn't sure where!  I'm rusty around here.  Download Support says for finished roms so I decided to wait.

PM me a list of 32 teams divided into 8 groups of 4.  (I could see there being a "division 2" or other small schools 4-team conference, but that's just an idea.  I have no issues with making it all the top 32-division 1 teams)

for each team, rank*:

QB, RB , WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, CB, S, K as a:  0,1,2,3  

with 0 being the worst, 3 being the very best (relative to this particular set of 32 teams!)

*and I don't mean you need to rank ALL the teams players, just the starter(s) or the unit "in general".

if any other notes are needed (like a running QB system) or whatever, then throw that in there as well.

that will get the ball rolling.

I like that idea rom of a 0, 1, 2, 3 and grouping them that way.  I have Phil Steele's magazine and a few others that rank the teams we will probably want on the rom and they even have them sorted and ranked by positions.  I would gladly type them up and post them in the rom thread if you guys want.  And, we could brainstorm about teams to have in the rom too.  I'm biased about your idea to add FBS teams to the FCS group as a single division but think the majority would want just the big boys in the rom.

The rom I was working on for this season was going to have 32 teams with at least one team from each conference. As seen below. Now I caution using phil steele (which I have since 2000) because those are projected rosters and are different from who normally plays. Plus I'd wait some weeks on nailing all te teams teams to get a good feel for every one team There is a tendency to over- react to on here are my teams I had going into the season.  

1. Georgia
  2. Tennessee 
  3. Bama
  4. Auburn
  5. LSU- SEC Chmp
  6. Arkansas
  7. Texas A&M
  8. Ole Miss
  9. Oregon
  10. Stanford
  11. Utah
  12. USC
  13. UCLA- PAC 12 Champ
  14. Arizona St
  15. NC
  16. NC State
  17. FSU
  18. Va Tech- ACC Champ
  19. Oklahoma- Big 12 Champ
  20. Oklahoma st
  21. Baylor
  22. TCU
  23. Ohio State- Big 10 Champ
  24. Michigan State
  25. Wisconsin
  26. Penn State
  27. Notre Dame
  28. Boise st- Mountain West Champ
  29. Cincinnati- AAC Champ
  30. Toledo- MAC Champ
  31. Western KY- Conference USA Champ
  32. Georgia Southern- Sun Belt Champ

The rom I was working on for this season was going to have 32 teams with at least one team from each conference. As seen below. Now I caution using phil steele (which I have since 2000) because those are projected rosters and are different from who normally plays. Plus I'd wait some weeks on nailing all te teams teams to get a good feel for every one team There is a tendency to over- react to on here are my teams I had going into the season.  

I like that concept.

I have Phil Steele's magazine and a few others that rank the teams we will probably want on the rom and they even have them sorted and ranked by positions.  I would gladly type them up and post them in the rom thread if you guys want.  And, we could brainstorm about teams to have in the rom too.  I'm biased about your idea to add FBS teams to the FCS group as a single division but think the majority would want just the big boys in the rom.

hey, let's see it.  we'll use caution.

The 0-4 ranking thing works nice but I'll give you insight as to how I think when rating players (after I completed the rosters):

1.) Keep proportions of good players the same as OG rom for all skill postions.

2.) Create upper limits for best player stats (ex: 63 PC for QB, 63 MS for RB, 69 INT for DB)

3a.) Rank all 32 teams offensively and defensively. 

3b.) top 10 players at each position (except OL) with returning  all americans given top billing

4.) Go through and actually rate those players players from 3b.)

5.) Rank others accordingly given special attention to team's strengths and weaknesses

6.) Go through each team and tone down or bump up each player based on overall team rating

7.) Rank OLs by entire unit 

Thank yall so much. I can give some ratings help with LSU if needed. Will be unbiased as best I can and realistic to create a great rom. I am knowledgeable in the SEC, mostly the West but I know a bit about the east too. Would love to help with LSU at least.

Input from guys who actually watch their teams all the time and/or live near them is invaluable. It would be great if you'd help out with LSU

The 0-4 ranking thing works nice but I'll give you insight as to how I think when rating players (after I completed the rosters):

1.) Keep proportions of good players the same as OG rom for all skill postions.

2.) Create upper limits for best player stats (ex: 63 PC for QB, 63 MS for RB, 69 INT for DB)

3a.) Rank all 32 teams offensively and defensively. 

