(NES) QBVIKINGS TSB 2015-2016 Season ROM

qbvikings

I'm curious if QB Vikings would even consider a roster update that would more closely follow that of the actual season after the Preseason is over.  Not gonna complain if he doesn't; he even gave us two versions for us dedicated to those who'd prefer either Tim Tebow or Mark Sanchez for crying out loud.

Something I do plan on doing is simple:  Once the preseason comes to an end, I'm going to start using Tecmo Super Bowl 2015-2016 as a means of simulating my weekly predictions.  I'll probably wind up giving all 32 teams a couple of try-outs in the preseason as a means of figuring out who is for real and who is not (as well as getting a feel on how each team is meant to be played), though I probably will not be using this as a total gauge as to how each game will play out.  It will simply be used as a means of simulating my own predictions, and how it will ultimately measure up in contrast to how the actual season plays out.  I will make changes in accordance to the winning-losing trends as they come, as well as a change in starters as injuries begin to mount.  But as far as preseason goes, I seek to measure just how good some of these teams really are.

And yes, I will be playing the Juiced Tebow version of the game, so if anything bad happens to Bradford, and it is Mark Sanchez that takes over the QB job, I will be stuck with Tebow.

Okay, a couple of notes on a few teams on this rom hack:

Buffalo Bills:  This team is meant to function as a field-position team ultimately.  It wears down opposing defenses on long drives while going for a kill on shorter fields.  This is evident by the fact that, in spite of the talented receivers and running back, the quarterback isn't really that great.  Matt Cassell is probably the better choice to start, though the primary function is that the team forces 3-and-outs for good field position if need be, or better yet, force turnovers and capitalize on opposing mistakes from the offense.  The benefit with having Taylor over Cassell is that while Cassell is much more likely to complete his passes towards his receivers (especially if the opportunity to throw it deep presents itself), at least Taylor can scramble a lot better.  Though with Taylor, if you need to complete a pass, keep it short, and go strictly for your most open receivers, and let the talent themselves do all the work.

Miami Dolphins:  Miami's primary functionality is that of a passing offense without much of a ground game to go for it.  The defense, while it isn't great, is designed to rush the QB mostly; you use Nose Tackle Dmonikuhn Su (or however you spell his name) to open the lanes so that your inside and outside linebackers can run in for the kill.  This means the team can cover the ground game as well, but it's not very good at covering deep passes.  Force three-and-outs, and allow Ryan Tannehill to direct his offense.

New England Patriots:  This is pretty much the good version of the Miami Dolphins.  Pass game is excellent, but ground game is not.  However, LaGarrett Blount would make for a much better second-half power runner; you hop up with a big league early in the first half, and then you power run and give the opposition little chance at a comeback.  On defense, not only can you rush the passer much easier and stop the run, but your secondary is smart enough to run in and cover the pass while you're doing it.  It only makes sense that the best team of the century thus far possesses the most complete package.

New York Jets:  One dimensional offense meets one-dimensional defense.  In spite of a great receiving corps that includes the likes of Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker (both former Denver Broncos), Geno Smith is not a great passer.  However, where the Bills and Jets have an offensive failure in common with the pass, the Jets have by far the best starting running back in the AFC East in the form of Chris Ivory, and thus should be your primary offensive weapon when you start out the game.  Defensively speaking, unlike the Bills or Patriots, the Jets are only either very good at stopping the run or stopping the pass at any given time; and even when you do make the choice, your blitzing options probably are not going to be that great since, even when covered, the Jets' secondary has a bad habit of allowing receivers to catch the balls and get away from coverage soon after.  However, with that said, the more rewarding offer at large would be to guard against the Pass (unless the team predominantly focuses on the run); the reason for this is because while the Passing Game isn't that great, when your defensive players do make a move, they can capitalize easily on a touchdown (plus, breaking through the offensive line is easier this way).  In other words, the Defensive line and secondary are both good, but not great; the secondary makes the most out of its opportunities, whereas the best the defensive line can do is rush the passer.  Run the ball a lot, and then spread out the offense to close out the game.

I'll cover the AFC North tomorrow.  In total, here's my order of preference as far as playing styles in the AFC East is concerned:

1.  New England Patriots (great passing game; decent power runner; and a defensive scheme that can do everything at once if need be).

2.  Buffalo Bills (you're not going to make too many offensive plays here, but the defensive line will ensure that you probably won't have to make too many of them).

