(NES) Tecmonster's TSB 2016 rom

Tecmonster

thumb-61c8ae3b467c122370f9fdbc6b66b6c7-tsbcoverart2016.jpg

File Name: Tecmonster's TSB 2016 rom

File Submitter: Tecmonster

File Submitted: 06 Sep 2015

File Category: NFL By Year

Finally, the work is finished and the fun begins.  The game is attached and so is the second annual "Preview Magazine" to the game.  Madden ratings were used once again to rate every player.  Here's a list of hacks and hack authors used to help create this:

-- 32-team expansion rom (cx_rom, Maynard, Knobbe, others)

-- helmets, field colors (keithisgood)

-- COM looks for open receivers (jstout)

-- COM Ultra Logic to play better defense (jstout)

-- moving & dynamic grapples (bruddog)

-- MAN vs. MAN popcorning (jstout)

-- sort receiving leaders by yards (jstout)

-- more accurate attribute labels, like “Acceleration” (Tecmonster)

-- kicking arrow speed & range to make FG’s easier (Tecmonster)

-- COM minimum kickoff distance (bruddog)

-- increase kickoff ball speed (maynard, bodom)

-- increase shotgun snap speed (jstout)

-- tougher to block FG’s by adding personal protectors (Tecmonster)

-- increase QB fumble rate (jstout)

-- decrease diving animation time slightly (xplozv)

-- decrease handoff animation time (xplozv)

-- COM “juice” edited (by Tecmonster)

-- PA affects “catchability/interceptability” of the pass (jstout)

-- set kick returner farther back (bodom)

-- Ball Control ratios edited so BC means more (by Tecmonster)

-- static schedules from week to week (bruddog)

-- Quickness changed to Coverage (jstout)

-- kick returners use their actual attributes (konforce, jstout)

-- stats screen at halftime (xplozv)

-- corrected playoff bracket (pambazos)

-- MAN-controlled QB rollouts on the rollout plays (Tecmonster)

-- LB’s moved farther back from line of scrimmage (Tecmonster)

-- Run & Shoot QB’s almost never scramble (Tecmonster)

-- “heavy pass” teams don’t pass quite as much (Tecmonster)

-- PLAYBOOKS (I have drastically changed and re-organized the playbooks to make them more useful, logical, balanced, and modern), including: (a) new plays, like the Shotgun Shovel, Shotgun Zone Read RB R, Shotgun Zone Read QB L (with QB HP boost), Shotgun RB Draw, Shotgun Zone Read Red Sea (pass), Shotgun Zone Read X Fly (pass), Shotgun Zone Read RB Flat (pass), Pro Set Quick Pitch L, Pro Set Quick Pitch R, Pro Set Zone Pitch R, 1back Offtackle R, 1back Pitch R, 1back Pitch L, Run and Shoot Fire (pass), Shotgun XZ Cross, 1back Flare C, Pro Z Deep Post; ( B) improved blocking schemes for many run plays; © some receiving routes for existing plays improved; (d) some receiving routes added, like for Oneback Flare A;

-- COM avoids sacks much better + faster COM rollouts (Tecmonster)

-- shorter onside kicks (xplozv)

-- COM RB reacts to the defense sooner after handoff (Tecmonster)

-- smarter OL pass blocking (xplozv)

-- receiver jump/dive based on REC rating (xplozv)

-- defender jump/dive based on COV rating (xplozv)   

-- team rosters, jersey #’s, faces (qbvikings, Tecmonster)

In my opinion, the two coolest plays new to the game this season are the Shotgun Shovel (run slot 1) and the Shotgun Zone Read RB Flat pass (pass slot 4).  The Titans and 49ers have been assigned a full-time Shotgun playbook and they both utilize the Shotgun Shovel so see how your D does against it.

Some of you won't like the fact that I included some out-for-season injured players in the game -- specifically, Kelvin Benjamin, Jordy Nelson, and Orlando Scandrick.  My general rule for injured players is that if there's a massive drop-off in talent from the injured starter to his back-up -- and I define "massive" as a 10+ point difference in their Overall rating in Madden -- then I keep the injured player on the roster.  Otherwise, I have tried to keep the rosters as accurate as possible.  If you don't like having those three guys in the game, then you can remove them in TSBToolSupreme and add in the following players:

Panthers: WR Jerricho Cotchery #82, ratings: 38-38-38-25-56-50 (recommend assigning to WR4 slot)

Packers: WR Jeff Janis #83, ratings: 31-25-63-13-50-44 (recommend assigning to WR4 slot)