3b.) top 10 players at each position (except OL) with returning  all americans given top billing

4.) Go through and actually rate those players players from 3b.)

5.) Rank others accordingly given special attention to team's strengths and weaknesses

6.) Go through each team and tone down or bump up each player based on overall team rating

7.) Rank OLs by entire unit 

0-3, and it is just a ballpark thing to get started.  of course guys get bumped and dinked as needed.  I'm cool with this list.

I will post the position rankings later today after I cut the lawn.  Bodom has volunteered to be a Game Tester.  Maybe we could recruit Keithisgood and/or Elway to help with the graphics/helmets.  Hopefully they will read this!

Buck, what rom do you think we should use as the base?  My NCAA rom from last year is super vanilla, just like the original and is glitch free.  I used the base 32 team rom from here.  I did a lot of NCAA specific graphics too.  

Keirre, your list of teams isn't in any order I'm guessing and was just a brainstorm list especially with Ohio State at #23.  I think we need to iron out what teams are going in and are not.  I need Florida on the list (davefmurray back me up here!) and love that they should be one of the worst teams on the game and just like I enjoy being the Patriots on the original game I would love that challenge.  Penn State lost to Temple, they're out!  haha I think putting them in groups of 4 from each conference we want is they way to go.  The majority of people playing the game probably want the big programs over the smaller schools even though I'm a FCS fan.

The Option, Two Point Conversion and College Playoffs Bracket come to mind too.  Sorry I'm all over the place with this post.  I'm just so excited!  :)

Here are the teams I used in my rom from last season.

1 OSU (SF)

2 ORE (PHI)

3 TCU (NYG)

4 ALA (BUF)

5 MSU (CHI)

6 FSU (HOU)

7 GT (KC)

8 BAY (HOU2)

9 GA (RAI)

10 UCL (TB)

11 MIZ (MIA)

12 MSS (DEN)

13 WIS (DET)

14 ASU (RAM)

15 CLM (WAS)

16 BSE (CLE)

17 ARZ (DAL)

18 KST (MIN)

19 OLE (SD)

20 AUB (CIN)

21 NEB (PHX)

22 ND (GB)

23 DUK (SEA)

24 MIN (NO)

25 LSU (PIT)

26 OKL (NYJ)

27 UF (ATL)

28 PSU (NE)

29 IOW (IND)

30 NAV (EVEN)

31 ARM (EVEN)

32 MIC (WORST)

Buck, what rom do you think we should use as the base?  My NCAA rom from last year is super vanilla, just like the original and is glitch free.  I used the base 32 team rom from here.  I did a lot of NCAA specific graphics too.  

Keirre, your list of teams isn't in any order I'm guessing and was just a brainstorm list especially with Ohio State at #23.  I think we need to iron out what teams are going in and are not.  I need Florida on the list (davefmurray back me up here!) and love that they should be one of the worst teams on the game and just like I enjoy being the Patriots on the original game I would love that challenge.  Penn State lost to Temple, they're out!  haha I think putting them in groups of 4 from each conference we want is they way to go.  The majority of people playing the game probably want the big programs over the smaller schools even though I'm a FCS fan.

I have a great base rom from last season to work from with all the helmets done from last year's 32

The list I made was based on about 2 months of research. I just didn't order them when I posted. But I do have divisions

I have a great base rom from last season to work from with all the helmets done from last year's 32

The list I made was based on about 2 months of research. I just didn't order them when I posted. But I do have divisions

Okay great - that saves time.  Are you dead set on those teams?  I would say Clemson replaces NC State for sure.  Also, maybe another BigTen team replaces Penn State.   I know Penn State may be better by the end of the season but not having Michigan on a college game seems wrong.  I feel the same about Texas.  Sure, OK ST will probably be better at season's end but it's just weird.  Buck may want Kansas State too.  I hope you'd consider Florida over Arkansas for the SEC division.  

Having this group below also means a lot of traditional teams would be left out but I like the idea of 4 maybe.  GA SOU running the Triple Option makes me Tecmo happy even though I'm still bitter they came into the Swamp and shocked my Gators.

1. Boise st- Mountain West Champ
  2. Cincinnati- AAC Champ
  3. Toledo- MAC Champ
  4. Western KY- Conference USA Champ
  5. Georgia Southern- Sun Belt Champ

Okay great - that saves time.  Are you dead set on those teams?  I would say Clemson replaces NC State for sure.  Also, maybe another BigTen team replaces Penn State.   I know Penn State may be better by the end of the season but not having Michigan on a college game seems wrong.  I feel the same about Texas.  Sure, OK ST will probably be better at season's end but it's just weird.  Buck may want Kansas State too.  I hope you'd consider Florida over Arkansas for the SEC division.  

