Bill Bates - a tribute... or question? TSB Ratings?

kamphuna8

The original special teams maven. I was watching this playoff game vs the Bears in 1991 and I forgot how it had ended. After taking a 17-6 lead, the Cowboys offense went cold, and the defense stepped up. Tom Waddle played through what looked like multiple concussions and caught a TD pass to cut it to 17-13 with 3 minutes or so left. Bears forced a punt and after the 2 minute warning Harbaugh had a chance to lead the Bears to victory in front of the home crowd. Harbaugh scrambled and ran for some yards before getting crunched, and losing the ball, recovered by Bill Bates. They ruled that it wasn't a fumble (incorrectly methinks) then on the very next play, Bill Bates drops back in zone coverage and snatches it to seal the win. It brought back memories and moved me to see how moved Bates was, he was visibly emotional, moreso than your normal I just won the game for my team. Knowing his history it's understandable why.

He tore his ACL early in 1992 and never played, but was there for the 93 and 95 Super Bowls, so amen for that.

My question is what kind of ratings would Bill Bates get if he was in TSB. It's hard for me to think of any of the DBs getting moved out for him, Holt and Hendrix were the corners and should be there. Horton, a plan B free agency guy from Cincinatti also deserved to be there and of course JW as well, James Washington. Bates was a nickel guy buy TSB time, but man I loved him.

I'm thinking he would be slow, like 25rs 31rp 38ms slow, maybe even 31. But he could pop you. Referring to Bates' reputation as a hard hitter, John Madden stated, "Every game starts with a kick. With Bill Bates on the field, every game begins with a bang!" he was not a big guy but he was all heart. perhaps a 56 or 63hp. and a 38int?

Thoughts?