Cowboys: CB Morris Claiborne #24, ratings: 56-25-63-19-44-63

On that note, if you do decide to make ANY edits to this game within TSBToolSupreme, then you'll also need to repair the rom afterwards because TSBTool will break part of the moving grapple code and the game will glitch.  So, here's what you do:

I used the Translhextion hex editor to create a zip file, named x3ffc0, and have included that with the rom here.  I recommend opening this zip file and placing the one and only file that is inside it, also called x3ffc0, on your Desktop.  How you apply this file: open up your rom in Translhextion and jump to offset x3ffc0 (by clicking Offset > Jump To).  Highlight (by dragging on) that byte + the next 48 bytes (49 bytes total), then:

1) go to Selection and click "Fill Selection with..."

2) in the pop-up box, select "File" from the dropdown box after "Fill selection with"

3) click "Browse" and find your file (preferably on your Desktop) and select it

4) click "OK"

5) Go "File" and save your rom.

This should fix the problem.  Every time you edit your rom with TSBToolSupreme though, you're going to have to follow these steps directly afterwards.

Files available: (1) Tecmonster's TSB 2016 game rom (2) Preview Magazine (3) Fantasy Appendix (4) Team Playbooks.  I was going to upload the x3ffc0 repair file, but the site won't let me upload zip files right now, so maybe later.

Have fun, hope you like it . . .

Click here to download this file

I played a quick game with the Raiders. I like the new plays (shovel pass =  awesome). The preview magazine was better than most official previews you see online (seriously, some of them are absolutely awful compared to yours). 

There is one thing that I'd like to know if you could do for next year's rom: Could you get rid of the split-back formation and its plays, and replace it with another variation of the shotgun? I just thought of this since no team uses this archaic formation anymore, and your rom is very realistic when it comes to everything else.

According to this preview, their are four deadlocks (Denver, New Engand, Seattle, and Philadelphia) to make the playoffs and seven darkhorse Super Bowl contenders (Green Bay, Detroit, Dallas, Carolina, Kansas City, Baltimore, and Buffalo).  That means according to this rom hack, the AFC South title will come down to either Indianapolis or Houston with neither team very likely to get much done in the postseason.  And other teams that are just as unlikely to reach the Super Bowl as these two, but still have a shot at making the playoffs?  Miami, New York Jets, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, San Diego, Oakland, New York Giants, Minnesota (really?), Atlanta, Tampa Bay, and San Francisco.

That leaves the playoff longshots of the NFL:  Cleveland Browns, Tennessee Titans, Washington Redskins, Chicago Bears, New Orleans Saints, St. Louis, and Arizona.  The Jaguars aren't even good enough to be called longshots; they're just the bottom-of-the-barrel NFL team.

I don't know about some of you guys, but I think the 49ers and Cardinals ought to have their placements switched, as well as Carolina with Minnesota, and Indianapolis with Dallas.  Short an NFC team?  That's because it's the NFC South that is filled with playoff hopefuls, but nothing short of a Super Bowl darkhorse.

NFL teams ranks in accordance to this ROM:

1.  New England Patriots

2.  Denver Broncos

3.  Philadelphia Eagles

4.  Seattle Seahawks

5.  Green Bay Packers

6.  Buffalo Bills

7.  Dallas Cowboys

8.  Baltimore Ravens

9.  Kansas City Chiefs

10.Carolina Panthers

11.Detroit Lions

12.Indianapolis Colts

13.Houston Texans

14.Minnesota Vikings

15.Cincinnati Bengels

16.Pittsburgh Steelers

17.San Diego Chargers

18.Miami Dolphins

19.San Francisco 49ers

20.New York Giants

21.Atlanta Falcons

22.New York Jets

23.Tampa Bay Buccaneers

24.Oakland Raiders

25.New Orleans Saints

26.Arizona Cardinals

27.Tennessee Titans

28.St. Louis Rams

29.Chicago Bears

30.Washington Redskins

31.Cleveland Browns

32.Jacksonville Jaguars

I played a quick game with the Raiders. I like the new plays (shovel pass =  awesome). The preview magazine was better than most official previews you see online (seriously, some of them are absolutely awful compared to yours). 

There is one thing that I'd like to know if you could do for next year's rom: Could you get rid of the split-back formation and its plays, and replace it with another variation of the shotgun? I just thought of this since no team uses this archaic formation anymore, and your rom is very realistic when it comes to everything else.