3.  New York Jets (mostly run, and then shut down the passing game; attack the run only when facing a top tier running back).

4.  Miami Dolphins (shockingly enough, the only thing the Dolphins can do is pass the ball and open the lanes for the linebackers to rush the QB).

Okay, a few more thoughts on a number of other NFL teams, this time from the AFC North:

Baltimore Ravens:  One of the most well-rounded teams in the NFL, and easily the best in the AFC North--at least according to this game.  A good, sturdy offensive line meets a fairly aggressive defensive line (not as good as New England's, but they get the job done at rushing the QB).  Forsett isn't the greatest running back in the world, but he'll get you your first downs easily enough.  And yes, the air attack is pretty good too (the receivers are not the best in the world, but they spread out pretty well enough, and Joe Flacco is accurate enough a passer as well).  Pushing it over-the-top is one of the best special teams units in the entire game--putting the Buffalo Bills' to shame even.

Cincinnati Bengels:  The passing game is pretty good; running attack, not so much.  Cincinnati's offensive line is pretty problematic, so this isn't entirely Hill's fault.  This means that it should be pretty easy to pressure Andy Dalton and force him to make some costly turnovers.  Defensively speaking, they're pretty good, but not great.  A fairly average team that can win games, but will otherwise cave under pressure whenever it presents itself.

Cleveland Browns:  The defense is the best in the AFC North while their offense is by far the worst.  Cannot run the football at all, and you can't pass the ball around for crap.  This means this team fails at whatever offensive strategy you throw at these guys; your best bet is to simply get lucky to force the turnovers and capitalize on points.  Trust me; all of my touchdowns against the Broncos during preseason were off of turnovers--all two of them.  I otherwise was dependent on field goals and a safety to win.  But if the Browns were to face a dynamic offense, nine times out of ten, they're going to get killed.

Pittsburgh Steelers:  Very similar to the Baltimore Ravens in functionality; pretty well balanced, though their running attack is much better.  And this is in spite of a questionable offensive line.  Their defense surrenders far too many yards for my liking, so I guess they're the polar opposite to the steel curtain of old--aggressive offense with a questionable defense.

So here's the order in which each of these four teams would fall under:

1.  Baltimore Ravens--barely

2.  Pittsburgh Steelers--close second

3.  Cincinnati Bengels

4.  Cleveland Browns--a shame that this team just can't catch a break

Note:  In spite of this, what tilts the balance of power somewhat is the degree of difficulty when it comes to their schedules.  This means whoever wins this division will almost certainly win the number four seed while the rest misses the playoffs.

Covering the AFC South now:

Houston Texans:  By far the most fun team to play as in the division.  Okay, so you do not exactly have an explosive offense.  But I got two names for you:  J. J. Watt, and Arian Foster.  Arian Foster is the cornerstone of an offense that doesn't have much in the way of receivers (and nothing special at QB), and J. J. Watt, well, can force turnover on downs during a punt return!  This makes the Texans the ultimate field position team there is, and my pick to be the best team in the AFC South--at least in Tecmo (chances are, the coaching staff over at Houston fails to realize this; besides, Arian Foster is going to miss some time in real life due to injuries).  Of course, that's only the Juiced version.  Defense is the best offense, but your offense is adequate enough in the air, and explosive on the ground.

Indianapolis Colts:  Shockingly enough, this is not a good football team in this version.  The offensive line is a joke, and the defensive front seven is slow as hell.  While you could get by on the run defense, you can't blitz the passer for crap, meaning they will still kick your arse in the air.  RB Frank Gore is adequate, but not behind the kind of offensive line that can allow easy sacks for Andrew Luck.  And while the passing game is good, it is hampered severely by an atrocious play book. and offensive system.  You would think the one good team in the real life AFC South to be fun to play, but it really isn't.

Jacksonville Jaguars:  Playing this team makes the Tecmo Bowl Wimps in the Ultimate Challenge look like the 1985 Bears in QB Vikings' 1985 season of Tecmo Super Bowl.  They are pretty much like the Colts, but worse in every single way imaginable.  The atrocious offensive line matches the Colts in crappiness, but matches the Browns as far as offensive capabilities go; the only difference is, it's got an aggressive playbook.  The defensive line, just like the Colts, is so slow that nobody could reach the QB even in a blitz; cannot stop the run, and cannot cover the receivers.  At all.  If the Jaguars are this bad in real life, I would not be surprised.  A complete and total joke in every conceivable way.