Having this group below also means a lot of traditional teams would be left out but I like the idea of 4 maybe.  GA SOU running the Triple Option makes me Tecmo happy even though I'm still bitter they came into the Swamp and shocked my Gators.

1. Boise st- Mountain West Champ

Cincinnati- AAC Champ

Toledo- MAC Champ

Western KY- Conference USA Champ

Georgia Southern- Sun Belt Champ

I'm more apt to put teams that people may not know on the rom than the traditional power houses because roms with those teams have been done a bunch. It will maybe broaden  people's horizons about the sport. I didn't want teams to be on the rom just for the sake of having them on there.

Michigan, Florida, Texas and Clemson all look to be teams who will hover at that 6-6, 7-5 mark. Given a 32 team rom, I thought it would be fitting to give the none power 5 schools some love

Georgia southern runs more of a spread option like Ohio state than triple option. Their coach changed last season, so the days of flexbone triple option are gone. They run a ton of shotgun runs and options.

I don't think we're here to broaden people's horizons about college football.  Really?  I think the majority of people want to play a game with their favorite teams on it is all.  Most people would want to play the game with the traditional rivalries on there I would think.  Florida vs FSU and GA for example.  And, a lot of people have Clemson winning the ACC this season and there is no way they're going 6-6.  Adding schools from outside the big conferences is fine.

So, those are your 32 teams and that's it?

I don't think we're here to broaden people's horizons about college football.  Really?  I think the majority of people want to play a game with their favorite teams on it is all.  Most people would want to play the game with the traditional rivalries on there I would think.  Florida vs FSU and GA for example.  And, a lot of people have Clemson winning the ACC this season and there is no way they're going 6-6.  Adding schools from outside the big conferences is fine.

So, those are your 32 teams and that's it?

By all means no. sorry if I made it come off that way. It's a collaborative project. So if it is deemed better to have traditional then we go traditional.

If you only have 2 divisions for SEC and 1 for each of the other power conferences then you have 7 and the 8th could be the smaller schools.  I always consider throwing ND into the BigTen like the should be!  haha  ND could be in the Independent conference with Boise, Cincinnati, Ga Southern (WKY and TOL would be out).  Boise could be thrown into the Pac Ten too as they probably should be anyway which would open up a spot for a smaller school in their IND division spot but then you'd have to cut a Pac Ten school to add Boise.  The ACC is a mess.  They should almost be booted off the rom except for FSU and maybe CLM.

In my NCAA rom last year, I had two teams that were identical aka even (Army & Navy) and added the worst possible TSB Roster squad that I made Michigan.  Those ideas are fun and I'm just throwing them out there as ideas.  Maybe GA Southern is the worst possible.  We could make the ProBowl rosters even too.  My friends that I play with like to play with even squads.

are the three "rom style" proposals:

1:  8x (I know there are more, but we'll consolidate the weak ones) "conferences" with the best teams from said conference?, or 

2:  the "top 25 or whatever" plus extras?

3:  keirre's teams that he thinks will be cool?

I'm fine with any of these, let's decide on one of these.

pros for the 8x conferences:  lots of team/conference exposure and lots of dynamics

cons: too many dynamics?  we might leave a good team out?

pros for the "top 25": lots of well known teams represented

cons: not many dynamics - because everyones so good?  and also major conferences taking up so much "space"?

pros for keirre's: he knows what he's doing

cons: he might not?  (i'm not saying that, but I had to list a con)

Edited by buck

I think we can come to an agreement with a little compromise if this is a collaborative effort.  Keirre's list is a good start as is my list.  BleacherReport already made a Top25 for Week 2 for what it's worth.  They have most of the teams we have.  Well, except for NC ST!  :-D  Keirre, did you go to NC ST?

Do you both have the Phil Steele 2015 Magazine?  If you do, I won't bother posting the position rankings as you have them.  I can make an Excel sheet pretty quick with what he has done.  In my opinion, his magazine is our best source for ranking the positions.  Keirre, do you agree with his work?  If not, what would you use?  In your 2 months of research, what sources were you using?  Was that research for player, team rankings, or both?