Maybe some day, but I'd really like to be done with playbooks once and for all.  Every time I think I'm done creating plays, I get pulled back in, usually by myself.  Besides, a lot of teams still run plays with two guys (though not necessarily running backs, and one guy is usually in motion) in the backfield.

Bell is not as good as he should have been tho.

I tend to agree, but he actually could've been slower.  Madden gave him a Speed rating of just 88 and an unimpressive Trucking rating of 84.  An 88 Madden speed rating normally equates to just a 50 TSB Speed rating, but I started a new system this year where I bump up or bump down their Speed ratings (or keep it the same) depending on how much better or worse their Overall rating is than the average Overall rating.  So it rewards good running backs who may not have good measurable speed, and penalizes track stars who can't figure out how to play football.  So, Bell's Speed rating was increased from 50 to 56 because of his excellent Overall rating.  On the flip side of that, but on the same team, Dri Archer was downgraded from 69 (the top rating possible) to 63 in Speed.

Remember, in this rom, it's not all about speed though.  By assigning a low RP ("Acceleration") range across the board, then Quickness and Acceleration are important too.  Archer's ratings are nearly rock-bottom in both categories, so he's definitely not in Bell's class as a runner, especially when you factor in his 13 HP.  If you can get Archer out in space as a receiver where he can build up to that high speed before having to make some cuts, then he's much more useful.

Mike, there are definitely some questionable predictions imbedded in that Team Outlook section.  A large reason for that is the result of using a simple point counting system for all starting offensive and defensive players. 

I will admit that not only, for instance, should a RB1's rating be weighted more heavily than RB2 in a 1back offense, but the categories WITHIN each player's profile should be weighted differently too.  For instance, I think most people would agree that an offensive lineman's HP rating would comprise at least 75% of his overall value to the team but my current system assigns an even 25% weight to each of the four OL attributes.  I do this because it's the easiest way, not because I think it's accurate.

Madden uses a weighted system to rate each player and each team, and that's much better.  I think if I decided to do that, you'd see a team like this year's Steelers get elevated from Playoff Contender to Super Bowl Contender, and might even challenge for inclusion as a Super Bowl Favorite.

I have a Nexus 7 android tablet with the NES Nostalgia app and I cannot get the app to find this ROM.  I can download the ROM but when I open the NES Nostalgia app it does not find it.  Any advice?  I actually deleted last year ROM and then reloaded it to see if I would have any issues and I had no issues with NES Nostalgia finding last years ROM. 

Monster, did you know your Fantasy Index this year does not have Defense, OL, DL, LB, DB, Team Summary or your Reno League Pages like your 2015's edition did?  It was 6 page last year and this year it's 2.  :-)   Love all of it and was wondering if you were going to add those later.  Thanks!

Why is Mariota rated so high? He's better than most QB's on the game.

Madden player ratings are generous to rookies.  That said, his passing ratings (excluding the four "core" attributes RS, RP, MS, and HP) probably rank in the lower half of all starters in the league, if I bothered to crunch the numbers.  I personally think Mariota is going to be a star within the next few years, and Winston will be a bust. 

I tried the johnnes lite app and that would not find the ROM either. One thing I notice is that all of the roms I download from tecmobowl.org including yours from last year show a .nes at the end of the file name this ROM shows up as tecmonster& It is disappointing I am really looking forward to playing this. It is strange because I have not had any problems with other tecmo.org ROMs. Any other advice?

I got the ROM to download.  I downloaded it onto my computer first and then transferred it to my tablet.  Thanks for putting this game together.  It is so enjoyable to play an updated and modern version of the best football game ever.  Love the new plays.  I don't know why anyone would want to play Madden over this.

The two main things I never liked about Madden is that I find it slow paced compared to Tecmo and second it is not very fun to play defense on Madden and your defensive skills don't influence the game as much as it does in Tecmo.  On Madden you can only use a linebacker or a D-lineman to rush the passer or play containment it is nearly impossible to play in the secondary.  In TSB you can use any defensive player and either play coverage, blitz, or play containment.

first of all, you have done an amazing job.  very well done.  i love the new plays and formation.  i just grabbed the dolphins and ran with the stock playbook and it plays very well.

my only beef is the moving blocking/grapple.  i'm not sure what algorithm you are using, but SUH, got pushed back by just about anyone including RGIII.  I have seen RGIII on ocassion push back on topple over people,, which should never happen.

also, after the first week of football in the books, the leading passer was johhnny manziel who was 8 of 8 for 5 TD.  that's just crazy talk right there.