Tennessee Titans:  The Titans are surprisingly enough a much better team this year than the Indianapolis Colts.  Granted, their offensive line isn't that great, and their defense is one-dimensional--yet effective when you make the playcalling--especially in relation to the type of team you are playing.  The running game, aerial attack, and receivers are all better--though it warrants a more conservative approach compared to that of some of the more explosive offenses--than that of the Colts; their playbook is better; and the Kick and Punt Returners are a godsend and the best in the AFC South.  This team seems to function a bit more like the Houston Texans or Buffalo Bills, only without the aggressive defense to back it up.  But regardless, they play a ton better than the Colts do.

And thus, here's my personal rankings of all the AFC South teams of the 2015-2016 Tecmo Super Bowl:

1.  Houston Texans

2.  Tennessee Titans

3.  Indianapolis Colts

4.  Jacksonville Jaguars (and I'd personally go as far back as being a contender for worst team in the entire NFL)

Next time, AFC West!

Covering the AFC South now:

Houston Texans:  By far the most fun team to play as in the division.  Okay, so you do not exactly have an explosive offense.  But I got two names for you:  J. J. Watt, and Arian Foster.  Arian Foster is the cornerstone of an offense that doesn't have much in the way of receivers (and nothing special at QB), and J. J. Watt, well, can force turnover on downs during a punt return!  This makes the Texans the ultimate field position team there is, and my pick to be the best team in the AFC South--at least in Tecmo (chances are, the coaching staff over at Houston fails to realize this; besides, Arian Foster is going to miss some time in real life due to injuries).  Of course, that's only the Juiced version.  Defense is the best offense, but your offense is adequate enough in the air, and explosive on the ground.

Indianapolis Colts:  Shockingly enough, this is not a good football team in this version.  The offensive line is a joke, and the defensive front seven is slow as hell.  While you could get by on the run defense, you can't blitz the passer for crap, meaning they will still kick your arse in the air.  RB Frank Gore is adequate, but not behind the kind of offensive line that can allow easy sacks for Andrew Luck.  And while the passing game is good, it is hampered severely by an atrocious play book. and offensive system.  You would think the one good team in the real life AFC South to be fun to play, but it really isn't.

Jacksonville Jaguars:  Playing this team makes the Tecmo Bowl Wimps in the Ultimate Challenge look like the 1985 Bears in QB Vikings' 1985 season of Tecmo Super Bowl.  They are pretty much like the Colts, but worse in every single way imaginable.  The atrocious offensive line matches the Colts in crappiness, but matches the Browns as far as offensive capabilities go; the only difference is, it's got an aggressive playbook.  The defensive line, just like the Colts, is so slow that nobody could reach the QB even in a blitz; cannot stop the run, and cannot cover the receivers.  At all.  If the Jaguars are this bad in real life, I would not be surprised.  A complete and total joke in every conceivable way.

Tennessee Titans:  The Titans are surprisingly enough a much better team this year than the Indianapolis Colts.  Granted, their offensive line isn't that great, and their defense is one-dimensional--yet effective when you make the playcalling--especially in relation to the type of team you are playing.  The running game, aerial attack, and receivers are all better--though it warrants a more conservative approach compared to that of some of the more explosive offenses--than that of the Colts; their playbook is better; and the Kick and Punt Returners are a godsend and the best in the AFC South.  This team seems to function a bit more like the Houston Texans or Buffalo Bills, only without the aggressive defense to back it up.  But regardless, they play a ton better than the Colts do.

And thus, here's my personal rankings of all the AFC South teams of the 2015-2016 Tecmo Super Bowl:

1.  Houston Texans

2.  Tennessee Titans

3.  Indianapolis Colts

4.  Jacksonville Jaguars (and I'd personally go as far back as being a contender for worst team in the entire NFL)

Next time, AFC West!

These are great! Thanks for posting. Yeah, my rom predicts a rough year for the Colts, not as good as everyone thinks they are.

These are great! Thanks for posting. Yeah, my rom predicts a rough year for the Colts, not as good as everyone thinks they are.

Which is odd because you'd think this means a big turnaround for some of these franchises (except the Jaguars) with a big downward slump for the Colts.  But that will ultimately fall under the coaching staff and the players themselves.  What may translate perfectly in Tecmo Super Bowl may not necessarily carry over in real life (so far, the closest thing to this was Jacksonville being horrendous, Baltimore and Pittsburgh being pretty good, and New England being one of the best teams in the league).

I already got done playing with the Broncos, Chiefs, and Raiders.  Now all that's left to do is play the San Diego Chargers, and I'll cover the AFC West (btw, the Broncos, Chiefs, and Raiders play exceptionally well).

Just finished up with the AFC West:

Denver Broncos:  The offensive line and the defensive line is tough as nails (really, only the most dominant defenses--so far proving to be Seattle, Houston, and New England--are capable of pressuring Peyton Manning).  The offense combines explosive pass plays with field positioning.  The running game isn't as good as KC or Oakland's, but it's still pretty good, amplified considerably given the strength of the Oline.  Defensively speaking, while one-dimensional yet again, becomes possessed when swarming either air attack or the ground game.  It's a little difficult to get used to, but it's easily one of the best NFL teams in the game.

Kansas City Chiefs:  Adequate receiving corps, though lacks a certain punch.  The real threat offensively speaking is RB Jamaal Charles, who is one of the best RB's in the entire game.  The front seven is also pretty dominant, although the secondary is a bit of a weakness.  That means rushing the passer and suffocating the run is this team's expertise defensively, while the offense is run first and pass later.  Given the playbook, this team would have been the most fun, explosive team in the division not counting the Broncos if not for the fact that this team doesn't have that great a receiving corps.

Oakland Raiders:  The good news so far is that this is one of the most dominant offenses in Tecmo Super Bowl 2015-2016, surpassing even the likes of the New England Patriots.  Not only does this team have a great passing game and a receiving corps to back up Derrek Carr, but the Raiders even have one of the better running backs in the entire game.  Defensively speaking, the defensive line isn't that great, but they are pretty good against the pass, forcing three interceptions during my pratice run against one of the better passing teams in the NFL--the Pittsburgh Steelers.  They are second only to the Denver Broncos for best team in the AFC West--the Broncos win out by virtue of their possessed defense.

San Diego Chargers:  Offensively speaking, this team is the bizzaro Kansas City Chiefs; their offensive line is terrible, and your running game isn't very good.  But the passing game is explosive.  Defensively speaking, they're not impressive.  The front seven is slow as mollasses, so don't even think about rushing the passer (with blitzes rarely ever working), especially since the secondary doesn't cover the receivers very well.  You might get by at shutting down the run, but that just opens the way for an aerial assault the likes of which the Chargers have no answers for.  This team is especially hampered by playbooks that favor the shotgun formation, because that means you won't be able to stop anybody.  They're a pretty good team, but my least favorite in the AFC West by virtue of their defense (though a broken offensive line hurts just as well).

And thus, here's the order in which the four teams fall under:

1.  Denver Broncos

2.  Oakland Raiders (close second)

3.  Kansas City Chiefs

4.  San Diego Chargers

And thus, the order of the entire AFC:

1.  New England Patriots

2.  Denver Broncos

3.  Oakland Raiders
4.  Houston Texans

5.  Baltimore Ravens

6.  Tennessee Titans

7.  Buffalo Bills

8.  Pittsburgh Steelers

9.  New York Jets

10.Kansas City Chiefs

11.Miami Dolphins

12.San Diego Chargers

13.Cincinnati Bengels

14.Indianapolis Colts

15.Cleveland Browns

16.Jacksonville Jaguars

Edited by Mike Gordan

I've started a full season with the Jaguars and, while not ideal, they're not that bad. The QB speed is average (which helps to scramble when the O-Line inevitably breaks down immediately) and some of the receivers catch the ball (As well, Lee has pretty good speed). Well... at least so far lol. 

I've started a full season with the Jaguars and, while not ideal, they're not that bad. The QB speed is average (which helps to scramble when the O-Line inevitably breaks down immediately) and some of the receivers catch the ball (As well, Lee has pretty good speed). Well... at least so far lol. 

Try the Juiced version.  There, the offensive and defensive lines are a huge deal--and the Jaguars are virtually useless in every way imaginable.

Great work on the notes, MG. If I ever have a critical match-up, I'll take your scouting into consideration.

And thus, the order of the entire AFC:

1.  New England Patriots

2.  Denver Broncos

3.  Oakland Raiders
4.  Houston Texans

.  .   .   .  .  .  .  .  .  . 

Whoa, QB Vikings ... really?! Are the Raiders truly playoff bound? That's pretty sweet if they are -- a refreshing remix of the AFC power balance. If the Raiders and Texans make the playoffs, not only will that give Vegas fits, but you will be a genius.

Let's see, I recently moved to CHI-town, so I think I'll start a season with da bears.

(even though I have to acknowledge, as a Packers fan, that they 'still suck')

Okay, time to cover the NFC East--though almost all of them have similar playstyles; basically, an explosive offense with a one-dimensional defensive scheme (the Eagles are the closest thing to an odd duck in this division):

Dallas Cowboys:  As far as explosive production goes, this team's best way to go is the aerial attack.  This is because, while McFadden can gain a ton of yards and works in this offense, the problem is, he fumbles the ball.  A lot.  So if you're going to run the ball a lot (and in some matchups, you probably will), I would suggest that you run out of bounds before the opposing defense can tackle you down.  Defensively speaking, this team isn't great, but decent.  I suggest, however, that you focus on covering the pass, since your defensive line is too slow to tackle down the QB without assistance from the blitz.  That means this team will likely struggle against the run.  Overall, a pretty good football team.

New York Giants:  Yet another instance of an explosive offense with a so-so defense.  The problem, however, is that the offensive and defensive lines are not very good.  That means almost every play from scrimmage will feel like a blitz with the exception of your running attack--Jennings can outrun most defenders.  That means the running attack should be your main focus--in spite the presence of a Manning QB.  Defensively speaking, this team cannot cover the pass very well, nor can it rush the passer, making it a sore weakness.  The only thing the Giants can do better than the Cowboys is run the football--and even then, that's mainly because Jennings doesn't fumble the ball as often as McFadden.

Philadelphia Eagles:  The Eagles are an, um...quirky offense.  Mixes in the no-huddle with a number of trick pass plays.  And even then, the no-huddle offense seems to pay very little dividends per play.  The running game is the team's strong suit--with FB Darren Sproles and TB DeMarco Murray anchoring in the offense--and even then, the team is designed to mix it up, and systematically work your way downfield.  Kick and Punt Returners are quick and nimble as well.  Defensively, this is the only team in the division that is capable of rushing the passer AND cover the receivers at the same time.  As a result, the front seven is the best in the entire division (that means your focus should be to cover the pass while using the ILB and NT to shut down the run and get your sacks).  The Cowboys may be the more balanced football club, but the Eagles are the most efficient.

Washington Redskins:  Great offense, though the complete nonexistence of an offensive line (perhaps to signify RGIII's glass cannon status nowadays) means that every offensive play will be a frantic one, as every play will feel like you're running for your life.  Defensively speaking, this team cannot rush the passer, and yet stopping the run is the best thing this team is good for.  Even if you do cover the receivers, you're not going to force too many incompletions or interceptions.  All this team can do defensively is slow down progress.

As such, here's my predictions on the NFC East in how they would rank (and is oddly enough, the order in which I predict the division will finish in):

1.  Philadelphia Eagles

2.  Dallas Cowboys

3.  New York Giants

4.  Washington Redskins

Now to cover the NFC North:

Chicago Bears:  In spite an atrocious offensive line and a slow-as-molasses defense, this is a surprisingly good team.  And is proof positive that the Bears could be an elite NFL franchise if Jay Cutler simply had the leadership skills and the Quarterback smarts necessary to run this offense in real life.  It is also a sign of relief knowing that the vast majority of your offensive pass plays are shotgun formations, and Matt Forte can escape from the rush effectively.  Though due to the poor offensive line, this means rather than an explosive approach where every play is scoring, you'd have to play methodical; luckily, once you hand the ball to your receivers, you let them loose, and they'll take care of the rest.  And since your defense is too slow to rush the passer, and you cannot possibly stop the run once you forego it, my recommendation is to focus on the run, and let your corners and safeties slow down the receivers (because they won't allow them to get wide open).  Bend, but don't break; and then let the offense put the game away.  Also, your special teams are incredible--especially when it comes to field goal and PAT formations--impressive given how underwhelming your defenders are.

Detroit Lions:  This team is essentially a better version of the Chicago Bears; operates from the shotgun due to a not-quite-so-sturdy offensive line, though the line is certainly better.  And defensively speaking, this team is one of the few in Tecmo Super Bowl that seems to be constantly possessed.  They can rush the passer and cover the pass exceptionally well--so much so that you can plug in your linebackers to shut down the run and/or get in a sack.  If the Lions played aggressive football like they would here, they could win the Super Bowl this year (it all depends on the coaching staff and the player culture).

Green Bay Packers:  An explosive offense meets an a one-dimensional defense.  You can either stop the run or cover the pass; you can do either well, but not both simultaneously.  Special teams was also pretty weak.  It's hard to gauge who is better between the Bears and the Packers, though if I were to pick who the better fourth quarter team would be, it'd be the Bears due to their bend-don't-break defensive scheme.  But the Packers can and will put up a ton of points in a single game, and can lean on the run if necessary.  I'm leaning towards the Packers by virtue of the fact that their offensive line is at least a little sturdier, and Aaron Rodgers can scramble.

Minnesota Vikings:  Green Bay's explosive offense meets a defense that is borderline berserk (it ranks second behind Detroit in the division).  Adrien Peterson is arguably the best running back in the entire game (still need to test out Marshawn Lynch and the Seattle Seahawks, as well as the remaining half of the NFC).  It's not a possessed secondary, but it can still play aggressively on defense should you defend against the pass, and let the front seven rush the defense (you won't shut down the run, but you will be able to slow it down).  The only problem that I have is the playbook in regards to Adrien Peterson--change it, because having him run on the south side of the field repeatedly isn't a sound offensive strategy.

And now, I have the difficult task of ranking the entire NFC North--since all four of these teams are quite good in this version of Tecmo Super Bowl:

1.  Minnesota Vikings

2.  Detroit Lions

3.  Green Bay Packers

4.  Chicago Bears

And this is no slap in the face against Green Bay or Chicago fans; all four of these teams play very well.

Edit:  No, I will not be updating my Tecmo roster based on the updated version of this game.

Edited by Mike Gordan

Now, to cover the NFC South (which houses the game's most explosive offense versus the game's most dominant defense):

Atlanta Falcons:  This team is a glass cannon offense, and even then, it's a one-dimensional glass cannon offense.  All you can do is throw the ball and maybe occassionally run; I say occassionally because the offensive line is so poor, and your running game .  Defensively?  Feh.  Fat chance.  You can either cover the pass or stop the run; guess wrong, and the oppossing offense is long gone. The only way you can possibly rush the QB is the occassional blitz, so forget about it.  The only thing worth mentioning when it comes to a positive would have to be the fact that the punt and kick returner is the one and only Devin Hester--who can still go all the way for a touchdown.  Otherwise, this team is all offense with no defense.

Carolina Panthers:  I was able to score 99 unanswered points exactly during my preseason game--57 of these points were scored by the defense.  This team's defense just plain destroys everything; the only fault is that it is--you guessed it--a one-dimensional defense.  But, between a pass or run call, you guess right (regardless if it's the accurate play call), you can utterly swarm and demolish the competition (in other words, it's not 1 in 8 shot at decimating opponents; it's 50/50).  Offensively speaking, it's fine.  It's anchored by a dominant offensive line, a scrambler in Cam Newton; some decent options at the receiving corp, and one hell of a running back in Jonathan Stewart.  Play this team right, and you'd be next to invincible--and that's saying a lot since this secondary isn't necessarily a possesssed secondary.

New Orleans Saints:  While the Panthers are the most explosive defense in the league, the Saints are the most explosive offense in the league.  This combines a no-hudle offense with a shotgun formation, and with one hell of a strong offensive line, one can wait comfortably for an eternity for you receivers to get far downfied, and let it rip.  In fact, the offensive line is so strong that either Mark Ingram or C. J. Spiller could outrun the secondary and gain some serious yardage.  Defense isn't as strong, though it's an effective bend-don't-break mutlidimensional defense.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers:  This team reminds me quite a bit of the Chicago Bears in that the offensive line is complete crap, and yet there's enough dimensionality and skill in the receiving corps to warrant being a pretty good football club.  The difference, however, is that the defense is much more capable and aggressive than the slow defensive players of the Bears.  As a result, I would have to put them slightly higher on the hiearchy than the Bears.  Still a good team though.

And now, the ranking of all the NFC South teams:

1.  Carolina Panthers (by virtue of the classic saying that defense wins championships)

2.  New Orleans Saints (close second, though)

3.  Tampa Bay Buccaneers

4.  Atlanta Falcons

Last but not least, the NFC West.